Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 1100
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larry Endomorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    217

    Mongoose Beast modifications

    I started another thread ( Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks! ) hoping that it would be about the bike itself and modifying the bike. It didn't work. I'm going to try again.

    I knew what I was getting into, and I'm glad I bought my Beast. I'm not saying it is an awful bike. My premise is that the bike is close to unrideable in its stock form. It's way too heavy and the gearing is way too hard. The bike will be modified! This ought to be fun!

    Let's keep this thread to discussions about the bike!

    How have you modified your Beast? What parts did you use? How much weight did you save? Got any pictures?
    Out to ride

  2. #2
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    How have you modified your Beast? What parts did you use? How much weight did you save? Got any pictures?

    Thanks for starting this again!

    I might drill out my wheels later this afternoon.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jvm051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360
    So does the rear take a special cog to change the gearing or just a standard cog?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post

    I might drill out my wheels later this afternoon.
    Would you please weigh your wheels before and after. Especially the front. Maybe we can make some deductions to arrive at the approximate weight of the rim itself.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Mine doesn't arrive until next week ... But if no one has done so by then, I'll throw up any and every number I can think of as they relate to sizes, geometry, and weight (to the limits of my scale).

    Tires = Already have a set of Origin8 Devist8er's on the way, and I'll give an impression of them, also ... But must admit that I can only compare them a standard width MTB tires that I have ridden, so it won't be a proper comparison.

    My intention is to ride it for a bit, and sort things out, but am thinking along the lines of widening a set of disc capable hubs Al La Sryanak's method - Widening a hub ?

    Then coming up with appropriate mounts for the calipers, and investigating at the same time, what a triple chainring might do for things.

    The basic idea being that as many components as possible be taken from the junk box, or salvaged off an as yet to be found donor bike.

    It will never be ultra-high-tech and modern, but what I buy today is usually soon outdated, anyway.

  6. #6
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    I started another thread ( Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks! ) hoping that it would be about the bike itself and modifying the bike. It didn't work. I'm going to try again.

    I knew what I was getting into, and I'm glad I bought my Beast. I'm not saying it is an awful bike. My premise is that the bike is close to unrideable in its stock form. It's way too heavy and the gearing is way too hard. The bike will be modified! This ought to be fun!

    Let's keep this thread to discussions about the bike!

    How have you modified your Beast? What parts did you use? How much weight did you save? Got any pictures?


    Can you post pics of the bottom bracket?

  7. #7
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    az, it's a cup and cone square taper bb. 68mm diameter, and really long. i saw a picture somewhere. i think it was the blogger with the "90 of the fun at 10 percent of the cost" post. not that post, but one of the followups. edit: nope, not that one.

    Bikeabuser posted it below. Thank you, BA.
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 03-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Thanks Gents.

  10. #10
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643

    Weights

    Tire 1........2821g
    Tire 2........2785g

    F.Wheel.....1846g
    R.Wheel.....2713g

    Tube 1.......743g
    Tube 2.......750g

    Rim Strips...95g/ea

    Bar+Grips...671g

    Post.........449g
    Seat... who cares

    Crank.....1180g

    Pedals......379g

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    113
    Hmmm, this is interesting.

    Sounds like the rim weighs less than 1300 grams and maybe somewhere as low as 1250 grams before drilling. Not too bad considering the very thin walled Flattop 100s were about 1130 before drilling and heck even the Uma 90s are about 1080 grams even with the lightening holes.

    That WAG is based on the assumption that 36 spokes (14 gauge straight) weigh about 240 grams for typical fat wheel lengths of about 260 mm and cheap brass nipples weigh about a gram a piece, and an aluminum 135 front hub weighs in the 240ish gram range but this relies on solid steel axles so add another 50 grams. Total 566 grams.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    255
    750 gram tubes!!!

    And I thought that my OEM On-One Fatty tubes were made of lead at 600 grams each!

    It will be an easy and cheap upgrade to go to Q-tubes at about 300 grams each.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    113
    With a tube like that i say you just glue the tube to the rim like a sew up and run it sans tire.

    Could be the new trend. Forget tubeless, I'm biking tireless-ly.

  14. #14
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    .

    Tires = Already have a set of Origin8 Devist8er's on the way, and I'll give an impression of them, also ... But must admit that I can only compare them a standard width MTB tires that I have ridden, so it won't be a proper comparison.
    Here ya go:
    Product Preview – Origin8 Devist8er Fat-Bike Tire | FAT-BIKE.COM

    Origin8 OR8 Devist8er 4.0 tire

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Not really an upgrade...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast modifications-dsc01246.jpg  


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Neither is this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast modifications-dsc01241.jpg  


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    I plan on ordering some Devistater tires as well...
    Also gotta get a smaller chainring...
    Ordered a threaded to threadless adapter..

    I also have access to a tig welder.
    Just might slacken up the front and shorten the rear...

    WTF it's a $200 bike....

  18. #18
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Son, all your paint is gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Not really an upgrade...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Son, all your paint is gone!
    Because stock sucks.......

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    I'm not new to upgrading Walgooses hahahahha ...

    I must add that it now sports some Racing Ralphs
    and a brooks saddle...and bb7s.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast modifications-finished-mongoose-009.jpg  


  21. #21
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    whatcha gonna put on in its place?

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    I read that, and they're obviously better than what comes on the bike.

    A pair should be arriving Tuesday.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    I plan on ordering some Devistater tires as well...
    Also gotta get a smaller chainring...
    Ordered a threaded to threadless adapter..

    I also have access to a tig welder.
    Just might slacken up the front and shorten the rear...

    WTF it's a $200 bike....
    I've had the same thought ... Gotta get it and ride it first.

    ETA,
    I've got access to CAD software and the ability to perform analysis, so it might be possible to get decent response via fork modification ... Just doing an overlay, it appears that the head angle is 74 degrees.
    Angles will be the first thing I measure.
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 03-31-2013 at 05:05 PM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I've had the same thought ... Gotta get it and ride it first.

    ETA,
    I've got access to CAD software and the ability to perform analysis, so it might be possible to get decent response via fork modification ... Just doing an overlay, it appears that the head angle is 74 degrees.
    Angles will be the first thing I measure.
    Please keep us updated...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    whatcha gonna put on in its place?
    Clear coat.....

  26. #26
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643

    Wally Drilliums

    1.5" hole cuts, left two spaces near valve uncut

    Front wheel: 1549g
    Rear wheel: 2490g
    Shed 524g

    The drilling felt much the same as the Daryls - good cutting resistance, similar thickness.




  27. #27
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Clear coat.....
    very nice.

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Please keep us updated...
    Absolutely ... But the bike might not get here until Friday.
    Kind of strange, in the cart Thursday, with an actual delivery date ... Waited till Friday, and it became a 2nd thru 5th estimate.

  29. #29
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    1.5" hole cuts, left two spaces near valve uncut

    Front wheel: 1549g
    Rear wheel: 2490g
    Shed 524g

    The drilling felt much the same as the Daryls - good cutting resistance, similar thickness.



    Sweet ... Are you gonna paint them ?

  30. #30
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Sweet ... Are you gonna paint them ?

    I think i'm going to leave them alone. My goal is to get this bike to 32lbs and spend less then $120 doing so.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    1.5" hole cuts, left two spaces near valve uncut

    Front wheel: 1549g
    Rear wheel: 2490g
    Shed 524g

    The drilling felt much the same as the Daryls - good cutting resistance, similar thickness.



    It looks like you used a handheld drill for that, yea? Nice work, did you just use a half round file to break the edge of all the holes?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    What does 524 grams work out to in lbs??

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    I don't understand why the mixture of measurements on bikes..
    Tire size is in inches,,etc,,,other stuff in metric..
    I'm old and stubborn ..metric makes no sense to me whatsoever..

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Ok I googled. just a little over a LB...

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I think i'm going to leave them alone. My goal is to get this bike to 32lbs and spend less then $120 doing so.
    Based on what's been posted, 32 seems attainable.

  36. #36
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,561
    I don't understand why the mixture of measurements on bikes..
    Tire size is in inches,,etc,,,other stuff in metric..
    I'm old and stubborn ..metric makes no sense to me whatsoever..


    Metric is all based on ten. It's actually pretty easy. I'm 47 and I completely understand what you're sayin', but try it. It's easy.
    I like turtles

  37. #37
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    It looks like you used a handheld drill for that, yea? Nice work, did you just use a half round file to break the edge of all the holes?

    I use a Dremel with a deburring bit but a file would probably work just as well.

  38. #38
    Two Headed Boy
    Reputation: Trower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    What does 524 grams work out to in lbs??
    1.155
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

  39. #39
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    454 grams per pound.

  40. #40
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Can't wait to get the wheels and tires back on the bike and test it out.

    Just crunched the numbers. I'm looking at 10.62lbs of weight savings just doing the drilling, new tubes, and some "newish" used rubber. And thats all rotating mass, where it counts.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Looks like a set of triple trees fixes front end flop..

    The adventures of bighit and his $200 Walmart fatbike | The UNDERGROUND!

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Looks like a set of triple trees fixes front end flop..

    The adventures of bighit and his $200 Walmart fatbike | The UNDERGROUND!
    Didn't bighit say his forks were screwed up ?

    A guy on bighit's (I think) forum said he can ride no-handed with stock everything ... Just say'n.
    The problem might not even exist.

    ETA;
    Not trying to turn this thread into an argument, but wheel flop is highly subjective, and because such a change absolutely affects the geometry of the entire bike, there will be an obvious perceived difference in handling.

    The trail doesn't look to be excessive, and once I take delivery, I'll have more factual information to share about this subject.

    Tires also come into play, and he did change his tires ... Maybe they weren't a good choice for this geometry and aggravated a situation.

    The jury's still out ... But if it worked for him ... Good deal !!!
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 04-02-2013 at 07:57 AM.

  43. #43
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    ^ The fork didn't bother me that much but I do get where he's coming from. Perhaps once I get this bike traveling faster i'll find the problem more bothersome.


    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Looks like a set of triple trees fixes front end flop..

    The adventures of bighit and his $200 Walmart fatbike | The UNDERGROUND!
    Nice. I'm hoping that drilling the rims and swapping the tubes is enough for me to not have to gear down. I think BigHit is still running stock tubes and non-drillium wheels.





    .

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Nevermind on the triple tree,I just noticed that wasn't the stock wheel...

  45. #45
    Nemophilist
    Reputation: TrailMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,873
    Geeeez....

    You guys are all bonkers. I kinda like that... personally.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876
    Interesting setup
    That (underground) thread is formated nicely for mobile use, why can't MTBR follow suit. Their mobile version sucks on an Iphone

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Geeeez....

    You guys are all bonkers. I kinda like that... personally.
    That's why I love that cruiser frame you built

    Everything done to this bike, will be done with the intention of transferring most of it to another frame, someday.

  48. #48
    Nemophilist
    Reputation: TrailMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    That's why I love that cruiser frame you built

    Everything done to this bike, will be done with the intention of transferring most of it to another frame, someday.
    Your own frame, one might surmise? Hope, even?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

  49. #49
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Your own frame, one might surmise? Hope, even?
    Someday ... Been practicing my brazing

    Might even make it a retirement plan.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    Yep my forks bent. That's the reason why I was having a hard time getting the wheel in. One leg looked off and sure enough it is. I got to bend it back now.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  51. #51
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Siddhartha Valmont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    18
    These wheels looks great with HuDu and drilled rims

    Sorry for the already covered questions, but the threads about the Walgoose Beast keep on multiplying and it is difficult to find technical details among arguments (no offense meant):

    Are the wheels built symmetrically ? Or if the front/rear is built with an offset, is it because of the frame/fork or tech constrain (chain-line...) ?

    Is the front and rear hub 135mm ? Or is it a 100mm front / 135mm rear ? Or 135mm front / 170mm rear ?
    Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 04-04-2013 at 01:34 AM.

  53. #53
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
    These wheels looks great with HuDu and drilled rims

    Sorry for the already covered questions, but the threads about the Walgoose Beast keep on multiplying and it is difficult to find technical details among arguments (no offense meant):

    Are the wheels built symmetrically ? Or if the front/rear is built with an offset, is it because of the frame/fork or tech constrain (chain-line...) ?

    Is the front and rear hub 135mm ? Or is it a 100mm front / 135mm rear ? Or 135mm front / 170mm rear ?

    Symmetrical build. 135/170 hub sizes.

    If you get one of these bikes, check your spoke tension. Mine needed to be brought up and another guy on here reported his spoke holes had "volcanoed" - YIKES!

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Siddhartha Valmont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Symmetrical build. 135/170 hub sizes
    That's great news !!!

    It means having a summer wheelset (29er or 26) won't be as much a nightmare as with the original Pugs offset frame.

    This Walgoose might not be a great finished product as-is, but seems to have a lot of potential as a customization project starting point

  55. #55
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Symmetrical build. 135/170 hub sizes.

    If you get one of these bikes, check your spoke tension. Mine needed to be brought up and another guy on here reported his spoke holes had "volcanoed" - YIKES!
    Who reported that ?
    I've only heard that from duggus, and I don't think he owns a Beast.

    That doesn't mean it's not true ... But until I see pictures, or read it from the source, I'm not gonna be repeating the claim.

  56. #56
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    IDK, hard to sift through all the BS.

    Generally speaking the whole bike should be looked over due to lack of QC.

    It's a gamble. There will be winners and there will be losers. And sometimes BIG losers. That's the game. If you don't like the rules, don't play. Overall I think I ended up winning out with my purchase.
    Last edited by AC/BC; 04-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.

  57. #57
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    For $200, I've got nothing to complain about.

    And totally with ya on the QC thing ... I'm going through the whole bike before I even ride it.

  58. #58
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643

    Hope

    Ok, ive pretty much maxed out the rotational weight savings on this bike without doing anything too extreme. I can now happily report that i'm able to cruise at low intensity at 10-12mph flat land. At moderate intensity flat land I can avg around 12-15mph, and at full sprint i can max out the gearing.

    The bad news is this thing is still a beast up hills. I have yet to weight it. Maybe ill do that in a few days. Also note that the speeds I give were all on paved surfaces. I haven't taken the bike off road yet.

    Mods:
    300g Saddle
    250g XLC post
    2.2 "lite" tubes
    Black Duck Tape rim tape
    Hudu's









  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    672
    I don't know what city that is, but I see you stopped at the "dream girls" for a pic ;-)

  60. #60
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    859
    and the bike also marked its territory

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    252
    Minneapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I don't know what city that is, but I see you stopped at the "dream girls" for a pic ;-)

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    255
    i don't know what city that is, but i see you stopped at the "dream girls" for a pic ;-)
    and the bike also marked its territory
    lol

  63. #63
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    and the bike also marked its territory
    Beast

  64. #64
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,033
    AC/BC, please don't ever park that next to my moonlander.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    AC/BC, please don't ever park that next to my moonlander.
    Worried about them mating?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Siddhartha Valmont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Worried about them mating?
    (off-topic)

    He is maybe worried that he will unconsciously take this other fatbike home instead of his Moonlander

    (/off-topic)

  67. #67
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Ok, ive pretty much maxed out the rotational weight savings on this bike without doing anything too extreme. I can now happily report that i'm able to cruise at low intensity at 10-12mph flat land. At moderate intensity flat land I can avg around 12-15mph, and at full sprint i can max out the gearing.

    The bad news is this thing is still a beast up hills. I have yet to weight it. Maybe ill do that in a few days. Also note that the speeds I give were all on paved surfaces. I haven't taken the bike off road yet.

    Mods:
    300g Saddle
    250g XLC post
    2.2 "lite" tubes
    Black Duck Tape rim tape
    Hudu's
    You need to do a gear change ... Right now you're riding a fixie, and it's geared wrong.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kbollox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    145
    AC/BC - I'm sure I'll see you out and about in the 612. I'll be on the red beast.. though probably not over the weekend as someone bent my seatpost last night. Got one on order at OoOBs.

    Auto-setback.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    168
    Oh My!! :0)
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flat Again???'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    137
    Minneapolis looks like a very nice city. I appreciate the pics!

  71. #71
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Back in stock, get em while you can.

  72. #72
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    AC/BC, please don't ever park that next to my moonlander.
    That sounds like a dare.




    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    You need to do a gear change ... Right now you're riding a fixie, and it's geared wrong.
    This Beast actually could use a bigger gear except the start and go would require so much work. And with the current gear, my legs start to red line past 95. My new fear is that im going to burn up the rear hub braking.




    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox View Post
    AC/BC - I'm sure I'll see you out and about in the 612. I'll be on the red beast.. though probably not over the weekend as someone bent my seatpost last night. Got one on order at OoOBs.

    Auto-setback.

    :rock:

  73. #73
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    My new fear is that im going to burn up the rear hub braking.

    :rock:
    Mine grinds something terrible, and the (internal) lock tab looks very weak.

  74. #74
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Mine grinds something terrible, and the (internal) lock tab looks very weak.
    thats ok for another 200 clams you too can have a pr.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

  75. #75
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    I took my bike out in the rain and rode down a few stair cases and off a few 1-2.5ft ledges. The rims are holding up good. I did hit some off road stuff too. But the gearing is really better for cruising. I think if i was going to regularly use this bike off road i'd want to put a smaller cog on it like bighit has done.








    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Mine grinds something terrible, and the (internal) lock tab looks very weak.
    That sucks you got a dud. I bet if you call Walmart and explain that the hub is defective, they'll send you another one. Also, you'll want to grease the BB and headset. Everything is dry on these bikes.

  76. #76
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    thats ok for another 200 clams you too can have a pr.
    When it dies, or gets replaced, the new back hub will ultimately end up on another frame ... Now who makes frames with 170mm spacing on the back
    Ehh, might have to make one ... Someday.

  77. #77
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    That sucks you got a dud. I bet if you call Walmart and explain that the hub is defective, they'll send you another one. Also, you'll want to grease the BB and headset. Everything is dry on these bikes.
    Not that worried about replacing it ... Ride it till it dies ... I sure didn't buy it for the hubs.
    And everything on mine had grease.

  78. #78
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    of course it did sponsorboi
    Sorry that your's wasn't ... But I'm sure you remedied that

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    Truativ 32 T Crankset,23 T Cog...Heat Bueing effect with propane torch,light glitter dust on frame,heavy glitter on forks...Waiting on more stickers to arrive for stickerbomb...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast modifications-dsc01264.jpg  

    Mongoose Beast modifications-dsc01263.jpg  

    Mongoose Beast modifications-dsc01262.jpg  


  80. #80
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Mine grinds something terrible, and the (internal) lock tab looks very weak.
    That sucks you got a dud. I bet if you call Walmart and explain that the hub is defective, they'll send you another one. Also, you'll want to grease the BB and headset. Everything is dry on these bikes.
    Not that worried about replacing it ... Ride it till it dies ... I sure didn't buy it for the hubs.
    And everything on mine had grease.
    Turns out it's an annoying brake drag thing ... Just keep pedaling, and it's quiet.

  81. #81
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    Anybody in the 6' range riding a Beast? I'm willing to buy a new seatpost and even a longer reach stem. This isn't for typical/traditional high-end fatbiking (obviously). Just for riding around having a smile with the boy, as a replacement for the 80's cruiser I gave away last year that filled that role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jvm051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360
    I was, had a 400mm seatpost and a 90mm stem with some riser bars, but since all the bearings in the wheels and headset were dry as a bone, I decided to remove the bottom bracket....they were dry as well, but as some others have reported the bottom bracket was cross threaded. Walmart now owns my beast again. Rip walgoose. How I hardly knew the....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Anybody in the 6' range riding a Beast? I'm willing to buy a new seatpost and even a longer reach stem. This isn't for typical/traditional high-end fatbiking (obviously). Just for riding around having a smile with the boy, as a replacement for the 80's cruiser I gave away last year that filled that role.

  83. #83
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Cross thread ... Mine started to do that when I put it back together, but I noticed it, and didn't keep wrenching.

    Tight-ass thread, though ... Easy to cross-thread the thing if you're not careful.

  84. #84
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    Road down more stair cases today. One had super long treads that were about as long as the wheelbase of the bike. The bike would drop front and rear at the same time. It was awesome. Still no issues with the rims.

  85. #85
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    I was, had a 400mm seatpost and a 90mm stem with some riser bars, but since all the bearings in the wheels and headset were dry as a bone, I decided to remove the bottom bracket....they were dry as well, but as some others have reported the bottom bracket was cross threaded. Walmart now owns my beast again. Rip walgoose. How I hardly knew the....
    Thanks. I ordered a green one. You getting another?
    Last edited by Bulldog; 04-07-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  86. #86
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Road down more stair cases today. One had super long treads that were about as long as the wheelbase of the bike. The bike would drop front and rear at the same time. It was awesome. Still no issues with the rims.
    Impossible ... That thing is a piece, and you're an idiot who has wasted their money

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jvm051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360
    No I just returned it. I am going to wait for a company like Nashbar or performance to come out with one. Its too bad about the Walgoose because it was fun. Funny to see the reactions from people too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Thanks. I ordered a green one. You getting another?

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Truativ 32 T Crankset,23 T Cog...Heat Bueing effect with propane torch,light glitter dust on frame,heavy glitter on forks...Waiting on more stickers to arrive for stickerbomb...
    Nice old school look.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  89. #89
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Anybody in the 6' range riding a Beast? I'm willing to buy a new seatpost and even a longer reach stem. This isn't for typical/traditional high-end fatbiking (obviously). Just for riding around having a smile with the boy, as a replacement for the 80's cruiser I gave away last year that filled that role.
    deorman on this page is 6'2" and comments on how it fits him.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,262
    My inlaws live on the coast and walk the beach all the time. They saw pix of the "Beast" at their local Walmart and a guy told them it was designed to cruise the sandy beach. They called me before ordering them and I told them I'd find out some info.

    Are these bikes very ridable on compact sand in stock form, it will it be too hard for casual riders to pedal? They arent looking to mod them or really do anything other than ride them.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  91. #91
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    even after you fix the gearing, you'll have to convince your dad to run the tires at 8 psi, which could be a challenge all by itself.

  92. #92
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Are these bikes very ridable on compact sand in stock form, it will it be too hard for casual riders to pedal? They arent looking to mod them or really do anything other than ride them.
    Ask bikeabuser... he is the resident expert on them

    They are a fantastic deal for your typical Wal-mart shopper and they should have no need to ever maintain it (because *typical* walmart bike buyers have no knowledge of bike maintenance). They should have no problems hammering it on the beach or any other terrain... after all, it IS an "all terrain" bike according to the straight-shooters over at Wallyworld of wonders!

    OOFTA. I just had to, I'm sorry. It's a slow day, Friday, and I'm bored.

  93. #93
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    ^^^ You remind me of a moth LOL

  94. #94
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    ^^^ you remind me of a moth lol
    DITTO!!!!


  95. #95
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    I guess I should cry, because you once again bumped this thread LOL

    Soon, very soon ... Vee Rubber will be selling their line of tires ... IN WALMART & your LBS.
    Your choices in Fat Tires will increase ... And you can thank the bike this thread is about, for bringing you lower prices.

    Experience the POWER of MASS MARKETING

  96. #96
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    well we had yesterday off from this bullsh!t

    be thankful for that I guess
    Don't worry, next round of Beasts will be delivered very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  97. #97
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    My inlaws live on the coast and walk the beach all the time. They saw pix of the "Beast" at their local Walmart and a guy told them it was designed to cruise the sandy beach. They called me before ordering them and I told them I'd find out some info.

    Are these bikes very ridable on compact sand in stock form, it will it be too hard for casual riders to pedal? They arent looking to mod them or really do anything other than ride them.
    Assembly quality is a bit of a crap shoot, but if you buy in the store you can pick&choose. The fat tires do cruise sand well - once aired down to 8-10 psi. The gearing is ok for hard surface, but needs to be changed for sand, especially to get across the soft/loose to get to the wet stuff. You've got 36x18 stock. You can get as low as a 23t cog - but you'll have to get a new chain to add more than 2 teeth. I run 34x20 on my 29er, a 49" gear. Low enough to climb/do hard stuff if standing, but still plenty high enough to cruise. 36x18 is 58", 36x21 is 50", 36x22 is 47", 36x23 is 45". My Moonlander has a 3spd hub, low is 41". I went up a very soft arroyo last week, and it was hard work - I could stay seated for a bit, but would have to stand for "rough" sections and to regain momentum. If you swap out the stock square taper cranks you could keep the same chain (total number of teeth on both cogs) and go 34x20 or 32x22 (42") depending on what rings came on the cranks.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    pick&choose...8-10 psi...If you swap out the stock square taper cranks you could keep the same chain (total number of teeth on both cogs) and go 34x20 or 32x22 (42") depending on what rings came on the cranks.
    Brilliant information. That's what this thread is about; how to make the beast better.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    I'm running 32/22 on mine and it's ok for off road. On the road with black Floyd's I spun it out very easy.

    I also think there is enough room in the drop outs to swap rear cogs depending on where your going without breaking the chain.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  100. #100
    Nemophilist
    Reputation: TrailMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,873
    Hey;

    I asked the bike guy once and he said "Sure... we can sell it to you still in the box." Taking it home that way would most likely be of benefit to any buyers here reading this, and to the bike as well. This assuming that anyone reading this is a better assembly person than the Walmart dood.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bighits 37lb Mongoose Beast
    By bighit in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-02-2016, 12:20 PM
  2. Mongoose Beast review etc.... Walmart Fatty!
    By 2silent in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 453
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 05:41 AM
  3. Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!
    By Larry Endomorph in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM
  4. Mongoose Beast... cannot wait
    By 2silent in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
  5. Mongoose Beast Fatbike - Specs + Pics!
    By theboss in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •