Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Generally speaking any square taper crank that is considered low profile will work. You can take off rings and just run the center, or set it up with multiple gears. Just don't run the old 80s style cranks where the arm has a high profile out from the rings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks blown,I have been looking to update the cranks , and most bike shops around here are pretty negitive if you ask for help becase you bought a Walmart bike.

Does anyone know why the rear is so dang heavy...my G/F just got a sun bicycle model crusher and its way lighter...seems like it has stainless spokes but that does not seem to be enough to be that noticeable( her bike is a fat tire too, sunlight tires are 3.5 to the goose's 4.0.)

mtbr member
    The tubes, tires and rear hub are really heavy on the beast. I would say the rear hub alone is 2-3 pounds.

mtbr member
    after i cut out my rear hub i had it near my metal pile... and in the leaves i accidentally ran it over with my lawn mower... and the lawn mower won

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

super cheapo triple crank with 28T small and the stock 18T.

Mongoose Beast modifications-imag2743.jpg I just slapped this on to try some gear ratios that I can actually ride in the snow. I will mod it later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

It was fun for a quick night loop around the block. I will go exploring Wednesday

Mongoose Beast modifications-imag2745.jpg
    I can't even stand looking at that cheap seat

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Has anyone thought of going tubless?

Green Chile Enforcer
    Jun 2009
    Here's mine. It's even been raced, if not very successfully...

Salsa Enabler, Large Marge, BB7, On One Floaters. One stock rear hub has been killed. Had a replacement wheel in a few days though!

Mongoose Beast modifications-3sis.jpg

Mongoose Beast modifications-race.jpg

Mongoose Beast modifications-sourdough2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Oh my
    you are a real biker
    I am just an old fat guy discovering how fun this should be. I rode by brothers Lynskey for about a mile and fell in love. This walgoose is not even close and I do not expect it to be. I took it for a short ride with the 28/18 gearing and it is just to tough in the snow for me. It looks like you are stock 36/18...really...in the snow?
    Question; did you change the fork just for an easy brake solution (bracket) or to solve that funny steering? I'm gonna pop a 20T on the back and try again.

Green Chile Enforcer
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBergh View Post
    Oh my
    you are a real biker
    I am just an old fat guy discovering how fun this should be. I rode by brothers Lynskey for about a mile and fell in love. This walgoose is not even close and I do not expect it to be. I took it for a short ride with the 28/18 gearing and it is just to tough in the snow for me. It looks like you are stock 36/18...really...in the snow?
    Question; did you change the fork just for an easy brake solution (bracket) or to solve that funny steering? I'm gonna pop a 20T on the back and try again.
    32x20, same as I run on my 29er SS. It's a bit too much on this pig though. I'm going to try a bigger cog soon.

I put the fork on for the brake and handlebar options. The steering just happens to be way better too! The HT angle is near 70 with this fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    32x20, same as I run on my 29er SS. It's a bit too much on this pig though. I'm going to try a bigger cog soon.

I put the fork on for the brake and handlebar options. The steering just happens to be way better too! The HT angle is near 70 with this fork.
    Thanks for the info. I'm new here (just joined after reading this thread- yes, the whole thing) and I've been wondering about the enabler fork as an upgrade- not only for the brake tab, but also for the geometry, all the cool mounting points and the better QC. It just got a little harder to hang on to that Christmas bonus check.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
    I had to pull the coaster brake lever off the hub and put it in a vice to bend it enough to line up properly.
    Hey Joe,
    How is this setup holding up? I'm considering a similar setup with a roller brake. If you were to do it again, would you do it the same, or would cold-setting the frame to an offset 135mm be a better idea?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow, I just got back from riding my Beast properly greased with 24f/18r gears and I must say it SUCKS. They really screwed up the geometry on this bike and the BB is way too far forward. Needs to be moved at least 2" back. I can't believe no one is complaining about the front tire hitting toes when pedaling and turning. And the steering absolutely sucks. I rode a pugsley that had no wheel flop. I have some Origin8 Devast8tor tires on order so hopefully that will help with the steering, otherwise I'll be chopping up the fork to lengthen it to get a 70 deg HT angle and also increasing the fork rake. I had huge plans for this bike, but now I don't know. I think I'll just do the minimal things to get it rideable and suffer riding it until I get a better bike frame built.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Devastators have major self-steer/induce wheel flop, IME.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's not good to hear. I guess reworking the front fork to get the geometry right will be in order then. Another thing that exacerbates the steering wheel flop on the Beast is the weight distribution. The BB and seat post are much farther forward and closer to the center of the bike than other fat bikes so it puts quite a bit more weight on the front wheel. Not good

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Devastators have major self-steer/induce wheel flop, IME.
    No they don't. They work extremely well on the Beast.

mtbr member
    Yeah, hey, N8R, the bottom bracket is also very low. I'm considering a new fork that's taller to help with the low bb and steep head angle, but haven't figured what one to get yet.

This is my 12x150mm rear disc hub with 14-42t cobbled cassette- it works good with 32t single ring up front, but haven't been in deep snow yet, and stick to the milder trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

new cranks

Well, I learned the hard way and bought a set of FSA cranks on craigslist and took them home to find out the cogs were riveted, so decided to swap the set off my K2 Nissan mountain bike , but the the inner cog to gets romantic with the frame. So $40.00 down the tubes.

The Truviv seem to work, just not many turns on the lock down nut as I would like, but not too bad. Also, the BB was soooo tight, and I cant get it loose, need a special tool, so I am not riding it.

Mongoose Beast modifications-beast-cranks.jpg. here is a pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Yeah, hey, N8R, the bottom bracket is also very low. I'm considering a new fork that's taller to help with the low bb and steep head angle, but haven't figured what one to get yet.
    Hey could you estimate how much taller fork? This could solve all my problems with one shot.
    Don

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    No they don't. They work extremely well on the Beast.
    YMMV. I know several others have posted here that they experienced a high level of self-steer on these tires as well.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    On my buddys mongoose the self steer with devastators is ridiculous, but on my pugsly, i get no self steer,

anyway, they make a good cheap back tire

mtbr member
    The Devist8rs are fine if you get a longer fork. Once I changed the fork on mine the self steer went away.

Here is a shot of my bike next to another beast with a stock fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Has anyone figured out a definite replacement bottom bracket for the Beast?

mtbr member
    Tommi Sea 122 mm Sealed Bottom Bracket
    This $40 sealed bb fits the Beast. I added 8mm of spacers to drive side for chain and crank clearance.[/QUOTE]from pg 27 this thread.

Seems to me the Beast fork is about 17" or 431mm axle to crown.

Fatbikes.com - Surly Moonlander Fork 447mm - I'm guessing would slacken the head angle about 1 degree and raise bb a little.

FatBikes.com Salsa Enabler rigid fork for 29er snow bike wheels 468mm but won't fit 4.7" tires - would slacken head angle maybe 2 degrees and raise bb 1/2"???

9:ZERO:7 (907) Aluminum Fork - 450 or 468mm depending on what frame and hub

The slippery slope steepens with every simoleon spent.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I found a set of brandnew Kevlar Origin8 Devast8tor tires locally for $15 each so I canceled my Amazon order for them. I lucked out and got a set of the good light Kevlar bead ones and they have and actual weight each of 1600-1630 grams, I weighed them. Anyway, the Beast rides much better with them than the stock tires, way more supple. The wheel flop is still there but not as bad or annoying. Another good thing is the tires are 3/4" shorter so the front tire doesn't hit my toes nearly as much. Once I lengthen the fork the wheel flop and toe strike issues will be resolved. All in all, I'm a lot happier with the beast now just from swapping tires and it is ridable in the snow at least, can't feel wheel flop in the snow, just on pavement and grippy surfaces really. Weight is right at 40 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Okay guys, what is the difference in the Beast and Brutus? Amazon had the Brutus for $169 shipped, so I got one on the way.

mtbr member
    Im not sure of any difference ... Looks the same to me, but the Beast at WallyMart is cheaper now. Your $169 is a great price.

Link - Mongoose Brutus

Link - Mongoose Beast

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Not at $169,, it was a flash sale or whatever Amazon does. Still, what is different? Bars and stem??

mtbr member
    Yes - had to amend my reply when I noticed your price.

Bikes look the same to me, other than the obvious color and graphic.

mtbr member
    May have been mentioned before, but Mongoose bikes (mongoose.com) does not mention the Beast or Brutus anywhere. A search for either comes back empty.

Are they ashamed??

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey everyone, Ive been looking around online for info on fork length for the beast and I noticed that a lot of pictures if you look there seems to be different length forks on some of the bikes. Even one or two bikes posted here (but some have different tires on them) Did mongoose make a longer fork on the early bikes? or do the newer bikes have longer forks??? It coule also be shorter tires.
    Don

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2f0bvpj.jpg look at this

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...ons-test-5.jpg even fatalbert333's 2 bikes look like the fork is different bewteen the two.

mtbr member
    I think they are all the same. It's just different camera angles make things look different.

has a bad
    Dec 2006
    I have alot less self steer with the devist8ers than with the stock tires. The stock tires at 15psi on up feel fine. But below that they make the bike want to flop. I am now running devist8ers at 10psi and they feel great.

The devist8ers are shorter than the stock tires so that may be what makes the difference in steering feel. It could also be why some forks look longer than others.

As far as the difference between Beast and Brutus. A coworker bought a Brutus from amazon and it had a 32t chainring while my Beast has a 36t. Other than that it was just paint and stickers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I put up some videos about my mongoose.
    mongoose beast overview - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mongoose Beast modifications-beast-drilled-wheels.jpg

I just drilled the wheels! that was fun ans messy! what is everyone using to keep the tubes from pushing out through the holes?
    Last edited by RC51BOY; 12-23-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Ive got Surly rims trips with a layer of duct tape behind them. My buddy used the stock rim strips with duct tape. Both are working great.

mtbr member
    I saw this on craigslist. Its an electric fat bike for $1600. But check out the front brake. Its got V brakes, with a guide over the tire to keep the cable from touching the tire. I wonder how well this works? It sure would be a cheaper way than a front disc and would probably be better than cantilevers.

Looks like the same tires as a Beast, maybe same rims too:

Mongoose Beast modifications-fat-brakes.jpg

Mongoose Beast modifications-fat-brakes-2.jpg

Name:  zoom.jpeg
Views: 3383
Size:  19.5 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    blown240, i'm wondering how your rear suspension is holding up, and how well the chopperus rear hub set up on your friends bike are working. both are things i'm more or less working toward.

mtbr member
    So far so good on both.

We have ridden everything from Snow, to sand, to hard packed trails. The rear suspension is great. The hub is holding up good, but he hasn't jumped the bike or anything like that.

My only complaint is how heavy the bike is. His only complaint is that he is limited to a 6 speed freewheel. Usually its fine, but he could have used a lower gear when we were in the snow.

Ive actually thought about buying another beast. One just to see how light I can get it. Keep it rigid and single speed with hand brakes. But Ive got too many other projects right now.

I am actually working on a second fork for mine. This one has just over 8" of travel and has better geometry, so there shouldn't be much brake fade. I haven't really posted about it here, but will once its done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    http://www.shopaholix.com/image/prod...rrain-bike.jpg
    Do you think these were drawings or pictures of actual bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think I am loosing my mind, I thought I saw someone post a site that had the Tommi Sea sealed bottom bracket for $40.00 and did not have the ridiculous $40.00 shipping charge.But then again I could be crazy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ddd
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-15-2014 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Tommisea BB is $39.99 w/ about $8 shipping from fatbeachbikes....I think you're going to 'fatsandbikes'....they have crazy high shipping

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Figured I'd post my progress pics since I've had my bike for a few days:

Plain Jane wheels:

Drilled/Painted/Christmas Wrapped:

Mounted back on the Beast:

And my eventual goal...mounting them up on my Tommisea frame...still awaiting some repairs and parts for this one to be ride-worthy:

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPDBING View Post
    Why not get the YST sealed bearings? I think there 8$ plus some shipping.
    It is not the BB cups that are a problem on the Beast, it is the gawd awful spindle that bends easily.

The fatbeachbikes web is one of the worst around, you have enter all your personal and CC details before seeing the shipping charge. Can anyone confirm they only charge $8 for shipping of their sealed BB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I checked my email receipt...it was 10$, but I also bought their crank

mtbr member
    I have been working on a second fork for my Beast. I wanted something that was long travel, and had a better axle path than the last one I build. I learned a few things. The first one is I have officially taken it too far!

I got the fork done enough for a test ride. Once it was all said and done I was getting 9 inches of travel out of it. There are several problems with this:

1. Its too stinkin tall! With a Devist8r tire and 9 inches travel, the handle bars were at 49" from the ground. I could have removed about 3/4 of an inch worth of spacers, but it still would have been too tall.

2. Getting 9 inches of travel using a shock that only has 2 1/2 inches of stroke causes all sorts off odd things. The ratio was so big, that a tiny movement of shock travel resulted in a huge amount of fork travel. The fork actually had so much travel, that it would lock itself closed. I am calling it 9 inches because that is when the crown it the tire! A VERY BAD THING!!

3. The shock I am using is a low compression/low rebound tune with a high volume can. I have no idea what a low compression and low rebound mean, but I found that the shock didn't really ever get stiffer in travel. So once you were past the initial stiction (which is almost nothing) it moves thru the entire travel easily. It seems to me that I need something thats more progressive.

There are some good points too though:

1. Its BUTTERY SMOOTH. Its as smooth as my nice FOX fork on me regular MTB.

2. I can hit a 6" curb, head on, sitting down, and it soaks it up so well that you really dont feel the curb at all.

3. It looks pretty sweet.

4. The axle path is great, and there is almost no brake dive.

As it is right now, this fork is unsafe at any speed. Especially since the crown hits the tire. I am going to cut the travel back to 6". This will allow me to have a lot less leverage on the shock, and it will allow me to make the bike sit 2-3 inches lower at the bars. I will probably just shorten the links to accomplish this, maybe the legs too. It sucks to have to take it back to the drawing board so to speak, but I learned a lot, and the next version will be better.

At least we know now that there is suck a thing as too much travel. I used to think the more the better, but Im thinking differently now.

Head tube angle is 70 degrees in case anyone was curious.

Here are some pics:

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks BlacknBlue20, I ordered it up.

mtbr member
    Let's see one of youse modify the beast into this. A woman just
    rode this fat tadpole to the south pole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast modifications-southpolefattrike-0.jpg