Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 1045
  1. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236

    Re: Mongoose Beast modifications

    My build


    Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

  2. #352
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    that's where I'm going with mine, i think. longer stem and a layback seatpost, and a more reasonable gear ratio. what can you tell me about the seatpost?

  3. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236
    That's just a 410mmThomson layback post, and 120mm Salsa stem. I'm 6'3" and the bike does not fit me properly, but for the fun I plan tho have on it, it will work just fine. Headed out now for its first trail ride.

  4. #354
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Ah, cool, I am also 6'3". Thanks.

  5. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236
    Just got back from my first fat bike ride. FUN! I rode some pretty serious AZ chunk, and walked a good bit of steep climbs, but the bike was a blast. I would say it was money well spent. This bike is not even close to being a great performing fat bike, but man did it put a smile on my face. The coaster brake, and lack of a front brake really made for an exciting ride. If I want to go faster and walk less I have another bike for that, but that bike might be on garage duty for a while.

    I'll be drilling the rims and swapping out the heavy stock tubes next.

  6. #356
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by textbookonewk View Post
    My build


    Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by textbookonewk View Post
    Just got back from my first fat bike ride. FUN! I rode some pretty serious AZ chunk, and walked a good bit of steep climbs, but the bike was a blast. I would say it was money well spent. This bike is not even close to being a great performing fat bike, but man did it put a smile on my face. The coaster brake, and lack of a front brake really made for an exciting ride. If I want to go faster and walk less I have another bike for that, but that bike might be on garage duty for a while.

    I'll be drilling the rims and swapping out the heavy stock tubes next.
    I thought I recognized that truck.

    I like the white pedals ... They look good !!!

  7. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iLikesbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    I just got mine a week ago.
    I had the hubs and BB properly lubed at the LBS and went to work on it.
    Here's my goose:



    painted wheels black
    2 surly nate 27tpi tires
    20 tooth rear cog
    origin8 threaded to threadless quill
    truvativ 90mm stem
    truvativ handlebars
    origin8 seat

    This thing is a blast to romp around the local trails.
    Let it all hang out.

  8. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    103
    Nice, I like the black rims. I havent done much lately, but I did have a sweet temp mod yesterday. Caught me a couple bass
    Mongoose product development

  9. #359
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    cheetah print sets and fishin' poles. good stuff.

  10. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Has anyone set up their Beast as a dingle speed? I'm curious about what kind of tensioner was used that worked well with the coaster brake.

  11. #361
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by rss26Roger View Post
    Has anyone set up their Beast as a dingle speed? I'm curious about what kind of tensioner was used that worked well with the coaster brake.
    Hmm. I thought that part of setting up a dinglespeed was to have the same tooth count (or close) on both, so you didn't have to mess with tensioners?

    Bigger problem would be getting 2 sprockets on the back - which would require a hub swap, methinks.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  12. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    179
    Being that this is a hub braked bike I would think your only hope of running a tensioner would be one of the ones that are fixed like this one



    Having any sort of spring loaded thing in there is gonna mean your brakes don't work. I'd even be worried about a fixed one slipping.

    And as wadester said dingle is all about using a combination of front and rear chain rings that have the same total tooth count isn't it?

  13. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,768
    Even those can slip. I've tried it - once was enough.

    Basically if you need a tensioner then you shouldn't use a coaster or a fixed wheel. Magic ratio and halflinks are the only prospect with a normal coaster or fixed hub.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

  14. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Makes sense, thanks. How about an internally geared hub with coaster brake? Do any of you know of a good one that would be Beast compatible?

  15. #365
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Even those can slip. I've tried it - once was enough.

    Basically if you need a tensioner then you shouldn't use a coaster or a fixed wheel. Magic ratio and halflinks are the only prospect with a normal coaster or fixed hub.
    Or they can pry open your dropout.

    I have never tried it myself, but there is the ghost ring method also. Can't speak to its reliability
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

  16. #366
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by rss26Roger View Post
    Makes sense, thanks. How about an internally geared hub with coaster brake? Do any of you know of a good one that would be Beast compatible?
    The only IGH that will fit:
    Wide Hub - 3 Speed/Disc SLVR - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

    170mm wide sturmey archer 3 speed - but with a disc brake rather than coaster, so you also need a caliper mount adapter.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  17. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10
    Assembled, adjusted all bearings and greased up the new Goose Lander plus swapped out to a 22 tooth rear cog and a longer seat post. So far so good, been out on a handful of off road 10 - 25 mile loops. I've been going easy by not really stomping on the pedals for fear of busting the rear hub drive. I'm 6'1' and personally I like the geometry of the Beast.

    I have a Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal gear hub with coaster brake on order which I'm going to lace up next. It will need a spacer since it's only around 132mm and the rear dropouts are about 162mm. Thumpy69 has been helpful with some insight on this.

    Up to now for $240, I'm floatin & gloatin! This cheap chinese junker is not good for those with no mechanical skills. I look at it as a frame and set of rims for $200. I'm gonna slowly tweak and experiment until I get the Beast Lander in shape for some heavier abuse.

  18. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
    I have a Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal gear hub with coaster brake on order which I'm going to lace up next. It will need a spacer since it's only around 132mm and the rear dropouts are about 162mm.
    The goose frame is just plain hi-carbon steel, easy and safe to permanently coldset the rear triangle down to fit a narrower hub so no flimpy axel spacer is needed. You could do the coldsetting slighlty asymetrically to get the chainline strait, get good chain/tire clearance and get the spoke dishing more even.

  19. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236

    Re: Mongoose Beast modifications

    Built another for a buddy


    Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

  20. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    The only IGH that will fit:
    Wide Hub - 3 Speed/Disc SLVR - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

    170mm wide sturmey archer 3 speed - but with a disc brake rather than coaster, so you also need a caliper mount adapter.
    this may also work on this set up if you decide to go that route. 2 Bicycle F R Disc Brake Brackets Buy 2 Pieces for $31 99 | eBay but there is another thread where a guy made a bracket for his beast to mount a caliper

  21. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dudeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    172

  22. #372
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,445
    Mongoose Beast modifications-2013-06-09-20-52-08.jpg

  23. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dudeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    172

  24. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iLikesbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    What crank did you use to replace the stock one?
    Let it all hang out.

  25. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236

    Re: Mongoose Beast modifications

    Any old square taper crank should work. I used an old XT M750 on mine.

    Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mongoose Beast review etc.... Walmart Fatty!
    By 2silent in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 453
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 05:41 AM
  2. Bighits 37lb Mongoose Beast
    By bighit in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 03:43 AM
  3. Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!
    By Larry Endomorph in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM
  4. Mongoose Beast... cannot wait
    By 2silent in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 07:59 AM
  5. Mongoose Beast Fatbike - Specs + Pics!
    By theboss in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •