Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 843
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10

    The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

    I know this is already posted but didn't earlier. Sorry for the duplicate thread.

    Another entry into the sub-$1000 fatbike market is the "Minnesota":

    $799 Aluminum Fat Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

    Bikes - Framed Bikes

    It's 23F here in (the state of) Minnesota. The snow from earlier this week has melted but I'm commuting on the Pug this morning. Huzzah!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,031
    I think this thread was 7 down from yours.

    Another low priced fat bike option?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10
    Eff me.

    Tips on deleting a thread?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by MplsFunk View Post
    Eff me.

    Tips on deleting a thread?
    Sorry no....but I can give you tips on creating threads that wouldn't need to be deleted.

    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Bet ya a buck someone else posts it at least one more time
    I take paypal.

  5. #5
    Chronic Underachiever
    Reputation: MauricioB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I think this thread was 7 down from yours.

    Another low priced fat bike option?
    Sure would have been nice had the original thread been titled something useful, like "The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes." Would really reduce the likelihood of dupe threads popping up. Just sayin'.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timpanogos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    339
    Keep this thread! The title is way better. Let the other one die. Here's stuff from the other thread:

    Slow Danger: "The website shows a 1.0 and a 2.0 version. Anybody find any differences other than colored rims?"

    nikj: "9 and 18 speed"

    Timpanogos: "The tires are also different. One has 72 tpi wire and the other has 120 tpi folding."

    Pancake: "Ehhhhhhhhhhhh:

    "Limited Warranty

    (a) This warranty extends only to the original retail purchaser of the bicycle.

    (b) This warranty covers for one year defects in material and workmanship only in the alloy steel or Cro-Moly frames and forks of the bicycle.

    (c) This warranty does not cover paint, decals, tires, tubes, chains, rims, cables, pads, handlebars, grips, pedals, and other wear items."

    puchcobra: "I just received a response via Ebay and she said it will be be available in early February.

    Morning,


    Thanks so much for the email! I just spoke with the bossman and it appears that the Fat Bikes should be available on eBay early February so keep in touch with us towards the end of January and we'll go from there. Take care!


    Leslie?"

    Now you are up to date.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: puchcobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    108
    I just recieved another email:
    Thanks for the email! The bikes will be in stock end of January to early February. The-House.com will be running an extra wheel set promo and should start taking pre-orders today or tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    -Davin

  8. #8
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,501
    The rims look strange on that bike - either made of a thick material or double walled with the space filled in?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    202
    Yeah, I wish I could get a closer look at the rim. On the spec list, it says they are single walled, 80mm rims from Weinmann, but the holes look just as deep as on the double walled, 80mm Weinmann rear rim on the Motobecane fatty.

  10. #10
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Did anyone see sizes available?

  11. #11
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    931
    minnesota the state is awesome. minnesota the bike is meh.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    136
    No worries. The whole point was to discuss the bikes. Let me thread run it's course or I can delete it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    In the other thread, somebody had the impression that the bike comes with 29 inch wheels as well as fat. Can anyone confirm whether both wheel sets come with the bike? I might have missed on the website, but didn't see anything.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    65
    I emailed them about sizes because I am looking for a XS for my wife she is 5' 1" and not sure wants a fat bike but for this price it seems like a good deal. Anyways on the sizes they are not making a XS on their first run of bikes. Thinking it might be a risky move and maybe not sell.

    Rich

  15. #15
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    In the other thread, somebody had the impression that the bike comes with 29 inch wheels as well as fat. Can anyone confirm whether both wheel sets come with the bike? I might have missed on the website, but didn't see anything.
    The second wheel set will be part of a pre-order promotional. I read that somewhere on one of the websites that were linked to. It also said check back in a few days for the opportunity to order.

  16. #16
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by richie64 View Post
    I emailed them about sizes because I am looking for a XS for my wife she is 5' 1" and not sure wants a fat bike but for this price it seems like a good deal. Anyways on the sizes they are not making a XS on their first run of bikes. Thinking it might be a risky move and maybe not sell.

    Rich
    Did they tell you what sizes they are producing?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc View Post
    Did they tell you what sizes they are producing?
    No they did not, but then I didn't ask them. I am only looking for an XS for my wife. They did respond quickly to my e-mail so you may want to send them one too.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Greenfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by MplsFunk View Post
    I know this is already posted but didn't earlier. Sorry for the duplicate thread.

    Another entry into the sub-$1000 fatbike market is the "Minnesota":

    $799 Aluminum Fat Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

    Bikes - Framed Bikes

    It's 23F here in (the state of) Minnesota. The snow from earlier this week has melted but I'm commuting on the Pug this morning. Huzzah!
    I did not see the other thread thanks for making this on.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timpanogos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    yeah it would be so hard to ask the other poster to fix his title

    much better to disrespect him here
    Sorry. I didn't mean to be a jerk. I should have phrased it better.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buckfiddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    893
    Best thing about this bike is this: It's the cheapest way to get into fatbikes and it uses all reasonably standard fatbike parts. So, drop $800 for a bike and upgrade all the parts and you're still cheaper than a new pugsley.

    Figure with $1k to play with for upgrades, you could have a really nice bike out of this deal.

  21. #21
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Here is an update concerning sizes offered. I received an email from them.

    Thanks for the email!
    -We'll be offering a 17, 19, and 21 in our first order...we hope to have 15's on the way shortly after.
    -Yep, The House bike shop will be stocking and selling them.
    -Good eyes...we were in a rush to get the new site up and missed that important spec. Crank set will be 28/38T (better right?)
    - Yes, we're working on the geo for the website...hope to have that up this week.
    Cheers!
    Davin

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: puchcobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    108
    The Minnesota is advertised now 799.95
    On Sale Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike Black/White 17in 2014

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33
    Comes with a "free" set of wheels… this just keeps getting interestinger.

    But what does "framed fat bike" mean?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    479
    this minnesota company owns bd at their own game.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Anybody see anything about rim width on the free trail wheel set? The description says they come complete with cassette and rotors. Smell ya later Bikes Direct.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: puchcobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    108
    Hey! They just raised the price to 899.95
    On Sale Fat Bikes

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33
    There's actually a review out now with video

    First Look: $899 'Minnesota' Fat Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maddslacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by puchcobra View Post
    Hey! They just raised the price to 899.95
    On Sale Fat Bikes
    The 1.0 is $799, the 2.0 is $899.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33
    this has nothing to do with the bike but....it's nice and frosty outside for us fat riders. rubber side down!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    54
    sizes say 16, 18 and 20. Has this changed or is that correct now?

    Looking at the geometry chart it looks like the 19" Minnesota 1.0 is larger than the 20" Minnesota 2.0.

    Is the 1.0 a completely different frame from the 2.0?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    203
    I doubt it, they started out with 17", 19" & 21" frame sizes, then they updated the website and the numbers changed a bit. Give it a week and the two models will match.

    I put down a deposit on a 2.0, now we wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfmansbro View Post
    sizes say 16, 18 and 20. Has this changed or is that correct now?

    Looking at the geometry chart it looks like the 19" Minnesota 1.0 is larger than the 20" Minnesota 2.0.

    Is the 1.0 a completely different frame from the 2.0?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    596
    No, it even says in both versions description that the 1.0 is longer than the 2.0. Also bob is taller on 2.0

  33. #33
    MPE
    MPE is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    81
    Has anyone else seen or ridden one yet? I am a newbie, so I do not know the reputation of the seller / distributer. Do any of you have some insight? I am tempted to order one of the 2.0.

    Thank you and take care,

    Mike

  34. #34
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    Has anyone else seen or ridden one yet? I am a newbie, so I do not know the reputation of the seller / distributer. Do any of you have some insight? I am tempted to order one of the 2.0.

    Thank you and take care,

    Mike
    This may be as close as you get to someone who has ridden one. Seriously for the deal you get for pre-order (an extra 29er wheelset)... this is a damn good deal for the components. Most everything you would need to know is in this article: First Look: $899 'Minnesota' Fat Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,366
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    Has anyone else seen or ridden one yet? I am a newbie, so I do not know the reputation of the seller / distributer. Do any of you have some insight? I am tempted to order one of the 2.0.

    Thank you and take care,

    Mike
    You want to know if anyone has ridden a bike that isn't available until next year?
    You might want to try the Time Travel forum....

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TRAIL CRANKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    You want to know if anyone has ridden a bike that isn't available until next year?
    You might want to try the Time Travel forum....
    OR better yet! Put you in a time machine send you to 2014 ride the bike 1000 miles , return back from the future and write a review , so we can make a informed choice. :0 Just jokin.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    This looks to me like the clear winner in cheap fat category, at least as long as you get the free 29er wheelset. The only question is whether the 1.0 or the 2.0 is better suited to a rider. I'd be getting rid of the Vee Missions anyways, so that's a wash. The extra gears on the 2.0 are nice, but would depend on riding conditions. Not sure that's worth the extra $100.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    The only question is whether the 1.0 or the 2.0 is better suited to a rider. I'd be getting rid of the Vee Missions anyways, so that's a wash. The extra gears on the 2.0 are nice, but would depend on riding conditions. Not sure that's worth the extra $100.
    Take note that the 1.0 and 2.0 are two DIFFERENT frames. Both have different sizing and geometry. So I would also consider the frame size while choosing between the two.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfmansbro View Post
    Take note that the 1.0 and 2.0 are two DIFFERENT frames. Both have different sizing and geometry. So I would also consider the frame size while choosing between the two.
    Ah, missed that. The only difference between frames that makes me stop and think is the bb drop. If I'm reading right, the 1.0 has a 4.9 cm bb drop and the 2.0 has a 3.5 cm drop. I have no idea what that would mean in real-world terms. Otherwise, I don't see any drastic differences. Can anyone smarter about geo than me offer opinions on the geo differences between, say, the 17 inch 1.0 and the 18 inch 2.0 that would make a huge difference to the ride? I see the half degree head and seat tube angle differences, but I doubt I would notice that.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    40
    Stopped in the showroom to see the new bikes and boy do they look and ride great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes-20131219_130815.jpg  


  41. #41
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    The website for The House says back order ship on 1/30/2014. Are they available to purchase at the store? Or are these simply demos in the picture?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    310

    The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    Stopped in the showroom to see the new bikes and boy do they look and ride great
    Where's the showroom?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    40
    The showroom is located in St Paul MN
    The bikes are there to to see and ride on site
    Availability is still predicated to be the 30th of Jan 2014

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    310

    The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    The showroom is located in St Paul MN
    The bikes are there to to see and ride on site
    Availability is still predicated to be the 30th of Jan 2014
    Sorry. I'm in STP. Just wondering where in town.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    40
    The house bike shop
    At 200 South Owasso boulevard east St. Paul,mn

  46. #46
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,759

    Re: The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

    So it's 2 completely different frames. Interesting. It looks like the 1.0 is more traditional XC geometry with a slightly longer wheelbase and much longer top tube compared to the 2.0.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33
    Okay,

    I just got back from a test ride at the House on the 2.0. I've been a bit skeptic up to this point but the bike rides really well. The shorter geo made the bike more playful than any other fat bike I've ridden. I agree with the gearjunkie review that it's probably not an ideal endurance bike but that's not what I'm looking for. I was also surprised that even the 20" fully built weighed in under 35lbs.

    Tires - I've been discussing 'Fat Tires' for a while with friends and exchanging emails with info@framedbikes.com. This newer 120tpi Mission tire has been getting some good reviews. The only negative I could find is that I may want a slightly knobbier tire in winter for deep snow at times. That said, is was ridding around in mush on the streets and a couple inches of fresh snow (in yards) and they seemed to hold really well. The higher the TPI the softer/more supple the rubber stays in cold weather. I plan to ride this bike 365 with the 4" tires and I'm most excited about spring/summer/fall riding...and that's where I feel that the Nate's will be too knobby. So ideally I would have two sets of tires but that gets expensive. I looked at the 29er semi slick wheel set too and it looked pretty good. I did not get a chance to ride them though due to time and conditions. But it comes with rotors and cassette which I didn't realize...that will make the switch pretty slick.

    Size - I'm 5'11" and the 18" was my size.

    I ended up buying the 18" Silver with anodized rim/hubs. Now I just have to wait!

  48. #48
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,501
    My problem with the Missions was the self-steer tendencies, it was really bad - around here we have a lot of rock slabs, so the tire felt perfectly fine on dirt, then I'd go up on a slab and the handlebars would twist. Its not impossible to control, but the On One floaters (while probably a lot more resistant to rolling) are much better in this regard.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    310

    The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

    Quote Originally Posted by mncyclist View Post
    Okay,

    I just got back from a test ride at the House on the 2.0. I've been a bit skeptic up to this point but the bike rides really well. The shorter geo made the bike more playful than any other fat bike I've ridden. I agree with the gearjunkie review that it's probably not an ideal endurance bike but that's not what I'm looking for. I was also surprised that even the 20" fully built weighed in under 35lbs.

    Tires - I've been discussing 'Fat Tires' for a while with friends and exchanging emails with info@framedbikes.com. This newer 120tpi Mission tire has been getting some good reviews. The only negative I could find is that I may want a slightly knobbier tire in winter for deep snow at times. That said, is was ridding around in mush on the streets and a couple inches of fresh snow (in yards) and they seemed to hold really well. The higher the TPI the softer/more supple the rubber stays in cold weather. I plan to ride this bike 365 with the 4" tires and I'm most excited about spring/summer/fall riding...and that's where I feel that the Nate's will be too knobby. So ideally I would have two sets of tires but that gets expensive. I looked at the 29er semi slick wheel set too and it looked pretty good. I did not get a chance to ride them though due to time and conditions. But it comes with rotors and cassette which I didn't realize...that will make the switch pretty slick.

    Size - I'm 5'11" and the 18" was my size.

    I ended up buying the 18" Silver with anodized rim/hubs. Now I just have to wait!
    Congrats! I may head up there this afternoon, just to see these things in-person.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat_tires_are_fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    508
    These sound like a really good deal. Like many things, often the first to market wins. In the case of the affordable fat bike, that was BD, but as the fat bike becomes more popular, many more should enter the game at all price levels. This type of competition will surely help improve quality at all price points.
    I like that this comes in a larger frame size, as I ride XL frames.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FAQ for Wisconsin & Minnesota
    By JmZ in forum Minnesota, Wisconsin
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM
  2. December in Minnesota?
    By Mapkos13 in forum Minnesota, Wisconsin
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM
  3. Minnesota River Bottoms
    By AC/BC in forum Photography for mountain bikers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 10:35 PM
  4. Cuyuna Trail - Minnesota
    By AC/BC in forum Passion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 12:16 PM
  5. Minnesota FatBikeFest 2011
    By Foofwa in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •