Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Okay,

I just got back from a test ride at the House on the 2.0. I've been a bit skeptic up to this point but the bike rides really well. The shorter geo made the bike more playful than any other fat bike I've ridden. I agree with the gearjunkie review that it's probably not an ideal endurance bike but that's not what I'm looking for. I was also surprised that even the 20" fully built weighed in under 35lbs.

Tires - I've been discussing 'Fat Tires' for a while with friends and exchanging emails with info@framedbikes.com. This newer 120tpi Mission tire has been getting some good reviews. The only negative I could find is that I may want a slightly knobbier tire in winter for deep snow at times. That said, is was ridding around in mush on the streets and a couple inches of fresh snow (in yards) and they seemed to hold really well. The higher the TPI the softer/more supple the rubber stays in cold weather. I plan to ride this bike 365 with the 4" tires and I'm most excited about spring/summer/fall riding...and that's where I feel that the Nate's will be too knobby. So ideally I would have two sets of tires but that gets expensive. I looked at the 29er semi slick wheel set too and it looked pretty good. I did not get a chance to ride them though due to time and conditions. But it comes with rotors and cassette which I didn't realize...that will make the switch pretty slick.

Size - I'm 5'11" and the 18" was my size.

I ended up buying the 18" Silver with anodized rim/hubs. Now I just have to wait!

Loser
    My problem with the Missions was the self-steer tendencies, it was really bad - around here we have a lot of rock slabs, so the tire felt perfectly fine on dirt, then I'd go up on a slab and the handlebars would twist. Its not impossible to control, but the On One floaters (while probably a lot more resistant to rolling) are much better in this regard.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member

The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

Quote Originally Posted by mncyclist View Post
    Okay,

I just got back from a test ride at the House on the 2.0. I've been a bit skeptic up to this point but the bike rides really well. The shorter geo made the bike more playful than any other fat bike I've ridden. I agree with the gearjunkie review that it's probably not an ideal endurance bike but that's not what I'm looking for. I was also surprised that even the 20" fully built weighed in under 35lbs.

Tires - I've been discussing 'Fat Tires' for a while with friends and exchanging emails with info@framedbikes.com. This newer 120tpi Mission tire has been getting some good reviews. The only negative I could find is that I may want a slightly knobbier tire in winter for deep snow at times. That said, is was ridding around in mush on the streets and a couple inches of fresh snow (in yards) and they seemed to hold really well. The higher the TPI the softer/more supple the rubber stays in cold weather. I plan to ride this bike 365 with the 4" tires and I'm most excited about spring/summer/fall riding...and that's where I feel that the Nate's will be too knobby. So ideally I would have two sets of tires but that gets expensive. I looked at the 29er semi slick wheel set too and it looked pretty good. I did not get a chance to ride them though due to time and conditions. But it comes with rotors and cassette which I didn't realize...that will make the switch pretty slick.

Size - I'm 5'11" and the 18" was my size.

I ended up buying the 18" Silver with anodized rim/hubs. Now I just have to wait!
    Congrats! I may head up there this afternoon, just to see these things in-person.

mtbr member
    These sound like a really good deal. Like many things, often the first to market wins. In the case of the affordable fat bike, that was BD, but as the fat bike becomes more popular, many more should enter the game at all price levels. This type of competition will surely help improve quality at all price points.
    I like that this comes in a larger frame size, as I ride XL frames.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If anyone gets a chance to see these at the show room, can you measure some tire clearances?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Won top gear of the year award from an outside testing site

Best Of The Best... 'Top Gear' Of The Year | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

mtbr member
    Anybody else order one of these yet? I had been going back and forth between the Minnesota 2.0 and the Motobecane Boris X9 for the past month.

I really wanted the Boris X9 but the uncertainty of the Feb 25th ship date and the possibility that it wouldn't ship until March 25th made me hesitate on ordering Boris X9. So I started looking at other options and time and time again I kept coming back to the Minnesota 2.0 in White and Orange.

I kept talking myself out of the Minnesota 2.0 by telling myself that it would probably only ship in early Feb and that it was only a couple of weeks more for the Boris X9 if it did ship on Feb 25th.

Tonight I was looking on the Framed Facebook page and they are saying that the 2.0 bikes are scheduled to arrive ahead of schedule (Jan 23rd or 24th) and that was the final push I needed to place my order.

So tonight I went ahead and ordered White and Orange 2.0 in 18" and I picked the Slick 29er wheelset as the extra freebie wheelset.

Now I play the waiting game but I'm looking forward to the new bike.

A big thanks to nikj for taking those pictures at the showroom and to mncyclist for the mini-review/ride report.
    Current bikes:

2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy Fatbike
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Felt F65X Cyclocross

Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    So tonight I went ahead and ordered White and Orange 2.0 in 18" and I picked the Slick 29er wheelset as the extra freebie wheelset.
    Good call. Seriously can't beat that extra wheelset deal, and I think the bikes look great as well as the specs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was torn the same and decided to order one of each. A Boris X9 Large for my Son and a Med 2.0 in that same Orange as you. These orders were made back before Thanksgiving so its good to hear that the Minnesota 2.0 will be in early.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I also have one on order...a silver/red 2.0. I actually canceled a Boris order and switched. The extra set of wheels was the kicker for me. I am happy to hear that they may be early.

Galen

mtbr member
    Couple of pics that the Framed Bike people posted on their Facebook page. This is a 16" frame and the woman in the pic is over 6 feet tall.

The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes-1530452_431056713689135_1967939652_n.jpgThe Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes-1526399_431955066932633_1219727702_n.jpg
    Current bikes:

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am tempted by the 2.0. My wife and I could both get bikes for only a few hundred dollars more than a single Pugsley… I would probably sell the free second set of wheels since I couldn't see a reason to ride the bike with the narrow tires.. We both have great mountain bikes, road bikes and I also have a cyclocross bike. I wonder what a guy could get for the freebie wheels/tires/rotor and cassette combos??

mtbr member
    I borrowed one of my friends Norco Bigfoot yesterday and made the mistake of letting my GF try it out. I believe that it was a $900 mistake since she now wants a Fat Bike. So it looks like I may have to place another an order for a second 2.0.

My other option would be to order the Boris X9 I really I could ride the 2.0 until the Boris X9 ships. I could than give the 2.0 to the GF.

Here's the GF trying out the Bigfoot yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes-monique-fat-biking.jpg  

Current bikes:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    I am tempted by the 2.0. My wife and I could both get bikes for only a few hundred dollars more than a single Pugsley… I would probably sell the free second set of wheels since I couldn't see a reason to ride the bike with the narrow tires.. We both have great mountain bikes, road bikes and I also have a cyclocross bike. I wonder what a guy could get for the freebie wheels/tires/rotor and cassette combos??
    They say that the wheel combo retails for $400 but I'm thinking a person could probably get $200 to $250 for them.
    Current bikes:

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ordered a 2.0 in white and orange with a 20" frame. The GearJunkie review and award made me finally pull the trigger. I ordered the 29" "trail wheel". I am starting to wonder if I should have ordered the slicks for a little road work / goofing around.

I am glad they might be early! I can't wait!

Take care,

Mike

mtbr member
    I debated between the Trail and Slick Wheelset but I've got lots of knobby 29er tires and I've got no slick 29er tires. If I do use the extra wheelset, I figured the slick wheelset would turn the bike into a nice fully rigid 29er commuter. But I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be a Fat Bike 12 months out of the year.
    Current bikes:

mtbr member
    Looks like the White/Orange Color is pretty popular. According to the Framed Bike Facebook page, the 20" White/Orange is now sold out.

Framed Bikes

Heads up to anyone looking at the Minnesota Fatties! We just got word from The House Boardshop that they already sold ALL of the Minnesota 2.0 20" White/Orange.
    Current bikes:

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

I don't see rear spacing listed in the specs. What is the rear spacing for each? A 170 or 190 rear end? Any offset numbers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    I don't see rear spacing listed in the specs. What is the rear spacing for each? a 170 or 190 rear end?
    Rear Hub - Quando 170mm Alloy Quick Release
    Current bikes:

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes

Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    Rear Hub - Quando 170mm Alloy Quick Release
    Ha. I'm an idiot. Thanks for spotting that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I went in and rode the bikes last night at the shop. I ended up ordering a 20 inch for me, a 16 for my wife. The top tubes are short, but it wasn't too bad. I am 6'01" and the 20 inch will be fine, although I am going to put a 1 inch ride 5-7 degree sweep bar on it to make it fit me better. Quality looked ver good. I think these are the bikes that they used for the web page. The salesman said that the production versions rims would be welded, not pinned like the demos were, and some painted parts would be anodized.

I can confirm 20 inch white/orange is out of stock , as that is what I wanted to order. So I got silver/red (wayyyyy better in person than on the web) and got my wife a 16 inch white/orange.

I was told to expect to pick them up Feb 3-7th.

I am going to sell both set of the extra wheels with the 29 inch slick tires. If anyone is interested in them , let me know. They are complete, 170 rear hub, 135 front, rotors, 11-34 9 speed cassette, tubes and tires. PM me about pricing if you are interested.

mtbr member
    For those who have purchased the 2.0, do you plan on changing the gearing or just leaving the 38/28T in the front?
    Current bikes:

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I rode one yesterday at the House and am mildly concerned that it may be a bit small for me. I am around 6'3 or 6'4 and the 20" seemed somewhat small....but maybe not small enough for me to avoid the amazing deal on this bike. Do you guys think a new stem and riser bar would be enough of a fix?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedishmafia View Post
    I rode one yesterday at the House and am mildly concerned that it may be a bit small for me. I am around 6'3 or 6'4 and the 20" seemed somewhat small....but maybe not small enough for me to avoid the amazing deal on this bike. Do you guys think a new stem and riser bar would be enough of a fix?
    According to the people at The House, the lady in his picture is 6 feet tall and she's on the 16" frame. She had the seat post pretty much all the way up and she doesn't look overly cramped on that frame.

Were you able to get the seat height in a comfortable position during your test ride?

On the The-House Website in the question and answers, someone asked:

Dan F. asked: I'm 6' 4" is the 20" frame going to be too small for me? Dec 15, 2013
    Answer this · Send to friends Good question? Yes (2) No (0)

Mark SStaff: The Framed MN 2.0 20" Should be a solid fit for you Dec 22, 2013
    Reply to Mark S

The Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 Fatbikes-1530452_431056713689135_1967939652_n.jpg
    Current bikes:

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am glad I ordered my 20" White and Orange 2.0 right after New Year's and have a confirmation email!

I hope the sizing is good. I am just barely 6'3". Looking at the photo above and the comments on The House site, it should be ok.

Can't wait.

Take care,

Mike

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast