Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?

I have some new wheels coming in next week from my Mukluk that would benefit greatly from these tires. The wheels will have 27.5 x 50mm carbon rims. I have been searching for these tires with no luck.
    Any other suggestions for other tire options are also appreciated. I need something with good sidewall protection because I ride in rocks a lot.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I have some new wheels coming in next week from my Mukluk that would benefit greatly from these tires. The wheels will have 27.5 x 50mm carbon rims. I have been searching for these tires with no luck.
    Any other suggestions for other tire options are also appreciated. I need something with good sidewall protection because I ride in rocks a lot.
    The Bontrager Hodag's have a durable casing. I've been running them on my 5 x 5" travel B Fat FS bike for 6+ months. Love 'em.

mtbr member
    That's good to hear. Thanks. Have you had a chance to ride them in snow yet? They look solid for dirt and rocks.

That's good to hear. Thanks. Have you had a chance to ride them in snow yet? They look solid for dirt and rocks.
    Packed snow, yes, and they did great. But nothing loose or deep yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the reply. I might have to settle for Hodags until the Minions come out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The Bontrager Hodag's have a durable casing. I've been running them on my 5 x 5" travel B Fat FS bike for 6+ months. Love 'em.
    Buddy of mine slashed his rear (Farley hardtail) in the rocks, wouldn't seal and he had to throw a tube in it.
    2015 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er HT
    2015 Mongoose Vinson fat bike

Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Buddy of mine slashed his rear (Farley hardtail) in the rocks, wouldn't seal and he had to throw a tube in it.

Yes, this happens to all tires, all the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ....... Mukluk .........wheels will have 27.5 x 50mm carbon rims. ........
    Robbie, that Rolling Darryl you sold me fits a 26x4.8 Minion FBF in the rear of my 2013 with the alternators 1/2 way back. Nice and tight against the seat tube.

Doesn't get your new wheeset rolling but will fit your current set in the mean time if you want to try the tread and increased volume.

Moderator Moderator
    The Hodags are pretty close to DH tires, or at least as close as you'll get right now. And they're not stupid heavy. If you run them on ~50mm rims the sidewalls are nicely protected by the knobs and I like the profile.

Can you kill them? Yes. You can kill anything. But they are a very, very capable tire if you're waiting on the Minion.

And for once, and probably the only time ever, I have more experience with a tire on snow than Mike! I rode 27.5 Hodags (on a 5" travel FS bike) in the snow all season last year (but keep in mind I mostly ski in the winter, so that was only ~100 miles total). IMO they are underwhelming snow tires at best. If you just want one tire to do it all, I might give them the nod, but really the Hodags are better on dirt. They are really the smallest "fatbike" tire that exists (even narrower than the Nates) and if you want to ride lots of snow, I'd do the Barbis (if you want 27.5) or any number of 4.5+" 26er tires instead.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Brad: Thanks for tip. At this point I am planning on hanging on to the old wheels. They are currently set up with Nates. I can go wider if I need it this winter
    Walt: Thanks for the review. For right now the Hodags are going to have to work as they are the only 27.5 x 3.8 tire that I know of.

mtbr member
    I got the wheels and tires end of the week. I mounted them up Saturday morning. I took some quick pictures of the Hodags on the 50mm rim next to other wheels for comparison.
    80mm rim with a 3.8 Nate
    Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-0ad3c082-aed7-416c-bf53-3f3c0f8ffa31_zpsv3n02dak.jpg
    front view
    Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-4027e54e-a49e-4c41-876a-d0a28ea93279_zpshe4b72xf.jpg

29 x 2.35 Minion on 30mm internal width
    Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-a17db4d9-ea77-477a-8882-a6de3ab94f08_zps5s4rhb2d.jpg

mtbr member
    I got the wheels and tires end of the week. I mounted them up Saturday morning. I took some quick pictures of the Hodags on the 50mm rim next to other wheels for comparison.
    80mm rim with a 3.8 Nate
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AD3C082-AED7-416C-BF53-3F3C0F8FFA31_zpsv3n02dak.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	1100286
    front view

Name:	4027E54E-A49E-4C41-876A-D0A28EA93279_zpshe4b72xf.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	1100287

29 x 2.35 Minion on 30mm internal width

Name:	A17DB4D9-EA77-477A-8882-A6DE3AB94F08_zps5s4rhb2d.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1100289
    So is it safe to say it's slightly taller then the Nate and a touch shorter then the 29 minion?

Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    So is it safe to say it's slightly taller then the Nate and a touch shorter then the 29 minion?
    I measured a B Fat Hodag on a 50mm rim and a 29 x 2.5 Minion on a 40mm rim. Height was within a millimeter. Effectively identical.

Because the (nominal) 2.35" Minions are so low-volume, I'd think they'd be ~5mm shorter in overall height than the Hodag.

mtbr member
    I measured a B Fat Hodag on a 50mm rim and a 29 x 2.5 Minion on a 40mm rim. Height was within a millimeter. Effectively identical.

Because the (nominal) 2.35" Minions are so low-volume, I'd think they'd be ~5mm shorter in overall height than the Hodag.
    Sweet, thanks Mike! Do you stock them or have a recommendation on where to order?

Sweet, thanks Mike! Do you stock them or have a recommendation on where to order?
    I do stock the Hodag's and ship daily. Your local Trek dealer can get them for you too.

Also, not sure if everyone has seen these yet, but Bontrager now makes a 27.5 x 4.5" Gnarwhal. The set I have measured 4.44" on an 80mm rim at ~15psi. That's new, unstretched.

Big, aggressive tread blocks.

They come unstudded, but with stud pockets so that you can add your own. IIRC there are 216 pockets per tire.

IMO this tire (studded or not) is the one that will put B Fat on the map for John Q. Public. Pending actual on-snow testing, I'm betting my sweetie will be on these this winter instead of her all-time-favorite Bud/Lou.

mtbr member
    I have seen pics of the gnarwhal, but I'm working with a 50mm rims. You think they are worth a shot or stick to the 3.5-3.8's?

I have seen pics of the gnarwhal, but I'm working with a 50mm rims. You think they are worth a shot or stick to the 3.5-3.8's?
    Hodag's are perfect on 50 - 60mm rims. Gnar's are much, much bigger tires: I'd want an 80mm rim at least for them.

mtbr member
    Hodag's are perfect on 50 - 60mm rims. Gnar's are much, much bigger tires: I'd want an 80mm rim at least for them.
    Right on, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hey Mike, will the Gnarwhals fit on the Fatillac? Or Farley EX?
    In the summer I build trails: www.sinuosity.net
    In the winter I build these: www.fatbikeskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by BikesOnSnow View Post
    Hey Mike, will the Gnarwhals fit on the Fatillac? Or Farley EX?
    No, and I don't know. These are *huge* tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Interesting to hear about good experience of a Bontrager tire. Is it good on wet roots and rocks? How is the rubber compared to more sticky compounds, just wonder since the Bontrager rubber compound is known for me to be really firm.....

Big wheels keep on rollin

Mike ... what is the actual diameter? I'm considering building a set of 27.5 wheels for my Ritchey Commando. Seems like I could fit something 750mm diameter easily.

mtbr member
    Good to see a new tire available in B Fat! Mike, can you comment on the size of the new Gnarwhal compared to the Barbegazi?

I'm hoping for something right between the Hodag and Barbegazi, but have a feeling the Gnarwhal is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    Mike ... what is the actual diameter? I'm considering building a set of 27.5 wheels for my Ritchey Commando. Seems like I could fit something 750mm diameter easily.
    I'd have to measure again to be 100% sure, but the number that sticks out in my memory right now is 778. And that's unstretched. Hyuge.

Edit! The above is for the new B Fat Gnarwhal.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Good to see a new tire available in B Fat! Mike, can you comment on the size of the new Gnarwhal compared to the Barbegazi?

I'm hoping for something right between the Hodag and Barbegazi, but have a feeling the Gnarwhal is not it.
    Casing width and height are ~identical between Gnar and Barbe. Tread blocks are much taller on Gnar, giving it a slight increase in height if measured when sitting on a hard surface.

mtbr member
    Casing width and height are ~identical between Gnar and Barbe. Tread blocks are much taller on Gnar, giving it a slight increase in height if measured when sitting on a hard surface.
    Thanks for the info Mike. Not the tire I'm looking for I guess. The wait continues for the Maxxis offerings...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any word on release date?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm a little bit surprised that 27.5 x 3.8 Minions are not available in US since I have been riding them for a couple of weeks already here in Finland. Mounted on a Farley 9 and FBF in both front and rear since it looked like installing studs on FBR can be more challenging. Rear has been installed against its suggested rolling direction.

I've been riding them on maybe 2" of snow and traction is excellent. As compared to Hodags, they seem to have more rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    would you mind sharing where you purchased them from?

Quote Originally Posted by zebster View Post
    I'm a little bit surprised that 27.5 x 3.8 Minions are not available in US since I have been riding them for a couple of weeks already here in Finland. Mounted on a Farley 9 and FBF in both front and rear since it looked like installing studs on FBR can be more challenging. Rear has been installed against its suggested rolling direction.

I've been riding them on maybe 2" of snow and traction is excellent. As compared to Hodags, they seem to have more rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    would you mind sharing where you purchased them from?
    Local Trek dealer here in northern Finland. They originally had just one but got the second one after they ordered them somewhere, took just two days to arrive.

I cant see them available in any webshop in Europe, except one located in Finland (hi5bikes.fi). They list them and FBF is priced @ 95 Euros. I paid 170 Euros for two from the Trek dealer.

mtbr member
    many thanks! i've put an order in so will see what happens. thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The FBF 27.5x3.8 is showing available on Maxxis website $120.00 U.S. each

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Any word on release date?

The 27.5x3.8 FBF Minion you can get in US here: (FBR not available)

Bicycle, Fat Bike / Plus Tire, Minion FBF*

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, but no FBR. Hopefully both will be available soon or my new wheels will be bare

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I will try to put Minions on a 50mm Nextie rim, and try to use it on the Mutz. It might be tight because of the diameterm? Anyone that could measure the diameter or compare to a 29er wheel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Minions have much better grip than the poor rubber compound of the Hodags. I suppose you are riding in wet conditions in Finland, on forest ground with roots and rocks.

mtbr member

Totally unrelated to this thread I asked the LBS tonight to check availability on these tires. According to them they were not able to find either on the distributer site. As soon as the FBR is available I will have them order both.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Totally unrelated to this thread I asked the LBS tonight to check availability on these tires. According to them they were not able to find either on the distributer site. As soon as the FBR is available I will have them order both.
    Same here, we have it on the qbp alert....just waiting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ordered 2 FBF from Finland. It seems to be okay to use a FBF rear. It has also less rolling resistance than the FBR. And better knobs for studs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Local Trek dealer here in northern Finland. They originally had just one but got the second one after they ordered them somewhere, took just two days to arrive.

I cant see them available in any webshop in Europe, except one located in Finland (hi5bikes.fi). They list them and FBF is priced @ 95 Euros. I paid 170 Euros for two from the Trek dealer.
    Thanks for sharing this, ordered a DHF yesterday and it has been shipped today to the UK. Can't wait to get it mounted up on my 45mm ID rim to see how it behaves, and check the measurements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Minions have much better grip than the poor rubber compound of the Hodags. I suppose you are riding in wet conditions in Finland, on forest ground with roots and rocks.
    Yes, roots are pretty common on trails :-). I got the Minions for winter since I have Bluto and therefore cannot use any larger tyre in front. And, decided to use the same as rear wheel because of the need for studs. I use the Farley as my daily bike to work also so I cannot choose when to ride it. In rare occasions with water on ice, riding without studs is a bit dangerous.

Yesterday I lowered the tyre pressure down to 5 psi in both front and rear. My first impression was that Minion in front is more stable than Hodag with this low pressure. Was a bit surprised how well it rolled since was expecting really hard pedaling. In about 3-4" of snow, I really like Minions. Of course when there's more snow 3.8" is not as good as the wider ones... But this is what I'm going to use, at least for this winter.

My experience is exactly the *opposite*.

I've ridden the FBF/FBR in 4.8 and 4.0. DHF in 3.0 and 2.5. And the B Fat Hodag.

I don't know if the difference is in the rubber blend, or the fact that the Hodag has siped knobs, but I find the Maxxis offerings to be sketchy on wet dirt, worse on wet rock. They go sideways pretty fast, whether you're expecting/prepared or not. I also found the FBF/FBR to be pretty slow on snow, and (again) to not have great lateral grip in that environment.

Dry dirt and dry rock were a wash between them.

Not suggesting that the FBF/FBR are bad tires, just that compared to the Hodag I find them lacking when things get slippery.

I might be the only person that's not excited about the new Maxxis B Fat tires.

mtbr member
    I'm not excited about the new Maxxis offering either. I think most people on here are just excited there is another option other then the Hodag. I'm still waiting for that perfect B fat tire, I have faith eventually they'll release what I'm searching for!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Dry dirt and dry rock were a wash between them.

Not suggesting that the FBF/FBR are bad tires, just that compared to the Hodag I find them lacking when things get slippery.

I might be the only person that's not excited about the new Maxxis B Fat tires.
    Interesting to know! So how will you compare it to 45Nrth Van Helgas? When you say slippery on rocks, is that on slick rock surface? I am just curious what kind of surface you are riding on?

Nothing better if they have started to use softer rubber compound. My experience is that Bontrager fat bike tires have even harder rubber than Surly tires like Bud/Lou, that is for my terrain not usable other than if ground is covered with snow.

mtbr member

Do you have any relative measurements between the Hodag and the Maxxis tires? Wondering if they are true 3.8 tires or undersized like the Hodag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not excited about the new Maxxis offering either. I think most people on here are just excited there is another option other then the Hodag. I'm still waiting for that perfect B fat tire, I have faith eventually they'll release what I'm searching for!
    Nah, I want these tires, I'm gonna break em in and see how they do over time. I'm a Maxxis fan boy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Do you have any relative measurements between the Hodag and the Maxxis tires? Wondering if they are true 3.8 tires or undersized like the Hodag.
    Initially after installing them width was a bit less than 3.8" as measured from knobs but now after using them the same measurement gives me 3.8". Note that these are installed on jackalope rims. I don't remember width measurement of Hodags. Diameter is close to same as in Hodag, I did not need to re-aadjust the diameter setting on my Sigma to get the correct speed and trip length - checked this with the gps on my phone.

Hopefully I have time to stud these on the coming weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mine arrived this morning from Finland. Just one for now on the front of my B+. If all goes well will get a set for my Bucksaw.

Few measurements with pics...

Height - 743 mm with tape measure against wall.

Width at knobs at 13 psi, tubed on 45mm internal rims - 88 mm

Width at casing - 83 mm

Forgot to do bead to bead but will measure that before setting up tubeless.

Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_092708_b.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_092930_b.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_092949_b.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_093604_b.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_092654_b.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_093622_b.jpg
    Last edited by tim.johnston; 11-21-2016 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    and weight, 1476g.Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-20161121_090444_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Mine also arrived. Freshly mounted, at 25psi on a Nextie Black Eagle 65mm external rim, I get 747mm diameter, 90mm carcass and 95mm knob width. The bead to bead I didn't measure, but it was a few more mm than a used hodag.
    Last edited by dRjOn; 11-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Mine also arrived. Freshly mounted, at 25psi on a Nextie Black Eagle 65mm external rim, I get 747mm diameter, 90mm carcass and 85mm knob width. The bead to bead I didn't measure, but it was a few more mm than a used hodag.
    Thanks for the measurements. Any chance you can measure them at riding pressures, more like 6 PSI? From all the measurements, doesn't seem to be much bigger than the Hodag, if at all. Looks like I'll be saving my money...

mtbr member
    Name:  31123767496_164fcdf3a7.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  104.7 KB

it lost 1.5-2mm at <10psi riding pressure. i'll measure again in a few days, but the sidewall construction is a lot beefier than the hodag so i doubt it will stretch. Generally, it feels similar to the hodag - lots of traction, perhaps a better edge, but i've only ridden hodags on 52mm external rims so it is rounder. The minion coped with frosty roots that have been wet for weeks well and in general was excellent for 2.5 hrs today, but it is early days. it is noticeably heavier than the hodag - 200g or so - and the sidewall being beefier resisted rim strike more than the hodag, again, on a narrower rim which might have some effect.

I like it. not sure i like it much more than the hodag. time will tell...and in general, you can consider this tyre pretty much the same size as a hodag...its within the odd mm or two...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    First ride today, left feeling a bit disappointed to be honest. A good point is the casing, really top quality, protective and supportive while staying stable at single digit psi even on thin 45mm ID rims. Just my two pennies worth but apart from that though they didn't really do it for me in terms of being an aggressive B fat tyre. I kind of knew as soon as I saw it in the flesh that the knobs were too small, and that the casing rather than the knobs would dominate the feel. I'm not a fan of bulbous fat tyres with small treads and the Vanhelga and Bud are my favourite 26" tyres, and Dirt Wizards in plus formats. For some reason, probably because of the reputation of the Minion, I though it was going to feel at least towards these with an aggressive edge and knobs you can feel digging in, but at least on these rims, it felt vague and rounded and not at all confidence inspiring. It did deal with foul British muddy rooty singletrack very well though, maybe it's just a visual or psychological thing with the small knobs, who knows. Anyway, Dirt Wizards back on the front tomorrow for me.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston View Post
    and weight, 1476g.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161121_090444_b.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	1106469
    And that's me out... I just swapped my Hodags back to plus until there is snow on the ground because it's not worth the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Name:  31123767496_164fcdf3a7.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  104.7 KB

it lost 1.5-2mm at <10psi riding pressure. i'll measure again in a few days, but the sidewall construction is a lot beefier than the hodag so i doubt it will stretch. Generally, it feels similar to the hodag - lots of traction, perhaps a better edge, but i've only ridden hodags on 52mm external rims so it is rounder. The minion coped with frosty roots that have been wet for weeks well and in general was excellent for 2.5 hrs today, but it is early days. it is noticeably heavier than the hodag - 200g or so - and the sidewall being beefier resisted rim strike more than the hodag, again, on a narrower rim which might have some effect.

I like it. not sure i like it much more than the hodag. time will tell...and in general, you can consider this tyre pretty much the same size as a hodag...its within the odd mm or two...

Thanks for all the info on these, confirms I will not be buying them. I'm generally easy on tires, and the Hodag sidewalls are plenty beefy for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hello Tim,

You are running 3.8 on a B+? I too have B+ that came with Maxxis Chronicles and I find myself washing out constantly. I wanted something more aggressive and up until now I see there is a Duro Crux that is unobtainable and a Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5x3 that seems very aggressive. I like the supple feel of the Chronicles though. I am looking for as much volume as possible to stuff into my B+ frame now that snow is flying in Central NY.

I think I could get ~83mm into the rear of my Loki. I have 40 mm rims. I true fat bike is in my future. I'll ride as long as I can into the snowy season with my B+. I saw the thread title and was hoping I could get a hodag on 40mm well under 3.5 at the knobs but that doesn't appear to be feasible.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by on58960 View Post
    Hello Tim,

You are running 3.8 on a B+? I too have B+ that came with Maxxis Chronicles and I find myself washing out constantly. I wanted something more aggressive and up until now I see there is a Duro Crux that is unobtainable and a Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5x3 that seems very aggressive. I like the supple feel of the Chronicles though. I am looking for as much volume as possible to stuff into my B+ frame now that snow is flying in Central NY.

I think I could get ~83mm into the rear of my Loki. I have 40 mm rims. I true fat bike is in my future. I'll ride as long as I can into the snowy season with my B+. I saw the thread title and was hoping I could get a hodag on 40mm well under 3.5 at the knobs but that doesn't appear to be feasible.
    I have the Crux also and it's big, that would be your best bet for volume. I could not fit it in the rear of my B+. It's tall as well, big tyre. You can get them from a unicycle company in Italy ( at least you could a month ago ). The sidewalls seemed really thin though if you ride rocky terrain. For me the best fit and forget B+ tyre is the Dirt Wizard. Anyway, plenty of this sort of info on the Plus forum...

mtbr member
    Name:  31015980372_d190838903.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  241.6 KB

A bit more time on this tyre now. It hasn't stretched in any meaningful way. I have ridden it down to 4psi, where it doesn't squirm much, but there is a lot of drag and counter steer. 6psi up and it's grand.

It seems to have more rolling resistance than the hodag. It is noticeably heavier.

It doesn't flinch when you ride it at speed into piles of rocks and roots. This is akin to the heavier casing 29er versions. I would bottom out my hodag in the same scenario.

Grip is very similar to the hodag - i find it a little less likely to slip on our brand of de=barked roots and fallen tree stuff.

Overall: it's good to have the option. In general, I think the hodag is better. The hodag rides like a plus tyre rather than a full fat - fast and responsive and the weight is easily manageable. With the minions girth, it behaves a little more like a full fat tyre for some reason.

Snow might be interesting...as it runs a lower pressure with less issues thanks to the more robust casing (mine are the 120tpi TR ones).

Ok for now.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the 27.5 x 3.8 Minion yet, but the Hodag has amazing grip on wet New England rocks. One of the last rides I did on my Nate Mulefut combo was on a very rocky technical trail that was wet from previous nights rain. The grip was so bad I bailed half way trough the ride. I rode the same trails a few weeks later in the same conditions, and the Hodags were amazing. It was a NEMBA ride day with 300+ other riders. I was in a group of about 8 other fatbikes. I was one of the only ones who didn't wreck on slippery rocks. I slid off a slick wood bridge. Short of studs nothing would have helped there.
    On the flip side, my 2.35 Minions on my 29er have been solid in all conditions around here.

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any chance of Gnarwhal on 50mm rim fitting the Fox 34 Boost Plus fork? Hoping it's possible since that fork will accommodate a Flowbeist 4.6 on Marge Lite... I realize a 80mm rim would be more appropriate but hey a Bud does ok on Marge Lite front...

Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Any chance of Gnarwhal on 50mm rim fitting the Fox 34 Boost Plus fork? Hoping it's possible since that fork will accommodate a Flowbeist 4.6 on Marge Lite... I realize a 80mm rim would be more appropriate but hey a Bud does ok on Marge Lite front...
    Haven't tried it, but I'd give it a ~5% chance, at best. It's a big tire. And I think you'd need much more than ideal pressure to keep it from squirming on a 50. Try it and let us know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The Hodags are pretty close to DH tires, or at least as close as you'll get right now. And they're not stupid heavy. If you run them on ~50mm rims the sidewalls are nicely protected by the knobs and I like the profile.

Can you kill them? Yes. You can kill anything. But they are a very, very capable tire if you're waiting on the Minion.

And for once, and probably the only time ever, I have more experience with a tire on snow than Mike! I rode 27.5 Hodags (on a 5" travel FS bike) in the snow all season last year (but keep in mind I mostly ski in the winter, so that was only ~100 miles total). IMO they are underwhelming snow tires at best. If you just want one tire to do it all, I might give them the nod, but really the Hodags are better on dirt. They are really the smallest "fatbike" tire that exists (even narrower than the Nates) and if you want to ride lots of snow, I'd do the Barbis (if you want 27.5) or any number of 4.5+" 26er tires instead.

-Walt
    Hi Walt, what do you think that would be better for a non suspension-do it all-trail bike, 29+ or 27.5x3.8? Thanks in advance. Merry xmas!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

We the people ...

A small update for studded Minions:

Put about 200 studs per tyre, should have done this a bit earlier. Every now and then temps rise up to + celcius and trails are covered by ice and next to impossible to ride safely. I've ridden about 1000 miles this winter without the studs and it is just ok as long as the ground has something to grip on. Now after studding these the grip is excellent on ice - Hodags & winter is totally out of the question now. These are simply just excellent for the winter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Put about 200 studs per tyre, should have done this a bit earlier. Every now and then temps rise up to + celcius and trails are covered by ice and next to impossible to ride safely. I've ridden about 1000 miles this winter without the studs and it is just ok as long as the ground has something to grip on. Now after studding these the grip is excellent on ice - Hodags & winter is totally out of the question now. These are simply just excellent for the winter.
    Two questions:

Can you help me get a Minion 3.8 DHR?
    Are you running it backwards on purpose?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Two questions:

I sent a query to the shop asking for DHR and they told that it is not available, sorry.

Rear is intentionally installed backwards - before studding them I just thought that installing it backwards would get me more grip....

WNC Native
    Two questions:

Umm, that's a FBF not a FBR.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Google search for FBR:

Maxxis Minion FBR 27.5x3.8inch 650B EXO TR Folding MTB Tyre

So, there seems to be a shop in Australia that has the FBR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Umm, that's a FBF not a FBR.
    Oh yeah, now I see what you're saying..

Yeah, I meant FBR, ... just too many frigging names. I want the 27.5 x 3.8 rear minion.

Thanks for the Aussie find, I just ordered one, $114USD delivered.

Might take a while, so now for some wheel building

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hot off the boat, direct from the land down under, weighing in at 1272gms, the one, the only (in the USA). I'll admit, the weight difference is suprising.

Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-2017-02-07-18.35.52.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-2017-02-07-19.11.48.jpgMinion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-2017-02-07-19.12.07.jpg

mtbr member
    do you get a sense of whether that is sidewall or knob? hairy eyeball would suggest 200g difference in knobs would be pushing it a bit, but i cant imagine the carcass being too different either....

WNC Native
    Hot off the boat, direct from the land down under, weighing in at 1272gms, the one, the only (in the USA).
    Actually they are available now in the US - https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=5792
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    do you get a sense of whether that is sidewall or knob? hairy eyeball would suggest 200g difference in knobs would be pushing it a bit, but i cant imagine the carcass being too different either....
    Knobs, casing feels the same, can't imagine they have two different 120tpi casings. The FBF has more rubber.

I'm happy to have a lighter tire in back with my heavy hub

It figures the FBR would show up in the States at the same time as my tire arrived from overseas....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got a complete set, just need a little dirt

Tight fit on Sunringle Duroc 50s, Onyx Racing hubs, 93mm at 25psi:

Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-2017-02-18-22.58.35.jpg

mtbr member
    Got a complete set, just need a little dirt

Tight fit on Sunringle Duroc 50s, Onyx Racing hubs, 93mm at 25psi:

Name:	2017-02-18 22.58.35.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1122310
    Looks nice, but what's the width at riding pressure, like below 10psi?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't know, ain't rode em yet; they're just for show

I'll run lowish, but I didn't build these for snow, they're for rock crawling and tech.

I'm going to the west side this coming weekend, I'll have more to report then.

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    I have FBF's and the casing measures about 87mm, 93mm at the knobs on Scraper i45's. They are at about 12 psi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-img_2055.jpg  

Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-img_2059.jpg  

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Compared to the 26 x 4 Minion on a 70mm rim. Sorry, not sure why pics are coming in sideways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minion 27.5 x 3.8 available yet?-img_2007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    90-91mm at 10psi.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moto View Post
    Compared to the 26 x 4 Minion on a 70mm rim. Sorry, not sure why pics are coming in sideways.
    What width rim is the 26" FBF on?

mtbr member
    90-91mm at 10psi.
    Thanks for that. That's knob width I'm assuming?

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    What width rim is the 26" FBF on?
    The 26" is on a Whisky 70mm rim. It fits in the Fox fork with room to spare. Previously, I had a Vanhelga on it which was wider than the Minion with little room to spare. It worked without issue but probably the max I would go on the Fox.

WNC Native
    Thanks for the comparison pic and answer. Must have still been asleep when I asked as I clearly see the rim width in that post now, lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for that. That's knob width I'm assuming?
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

What did you use to stud the Minions? I bought grip studs but couldn't get the things to bite into the tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Had a few rides with the 3.8 Minions on snow, running pressures from 6-8psi, no problems with grip, very stable, fast rolling. Not great for soft conditions, but very nice gor firm groomed.

Had a long ride on mixed surfaces, packed and unpacked snow, muck, mud, water, grass, some firm soil, and some rugged basalt. Tire pressures ranged from 6-10psi. These tires are excellent for mixed use, shoulder season, very stable, worked well in all conditions, but they were especially good on rock.

I like the added height of 27.5 x 3.8 over the 26 x 4, I don't lose pedal clearance coming from 26 x 5, heights are nearly identical.

I also have 29 x 3 Minions waiting for drier conditions, unfortunately they are significantly taller thsn my other wheelsets.

To bad they dont make a 28 x 3"

mtbr member
    These tires are difficult to set up tubeless!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    These tires are difficult to set up tubeless!
    No problems with mine, set up tight with a compressor, added sealant, fill and play, no issues, one of the better TLs I've done.

What rims and tape are you running?

mtbr member
    Mulefut 50, they came taped from the factory.

The first set I had, setup easy but leaked through the side wall and did not hold air overnight.
    The second set was not so easy to set up, had to use a tube first to set the bead, but this only worked for one tire, the second tire just wont pump up no mater what method I use, so I have to keep a tube in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Mulefut 50, they came taped from the factory.

The first set I had, setup easy but leaked through the side wall and did not hold air overnight.
    The second set was not so easy to set up, had to use a tube first to set the bead, but this only worked for one tire, the second tire just wont pump up no mater what method I use, so I have to keep a tube in it.
    You need a compressor, $100 or less, nice tool. It's rare that I can get a tire to go tubeless with a floor pump, esp tires with stiff sidewalls.

Of all the tires I've set up tubeless, the Minions have been the best (same can said of all Maxxis tires), no leaks, hold air, spin true.

You might be able to get it with patience, run the tire with a tube for a bit, then pull it, clean it, get it warm, then try again.

Pulling a tube complicates matters because you're breaking the bead. Try a cam strap, use soapy water.

Get a small compressor or go to a shop and borrow one. Be sure to pull the valve core first.

It's not the tire, just saying

mtbr member
    When I picked up the tires one looked nice and formed, the other kinda deformed and lopped sided.
    The lopped sided one is the one causing isues and has a little run-out when spun. I checked the rim with a zip-tie on each side of the frame and it seems true.

I was thinking the same thing, ride it for a few days and then try tubeless again.
    I keep the bike inside so tires are warm.

P.S. I did try the cam strap and hot soapy water with no luck, also no luck with the compressor, figured it was just too warped and needed a tube to straiten it out hopefully.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Could be bad from the mold, get those once in a while, even with car tires. Exchange it and try again?

bigger than you.
    You need a compressor, $100 or less, nice tool. It's rare that I can get a tire to go tubeless with a floor pump, esp tires with stiff sidewalls.
    all of my WTB & Specialized 27.5+ tires (Bridger, Ranger and Ground Control) and the Bontrager Hodag 27.5x3.8 tires I have will seat with a cheap, all plastic Avenir floor pump.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    all of my WTB & Specialized 27.5+ tires (Bridger, Ranger and Ground Control) and the Bontrager Hodag 27.5x3.8 tires I have will seat with a cheap, all plastic Avenir floor pump.
    I hear ya, before I had a compressor, I did all mine with a floor pump, it requires more finesse, but most of the time it can be done. Now I have a compressor, it's way faster

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post

This. If tires won't seat with a floor pump, I don't trust 'em. And I'll do what I can to find out if it's the rim or the tire that's causing the problem.

P.S. My Minions did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This. If tires won't seat with a floor pump, I don't trust 'em. And I'll do what I can to find out if it's the rim or the tire that's causing the problem.

P.S. My Minions did.
    In theory I agree, it's certainly easier for the average person installing at home.

That said, I think tubeless bike tires are moving into the auto/motorcycle realm because we are asking more of our tores, better seals and more reliability.

Expecting a tire to stay seated on a rim, esp at low pressues, while exerting substantial pressure against the sidewalls, and requiring it to be easy to install and easy to remove... that may be asking a lot.

I'd prefer to have tires that are hard to get seated, but will stay seated when they go flat. It may mean more work for the mechanic, but it also means less walking for the rider.

On the trail, I'd rather use sealant and a plug kit to fix a leak than have to put in a tube or try to reseat a tire.

that may be asking a lot.

Why? Manufacturing tolerances exist for exactly this reason -- it's just that we the consumer have been lax at insisting the industry stick to them.

I'd prefer to have tires that are hard to get seated, but will stay seated when they go flat.

If a tire requires a compressor to seat, that indicates that the bead interface is too loose, and that it won't stay seated when flat -- or even low.

On the trail, I'd rather use sealant and a plug kit to fix a leak than have to put in a tube or try to reseat a tire.

Yep, agreed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I swapped wheels from the 27.5 x 3.8 Minions to the 29+ Minions, took a long ride, flow, techy, firm dirt, bunch of rock, some mud and snow, by the end of the day I was missing the 27.5

Mike is onto something, the combination of wheel height and tire width are just right. This size needs to become the standard, there's no need for 26 x 4.

mtbr member
    I agree that 26x4 could just go away now. Although for max float, I guess 26x5 or bigger is still way to go. I'm on 27.5x4.5 now on my fatbike and think it's great.

As far as tubeless, I've fount the Bontrager Barbegazzi mounted to Bontrager Jackalop rims to be awesome. Mounted and inflated easily with a floor pump, and I've run them all winter with no sealant, with barely any pressure drop. I wouldn't do that in the summer months, but for snow riding it's great to not worry about sealant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree that 26x4 could just go away now. Although for max float, I guess 26x5 or bigger is still way to go. I'm on 27.5x4.5 now on my fatbike and think it's great.

As far as tubeless, I've fount the Bontrager Barbegazzi mounted to Bontrager Jackalop rims to be awesome. Mounted and inflated easily with a floor pump, and I've run them all winter with no sealant, with barely any pressure drop. I wouldn't do that in the summer months, but for snow riding it's great to not worry about sealant.
    26 x 5 for snow is good, 27.5 x 4 for general riding, diameters are similar, so work well on the same bike.

mtbr member
    I finally got around to installing mine, and both aired up easily with a floor pump. Both tires needed to be exchanged under warranty. With the beed set all around the tire they both had quite a bit of wobble. I brought it into the shop where I got them, and they had the same result. Maxxis agreed to warranty them. They were ordered by the LBS when they first became available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast