NONDURO

Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

Noticed that Pricepoint was selling these for super-cheap ($36.98): Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0 Folding Tire | Vee Rubber | Brand | www.PricePoint.com so I bought one, thinking to myself, “How bad could an 1,810 gram tire be?” I tested it mounted on the rear wheel of my 9:zero:7, on an old-school 65mm wide double-walled Surly Large Marge DH rim. My first impression was that the tread pattern was designed in MS Paint rather than being based on a real-world set of testing parameters. I set out this past Wednesday on a 24.3 mile test ride to nearby Santa Teresa County Park, which has a variety of technical, rocky, loose, STEEP, singletrack, hardpack conditions, and of course riding to/from the trails allowed me to test the tire out on the paved sections and some flowy overgrowth-ridden singletrack.

Pavement: works great, low rolling resistance (compared to a Surly Nate), once you get the bike up to speed it carries energy like a flywheel

Hardpacked dirt: works great, traction up hills seems OK

Loose rocky/gravelly stuff: kinda sketchy handling, braking ain’t soo great, and braking leaves me worrysome on steep downhill sections (I purposely braked earlier than I would have on a Nate)

Snow: n/a (no snow where I live in California)

Mud: I tried to find some, but it’s been pretty dry here for a month or so

Sand: ehh, I suppose an Endomorph would track better, but it didn’t give me too much trouble

Steep+loose climbs: don’t try this at home–rear tire kept on breaking traction even when I was seated

Overall rating: 2 out of 5 stars

These tires would work great on a fat cruiser (like those $200 Walmart fatbikes), or perhaps if you want to use your fatbike as a commuter bike. I ordered two On-One Floater 26"x4.0" tires a few days ago, eager to try them out and write another mini fatbike tire review.

Oh, and here’s the Stravage of the test ride:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the write-up. Seems like there is an art to making a good fatbike tire. I swapped out my Nate in the rear for a HUDU. Looking for a good front or rear tire. Gonna pass on this tire though

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. Seems like there is an art to making a good fatbike tire. I swapped out my Nate in the rear for a HUDU. Looking for a good front or rear tire. Gonna pass on this tire though
    From what I have been reading, the On-One Floater should be a contender for a Nate replacement.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

Vee Rubber also makes the Floater. I don't get how they make the Floater, which seems to get good reviews, and then half-ass their house brand tires.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Vee Rubber also makes the Floater. I don't get how they make the Floater, which seems to get good reviews, and then half-ass their house brand tires.
    Because Vee Rubber did not design the Floater tread or pick the casing spec. I did. The manufacturing of the tires is fine in both cases.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I too got 'em from pricepoint.com for aroung $30 each.

I plan to use them for summer tires and testing until I figure out which high dollar fat bike tire I'm willing to shell out a hundred bucks for.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Because Vee Rubber did not design the Floater tread or pick the casing spec. I did. The manufacturing of the tires is fine in both cases.
    I know this. I'm saying since they have been making tires for a long time, and now manufacture the Floater, they should know what makes a good tire. That doesn't seem to be reflected in their house brand fatbike tires. The OP said it seems like they designed the tread in MS paint. You'd think a company that does nothing but make tires, would know how to design one.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I know this. I'm saying since they have been making tires for a long time, and now manufacture the Floater, they should know what makes a good tire. That doesn't seem to be reflected in their house brand fatbike tires. The OP said it seems like they designed the tread in MS paint. You'd think a company that does nothing but make tires, would know how to design one.
    And I am saying just because they manufacture it, the Floater has nothing to do with Vee Rubber's ability or willingness to design and produce a tire. I would be perfectly happy to help them with future designs.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Shiggy, where can I buy the Floaters in the US? Met someone riding them today and was impressed. I need an upgrade before winter (Surly Endo's aren't good in soft snow). I didn't want to fork over the cash for the Nates, so the Floats would fit the bill. Do you know how they do in the snow? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tylot3 View Post
    Shiggy, where can I buy the Floaters in the US? Met someone riding them today and was impressed. I need an upgrade before winter (Surly Endo's aren't good in soft snow). I didn't want to fork over the cash for the Nates, so the Floats would fit the bill. Do you know how they do in the snow? Thanks!
    Only available from On-One. If they do not have them in Portland (on the Titus shopping site), you have to order from the UK.

I have yet to actually see the tire.

You need to ask about tires for soft snow (in a new thread) with specifics on conditions and why the Endos did not work for you. Generally, the Nate has not been the choice.
    mtbtires.com

NONDURO
    Good to see some more comments within this thread, especially from the “Big Daddy Floater” man himself, Shiggy. I had no idea that Vee Rubber was also producing the On-One branded Floater. I suppose I can cut them some slack now, for the lack of quality of the Mission fat tire– a 400-some-odd gram difference in weight between the Mission and the Floater– in addition to a proper tread pattern, should seal the deal. Upon receipt of said Floater tires (and mounting onto my fatbike) I will be sure to do a thorough test of their capabilities on all terrain conditions (with the exception of snow, which is lacking in my location) and hope to find some mud to test them out in. Once again, my benchmark of perfection currently is the Surly Nate 26"x3.8" tire as I have had roughly four-thousand miles of testing on them in every condition except for snow.

NONDURO
    Took receipt of the two 26"x4.0" On-One/Vee Rubber Floater tires today. Noticed a five-ounce weight difference between the two and decided to pop off the Mission from the back of my 9:zero:7 and mount up one of the Floaters… although I forgot to pay attention to which of the Floaters (remember, 5-ounce discrepancy) I mounted. Will be going on a group ride tomorrow (Saturday July 6th 2013) morning at a local venue I’ve never been to (Soquel Demonstration Forest) with my trusty tried-and-trued-thousand-of-miles-over Surly Nate 26"x3.8" tire up front. I will follow up with a separate On-One Floater tire review thread afterward.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I will follow up with a separate On-One Floater tire review thread afterward.
    Or;

You could add your thoughts to this thread and keep it more collated for archival purposes. Just a thought.

On One Floater Tire Review
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Or;

You could add your thoughts to this thread and keep it more collated for archival purposes. Just a thought.

On One Floater Tire Review
    Well, OK, if you insist.

Nemophilist
    I don't.

Just a thought

(My bet is you will like them.)
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Snow: n/a (no snow where I live in California)

Mud: I tried to find some, but it’s been pretty dry here for a month or so
    250lb rider on Kona Wo rental bike, 16 days fatbike experience. Mud, grippy to slick, wasn't a problem really. Tried slush from 10psi down to 6, didn't matter, broke traction constantly. Cold snow, powder/packed powder conditions, plenty of traction @10psi. Today was windy, lots of spindrift, plows not out (just riding the snowpacked dirt streets/alleys of my neighborhood, dbltrk out-yer-door ftw). Only had traction on highly-packed areas.

Lightly packed, or any amount of super-fine-grained spindrift, broke traction. Places I've been riding over the past few snowy cold days were impassable on these tires, today. Dropping pressure just wore me out pumping the tires up again. Judging from my tracks, these tires don't want to "flatten out" even for my fat ass, maybe they'd be better on wider rims? Can't wait to try other, wider tires in the 2" spindrift, seems like it should be rideable. The 6" areas seem like they'd still be a challenge, but such fine-grained conditions aren't the norm.

The plows will be out in the morning, so tomorrow's rides will be back to plenty of traction, I'm sure. What I can't attest to, as I lack experience, is whether it's these particular tires at fault for breaking traction in the two snow conditions I mention, or just too much to expect from a 4"-wide tire to begin with?
    KOA radio: Broncos 97-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have reversed the direction of my rear tire (Mission) and it seems to have improved traction but then the snow is more packed today. I do not have much experience w/ fat bike having mine for only a week.

I am thinking about the Floaters yet I do wonder how much difference the tread design (same width) will make on soft 3 - 4 inches of snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bought a pair (around $33 each on sale) for summer riding so I don't wear out the $spendy tires I'm going to buy for winter.