mtbr member

Might buy a Pug - Sizing Question

I have been intrigued by the Fat bikes for a while now, but this winter the local trails took a hit over a month ago and the snow just hasn't stopped. Ice storm happening as I type...

Anyway, I have the chance to score an 18" Pug used for what seems like a good deal.

I am 6" with about a 31-32 inseam.

Normally I ride a Large...both 29ers are size L (Vicious Motivator and Ells Evolve), and am on about a 57 road bike.

this would be my first time purchasing a bike that I never looked at in person.

I have quite a few nice bikes, and am diggin' the idea of the Pug, but the grand plus a little to get it worries me if it doesn't fit.

I checked Surly's site but couldn't really find info on height to size recommendations.

Any help would be appreciated.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I am 6' with a 32" inseam and ride a 2011 20". No problems. It comes to personal preference for clearance in snow and if you plan to wear boots when riding.
    Last edited by Tripower; 02-02-2011 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm 6" 32" inseam, medium fits perfect

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am also 6' with something close to a 32 inch inseam (pants are 30) and I bought a medium....then I found it was too short for the seat post to get full extension when I wore my Winter boots and had to switch it for a large frame. I'd guess either would work for you but if you end up using thick boots it might be an issue. In my case it was just about a half inch too small...that difference between 31 and 32 might be critical but you could always get a longer third party seat post. It's such an upright geometry that handlebar height would not normally be an issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    depends if you ask me. If it is the older model (purple or grey) I think the 18" might be nice due to standover needs in snow. the newer models (brown or white) I think the larger would work. the newer models have a lower TT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am 5'11 with a 32" I have a 18" 2011 pugs I wanted more stand over room.

mtbr member
    Well, thanks for all the useful responses.

It sounds like I might be right on the line between an 18" and a 20" and, since the Pug is not local, will have ot either take the chance or bag it.

I'll let you know as I will try to decide today...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    OK so here's another question ...

As I am just learning about the "special" characteristics of the FatBike scene, I have read about the offset wheels of the Pug vs other designs.

What are the disadvantages of the Pug vs other fat bike designs?

Thanks again for your help in making a decision.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Well I think the 18" Pug would have fit me ok, but the price tag eventually got the better of the deal. I know snow bikes are popular, but it seems the general rule for used bikes is about 50% of msrp, which this (2008 model year) bike was not.

I guess I'll hang in there, keep gathering information, and give it some time.

Thanks for the help...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete
    Well I think the 18" Pug would have fit me ok, but the price tag eventually got the better of the deal. I know snow bikes are popular, but it seems the general rule for used bikes is about 50% of msrp, which this (2008 model year) bike was not.

I guess I'll hang in there, keep gathering information, and give it some time.

Thanks for the help...

SPP

If you don't mind the question what was the price for? Up until this year there wasn't a complete pugs, and rarely did a build happen for less than about $1900, average probably closer to $2200. So while the bike may not have been half the current model price, it isn't impossible that it was 50% or more off the original price, and my have had better components.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    If you don't mind the question what was the price for? Up until this year there wasn't a complete pugs, and rarely did a build happen for less than about $1900, average probably closer to $2200. So while the bike may not have been half the current model price, it isn't impossible that it was 50% or more off the original price, and my have had better components.
    08 Pug

Nice cranks, but a few generations ago XTR (pre-ext bb)

Older dual piston XT hydraulics (nice, but again components from at least 5 years ago)

Nothing special in particular, like King headset, etc.

The thing is that it looks like the Mukluk, whenever it becomes available, is under $2,000, and some of the other bikes like the Fatback seem to be priced pretty well, too.

I have quite a few bikes, all pretty high end, and while I don't oppose the component mix on this Pug, I would hope to get the bike for around $800 vs $1,000. And coming up with the $$$ isn't easy ... or the wisest thing to do.

So, I guess I'll wait on the Pug, because you never know ... maybe the guy will decide to sell it for that price.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading and looking and maybe something will turn up.

Thanks again for all the help...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    5"11" and 32" pants inseam. I have a 20" Purple pugs with the horizontal top tube. Allows huge frame-bag, but uncomfortable stand-over in deep snow. I rode a built 18" and a 20" around the store for nearly an hour before purchasing the 20" frame. Could go either way.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Frt Range, CO
    Seems like I am always debating between two frame sizes, MTB I go smaller, road bike I go bigger. The dicey situations on my MTBs are when I appreciate lots of stand over, never seems to happen on a test ride.

guy in the woods
    Try it before you buy it....

I have some demo Mukluks available if you are interested in the 17"md or 19"lg.

One is a custom shop build with XT/XTR rapid fire 9spd
    The other is the stock build with gripshift X.7.

Both are demos for the 2011 season. Depending on your specific application I think you can go either way....backcountry touring go larger....rock crawling and taking them wear the should go ...go smaller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whysinglespeed
    Try it before you buy it....

I have some demo Mukluks available if you are interested in the 17"md or 19"lg.

One is a custom shop build with XT/XTR rapid fire 9spd
    The other is the stock build with gripshift X.7.

Both are demos for the 2011 season. Depending on your specific application I think you can go either way....backcountry touring go larger....rock crawling and taking them wear the should go ...go smaller.
    I would love to demo one ... it does not look like you are local to me though.

SPP
    Rigid.

Members who have read this thread: 0