mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Middleburn RS-8 Snowbike Crank and "E" type front derailleur?

I need some help here. I am considering buying this set up for a Pugs. The ring on the "E" will fit between the frame and the drive side BB bearing. Will that cause interference with the crank? The thickness of that "E" type ring is probably 3/32"-1/8", that does not seem to be enough to make a difference but what do I know. I'm planning on going with a Duo spider and the 22T/32T. Rear tire will be standard Larry. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    That's the setup I have. The BB mount for E-type front derailleur replaces a spacer for the BB. I really like the middleburn crankset. Very nice quality. Make sure you order from Alex Nutt from MTBTandems

Any more questions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Middleburn

Hi Tracerpix: Great, just what I was hoping to hear. Yes, I will be ordering from Alex, This is Pugs # 2, Pugs # 1 has a Phil Wood BB and an RS-7, which I also ordered from Alex, great guy, and he has everythng in stock ready to order.
    How many spacers are there total? Which bearings did you use? Any pictures of your set-up?
    Thanks!

Fat & Single
    I have the uno set up and there loads of room for the duo spider + E-Type derailleur, i fitted the crank with a duo spider and single ring when working out the chainline with E-Type chain device fitted.

So ive got a pauls components E-Type chain device.... now with the "new" x-type middleburn cranks the Uno ring is offset outwards, but with the original ISIS/ST the uno ring was offset inwards.

When running 1 x 10 this give you a crazy chainline and no room to fit a chain device between the chainring and crankarm..... luckily i had a HBC ring that was a straight profile or alternatively an "original" uno with the inward offset would have done the job.

Ive been meaning to post this up for anyone thinking of running 1 x 10 X-type Middleburn.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I used a Chris King BB it came with 3 spacers. On my 9:zero:7 the only spacer I used was the BB mount from the e-type front derailleur. if I used another spacer I couldn't get the crank seated all the way on the spindle and it would bind on the BB.

BTW I have a DUO with 26T/39T.

Here are some pictures

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Middleburn RS-8 Snowbike Crank and "E" type front derailleur?-fattycrank.jpg  

Middleburn RS-8 Snowbike Crank and "E" type front derailleur?-fattycrankspacer.jpg  

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Hey all,

So Alex took these two pictures at the end of June when I was thinking about buying one of those X-Type cranks for my Vertigo. I wanted to determine how far apart the crankarms were when assembled. It looks like it's about 174mm apart, but my question for y'all is, can it be spaced a little wider (and still work properly, of course)? I didn't buy it because I think I needed it to be 180mm wide (I'll double-check later.)

Middleburn 100mm BB Crank | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Middleburn 100mm BB Crank | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'll be honest, I'm not loving my Phil Wood Ti bottom bracket. It doesn't take long after assembly before it creaks. I've slathered grease (Phil Wood, Pedro's, and Finish Line), blue Loctite, Permatex Anti-Seize, and the green loctite that it came with all at different times (and after cleaning it well). I've even sent back it back to PW, where they changed the bearings, and after about a month, they're rough again.

I bought the Chris King 100mm BB in anticipation of getting this Middleburn X-Type crank, but after consulting with Alex, it doesn't fit, I think. The BB sits lonely on my piano at home, prolly playing a sad song while I am away. I WANT IT TO FIT!

If you have this crank can you measure how far apart your arms are at the end? Not sure if it matters, but I'll be getting the 165 (if available) or the 170 if not.

Thanks,
    rickyd
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Middleburn

Tracerprix: Thanks for the photos. Do you have the part # for the Chris King BB?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockpoint 01 View Post
    Tracerprix: Thanks for the photos. Do you have the part # for the Chris King BB?
    Thanks!
    As far as I know it is just the mountain Chris King BB