Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mendon is at interbike but I have to ask, is this DLR2 110 Carbon lefty

A good candidate for a Fat tire conversion..?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm just learning as I go along..

Sup
    sorry but it is carbon with fixed clamps
    it is not a fat bike option

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    sorry but it is carbon with fixed clamps
    it is not a fat bike option

Sj
    Thanks Joe you save me a bunch of money..

mtbr member
    I have an extra DLR Titanium, Shoot me a note if you're interested. Perfect for a fatbike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    I have an extra DLR Titanium, Shoot me a note if you're interested. Perfect for a fatbike!
    Pm send...

By the way anybody know around how much the conversion service from Mendon cost, I can build the wheel my self, in fact I like to do it, but I do need the special clamps and the internal work on the fork done..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can somebody please tell me the going rate for a "Mendon lefty" with or with out the wheel, (Yes I did check Ebay, but I don't know where else to look)

I'm in the fence about looking for a lefty already transform or to buy the lefty and send it to Mendon for some magic..

Thanks as usual..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Can somebody please tell me the going rate for a "Mendon lefty" with or with out the wheel, (Yes I did check Ebay, but I don't know where else to look)

I'm in the fence about looking for a lefty already transform or to buy the lefty and send it to Mendon for some magic..

Thanks as usual..
    Check my build (My 9-0-7 build), to see his latest work. $750 for the rebuilt Lefty. $250 for a set of clamps. I will be painting the silver tubes red anodized soon.

mtbr member

Thanks as usual..
    Or just buy everything from Mendon. FFS...Fat Front Suspension. Worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Check my build (My 9-0-7 build), to see his latest work. $750 for the rebuilt Lefty. $250 for a set of clamps
    so let me get this clear you paid a $1000 for your fork, oh man that is way to much money

Can you make a run down of the charges and cost...??

I will be painting the silver tubes red anodized soon.

Dude you got me salivating with such a awesome build, but please don't paint them or anodize them red, I think that will be to much, maybe red clamps will do..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx4 View Post
    Or just buy everything from Mendon. FFS...Fat Front Suspension. Worth every penny.
    But how much does it cost...? all new stuff..??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Clamps are about what gcappy said. A used fork that will work for the purpose ranges from $200-400. (Most all will be used) At a minimum you will need some spacers to reduce travel figure $20-40. If there is anything wrong with it you need to get that fixed (bearings, boot, spring, return damper, internals etc)If you want to go all out and bring the old fork up to new standards then you can get a PBR damper installed for $250. And thus you arrive at the stated $750.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Clamps are about what gcappy said. A used fork that will work for the purpose ranges from $200-400. (Most all will be used) At a minimum you will need some spacers to reduce travel figure $20-40. If there is anything wrong with it you need to get that fixed (bearings, boot, spring, return damper, internals etc)If you want to go all out and bring the old fork up to new standards then you can get a PBR damper installed for $250. And thus you arrive at the stated $750.
    Thanks for the run down, man is tempting but is so much freaking money, maybe I stay rigid until I can wrap my head around spending so much casholla on a fork..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is a lefty MAX 140 a good candidate or it has to much travel...??

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a max 140 and prefer it to my dlr, only thing is finding the correct spring for rider weight

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is a lefty MAX 140 a good candidate or it has to much travel...??
    Pat, A lot of your questions have been asked and answered before. They are not stupid questions by any means but you should be able to find the answers with a fairly easy search. Meanwhile try here:

FatBack Lefty
    Latitude 61

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    It is worth every penny. Search around and have patience. The longer travel Leftys are best. They yield more travel when done. I had a Ti-Lefty on my Pugs and the reduced travel worked for my riding. Started out at 90mm ended about 70mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Pat, A lot of your questions have been asked and answered before. They are not stupid questions by any means but you should be able to find the answers with a fairly easy search. Meanwhile try here:

FatBack Lefty
    Thank you and sorry for not searching, I was in a hurry, I read that posting before (and a few others) but I never see mention of the prices (not that I can remember at least)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    It is worth every penny. Search around and have patience. The longer travel Leftys are best. They yield more travel when done. I had a Ti-Lefty on my Pugs and the reduced travel worked for my riding. Started out at 90mm ended about 70mm.

Thanks I already contact the seller, will see if it pans out..

mtbr member
    Or, just wait another year or 2 and get a fat-compatible factory fork.

Fatbikes are still at 1.0 level- still mostly cobbled together from existing parts, still crushingly expensive for the specific parts needed (rims, tires, cranks).

But as they gain popularity, they'll gain innovation, better, lighter and cheaper parts.

Spend $1000 today for a cobbled together fork, or wait a year or 2 and get a purpose built fork for $6-700.

OR, wait a year or two and discover that the 29er fatbike actually makes more sense and watch 26" fatties die off, or whatever. Basically, now is not the time to buy a fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post

Fatbikes are still at 1.0 level- still mostly cobbled together from existing parts, still crushingly expensive for the specific parts needed (rims, tires, cranks).

But as they gain popularity, they'll gain innovation, better, lighter and cheaper parts.

Spend $1000 today for a cobbled together fork, or wait a year or 2 and get a purpose built fork for $6-700.

OR, wait a year or two and discover that the 29er fatbike actually makes more sense and watch 26" fatties die off, or whatever. Basically, now is not the time to buy a fork.
    Opss to Late I already purchase the lefty max and wrote to Mendon to get the ball rolling. but your are totally right, even if I was a little more paccient I can wait for the reports from Interbike and see what is coming down the pipe line, oh well I always want to try a lefty..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post

Unless you just have to have it now! I am just a kid in an adults body. I never asked to grow up. When I was young I was poor. Not rich now but I treat myself with gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Unless you just have to have it now! I am just a kid in an adults body. I never asked to grow up. When I was young I was poor. Not rich now but I treat myself with gear.
    Same here, well kind of similar, I grow up in Sur America and getting bicycle parts was a pain in the butt (many years ago, now is easy) but now that I live here and parts are so easy to find and ship I just buy them when I feel like it..

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It's all been answered apparently, but seeing as I finally tracked down some wifi in this desert hole, a few thoughts.

@ buckfiddious, think what you like, my feelings won't be hurt, but these forks are anything but cobbled together.

Fully stock, totally normal set up, with machining done by a first rate machine shop. I didn't pop these together with spit and chewing gum....

And just to make sure it's clear, gcappy said a reworked fork. The ones I'm selling (and what he got) are NOS shells, with 2012 dampers, no part of them are used in any way.

And, fwiw, no new Fat forks are forthcoming for this year, been cruising the floor and Dirt Demo, sorry.....

And finally, yes, they aren't free, but buy any other top shelf fork, Rock Shox, Fox, Manitou etc, and they will be in the same vein, price wise, IE: ~$1000. Used forks abound, score one of them, a set of clamps, build a wheel, and you're in for a good chunk less.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    It's all been answered apparently, but seeing as I finally tracked down some wifi in this desert hole, a few thoughts.

@ buckfiddious, think what you like, my feelings won't be hurt, but these forks are anything but cobbled together.

Fully stock, totally normal set up, with machining done by a first rate machine shop. I didn't pop these together with spit and chewing gum....

And just to make sure it's clear, gcappy said a reworked fork. The ones I'm selling (and what he got) are NOS shells, with 2012 dampers, no part of them are used in any way.

And, fwiw, no new Fat forks are forthcoming for this year, been cruising the floor and Dirt Demo, sorry.....

And finally, yes, they aren't free, but buy any other top shelf fork, Rock Shox, Fox, Manitou etc, and they will be in the same vein, price wise, IE: ~$1000. Used forks abound, score one of them, a set of clamps, build a wheel, and you're in for a good chunk less.
    I would like to say that there seems to be a lot of desire out there for the best components we can get, especially for our Fatties. But when it comes to paying for the technology and advances that some are able to provide we balk at the price. The first available any thing is always more expensive. It is the technology and the time involved that you are paying for. I'm sure that down the road, yes things will be mass produced and thereby become less expensive but for now in the relative fatty childhood if you wanna play you gotta pay.
    Yes you can find an old lefty and perform your own experiment, maybe to your own peril on your first ride but I am not as adept at fork building as I know Mr Smith to be both by reputation and now by riding one of his creations. This is as we all know an expensive hobby. Lets enjoy it to whatever extent our own check books will allow.
    The advances will come and someone will mass produce a suspension fork. And as soon as I can get my hands on a full suspension 120 mm tire fatty that weighs 27 pounds I will sell my car and buy it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would like to say that there seems to be a lot of desire out there for the best components we can get, especially for our Fatties. But when it comes to paying for the technology and advances that some are able to provide we balk at the price. The first available any thing is always more expensive. It is the technology and the time involved that you are paying for. I'm sure that down the road, yes things will be mass produced and thereby become less expensive but for now in the relative fatty childhood if you wanna play you gotta pay.
    Yes you can find an old lefty and perform your own experiment, maybe to your own peril on your first ride but I am not as adept at fork building as I know Mr Smith to be both by reputation and now by riding one of his creations. This is as we all know an expensive hobby. Lets enjoy it to whatever extent our own check books will allow.
    The advances will come and someone will mass produce a suspension fork. And as soon as I can get my hands on a full suspension 120 mm tire fatty that weighs 27 pounds I will sell my car and buy it.
    I have a technical question for you since will have the exact same frame, did you need to "Shave" you headtube to fit the 188mm (max height) clamps of the lefty..?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast