Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nemophilist

Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!

Coming soon to a trail near me. Ride report to follow.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    That is badass! Good craftsmanship, I love the seatstay to dropout transition. Frame design is cool and paint looks great. Rock on.

turtles make me hot
    What beautiful work.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    AWESOME!! I love the blue, and I love the lines of the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The whole thing is RUINED by that spoke protector.

TAKE IT OFF!

Otherwise - beautiful!

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    The whole thing is RUINED by that spoke protector.

TAKE IT OFF!
    Yeh?...

I used to think that too, until I lost about half a dozen drive side spokes 5 miles from the trail head. That was a long firggin walk.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Man, I wish I had the tools and skills to do that. The seatstays and transition to the dropouts are beautiful. Very well done Trailmaker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Excellent craftmanship and a beautiful paint job. If my builds turned out that nice, I'd have a hard time riding them. I hope that first scratch doesn't hurt too much. Great job.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike with a difference. Like Riverbend I'd be scared to scratch it too
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    Thats an absolute gem Trailmaker ! A work of art indeed.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I concur with the other gents here in that it's a stellar build.

Do let me know how the brakes get along as i have the same except with magura storm sl rotors and i'm having the turkey warble screech both F&R.

mtbr member
    A true craftsman! Thanks for sharing.

Dudette
    So beautiful!! Can't wait to hear how it rides!

mtbr member
    Beautiful work John. Your shop looks cold.

btw: I have spoke protectors on all of my bikes too. I've dropped a chain in between the cassette and spokes more than once. I now use Mavic spoke guards which are smaller but keep the chain from falling in there. Since everyone pulls them off of their wheels when buying at the shop, I get as many of them as I want for free.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sweet!
    That's a lot of curves. Barely a straight run of tubing anywhere on that thing. Only the headtube stands in the way of the all-curvy frame.

As for spoke guards, someone needs to make a small-diameter carbon one so they're not so "fred".

mtbr member
    I don't mean to detract from the OP, but I would like to note that the Mavic spoke guard IS small. It's plastic though, but I can't imagine there would be any significant weight savings if it were carbon.

I hear a lot of people say that they don't need spoke guards because their derailleur is adjusted correctly, but it only takes one smack on a rock or log for that to no longer hold true.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!-dsc06177.jpg  

Vagician

Nemophilist
    OK, JoeG;

Just for you, I fixed it. I never really thought about it that much, to be honest. I just knew I "needed" one there. One of those little compromises you have to make sometimes. I looked at it a bit, and realized it is only the tight area right at the base of the spokes that is vulnerable. The portion outside the diameter of the cassette was redundant, so I trimmed it off.

NVPhatty - Brake howl indeed. On my other Fatty (Trailmaker #1 - the Humvee) I get the howl from the front brakes only. I am convinced it is the fork that is to blame. Heavy braking is fine, but light braking sets up a strong resonance. Sometime I will get around to filling a fork leg with expanding foam and see if that cures it. Beyond that, it is down to playing the rotor game to see if there is a design that doesn't cause the problem. I have these brakes on all my suspension bikes and they don't do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Awesome work, it's nice to see an original fat bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    OK, JoeG;

Brake howl indeed. On my other Fatty (Trailmaker #1 - the Humvee) I get the howl from the front brakes only. I am convinced it is the fork that is to blame. Heavy braking is fine, but light braking sets up a strong resonance. Sometime I will get around to filling a fork leg with expanding foam and see if that cures it. Beyond that, it is down to playing the rotor game to see if there is a design that doesn't cause the problem. I have these brakes on all my suspension bikes and they don't do it.
    Just FYI, filling the fork with expandable foam likely won't fix it. Adding damping material to the fork can help, but that's not very practical due to weight and limited access. Assuming your brakes are set up properly and rotors are straight, I've found the easiest way to get rid of noise is to swap to a different brand of brakes.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    OK,
    NVPhatty - Brake howl indeed. On my other Fatty (Trailmaker #1 - the Humvee) I get the howl from the front brakes only. I am convinced it is the fork that is to blame. Heavy braking is fine, but light braking sets up a strong resonance. Sometime I will get around to filling a fork leg with expanding foam and see if that cures it. Beyond that, it is down to playing the rotor game to see if there is a design that doesn't cause the problem. I have these brakes on all my suspension bikes and they don't do it.
    ahhhh ha you touch on an aspect i've given thought to as well. During my rides i pay more and more attention when possible to fork (WB snowpac) deflection and frankly it's serious. That said my rear setup does the same with minimal or no deflection when applied. Is pad/rotor compatibility a viable issue or should any combo function properly?? I've been through 2 semi metallic pad sets F&R with more diligent break-in with the 2nd set but with no success. I've considered organics with new rotors as an option but to think of the cost to experiment is mind numbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewQ View Post
    Assuming your brakes are set up properly and rotors are straight, I've found the easiest way to get rid of noise is to swap to a different brand of brakes.
    Certainly an option but in all honesty can one purchase such a product and have a reasonable expectation they will function properly without resorting to 'buying another setup' or two??

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I have run nothing but Hayes brakes for many years. All brakes make a fuss at one time or another, but I have always been able to remedy them with basic reset of the system (scuff, clean, align, re-bed). I have not had this problem previously. The only operative difference here is the fork, hence my assumption that it is the culprit. The fact that you can also feel the vibration, hear the "moan", and see the fork resonating lends more support to the theory. I can very easily fill the left leg with expanding foam, given all the bottle bosses available. It doesn't weigh enough to worry about.

We'll see. If this new ride does the same thing, it will more or less prove my theory.

NMBP
    Beautiful bike TrailMaker, I guess you now have time to start on mine.

I have an 8" rotor on my FS bike. The first one that I put on made so much noise I found myself not using the front brake. I talked to the manufacturer at Interbike and he told me that no matter what he has tried, from grinding to heating to hammering, some discs howl. He told me to send it back and he would send me a replacement. The replacement has been noise free for 6+ years.
    Last edited by crashtestdummy; 02-02-2013 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!

Absolutely gorgeous!

mtbr member
    I'm impressed - great work!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast