Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Hopefully this means they will award you a prize of a nice shiny replacement.
    Hey;

I'm finding out that Salsa is a great company to deal with. Really impressive CS, and some great folks.
    Thumbs Up to Salsa!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Salsa CS

Good to see there is a happy ending here. Salsa has always treated me right, glad they took care of you too! Stuff is gonna break, it's how companies handle the issues that counts.

BEAUTIFUL bike BTW.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

I'm finding out that Salsa is a great company to deal with. Really impressive CS, and some great folks.
    Thumbs Up to Salsa!

Icebiker
    X 11 It's been said by many others already, but I just have to add my voice...your work is BEAUTIFUL! Kudos to you for finding a way through the subsequent carnage....and once you've got the kinks worked out, perhaps you'd want to do a small run of these frames for those of us insufficiently skilled at frame building ?

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I placed no direct nor indirect pressure on Salsa to help me with this problem. I merely asked for information I needed to clear up the picture so that I could get the right bits to fix it. Shite happens, and it wasn't their fault in any way. Regardless of that fact, they did far more than offer me simple information, as far as I'm concerned. A very simple gesture on their part makes me feel like they care. That is worth far more than money to me, and that is saying something because I have so little of it. They rate in my book!

Build more? Interesting on the face of it, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be in reality. Who knows? bags of money talk loudly to me!! Curiously, I tried morphing the design down to medium size, and it will take a MAJOR rework to make it look right, if ever as good.

Thanks to all for your kind words. Makes a bloke with a pretty bike feel even better!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Just a BTW, my Fatback (Asian, not the Hadley ones) hubs use a large diameter QR in the rear (and front), I don't have it right in front of me but it is either 10mm or 12mm, definitely adds some strength to the hub assembly.

ed; the frame looks fantastic, great job!!

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Thanks!

The main portion of this axle is .670/17mm D x .093/2.36mm wall, but the business end where the freehub rides (the end that failed at the threads for the "draw cap") is "only" .590/15mm x .061/1.5mm wall, and then that end is threaded to boot. While they have not had any other failures, and the whole cartridge bearing system is elegantly simple (the freehub rides on the axle, and is not attached to the main hub), it seems potentially marginal to have the drive side be the thin one!

In any event, I've got my replacement axle (Salsa is GREAT!), so it's time to get off this computer and go build and ride!

Nemophilist
    Hey;

All repaired an back out where it belongs.

-

mtbr member
    Nice work! Now don't break it this time JK.......enjoy many years on it! Love the look!

mtbr member
    Hey;

All repaired an back out where it belongs.
    hey!! stop sticking your tongue out at us cuz your playing in the snow.

Nemophilist
    Funny...

Those silly subconscious habits we don't even know about...

-

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That is one absolutely gorgeous ride! The good lookin' ones always have more curves than the rest. And she has them in all the right places

mtbr member
    always loved the classic cruiser lines. very sweet.

Muru Cycles

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Had the Kroozer at the LBS today, just to give the boys a look-see. Threw it up on the scale. 39.5lbs. Considering the gargantuan 47" WB, straight wall .035 steel tubing, heavy 27TPI Nates, and full Surly tubes, I think that is pretty flippin reasonable!

mtbr member
    Hey;

Build more? Interesting on the face of it, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be in reality. Who knows? bags of money talk loudly to me!! Curiously, I tried morphing the design down to medium size, and it will take a MAJOR rework to make it look right, if ever as good.
    PM me if you ever get serious about building a medium.... Oh and your defination of bags of money..

awesome build my friend!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Absolutely beautiful. Great lines.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    PM me if you ever get serious about building a medium.... awesome build my friend!
    Hey;

So far, the most compelling reason I can think of to build a medium is for a loaner so I can hook more of my riding friends on Fatness. Only 1 or 2 people around here can even get on my bikes! People have a really hard time understanding the benefits - and the fun - until they can experience them for themselves. Remember?

As a follow up, the bike has been performing very well since this initial debacle, but not perfectly. For whatever reason, very occasionally it will still chain suck, where the Humvee never has. Not even once. Other than that it has been great fun

mtbr member

Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!

Well I admire your craftsmanship! I'm just starting to look as I was fortunate enough to be able to ride a pugsley last week and well... I want a fat bike bad!
    Don't know anyone with the skills so figured it was worth throwing out there!
    Keep on riding!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For whatever reason, very occasionally it will still chain suck, where the Humvee never has. Not even once. Other than that it has been great fun
    Take a look at this article on chain suck. It's very enlightening.
    J LEVY | BikeTechArticles | Chain-Suck : Its causes and mechanisms, How to avoid, prevent, and remedy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3