Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Certainly an option but in all honesty can one purchase such a product and have a reasonable expectation they will function properly without resorting to 'buying another setup' or two??
    Agreed that you shouldn't have to buy new ones, but the reality is some brakes are very prone to making noise. Some only make noise with certain frames/forks. Brake noise is actually a fairly complicated phenomenon to diagnose & resolve. The fact that bike brakes place on emphasis on light weight only compounds the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I've been through 2 semi metallic pad sets F&R with more diligent break-in with the 2nd set but with no success. I've considered organics with new rotors as an option but to think of the cost to experiment is mind numbing.
    This was my point. When you look at how much you can spend to attempt to fix the noise by throwing parts at the problem, sometimes you come out ahead by buying a different set of brakes that are known to be quiet. Best of luck, whatever route you choose.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    That is gorgeous. I wanted to do that exact color combo on my pugs wheels.

I think it would be even cooler with Black Floyds.

Cheers!
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

mtbr member
    Awesome build! Di Vinci Fatness
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Nemophilist

The Christening............ from HE!!

Hey;

The bike rides great, what little I was able to ride it. I was a little surprised that the self steer that was not evident at all even on pavement became noticeable on the trail at speed. Still, it is nothing that cannot be dealt with, and I suppose is somewhat endemic of the large tires. All was well with the world!

I've spent 7 blissful years riding bikes WITHOUT flimsy replaceable derailleur hangers. My Heckler, RIP9, and Humvee have solid mount DOs, the first two of the three replaceable, and I've grown to love them. In that time, I've only had ONE problem with a derailleur; I somehow rode over and flipped a 6" piece of stick into the jockey wheels and sheared the mount bolt clean off on my RIP9 on it's 4th ride. I got a junk derailleur from the LBS, scarfed the pivot bolt for a repair, and ride that same derailleur today. That one headache has been more than made up for by the utter LACK of constant shifting problems I've had on bikes with replaceable hangers that bend every time you look at them funny.

One of the things I was very ambivalent about was using these Paragon low mount DOs, ONLY for the fact that they use alloy RD hangers. It took exactly ONE RIDE to make me HATE that decision. They are beautiful DOs, but... He!!, it was my fault. I've gotten spoiled by the durability of having a solid mount. It wasn't 2 miles into this maiden voyage when a branch went into the chain and SNAP. Just like glass. Didn't even have time to stop. POS! I still don't believe what happened next.

So, I did what any hard-nosed survivalist MTBer would do. I picked a gear, shortened the (brand new!) chain, and rode single speed. I don't have the FD hooked up yet due to a lack of cable housing. I reasoned I didn't want to go too big for the climbs, but I was sort of dissing my gear choice, as Granny 3 was a little short for cruising the flats. Never in a million years would it have occurred to me that what was about to happen would happen. It just seems so improbable.

Every time I've done one of these bodges for friends that have trashed their derailleurs, they usually end up either skipping horribly under power due to lack of chain wrap, or shifting their way down the cassette because there is nothing to keep gravity from letting the chain do just that. I actually had to take the wheel out a bit to get the chain on, and when it was all installed, I had less than 1" of chain deflection, likely closer to .5" It looked like a great setup, and worked just fine for about a mile along the river bottom.

Eventually you have to climb, and as I laid in the first few power strokes and hit the meat of the climb, the chain incongruously shifted from 3rd to 2nd. Something had to give, and it sure as F did.....

Never in a million years would I have guessed that this was probable, or "even possible." I still don't believe it. Guess that's what I get for building something so pretty.....................
    Last edited by TrailMaker; 02-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    oh my sac this just blows!!

mighty sailin' man
    gawd that's awful

just awful
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Nemophilist
    ssssssssssssssssssssssss.......................... .....

Anybody got a extra 170mm axle lying around?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Wow! I was just about to comment on how awesome the bike is when I got to the end I see the horror. What a buzz kill for a first ride. Is the frame bent? What kind of hub is that?

The bike is awesome, even more amazing is that it is only your second build. I followed it over in the frame forum.

You have inspired me. I am going to work on my time management skills. I have had tubing since June of 2010 and have not done much more than a couple of drawings. Thank you.

Looking forward to the second ride report.

Cheers,
    Steven
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    ssssssssssssssssssssssss.......................... .....

Anybody got a extra 170mm axle lying around?

Nemophilist
    Thanks Steven;

Don't take any inspiration from this ride of mine, that's for sure! As for frame builds, get going already, before your tubing desiccates. Just get going. There are enough helpful guys on the forum to get you through. I will need to pay it forward for all of the help that my mentor gave me, so I'm ready with whatever I can offer. Yes, it is only my second build, but I've been fabricating all kinds of stuff for years. Only the bike specific stuff was foreign to me.

I'm not sure I even remember what kind of hub it was, but in thinking back I believe the rear one is a Salsa, which I think means Formula. The front one had no name on it, but it is a generic 135mm MTB rear hub so it could be anything. The DO is definitely bent, but that can be straightened, hopefully without too much damage to the finish. I think that is the extent of the frame damage. If I'm lucky, all I'll need is a new axle for the rear. I can straighten the skewer. I hope the freehub and beyond is not affected.

Buzzkill...... indeed. A very apt description!

Dudette

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Dude.

You know that vein that can pop out in one's forehead? When you're really angry?

My hands got sweaty just looking at that damage photo.

FFFFFFFU--

...so loud that the neighbor's dog gets scared.

I'm really sorry man.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    holeeeee....
    did the broken axle beget the frame tweak or vice versa?!

easily the most distressing "first ride" shots I've ever seen.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I think it simply shifted to 2nd gear. Since the chain is too short for that pair, something had to give. The axle collapsed, taking the DO with it. Maybe I have more leg power than I thought....

Why couldn't the f'n chain just snap?

mtbr member
    Sorry to see that. It must really burn to see a beautiful bike mangled like that.

But you've just answered one of my reservations about the larger OLDs appearing on fat bikes. I've nothing against the width, but why are we using axles of the same diameter that were in use in the 1900s on bikes with OLDs of 110 and 120mm and skinny tyres? They were never jumped and didn't have to deal with the sort of forces input from a fat tyre.

I'd like to see a minimum of 14mm (like BMX) at the rear, or something like the sizes and types used on a DH bike.

It would probably be a bit too adventurous for the fatbike industry to come up with its own standard, but considering that soon we'll be seeing fat AM and possibly DH bikes, it may be time for it.

Hope to see this bike back on its wheels soon - don't be deterred.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeh?...

I used to think that too, until I lost about half a dozen drive side spokes 5 miles from the trail head. That was a long firggin walk.
    +1 to this

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    +1 to this
    Yeh;

I should have mentioned, it was even longer in cleats!

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Here's a shout out to Velo and his previous post. This thing just looks tremendously fragile. Granted, it may not have been designed for the type of extreme forces it saw in this fluky incident, but it just seems impossibly frail nonetheless. I'm seriously thinking I'm liking the look of the steel axle option for a replacement!

Frame straightened. My dummy fixturing axle slips right in clean as a whistle. Very minimal loss of paint. Had some single stage paint on the shelf that was a dead ringer. A Porsche color, no less! A couple of well placed dabs did me just fine. Now, the old game begins - waiting for parts......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!-kroozerbuggeredaxle1.jpg  

Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!-kroozerbuggeredaxle2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow! That is really shocking damage.

I'm glad that it sounds like you were able to bend the dropouts back pretty easily. I hope that you're back to riding it real soon.

And I'm relieved that the damage wasn't caused by a chain thrown to the inside!

mtbr member
    Hey;

Here's a shout out to Velo and his previous post. This thing just looks tremendously fragile. Granted, it may not have been designed for the type of extreme forces it saw in this fluky incident, but it just seems impossibly frail nonetheless. I'm seriously thinking I'm liking the look of the steel axle option for a replacement!...
    Thanks for the pic. I'm pleased the frame straightened ok.

I've been pondering your axle failure - I can't think of any alternative with a larger diameter axle. Does anyone know of one?

Edit: I hadn't previously looked closely at the Hope Fatsno hubs - they can use a 12mm Maxle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet Trailmaker #2 - The Kroozer!-hopefatsnopair-productpicture.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Velobike; 02-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well that sucks big time.

So sorry for your loss. I'm guessing the dork disc wouldn't have had much impact on that issue!

So what's next? Patching up or starting over? Beautiful thing about steel, especially with skills as fine as yours, pretty infinitely repairable.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sorry to see the damage. I'm glad you are able to rebuild the bike again though. All this talk of derailleurs being ripped off and bikes being damaged as a result makes me happy I have an IGH fatty and an IGH MTB for exploring without fear of ripping stuff of.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Sorry to see the damage. I'm glad you are able to rebuild the bike again though. All this talk of derailleurs being ripped off and bikes being damaged as a result makes me happy I have an IGH fatty and an IGH MTB for exploring without fear of ripping stuff of.
    I hear ya, Bro;

It's a heck of a lot of coin (out of my budget!), but it does have its advantages!

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I have always suspected it, but I've found out for certain that I am extra special and talented. I am the first person that Salsa is aware of to trash one of their aluminum 170mm axles. Lucky me!

mtbr member
    Hey;

I have always suspected it, but I've found out for certain that I am extra special and talented. I am the first person that Salsa is aware of to trash one of their aluminum 170mm axles. Lucky me!
    Hopefully this means they will award you a prize of a nice shiny replacement.

A Surly Maverick
    First......BRILLIANT FRAME !

Second......sorry to see the axle failure

Third......WELL DONE for fixing it
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast