mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Maxxis Studded Tires

Maxxis looks to have a nice offering for fat studded!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/03/07...-winter-tires/

is buachail foighneach me
    Awesome! The Moosetrak looks perfect. Hopefully it's on the same casing as their other 4.8" tires. Glad I stuck with Grip Studded Buds instead of forking out for D5s.

The Dog.
    Really happy to see a move towards aggressive studded tires. I am not sure how the industry landed on the fallacies that you don't need studs if you need aggressive tread for singletrack and loose conditions, and that you don't need aggressive tread if you need studs for ice.

Having the Terrene Wazia's has been wonderful this winter, as I no longer worry what conditions I will encounter on a given ride. I don't like how the front washes out in loose snow, so I will be happy to see more options like the Maxxis and vaporware Wrathchild come to market. I hope the Maxxis is sold without studs, so I can use the Terrene studs, which are clearly superior to any other design. Those mofo's are SHARP.

mtbr member
    Maxxis is making a major change to the moosetrak. Test riders wanted a stud that was longer so they'll be changing the length of the stud. The stud will rise higher above the knob for the final production tire. In addition to the Moosetrak, they plan on designing another fat tire but are not sure whether or not is will be a 4, 4.6 or 4.8in width. Maxxis is still not sure whether or not they will offer the Moosetrak unstudded. Watch for the FatCamp podcast at Fat-Bike.com that will have all the details on Maxxis' Moosetrak. FatCamp was at the Maxxis Tire Summit and got the scoop from the engineers on all the nitty gritty of the Moosetrak and had direct input on the additional future fat tire.