mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls

I've been running Maxxis Minion 4.8s tubeless for about a year on both my and my wife's bikes.
    We live in Florida, so the tires are still in great shape.

The bikes sat in the garage for a couple of weeks, and when I got the bikes out last weekend to go on a ride, I noticed that the Stan's is weeping through the cords in the sidewalls. I have never seen this happen before. I cleaned the tires up to remove the weepage.
    The tires still seemed to be holding air, so I went out on an all day ride at Alafia River State Park, and the tires worked fine.

Here are some pictures after riding for a couple of hours. You can see the dust sticking to the weepage.

Anyone else have this issue?
    There's no weepage on the tread surface. It's only on the cords of the sidewalls.

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls-38122412644_2527656655_b.jpg

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls-23973009137_1b40e25ea7_b.jpg

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls-37951508245_18b7640d16_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That is normal

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    That is normal with Stans sealant

Fixed/clarified.

Try Orange Seal Endurance formula sealant and this problem goes away. Slower evaporation rate, better sealing, less weeping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fixed/clarified.

Try Orange Seal Endurance formula sealant and this problem goes away. Slower evaporation rate, better sealing, less weeping.
    Hahaha!
    Thanks for the Clarification.
    I gave up on Orange Seal after the early batches would turn to orange spider webs.....and the Zero version froze at 10F and I had to listen to frozen chunks rattle in my wheels ( on a day when I had the worst hangover ever)
    Maybe I will try this version....
    OH...And you think Stan's makes boogers????
    Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls-snotl.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Long View Post

Anyone else have this issue?
    There's no weepage on the tread surface. It's only on the cords of the sidewalls.
    Yes, it's the latest formulation of Stans.
    When these photos were taken I had something like 6 tires by 4 brands with various miles all weeping while sitting in basement. Changed brands and all better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485009315.467761.jpg  

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR leaking sealant through sidewalls-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485009300.284814.jpg  

WNC Native
    Yep heard of a couple shops that have completely quit using Stans sealant now. Think one of our Mod's shop was one of those.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

MTB B'dos
    No experience with these actual Maxxis tyres, but I'm a Maxxis fanboi and I've not seen anything like this since before the introduced their TR casings, used to see it a lot when running regular tyres tubeless -to me it looks like you've scuffed the crap out of the sidewalls and exposed the threads/inner casing that's under the protective "rubber". If you're really concerned, send Maxxis some pics and ask them what they think.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Stop using Stans, it'll go away.

I also switched due to unstoppable weeping, and super high consumption rate, as well as crappy sealing ability and constant air loss despite having plenty of fluid in the tire.

Stans will tell you their formula is unchanged, I, and many many others in the last year or two would beg to differ.

Orange Seal works as Stans used to.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I use Stans in all my tires and some tires weep and others don't. Heck my front minion hasn't weeped a drop and my rear is weeping everywhere. My Van Helgas haven't leaked a drop either. I used the same bottle on all my tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Interesting testimonials from you all.
    For the heck of it, I'll pick up some Orange Seal and see how it works.
    For the record, my wife's front Minion is virtually brand new and it's weeping as well, with Stans.
    Last edited by Mr. Long; 12-06-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have a set of the nonTubeless FBF 4.8's that I studded and use for winter. I bought them used and they had significant sealant residue and glitter inside. Put them on last fall with stans and they started weeping and foaming (the foam was orange so I assume previous owner used orange seal). Took them off for the summer and just put them on again last night. Switched to orange seal subzero this time. After sitting overnight I have ever so slight weeping in a few spots. We'll see how it turns out.