120tpi.

Dual compound rubber.

EXO and TR casing.

Direct competition for Bud and Lou?

Looks like it from where I stand.

Discuss.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

mtbr member
    are those in your hands? and available, mike? if thats 4.8" truly, those knobs are massive! so, weighty? im guessing being maxxis 4.8" probs is around 4.5"....if the grip follows the 29" versions, it will be a superb non-snow tyre. i have no idea about in snow, but i know i want them!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Since it seems like most 4.8" tires turn out to be a 4.5" max I think I'm just going to get the big Knards or 2x Buds. Would love it if someone would just come out with an *actual* faster rolling but nice (e.g. 45 NRTH) 4.8" or 5" tire for once.
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

move on up...
    When can I buy a pair?

beer thief
    Good looking tread pattern. Nice snow tire

mtbr member
    FWIW, These were announced in March Maxxis' New Rubber - Taipei Show 2015 - Pinkbike and this is the only time since then I've seen any mention since then.

Give us the fat tires you heathens.
    I bike with tires.

This place needs an enema
    Yep, in my hands for eval.

I have them mounted tubeless on a set of Nextie 90's. Haven't taken any measurements yet--will ride 'em for awhile first.

Gut reaction just looking at them is that they will be better on hardpack and rock than snow. I don't often ride my fatbike on those surfaces, and snow is months away yet.

Meanwhile, going to go mud bogging and root slogging in search of trout and some alpine scenery today/tonight/tomorrow.

P.S. S_T_B, I think you fell off your meds...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Am I the only one who looks at 45Nrth tires and immediately thinks, Maxxis made those?

Or is this well known fact and I'm just behind the ball?

Mike, yep, good Bud and Lou competition for sure. Now bring out 29+ of the same level, and we're getting somewhere (not that the recently released DW's don't kick a** already though...)
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I thought innova made the QBP tyres? Maxxis is cst right?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    I thought innova made the QBP tyres? Maxxis is cst right?
    Surly's, for sure.

45Nrth's tires have a different "look" and feel to them. Block shape, siping patterns, rubber appearance, all subtly point to a different maker, at least to me. Might be well know fact, I've just never heard....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    imho it looks like Bud might be a better front tire in the snow, and Lou is just fine as a rear tire. Although I have not done ANY mud riding this summer, I see no other reason to use Bud/Knard as a summer hardpack team. If I had the cash, I would probably use a Dillinger in place of Bud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    . Although I have not done ANY mud riding this summer, I see no other reason to use Bud/Knard as a summer hardpack team.
    Maybe it's too early for me and I'm being thick, but I can't make sense of this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Surly's, for sure.

45Nrth's tires have a different "look" and feel to them. Block shape, siping patterns, rubber appearance, all subtly point to a different maker, at least to me. Might be well know fact, I've just never heard....
    thats true....the flowbeist is a strange texture...on the sidewall at least....and i was interested in *some* similarities in the maxxis 27.5 b+ rekon and the flowbeist.... you could defo be onto something Mendon!

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-29/maxxi...on-986838.html

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about this. On tires this big, with this much tread and so many knobs making contact, is it really even necessary to have a rear specific tread anymore? The cross tread "paddle" block pattern on the Lou and Minion FBR are pretty severe (reminds me of the old smokes). Realistically, most of the time I lose any traction while climbing, its the rear end slipping sideways off camber. That's where the more liner tread of the Bud and FBF would keep one on line. How much more propulsion traction do we really need? And since more braking force is usually applied to the front anyway (and we've all run front specific tires), it can't be any huge benefit for braking forces on the back end. I love the grip of the Lou, but I bet a Bud does just as well out back, and more than likely faster and better overall. No Minion FBR's for me please.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Maybe it's too early for me and I'm being thick, but I can't make sense of this.
    Mikesee said he thought they would make a great summer/mud bogging tires, but maybe not that great of winter tires. I was just stating that I have yet to test the knard/bud out in mud, but other than that they are perfect summer tires for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lookin' like the big VanHelga (FBF, at least) that I've been waiting for. Dual Compound is a big plus (depending on what compounds they actually are). Would love some more info and sizing (flat bead2bead width) next chance you get, Mikesee!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    ...Gut reaction just looking at them is that they will be better on hardpack and rock than snow...
    Perhaps those knobs are not as tall as the photos seem to show? From the pics I would guess they're maybe 3/16" tall, not what I'd want for riding on rock but great traction in some snow conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Am I the only one who looks at 45Nrth tires and immediately thinks, Maxxis made those?

Or is this well known fact and I'm just behind the ball?

Mike, yep, good Bud and Lou competition for sure. Now bring out 29+ of the same level, and we're getting somewhere (not that the recently released DW's don't kick a** already though...)
    I agree, they do look a lot like an Ardent/Minion. I do love my Beists but if these tires have a larger volume they will be up for sale. The minion is by far my favorite tire ever and if I can have a set on all my bikes I will.

-Nolan

Elitest thrill junkie
    Minions are my favorite tire, although I use them for DH-only duties, they excel at it like nothing else IME. I keep going back year after year without disappointment. On any rim I've ever pumped up Ardents on, it always seemed to leave a big gaping space between side knobs and center knobs, leaving little traction for cornering. Not so with my minions.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I've been thinking about this. On tires this big, with this much tread and so many knobs making contact, is it really even necessary to have a rear specific tread anymore? The cross tread "paddle" block pattern on the Lou and Minion FBR are pretty severe (reminds me of the old smokes). Realistically, most of the time I lose any traction while climbing, its the rear end slipping sideways off camber. That's where the more liner tread of the Bud and FBF would keep one on line. How much more propulsion traction do we really need? And since more braking force is usually applied to the front anyway (and we've all run front specific tires), it can't be any huge benefit for braking forces on the back end. I love the grip of the Lou, but I bet a Bud does just as well out back, and more than likely faster and better overall. No Minion FBR's for me please.
    Interesting thoughts. You've made me completely rethink my fat rear snow tire strategy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    Lookin' like the big VanHelga (FBF, at least) that I've been waiting for. Dual Compound is a big plus (depending on what compounds they actually are). Would love some more info and sizing (flat bead2bead width) next chance you get, Mikesee!
    I had a pair of prototypes for a bit so not sure how production tires will end up but... they are almost identical in size (B-to-B, mounted casing width and mounted knob-to-knob) to the Bud/Lou. Tread is similar in depth too at ~8mm. Weights were 1590g (front) and 1570g (rear).

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    are those in your hands? and available, mike? if thats 4.8" truly, those knobs are massive! so, weighty? im guessing being maxxis 4.8" probs is around 4.5"....if the grip follows the 29" versions, it will be a superb non-snow tyre. i have no idea about in snow, but i know i want them!
    Spent the weekend riding these mounted tubeless on Nextie 90's.

The spouse was right there with me, riding Bud/Lou tubeless on Jackalope rims.

When the weekend was done and I had both bikes in the shop, I inflated all 4 tires up to 10 psi (as measured on a Meiser low-psi gauge) and then measured the casing width with a caliper. Bud was identical to FBF, Lou was identical (we're talking to the millimeter) to FBR.

Thus, because the rims differ by ~10mm, the Surly's are bigger.

As far as ride impressions, we were in stupid amounts of sticky, cloggy mud, and they were either packed up and stuck, or rolling freely. No way to pick a winner in such on/off conditions.
    Last edited by mikesee; 09-18-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: had it backwards

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, Mike. That's a great start to figuring out just how big these bad boys are :-)

mtbr member

Thus, because the rims differ by ~10mm, the Maxxis tires are bigger.
    that is interesting! given how maxxis commonly mesure their 29"ers id guessed they might come up a bit smaller....nice! but it also makes it more explicable that they are intending to do these (afaik at least) in a 4" version as well. nice. looking forward to your continued impressions....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    anyone know when these will be available to buy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    anyone know when these will be available to buy?
    Today

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Weigh and measure them when they arrive!

mtbr member
    Vaporware apparently. Stock appeared at AEbike, and I ordered one of each. Order confirmation, and later a cancellation notification, with expected stock in February. I was about to applaud Maxxis for actually producing product in time for the winter season, but nope!

Typical fatbike timetable. Mid winter arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Vaporware apparently. Stock appeared at AEbike, and I ordered one of each. Order confirmation, and later a cancellation notification, with expected stock in February. I was about to applaud Maxxis for actually producing product in time for the winter season, but nope!

Typical fatbike timetable. Mid winter arrival.
    No--they shipped out of QBP yesterday. Still a few of the fronts left at Q today.

True that the next batch is due in Feb, but they were actually available yesterday and are en route to dealers now.

aka bOb
    Any actual weights and measurements?

mtbr member
    Universal Cycle shows that they have them in stock

mtbr member
    The house has them in stock also. $99 + free shipping. Ae bike is now showing a 60 TPI version for $80, instead of the 120 TPI. Perhaps that is the reason for the order mishap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Per Maxxis rep - "FBF/FBR tested extremely well. ...26x4.80 and will also be coming in at a 26x4.00 in the coming months. No self-steer"

This last part is interesting. Will try to get a pair for actual weights and pics

Did I catch a niner+?
    Interested in the 4.0 model of this or even a Colossus in that size. Anyone run these on a Marge Lite on a pugs? I am using a 1x10 setup so I would think I would not need MWOD cranks on a 1x?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got Maxxis Minion FBR actual width, weights and pics posted. Let me know if anyone wants other info

Fat Bike Tires - Post Your Actual Weights for Fatbike and Plus Bike Tires

mtbr member
    Judging from the pics posted by red chiclet Joe, these appear to be around 250mm. This puts them right around the volume of a BFL, slightly larger than Spesh GC or Dilly 5, and a bit smaller than Bud/Lou.

I'm surprised these aren't a hotter topic. Probably the most advanced fat tire to hit the market, in a large size, with sidewall protection, dual tread compound, and tubeless ready. And cheaper than the competition.

aka bOb
    I was looking into em but for the size and weight might might as well stick with the Beistie brothers at least for the coming winter months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I posted volume calculations based on 80mm inner width rim in the other thread - volume / area is 13.08253 sq inc

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joebikesdirect View Post
    Just got Maxxis Minion FBR actual width, weights and pics posted. Let me know if anyone wants other info

Fat Bike Tires - Post Your Actual Weights for Fatbike and Plus Bike Tires
    Let us know when you get a measure on actual diameter and which rim you're using. I'm currently running a modified Lou for clearance and this seems to be just the ticket, as I know and prefer Maxxis tires on my other rigs.

mtbr member
    Just set up FBF tubeless up front. At higher pressure, probably 15 psi or so, but unmeasured, I took some measurements.

On an 80mm rim, the casing width is 111mm(same as Lou on 82mm) and the max knob shoulder width varies from 112mm to 114mm, so we'll call it 113mm average(a few mm short of Bud and Lou). Overall tire height just a shade over 29.5".

Initial impressions based on short ride around the house: *disclaimer* I somehow managed to install this tire backwards. Despite this, I could not discern any non linear steering properties. This tire might make me fall in love with rigid.

My biggest issue with the Chao 4.9 it's replacing, which I thought had very little self steer, is that it would be unpredictable popping of of an angled surface, when at reasonable pressures. For example: Imagine a two track with a raised hump between the two tire tracks. If I want to jump from one track to the other, angling into the hump, the Chao would pull unpredictably as you load and elevate the front, resulting in an sketchy jump. The Minion stays straight on the bike's trajectory, leading to a 100% predictable fight path.

I am also unable to feel any self steer even with my weight over the bars, steering slowly on a smooth dirt road (no gravel). Just linear and predictable steering. I dig it.

I'll probably switch it around sometime, as the ramped knobs don't make sense when run backwards. I'm gonna throw in a trail ride shortly, and will update.

FBR I haven't set up yet, as my winter wheelset needs hub work, but I laid it out out flat and it measured 10" or 254mm.

Got my shipment of FBF, FBR, and Colossus in yesterday.

Avg weights =
    FBF: 1630 to 1670
    FBR: 1600 to 1640
    Col: 1575 to 1585

mtbr member
    Confirmed zero self steer at reasonable dirt pressures, even on pavement. Very predictable in wet grass and heavily leaved and wet trails. Running FBF front only, it was writing checks that the ~3.5" Fat B rear couldn't cash.

Hit the biggest jump lines that I typically ride, and these were very smooth and predictable. Hit lots of angled lips in the urban setting, and the Fat Minions performed well.

Tried the braking traction on wet cement. Did a couple of seated front manuals since the tires wouldn't break free.

Rolling resistance is predictably a bit higher than the minimalist Chao 4.9's. The Fat Minions mute trail charter better, but have less bounce. A minor adjustment, but I actually like a bit of spring in my tires when rigid, to increase ability to preload the bike for pumping and hopping.

All in all, a very positive ride. These tires inspire speed and confidence into corners, and reward your faith if you trust them.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Got my shipment of FBF, FBR, and Colossus in yesterday.
    I can't find much info about the Collossus. Would you say its closer to a 5 inch Dillinger or a Snowshoe XL?

mtbr member
    Anyone considering FBFs front AND rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Anyone considering FBFs front AND rear?
    yes, as long as I can get it to fit the rear of my 170 rear end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Does anybody have any info about FBR actual width with 65mm rim? I am hoping, that i can fit these to my 2015 Beargrease carbon (1x11 setup).
    Maybe i am hoping too much

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have not seen measurements or pictures.
    Comparing them to tires with similar bead-bead measurements, it would appear that they will end up in the 103-105mm range on 65mm rims. Take it with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi.
    Now i have little bit information about these.
    My friend mounted these for me yesterday (tubeless).

FBR width little over 108mm. (knob to knob) with 65mm. Marge lites.

Weight:
    FBF, 120tpi, regular version, 1,57kg.
    FBR, 120tpi, regular version, 1,56kg.

2015 Beargrease carbon rear clearance. 1x11 setup. FBR (or my rim) is not perfectly straight. Tire goes very close to chain (with 42 tooth rear). i may have to shave some knobs a little.

I tried to take pictures for knob to sidewall comparison:
    FBF

FBR

Sorry about crap pictures. This forum apparently does not accept small picture links, which can be clicked larger(or i do not know how). If you want, you can watch better pictures from this link to my post at finnish forum and click them larger with better quality
    Fillarifoorumi Maxxis

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Tyres have gained width since mounting (tubeless).
    I had to "shave" FBR chain side knobs a little (because it is not fully straight and when riding, touched chain).
    Both are now 111mm. wide (knob to knob).
    If needed, i can still "shave" FBR knobs more, because they are wider, than sidewall, but FBR has needed clearance now.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Any feedback as to what the FBF and FBR are like in soft snow? Are they able to cut it or are they really for dry/groomed trails?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast