Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    OMG, do these suckers rail on firm groomer!

At low pressures they maintain a nice sidewall, no floppiness, I was jumping and carving at 3-4psi on newly groomed single track. Maybe I could have been riding the 4" Minions, but there doesn't seem to be any downside to the 4.8 Minions, so why bother!

There's decent float on these guys, even though my rims are only 65mm (sized down for frame fit reasons), when I air down they are at least as good on loose snow as the average 4.5" tire.

They went up tubeless just fine, even though it took a compressor and strap to seat the bead, they have not leaked, and they spin "round".

I have the matching set, 120tpi.
    Sounds like fun !
    Any comparison to Lou and Bud or other tires ?
    Wonder how they ride in 4-8" of fresh snow
    Thanks !

Clydesdale Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Surly View Post
    Sounds like fun !
    Thanks !
    We had about 8" or so if pretty dry powder here in Southern MI last week, and the FBF was no match for it. Any time it encountered unpacked powder it gave up laterally. Many dabs and quite a few spills later, I just walked back to the car. Went down as low as ~3 psi on 80mm Mulefut rims tubeless. No joy. The FBR did ok tho.

Bought a set of Bud/Lou to put on and try out once I get replacement parts from Sun Ringle. The tires weren't the only thing to give up the ghost last week. Had an SRC fat hub die with less than 100 miles on it.
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sounds like fun !
    Thanks !
    Depends on the snow quality.

Asking a tire to handle deep non compacting snow is asking for trouble, even a snowmobile struggles in that stuff.

I think it takes more than a couple rides to judge a tire. Snow quality is so variable , it's really best to compare across a season, so same conditions with buddies on different tires.

Don't expect a tire to do the impossible, there are days when we walk, there are days when we ride, there are days when we should have stayed home.

I would definitely recommend the Minions for riding fast on firm.

Clydesdale Gear
    ^ Indeed. Take my observations with a grain of salt. I'm still learning about snow riding, and it sounds like everyone was struggling with the dump we got.

However, from what I heard from the locals, Bud and Snowshoe XXL were able to punch through. My local Trail's don't see much grooming, so I need something that can pack and roll without a ton of lateral washouts. We'll see how Bud does. If that doesn't work, I'm on to XXL. If that doesn't work, I'm on the couch.
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like fun !
    Thanks !
    All of my riding this year has been in state forest land breaking mine own trails and have had to keep them packed on my own. I have had no issues riding up to 5 inches of fresh snow. As low as 3 psi front / 4 psi rear to get through the fresh snow.

I can't compare Minions to Bud / Lou, but no complaints yet for anything I have encountered. I just don't expect to do much when snow reaches 6 inches or more. Thankfully where I live, we don't get a lot of heavy snow fall, more of the small ones, and cold weather to keep it around for most of the winter.

mtbr member
    Curious, has anybody tried FBR both front and rear on various surfaces? I see the rationale for FBF on the front, but FBR is a bit lighter that FBF and its knobs look little different from other tires generally designed to work on either end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've been riding the Minions FBF & FBR all year and I really love them in everything except fresh or soft groom snow.

They give me the best confidence & control on dirt, rocks, roots, wet or in groom hard pack snow. The same trust all my other Minions have give me for years in DH and AM.

But for winter, giving all the fresh snow we keep getting here and the grooming having a hard time to keep up, FBF would washout too much and the FBR would spin out and give me a hard time getting back straight after drift or in steep climbing.

For that reason, I've switch back to Bud & Lou this winter but would certainly get the Minions back when the snow is gone or in spring when we get most of the time hardpack snow.

Thinking I should build a summer wheelset for the Maxxis now and keep the Bud & Lou on a winter wheelset since I'm running my tires tubeless on Mulefut 80SL. Once their on, they stay on!
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    Curious, has anybody tried FBR both front and rear on various surfaces? I see the rationale for FBF on the front, but FBR is a bit lighter that FBF and its knobs look little different from other tires generally designed to work on either end.
    I have been riding FBF front and rear for a few rides, but only on icy and hard pack surface. They are also spiked with 200-300 best grip spikes. I love the width and diameter of these 27.5x3.8" setup on my Mutz.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Where can I get the FBR 27.5 x 3.8 EXO/TR, 120tpi??

mtbr member
    I bet the 4.0" go perfectly with 65-70mm rims as you describe. I've tried these with 80mm rims. No complaints on performance though I would caution that rim edge protection is minimal since there's less lateral knobbage than other 4.0" tires. The 4.0" Minions are effectively 3.8" for practical purposes. Good tires for what they are.

OMG, do these suckers rail on firm groomer!

At low pressures they maintain a nice sidewall, no floppiness, I was jumping and carving at 3-4psi on newly groomed single track. Maybe I could have been riding the 4" Minions, but there doesn't seem to be any downside to the 4.8 Minions, so why bother!

There's decent float on these guys, even though my rims are only 65mm (sized down for frame fit reasons), when I air down they are at least as good on loose snow as the average 4.5" tire.

They went up tubeless just fine, even though it took a compressor and strap to seat the bead, they have not leaked, and they spin "round".

I have the matching set, 120tpi.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    I bet the 4.0" go perfectly with 65-70mm rims as you describe. I've tried these with 80mm rims. No complaints on performance though I would caution that rim edge protection is minimal since there's less lateral knobbage than other 4.0" tires. The 4.0" Minions are effectively 3.8" for practical purposes. Good tires for what they are.
    Thanks for that info, I was wondering how rim edge protection might be with the FBF 4.0 on my Mulefut rims.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I bought a 4.8 Minion, threw that on the front and it has been great so far. It pretty much took me wherever I pointed it - firm nicely groomed trail, softer shittily groomed trail, mashed potato-like trail. Pumped it up pretty hard for road riding, and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't notice any rolling resistance. Looks badass too.

I am going to let it stretch out for a month or so and see if it'll fit in the rear, and if so, pick up another one. Thought about an FBR in the rear, but the reviews haven't been fantastic. Bumped into a buddy on the trail today who is running an FBR in the rear, with the tread reversed. He said it works better that way.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 4.8 FBR is a fine tire, it gets good traction, but like any fat tire, petformance is pressure dependent.

I got Minions for the the all around performance, which they provide.

The FBF 4.8 is a little slippery at times, but aren't all fat tires at one point or another.

The Minions are killer for riding fast, railing groomer, and getting air.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm wondering this, too. I have both the 4.0" and 4.8" for my 26" fat bike but am looking for a skinnier set for my 27.5" (have 4.5" on now). I found the FBF on Amazon but didn't see the FBR.

This place needs an enema

They don't exist in the US yet.

QBP is showing ETA's of mid-June.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    They don't exist in the US yet.

QBP is showing ETA's of mid-June.
    Okay, but how can I order one from overseas?

Okay, but how can I order one from overseas?

How the hizell would I know?

I prefer the Hodag over the FBF for pretty much everything. Thus I have zero interest in the FBR, because I've never (not in 29", nor fat) liked it even as much as the FBF.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Forgive me if I'm a complete idiot for asking these questions:

1. Is it normal for a company that makes front and rear tires to only make the fronts available but the rears not available for another 6+ months?

2. What is the point of doing this?

3. Would it be weird to have FBF on the front and back?

mtbr member
    1. Maybe production issues with the plant
    2. There is no point. There is no god and nothing matters.
    3. I am thinking about doing just that if it fits.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How the hizell would I know?

I prefer the Hodag over the FBF for pretty much everything. Thus I have zero interest in the FBR, because I've never (not in 29", nor fat) liked it even as much as the FBF.
    I don't, I figured if anyone would know, it'd be you

I just want to build this stupid wheelset and ride it, June is long time from now.

and yeah, you prefer the Hodags...

What can I say, it's irrational perhaps, but I want what I want...

So if there are any europeans who'd like to hook up a guy from 'merica...

What can I say, it's irrational perhaps, but I want what I want...

So if there are any europeans who'd like to hook up a guy from 'merica...

Keee-rist! Would someone from Europe get this man the slower, heavier, more expensive tire he's after?!

WNC Native
    Keee-rist! Would someone from Europe get this man the slower, heavier, more expensive tire he's after?!

Well said!

If you have the 26x4.8 FBR for one wheelset, WHY are you so bent on getting a 27.5 FBR for this set?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

According to the Maxxis website, the FBR is about 200g lighter than the FBF in 27.5x3.8 size. Just saying!

mtbr member
    May 2015

Not sure about the more expensive part. Earlier this week I ordered my FBF for $90 (includes shipping). When I look at the Trek website they have the Hodags for $120. Normally I pay the price listed online for Trek/Bontrager stuff @ my LBS, unless he wants to give me a discount.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Well said!

If you have the 26x4.8 FBR for one wheelset, WHY are you so bent on getting a 27.5 FBR for this set?
    For me it's because I like the tread. I feel more confident to rip around more and not fear losing grip. Probably wouldn't lose grip w/other tires but I'm a skittish rider, so if I know something works & I can get it for another bike, I probably will. Just my thoughts.

The 4.8's are heavy - I can't deny that. But I do have 4.0's & like them. Maybe I'll look at the Hodags if the LBS has them and get a set. Who knows? For me it's fun to get different things for the bike and swap them around to find what I like.

mtbr member
    Rumble, I'm trying to decide between Hodags or FBF for my plus wheels in snow. I only have experience with Hodags on dirt and was not a fan. Is the extra 200g on the MAXXIS worth it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Well said!

I also have a 29+ set.... me likes Minions

It doesn't have to be rational.

mtbr member
    I've had the FBF 4.8 up front for about a week and a half. So far it's been awesome on groomed single track and awesome pumped up rock hard on pavement and slush. Have not had it any fresh snow yet, but that may change Tuesday or Wednesday night. Really hoping it will fit in the rear after I give it a bit to stretch out.

That last sentence though.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

passed out in your garden
    FBF 4.8 & FBR 4.8 (both with tubes) for approx 350kms now, loving them a lot more than the Ground Control 4.6 I had, although they are about the same size, but I had heard that Maxxis tyres are smaller than written.
    Considering I also got them at 40% off Im stoked. On packed snow they are awesome, in loose snow up to about 10cm I find them good, more snow than that and my ability starts lacking . Looking forward to summer to try them in trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-img_20170114_140335207.jpg  

always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Rumble, I'm trying to decide between Hodags or FBF for my plus wheels in snow. I only have experience with Hodags on dirt and was not a fan. Is the extra 200g on the MAXXIS worth it?
    Have not tried hodag yet so I do not know the thread, just read about it and seen the spec. It depends on how you are riding and on what conditions. Hodag have probably weight savings in the side wall. That is a trade off. Do you ride hard downhill in heavy rocky and terrain you will for sure puncture. The rubber compoundis a lot softer on the Maxxis. 2c and 3c is much better than Hodags hard rubber (I think it was 67?) If wet conditions on slick rock, ruts and so on you will feel the hodag slip like a soap in a bath tub compared to hodag.
    In dry conditions both winter and summer I think the hodag will be okay?

Compound, weight, thread and durabilty combined makes the Maxxis the best for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    IQUOTE=bikeny;12874561]Why do people keep linking to that article? Rolling resistance on a 77cm drum covered in diamond plate has little to do with real world riding on trails. lots of tires missing from that list as well.[/QUOTE]

tend to agree with you. My first fatty came with Mammoths as stock. Reading the rolling resistance article I was apprehensive. But the reality has been totally different. At higher pressures the tire pedals easy on road and works well on trail or sand at lower volume. Reading other threads on here about the tire or bikes that have it as stock, it largely comes out rated as a pretty decent 3 season tire that rolls easy
    Last edited by MozFat; 01-24-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Insert quote for context

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just mounted the the fbf 4.0 on my Wednesday. Wow was it tough to mount. It took me a half an hour to remove the nate tire and an hour to install the minion. It's still not seated perfectly. Going to let it sit overnight and hopefully stretch a bit. I'm new to fat bikes and was wondering if this is typical? It was cool outside when I started. I finished inside next to the heater to loosen things up. I dread a flat on the trails. New levers ordered too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ky View Post
    Just mounted the the fbf 4.0 on my Wednesday. Wow was it tough to mount. It took me a half an hour to remove the nate tire and an hour to install the minion. It's still not seated perfectly. Going to let it sit overnight and hopefully stretch a bit. I'm new to fat bikes and was wondering if this is typical? It was cool outside when I started. I finished inside next to the heater to loosen things up. I dread a flat on the trails. New levers ordered too.

Interesting. My 4.8 went on to a Mulefut easily.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Interesting. My 4.8 went on to a Mulefut easily.
    Curious, are your Minions the EXO version? Much like Tim_Ky, I had one hell of a time pulling these suckers off my Mulefeets. In 20 years wrenching bikes, I've never met a tire that required so much effort to remove. Luckily I don't get flats often, not looking forward to that day.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's an EXO.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Does anyone have experience with the FBR/FBF 4.0? Looking at using them for the summer dirt season on my Bucksaw. Using Nates currently and really like the amount of grip they offer, though they could roll a little faster. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the FBR/FBF 4.0? Looking at using them for the summer dirt season on my Bucksaw. Using Nates currently and really like the amount of grip they offer, though they could roll a little faster. Anyone?
    I've got a set on my Fatback, I'm from Michigan and have been riding in NC all week and they're legit. I love them, the size and shape is great on my DT Swiss BR rims.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234