Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 187
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I preferred Bud/Lou to the FBF/FBR on snow. FBF/FBR feel "slipperier", regardless of temperature. Can't say for sure what's causing it, but I suspected the aggressive siping on Bud/Lou made them grip better.
    Thanks Mike! Any comparison to VH's front/rear (that's what I ran last winter)?

  2. #102
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    Thanks Mike! Any comparison to VH's front/rear (that's what I ran last winter)?
    No idea -- I've not used VH's on snow. Too small.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    No idea -- I've not used VH's on snow. Too small.
    We have much different snow here in SE Michigan...

  4. #104
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    We have much different snow here in SE Michigan...
    One man's soft snow is another man's sidewalk.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    562
    I was super impressed that I could mount the big boys up with a floor pump zero issue (mounted them in the wrong direction and did it a second time)

    I'll get to ride them this weekend

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    344
    Just ordered a pair of FBR, but the next day the FBF went on sale as well. Still, they were only $50 each at the time so it was worth it. Nice sale, BTW.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VladConnery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    33
    I had both the minion FBF and a mammoth on my Salsa bucksaw and hated them. Ironically I run the Maxxis Ardent and Ikon on my 2015 specialized camber expert EVO and luv them. On my bucksaw they had way to much rolling resistance and felt like i was in mud and a ton of traction steer. Now I live in Charlotte NC where it rarely snows. It's possible these tires just are not built for the trails here. I switched to Specialized fast traks which have the 2nd best rating for rolling resistance for fat bike tires. They are much faster rolling and grip like a champ. you can go here and check out rolling resistance for all tires Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews
    Camber Expert Carbon EVO Salsa Carbon Bucksaw

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    I had both the minion FBF and a mammoth on my Salsa bucksaw and hated them. Ironically I run the Maxxis Ardent and Ikon on my 2015 specialized camber expert EVO and luv them. On my bucksaw they had way to much rolling resistance and felt like i was in mud and a ton of traction steer. Now I live in Charlotte NC where it rarely snows. It's possible these tires just are not built for the trails here. I switched to Specialized fast traks which have the 2nd best rating for rolling resistance for fat bike tires. They are much faster rolling and grip like a champ. you can go here and check out rolling resistance for all tires Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews
    Why do people keep linking to that article? Rolling resistance on a 77cm drum covered in diamond plate has little to do with real world riding on trails. lots of tires missing from that list as well.

  9. #109
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Why do people keep linking to that article?
    More and more I wonder how many people actually ride *outside*...
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

  10. #110
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Just ordered a pair of FBR, but the next day the FBF went on sale as well. Still, they were only $50 each at the time so it was worth it. Nice sale, BTW.
    Great sale.

    They have Bud's for an extra $10.

    Hmm... FBF or Bud?

    Snow & winter trail riding along Colorado Front Range, so completely variable conditions.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  11. #111
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    FBF or Bud?

    Snow & winter trail riding along Colorado Front Range, so completely variable conditions.
    Bud, 10x out of 10.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Erock503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Just ordered a pair of FBR, but the next day the FBF went on sale as well. Still, they were only $50 each at the time so it was worth it. Nice sale, BTW.
    That is a nice sale, thanks for the heads up!

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Just ordered a pair of FBR, but the next day the FBF went on sale as well. Still, they were only $50 each at the time so it was worth it. Nice sale, BTW.
    Those are not the EXO/TR versions though.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Those are not the EXO/TR versions though.
    Begging your pardon, but they are. These are the ones I received.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  15. #115
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Begging your pardon, but they are. These are the ones I received.

    Wow. Looks like I'm buying an FBR from Borealis!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Begging your pardon, but they are. These are the ones I received.

    Nice. No where on their website does it say EXO/TR on the 4.0s or 4.8s. Thanks

    Also, the pics are wrong. All the FBF pics are the FBR.


    Went to order and its $30 for shipping.
    Last edited by kntr; 10-17-2016 at 07:35 AM.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    92
    I'm looking for replacements for the Jumbo Jims on my Carbon Bucksaw. On dry trails they work great, but wet rocks and roots and forget it.

    My local shop is recommending the 4" Minions, so I would love to hear more about your experience. We have a lot of rock and roots around here. I was also considering the Van Helgas or possibly 4" Ground Controls (I hear they have a "pro" version as well?? True?)




    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    I had both the minion FBF and a mammoth on my Salsa bucksaw and hated them. Ironically I run the Maxxis Ardent and Ikon on my 2015 specialized camber expert EVO and luv them. On my bucksaw they had way to much rolling resistance and felt like i was in mud and a ton of traction steer. Now I live in Charlotte NC where it rarely snows. It's possible these tires just are not built for the trails here. I switched to Specialized fast traks which have the 2nd best rating for rolling resistance for fat bike tires. They are much faster rolling and grip like a champ. you can go here and check out rolling resistance for all tires Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    Got my 4.0 Minions. I'm gonna stick with Van Helgas. The Van Helga is 100g lighter each and they are a little bigger. The Van Helga knobs are also taller. The Van Helga sidewalls are thinner. The Van Helga feels like a AM tire while the Minion feels like a DH tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-14671276_1231380663551768_6090788429654054676_n.jpg  

    Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-14717077_1231380656885102_4914420648276884885_n.jpg  


  19. #119
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Got my 4.0 Minions. I'm gonna stick with Van Helgas. The Van Helga is 100g lighter each and they are a little bigger. The Van Helga knobs are also taller. The Van Helga sidewalls are thinner. The Van Helga feels like a AM tire while the Minion feels like a DH tire.
    Did you get just the FBRs? If you like the Van Helgas, I would have picked up the FBFs instead (which are lighter than the FBRs too).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    198
    For this winter, I'm going to run a 4.8 FBF up front and a VH out back, as I already have one and it worked out well last year...

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Did you get just the FBRs? If you like the Van Helgas, I would have picked up the FBFs instead (which are lighter than the FBRs too).
    I bought both the FBR and FBF. After I saw the height of the knobs, I knew the VH would be better in snow.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    the Minion feels like a DH tire.
    This is why I like my Minion FBF. It sticks great in the corners and has a nice round profile so you can lean the bike over.
    However if anyone has a better option for aggressive AM riding, I'm all ears.
    2017 Motobecane Sturgis NX

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2
    I currently have the FBF and FBR 4.8 combo and only use them for snow. On snowmobile tracks they have a massive amount of rolling resistance for me. I still want a really good snow tire so would the Bud Lou combo be any better? Or are there other tires I should look at that have pretty good deep snow performance with a little better rolling resistance on more packed snow. This is for Colorado snow and I have 100mm rims.

  24. #124
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by splitnow View Post
    I currently have the FBF and FBR 4.8 combo and only use them for snow. On snowmobile tracks they have a massive amount of rolling resistance for me. I still want a really good snow tire so would the Bud Lou combo be any better? Or are there other tires I should look at that have pretty good deep snow performance with a little better rolling resistance on more packed snow. This is for Colorado snow and I have 100mm rims.
    I would try Bud/Bud or Bud/Colossus.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,911
    I agree with mikesee. Bud/Bud combo. I run these year round.

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    I'm loving the Van Helga year around

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I'm loving the Van Helga year around
    I like the knobs on the Van Helga myself, but the rubber compound sucks. It is not all about the aggressive knobs for me, since they do not compensate for grip on wet roots and rocks. I suppose if you are biking mostly on dirt and gravel, even on rocky terrain, not slip rock, it is perfect to get the most aggressiv tire there is. Probably firmer compound also gives you less rolling resistance. I am really disappointed about so few good tires with good compound in fat tire category. For me the perfect is fex. the triple compound from Schwalbe and second the dual compound from Maxxis.

    The most tricky thing with a bad rubber compound is to hold the line when biking technical. When rubber compound is to firm, you are slipping on rocks and roots and you will for sure end up with the wrong line and then you hit something you should not. Most likely you will puncture. It does not help that 45nrth tires have weak side walls either.

  28. #128
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,193
    So the Maxxis compound works better than the Van Helga for you on slick roots & rocks? This is more the type application that I am after as well.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    So the Maxxis compound works better than the Van Helga for you on slick roots & rocks? This is more the type application that I am after as well.
    Yes the rubber compound is softer and is gripping so you can hold the line much better over slick wet rocks and roots. With to hard compound you will end up sliding everywhere, missing the line and hit other rocks, making snakebites or hitting the side wall. My experience is that the 45nrth and Surly rubber compound is likely developed against winter and snow surface. On hard packed snow they have excellent grip though and Flowbeist/Dunderbeist is my favourite there, together with Bud/Lou. I think also they are using thinner side walls to get a softer tire when rolling against the snow surface, maybe it will give better flotation?

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    The Van Helga is 60D center and 52D on the side knobs.
    The Minion is 50D center and 42D on the side knobs.

    Ive ridden a lot of tires and I cant tell the difference in tires that close.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    The Van Helga is 60D center and 52D on the side knobs.
    The Minion is 50D center and 42D on the side knobs.

    Ive ridden a lot of tires and I cant tell the difference in tires that close.
    I have been riding 20 different models (not brands) of plus and fatbike tires. For me it is a great difference. I would say that they are not close at all. 60 and 50 Center makes a big difference in keeping the line on slick rock or root beds. In gravel, hard pack and lose I would choose VH with the most aggressive knobs. The most soft rubber there is in fat tire department is Silica rubber from Vee. There is a shame the casing and knob design is not so good. I think some of them just seems designed on a computer, and not tested before production......

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    96
    I have the FBF 4.8 front and FBR 4.0 rear and want to run them in the snow, I hope they will suit me. does anyone know the width of the 4.8 FBF? I am running that tire on the On one carbon fatty fork, I think it will only accept 120mm max. any advice would be help
    thank you!

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    202
    My FBF 4.8 is exactly the same width as my FBR 4.8.

    Inflated at 7 PSI, they are both sitting between 4.3 and 4.4 inches.
    Inflated at 20 PSI, they are both sitting at 4.5 inches.

    Both tires are on 80mm Mulefut 80SL.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    96
    thats awesome! thank you so much!

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    96
    can anyone give me feedback on how the Minion FBF and FBR will handle in snow, from packed to deep snow, thank you

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    I weigh 170 and use the 4.8FBF as a rear on an 80mmm rim. I rode it in up to 8" of fresh east coast snow. As long as you had power to pedal, it would float along just fine at 2-3psi (tubed). By morning snow was 24" and when storm ended 38". Impossible to ride.
    Several days of freeze/thaw cycles later, diminishing total snow to less than 12" and was able to ride crust w/o breaking through. Then winter ended.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909
    I had an opprtunity to get a set of the 4.8 for cheap; my buddy had gotten some on a shop special, but after weighing them I'm thinking a 1500gm tire is really not what I need. If I was going to splurge for a tire that carries that much weight, I'd get studs.

    I just looked at the weights for a Bud a was suprised to see it was also 1500gms! I suppose they are comparable, but it just seems like that extra traction is not worth the weight, in comparison to a JJ 4.6 which is more like 1100-1200gms.

    Maybe if someone is really into riding a fat tire for all mountain, the Maxxis would be a good choice for traction and durability, but for snow it's an overkill.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    My FBF 4.8 is exactly the same width as my FBR 4.8.

    Inflated at 7 PSI, they are both sitting between 4.3 and 4.4 inches.
    Inflated at 20 PSI, they are both sitting at 4.5 inches.

    Both tires are on 80mm Mulefut 80SL.
    Isn't that interesting.

    On my 100mm TA wheels mounted tubeless the FBR measures 4.707" at 20 psi.

    I used a tube to seat the beads and at 20 psi with a tube it was 4.675" on the 100mm wheels.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Isn't that interesting.

    On my 100mm TA wheels mounted tubeless the FBR measures 4.707" at 20 psi.

    I used a tube to seat the beads and at 20 psi with a tube it was 4.675" on the 100mm wheels.
    Split hairs much

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909
    So I suppose I'm dreaming, but will the smaller minion fit a Fox plus fork?

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So I suppose I'm dreaming, but will the smaller minion fit a Fox plus fork?
    A Van Helga fits a 27.5+ Fox and the Minion is a little smaller. Id say yes.

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    24
    It was a nice ride today. Grip was excellent at this weather...
    Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-2016-11-05-18.22.39.jpg

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Split hairs much
    I read it off the caliper directly and am a former lab manager, so precision and accuracy are second nature.

    Nitpick much?

    At 8 psi on 100mm wheels it read 4.610" and the front Bud was 4.650" at 4 psi.

    I tested the rear FBR today on wet rock and leaves and have to say I'm most impressed. It never lost grip at all and I tried to see if it would.

    I'm sold on the FBR but after looking at a side x side with the FBF and Bud, I think the Bud is a better tire.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,222
    can anyone compare flowbeist to FBF 4.8? from the looks of numbers poisted here they are very close, with the FBF being just a wee bit bigger in volume and width, though numbers in isolation can be a little deceiving sometimes....

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyriverag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    can anyone compare flowbeist to FBF 4.8? from the looks of numbers poisted here they are very close, with the FBF being just a wee bit bigger in volume and width, though numbers in isolation can be a little deceiving sometimes....
    I posted somewhere, maybe the Farley thread, the Flow and Dunderbeists were 4.2ish in measure width.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS



  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,222
    thanks! yeah, i have a flowbeist on an 85mm external rim myself and know the measurements it has at my riding pressures - what i was curious about is if anyone has mounted and compared both on the same rim... the flow seems to be a few mm only narrower than the FBF acc to folks measurements, but i wonder how it is in reality? the fbf *should* have a bigger volume by quite a bit, but i wonder if they are actually very similar...cheers!

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    thanks! yeah, i have a flowbeist on an 85mm external rim myself and know the measurements it has at my riding pressures - what i was curious about is if anyone has mounted and compared both on the same rim... the flow seems to be a few mm only narrower than the FBF acc to folks measurements, but i wonder how it is in reality? the fbf *should* have a bigger volume by quite a bit, but i wonder if they are actually very similar...cheers!
    Any more true comparisons with Flowbeist

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42
    Could you guys explain to me the advantage of the Bud/Bud combo vs Bud/Lou combo for snow riding? Thanks.

    F

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Any feedback as to what the FBF and FBR are like in soft snow? Are they able to cut it or are they really for dry/groomed trails?
    Also any comparisons to the Flowbeist & Dundetbeist

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909
    OMG, do these suckers rail on firm groomer!

    At low pressures they maintain a nice sidewall, no floppiness, I was jumping and carving at 3-4psi on newly groomed single track. Maybe I could have been riding the 4" Minions, but there doesn't seem to be any downside to the 4.8 Minions, so why bother!

    There's decent float on these guys, even though my rims are only 65mm (sized down for frame fit reasons), when I air down they are at least as good on loose snow as the average 4.5" tire.

    They went up tubeless just fine, even though it took a compressor and strap to seat the bead, they have not leaked, and they spin "round".

    I have the matching set, 120tpi.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 ?
    By bitewerks in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 09:14 PM
  2. Maxxis Minion DRH II 2.3 26. Q
    By C.M.S in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
  3. maxxis minion 29 eta?
    By b-kul in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 02:15 AM
  4. Maxxis Minion 2.35 or 2.5?
    By merijn101 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •