Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    wouldn't be my very first choice, but they work fine.
    And what would be your 1st choice for such a tire? In a weeks time, I had to put in 12 plugs (big ones, for a car tire) in a handful of those Nobby Nics, both front & rear. Some tears needing 2 or 3 plugs next to each other to get an airtight seal. Nobody had to walk, but since we'll be riding the same terrain again I want something way sturdier on the bikes of some of the guys (always the same ones who shred their tires...).

This place needs an enema
    The casings on these are great. Super durable. I would just use the FBF instead of FBR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How are FBF/FBR combo performing on groomed trails (snow)?
    I'm currently using Bontrager Barbegazi front and rear, and I find them to wash out in corners too easily.

Rhymes with fartmaster
    So, I just realized Iíve never chimed in on this thread. I have been running Maxxis Minion FBR & FBF on two fatbikes for over a year now. I first mounted them up onto my Borealis Echo in February 2016, and then around October 2016 on my singlespeed 9:zero:7 fatbike. Without a doubt, these are the most impressive fatbike tires Iíve ever used (I have owned several fatbikes since 2010, with many different tires). The rubber compound seems really durable, the set on my Borealis has over 1,800 hard miles and still has massive tread left. I ride my fatbikes on hardpack, loose, rock gardens, steep climbs, roots, and drops, so one could argue this is traditional mountain bike and all mountain terrain; not once have I ridden a fatbike on snow, where they were originally intended to be ridden.

The only tire that I have ridden that has come close to being this good was the On One Floater, which was better overall in my opinion than the Surly Bud & Lou.

Iíve had my FBRs & FBFs set up tubeless, and in fact getting them seated properly was pretty easy on my Nextie 65mm carbon rims (no innertube required to get bead seated).

In conclusion, although I cannot speak for how well they do in the snow, I can honestly say that they perform like giant DH tires in every other condition.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    How are FBF/FBR combo performing on groomed trails (snow)?
    I'm currently using Bontrager Barbegazi front and rear, and I find them to wash out in corners too easily.

Depends on the kind of snow you mean, but in general I haven't been super impressed with FBF/FBR on snow of any kind.

Lots of other tires do better there than these.

Your bike sucks
    If you like these tires, FBF 4.8/4.0 are on ebay BikeWagon $79 in 120tpi - use PHOLIDAY20 for 20% = $64 delivered. Just ordered a 4.0 to go w/ my 4.8

Edit: Better directions: Go to Ebay, Find BikeWagon Store -> search and enjoy the 20% PHOLIDAY20 coupon when you check out. They have some sweet deals if you find what you are looking for...
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 12-08-2017 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    If you like these tires, FBF 4.8/4.0 are on ebay BikeWagon $79 in 120tpi - use PHOLIDAY20 for 20% = $64 delivered. Just ordered a 4.0 to go w/ my 4.8
    Damn thatís a good deal. Tried and that code is no longer valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Never mind. I was not on eBay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I did a pretty direct comparison yesterday between a pair of FBF's and Bud/Lou. Snow was 3-4 inches of soft, untracked and tracked, windblown snow on a golf course. Terrain was pretty flat. Pressures were figured out to be different post ride but noted below. Both sets were run tubeless on 80 mm mulefut rims.

Bike 1: Medium 907 Tundra, FBF (non exo) front at 8 psi, FBF (non exo) in reverse direction on Rear 7.5psi. Both custom studded with ~126 flat tipped studs from bikestud

Bike 2: Small Borealis Flume, Bud front, Lou rear, both were around 6.5-7 psi. No studs.

On the way out I was riding the FBF. In the narrow 1-3 tire track it was fine. Any bumping of the unpacked got a little squirrley and trying to blaze new trail front definitely slipped around and rear did some too.

On the way back I was riding Bud/Lou. Bumping unpacked didn't faze them. Blazing new trail didn't faze them. Hammering down, standing up pedaling, and really weaving/carving in the fresh stuff and they never slipped. Rolling resistance seemed higher.

I have a Bud I'm going to try up front and see how I like how it rolls. I like going fast so I don't want to add too much drag. We haven't gotten enough snow in MN the past 2 years to make it worthwhile to go Bud/Lou all the time. Still tempted to try Bud/Bud. Not sure if it would get me way too much rolling resistance or not enough traction on loose days

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the FBF 3.8's on i45 rims? Got a sweet deal on 27.5 WTB Scraper i45 rims. So this will be a second wheelset for my 2017 -50 Blizzard that's currently running 26 FBF/FBR 4.8's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah, I run 27.5 x 3.8 on scraper i45 for the front on my WoZo. 3.0 rear. Works very well. Might swap to 3.0 next summer

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by whezy View Post
    Has anyone tried the FBF 3.8's on i45 rims?
    i currently run the FBF/FBR combo on my fatillac on scraper i45's. great all round setup. not the best in the snow, but it is doable.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Thanks guys! Now I just have to build them up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Had the FBF mounted to 100mm Clown Shoes. Rode in about 6-8 inches of dry, slippery snow. The tire was horrible. Granted, the conditions were not ideal, but the tire just could not find traction. My rear tire is a Lou, and it had no troubles. Switched my front to a Flowbeist and expect better results. I cannot recommend the FBF for the snow. It absolutely rails on dirt, however. Definitely a three season tire.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

Flying Sasquatch
    IMHO the FBF tires are great for soft to intermediate dirt. That's where I feel like they have performed well for me. On hardpack, the harder compound feels a little squirrely. On snow that hard compound coupled with large tread blocks doesn't perform well either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by giantone View Post
    That pic is on the 65mm Mule Fut rim. I have one it at the shop and it is sick!
    Is Mulefut still making a 65mm rim? I was looking for that but only found Mulefuts in 50mm and 80mm.

mtbr member
    The Sun Mulefut 65SL is currently OEM only (Rocky Mountain Suzi Q) though I imagine it would become generally available at some point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    The Sun Mulefut 65SL is currently OEM only (Rocky Mountain Suzi Q) though I imagine it would become generally available at some point.
    When did the Rocky Mountain Suzi Q with the 65SL first come out?

mtbr member
    If you happen to have an FBF 4.8 lying around, and aren't happy with your current rear, try it out back in reversed direction. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it digs.

Kinda giving up on either the FBF or FBR as a front tyre, in snow. Not enough lateral grip. They are good candidates for self studded ice tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here.

Why not more three season impressions? What the FBF and FBR were designed for.

A lot of discussion seems to revolve around the snow performance of the FBF and FBR, but they are specifically not made for that, neither in tread design nor compound. Maxxis's fat bike winter tire made with sipes and cold weather compound is the Colossus.

On the FBF/R, Maxxis website reads:

The Minion FBF represents a progression in fat-biking by offering a front-specific tire designed for trail riding. Featuring the proven Minion DHF tread blocks, the FBF combines extreme cornering capability, low rolling resistance, and fat-tire volume for unsurpassed grip on uneven and loose surfaces.

and

The Minion FBR is a rear-specific fat bike tire designed for trail riding. It shares the look of the Minion DHR II, but is optimized for fat biking. The Minion FBR features well-known, proven side knobs for cornering traction and ramped, paddle-like knobs down the middle, minimizing rolling resistance and maximizing traction in all conditions.

Are people desirous of getting one tire for year round use if they don't have to compromise too much; or are some considering the Minion FBF/R as legitimate dedicated snow tires?
    Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 02-14-2018 at 10:28 PM.

passed out in your garden
    I find them great for summer trail riding, they seem to last a long time too, lm running the 4.8 FBF & FBR, lm thinking of a 4.0 set for the coming summer, then back to 4.8 for winter.

Regarding winter riding, l only find the front to be a problem, my experience shows the rear is fine.

YMMV
    always mad and usually drunk......

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Maxxis has a FB tire designed for winter: the Colossus.

You don't have to use the Colossus for long to realize that it isn't much good in deep, soft snow. So, while they may have 'designed it for winter', I don't know of anyplace within ~1000 miles that has a winter where it'd work for beans.

FBF/FBR are much better for the type of snow I know, although there are far better tires than these.

Fatbike tires are expensive and not everyone wants (or knows how to) swap them and deal with the tubeless hassle. Many people want to get away with as few tires as possible, and for many of them the FBR/FBR scratch most of their itches reasonably well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You don't have to use the Colossus for long to realize that it isn't much good in deep, soft snow. So, while they may have 'designed it for winter...FBF/FBR are much better for the type of snow I know, although there are far better tires than these.
    Well that's good to know about the Colossus, although personally, anytime there is powder, I'll be more likely to break out the backcountry cross country skis than the bike. If I do wind up doing some winter riding, it will more likely be on packed snow or ice. It's good to know the Minions can get by decently with that (although you didn't specifically mention ice. I'm thinking well siped tires might be wanted for ice.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Good job!

Have only tried my Minion 4.8" FBF/FBR in non-snow conditions before and was very pleased with them. Have tried them a little now in snow also, have only Jumbo Jims to compare with though but compared to them they grip very good. Like them so far.

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-minion.jpg

mtbr member
    I had these and they absolutely suck in the snow as compared to my go-to Bud and Lou's! But, for normal trail riding they corner and climb great and last a long time.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 02-21-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Just received a pair in 4.0, they'll be my non winter tire.

How big the 4.8's really are compared to Bud and Lou?

mtbr member
    Had them mounted on 90mm rims and were a little smaller than B&L's did not do an actual measurement.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My 4.8 are between 4.3" (carcass) and 4.5" (lugs) on Mulefut 80mm rims.

Mine are ~109mm mounted on DT Swiss BR2250, think its 75mm internal width

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Iím planning on switching out my 45Nrth Flow and Dunderbeist for the FBF/FBR combo. The reason for the change is that the current tires keep of having bead failures on my 80mm Mulefuts.

A lot of riders in our neck of the woods (Front Range Mountains) like these tires. We donít have groomed trails but rather snowshoed trails on snowpack that can be anywhere from dirt/pointy rock mix to feet deep.

However, reading some of this thread has me worried. Many are saying these are not good in snow. Really?

What are people comparing against? I need tires with big lugs that dig in deep to soft snow but can also handle the abuse of snow free rocky trail. The Flow and Dunderbeist are awesome on snow but the side walls are too fragile.

Is the FBF and FBR a mistake for my style of riding?

PS. This is my usual winter riding.
    https://youtu.be/8-wX7CPZtTo

Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Iím planning on switching out my 45Nrth Flow and Dunderbeist for the FBF/FBR combo. The reason for the change is that the current tires keep of having bead failures on my 80mm Mulefuts.

A lot of riders in our neck of the woods (Front Range Mountains) like these tires. We donít have groomed trails but rather snowshoed trails on snowpack that can be anywhere from dirt/pointy rock mix to feet deep.

However, reading some of this thread has me worried. Many are saying these are not good in snow. Really?

What are people comparing against? I need tires with big lugs that dig in deep to soft snow but can also handle the abuse of snow free rocky trail. The Flow and Dunderbeist are awesome on snow but the side walls are too fragile.

Is the FBF and FBR a mistake for my style of riding?

PS. This is my usual winter riding.
    https://youtu.be/8-wX7CPZtTo
    Maxxis doesn't advertise the FBF/FBR as a snow tire, their snow tire is the Colosus but that doesn't mean that can't be used as such.

Don't have the luxury of groomed trails also and only use Bud/Lou for winter riding. Having said that some of my Saturday morning ride buddies ride 4.8 120tpi FBF/FBR on their bikes and have no issues regarding traction or flotation on 80mm wheels some of them being Mulefuts.

mtbr member
    I rode an Edna rear, FBF front (on Mulefuts) for a while and really liked the combination on rocky NE trails before the snow came. I found the Edna to be much better in the snow than the FBF. The FBF would wash out quite often in loose snow and was difficult to steer when the snow surface wasn't uniform (packed/unpacked transitions, etc).

By contrast I'm now using a Gnarwhal 27.5x4.5 in front and it is much better in these respects. If I were to do a 26" wheelset again I'd be tempted to try Edna front and rear, or maybe Edna rear with Bud front.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

Yep, really. FBF/FBR don't have any siping in their knobs, which (my theory) means they can't hang to anything slippery. My experience with them in similar conditions to yours is that they just weren't very predictable on snow and terrifying on ice.

Great on dirt and rock though, and super durable casings.

Bud/Lou (or Nate if you're staying smaller) are excellent tires for Front Range footpacked conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Great on dirt and rock though, and super durable casings.
    that is what I mostly ride with mine but was worried about the casings so that was great to hear! the weigh alot so I guess just that makes them last better. Also, the knobs should last quite long also I assume, since they are quite large.

Sent through my mind through Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bud/Lou (or Nate if you're staying smaller) are excellent tires for Front Range footpacked conditions.
    Bud/Lou and Nate are fantastic tires in the front ranges of Alberta (similar precipitation patterns, but colder). I'd assume Edna is also good as well. We now have our first groomers up here so some trail networks are changing, but traditionally it's all been rough foot/bike packed singletrack with lots of loose challenging conditions. The big lugs and siping really help. Of course then it gets icy and turns into a luge track. A Grip Studded Bud is locally considered to be the king of front tires for much of the winter up here.

Addition: I have a pair of 4.8" FBR sitting in the garage. I haven't even tested them in the snow & ice. I'll put them on in the spring for getting rowdy on the rocks and dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    ...I did some service on my front wheel and after pumping it up again to slightly less than 0.5bar I suffer from very bad self steer on the 4.8" FBF. It's like the art of drunken fist.

But I read some very nice words about it here...

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    It's just a trademark of such a wide tire

In those occasions I just obey the tire and follow where it wants to go... usually takes me to some interesting place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Alright, had a few people asking about the snow performance on these. I ride similar places to mikesee and I'm mostly riding in deep-ish powder snow. I have different opinions to the other mike, though. These are the 2nd best tires I've currently ridden in snow.

I got a new bike this winter and it came with FBF/FBR 60tpis. They set up cake, easiest fat tire to set up tubeless I've come up against.

The stuff I'm riding, flotation is king. My preferred setup is bud/lou, not going to lie. These have a much more firm sidewall which cause drag when used at ultra low pressures (I'm usually in the neighborhood of .5 psi, I'll attach a pic) They're breaking in and the sidewalls are becoming much more complaint which is nice. I rode them once with tubes and wanted to die.

In hardpack conditions these roll MUCH better than a bud/lou at higher pressures (2-4psi) On suncrust snow late in the winter, these might be a better pick. They're also much better rolling resistance wise on dirt and pavement. They're definitely a great 4 season tire, where the bud/lou is a one season tire.

Bud has more steering than a FBF and lou has more forward traction than a FBR, that being said I'm not having many issues spinning out a FBR more than I would. They're predictable while drifting, though wich is nice.

I've run Chao yang FBNs (4 and 5") (HATED them), Ground control 4.6s and HATED them, Nates (awesome but lacked flotation) and had a demo with Jumbo jims and disliked them.

I'm not instantly running off to replace them with a bud/lou. I'd like to get a few hundred miles on them (currently at like 80ish) before i make any hard decisions but when it comes time to replace them I'll probably just get a bud/lou. I only use my fatbike in the winter and have no desires to ride it on dirt. If you ride yours on mixed surface these are an excellent choice.Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-20180311_101859.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Now I'm looking at that picture on a full screen, it looks a bit more extreme than usual, but you get the idea. A supple sidewall is a must for me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    I rode them once with tubes and wanted to die.
    I'm on my second winter with FBR/FBF 4.8 and been using tubes since the begining. I guess I should really try tubeless with them...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    I'm on my second winter with FBR/FBF 4.8 and been using tubes since the begining. I guess I should really try tubeless with them...
    Under about 2 psi the tubes stopped touching the sidewalls and the drag was horrendous. Tubeless on a fatbike is a no-brainer if you've got a good set of wheels. I've had 2 sets of mulefuts and they've been brilliant.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm using Mulefuts 80. Clearly, my only concern is below -25C and I'm going out pretty often below that in the winter. I scared of having to walk 2h to get back home because of a flat tire....

Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    I'm using Mulefuts 80. Clearly, my only concern is below -25C and I'm going out pretty often below that in the winter. I scared of having to walk 2h to get back home because of a flat tire....

Walking keeps your feet warm.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's true. And even more warm when pushing a fat bike with a flat in a snowmobile trail!

mtbr member
    Got a set of FBR/FBFs (4.0) and mounted them up on my Big Deal rims today. I don't know how you guys seat these beads with floor pumps, I had to use a compressor and with some good flow, at that. But seal them I did, so here's my question.

I wanted to seat the beads before adding sealant, then add sealant through the valve stem. Avoids the mess if you have to rearrange the tires on the wheels. Once the beads seated, presto... they're holding pressure. No sealant. I have the EXO/TR version. I assume they're supposed to require sealant to hold, but I could be in error.

Before I dump in a bunch of Stans I may not need, I guess I should ask if anyone running these things without sealant?

Your bike sucks
    ^Been able to have air mine up and hold air...for a while but some sealant was needed for me. My first set - I used a bunch... Now I'm skating by with just a hair more than I'd use in regular trail tires.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Got a set of FBR/FBFs (4.0) and mounted them up on my Big Deal rims today. I don't know how you guys seat these beads with floor pumps, I had to use a compressor and with some good flow, at that. But seal them I did, so here's my question.

I wanted to seat the beads before adding sealant, then add sealant through the valve stem. Avoids the mess if you have to rearrange the tires on the wheels. Once the beads seated, presto... they're holding pressure. No sealant. I have the EXO/TR version. I assume they're supposed to require sealant to hold, but I could be in error.

Before I dump in a bunch of Stans I may not need, I guess I should ask if anyone running these things without sealant?
    My 4.0 EXO TR's sealed up with a regular floor pump on the first try. Left them alone overnight and they lost some pressure, added 4oz of sealant thru the stem and has been good ever since.

mtbr member
    Decided to try the new Finish Line sealant. Supposedly, you can just rinse it all off if you need to, so thought it would be good to try that before dumping in a bunch of Stans. So far, so good.

These tires are pretty amazing. Great grip and, what surprised me the most, they give a really comfortable ride! Much better than the Husker Dus they replaced. I don't claim to be able to sense all the minute differences so many others seem to, but this was a very noticeable improvement in ride comfort!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What internal rim width is working best for everyone with the FBR 26x4.00 and 26x4.80?

I never see snow but ride soft sand, hard pack and everything in between. My rear rim is 96mm internal and I have tried the 4.0 and the 4.8 FBR. 4.0 is way too flat...Maxxis recommends 76mm for the 4.0 but I haven't been able to get an answer from them on the 4.8. My 96mm rim is too wide for the 4.8 as well IMO.

I went to a 2.8" DHF with a 120mm travel suspension fork on the front (35mm rim) and run the FBRs on the rear of my hardtail. Trying to use the rear tire as a sudo rear suspension, the best pressure I have found is about 8 psi for both the 4.0 and 4.8.

Any experiences, good or bad, with rim widths for both the 4.0 and 4.8 FBR would be appreciated...I am thinking of going to a 57mm internal rim with the 4.0 and a 74mm for the 4.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog123 View Post
    What internal rim width is working best for everyone with the FBR 26x4.00 and 26x4.80?

I never see snow but ride soft sand, hard pack and everything in between. My rear rim is 96mm internal and I have tried the 4.0 and the 4.8 FBR. 4.0 is way too flat...Maxxis recommends 76mm for the 4.0 but I haven't been able to get an answer from them on the 4.8. My 96mm rim is too wide for the 4.8 as well IMO.

I went to a 2.8" DHF with a 120mm travel suspension fork on the front (35mm rim) and run the FBRs on the rear of my hardtail. Trying to use the rear tire as a sudo rear suspension, the best pressure I have found is about 8 psi for both the 4.0 and 4.8.

Any experiences, good or bad, with rim widths for both the 4.0 and 4.8 FBR would be appreciated...I am thinking of going to a 57mm internal rim with the 4.0 and a 74mm for the 4.8.
    The 4.0's installed surprisingly easy on my Mulefut 80 rims which I believe are about 76mm internally. Some of my fat biking friends run the 4.8's on 80mm rims (different makes including Mulefuts), I have yet to try them.

mtbr member
    Running a 4.8 FBR on a 95 mm (external measurement) rim and it is ideal. I don't think that tire is too small for a 96 mm (internal) rim size.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

I run 4.8s on DT Swiss 2250, l think they are 75mm rims, the FBF and FBR work fine for me on these rims

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123