Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    wouldn't be my very first choice, but they work fine.
    And what would be your 1st choice for such a tire? In a weeks time, I had to put in 12 plugs (big ones, for a car tire) in a handful of those Nobby Nics, both front & rear. Some tears needing 2 or 3 plugs next to each other to get an airtight seal. Nobody had to walk, but since we'll be riding the same terrain again I want something way sturdier on the bikes of some of the guys (always the same ones who shred their tires...).

This place needs an enema
    The casings on these are great. Super durable. I would just use the FBF instead of FBR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How are FBF/FBR combo performing on groomed trails (snow)?
    I'm currently using Bontrager Barbegazi front and rear, and I find them to wash out in corners too easily.

PRETENDURO
    So, I just realized Iíve never chimed in on this thread. I have been running Maxxis Minion FBR & FBF on two fatbikes for over a year now. I first mounted them up onto my Borealis Echo in February 2016, and then around October 2016 on my singlespeed 9:zero:7 fatbike. Without a doubt, these are the most impressive fatbike tires Iíve ever used (I have owned several fatbikes since 2010, with many different tires). The rubber compound seems really durable, the set on my Borealis has over 1,800 hard miles and still has massive tread left. I ride my fatbikes on hardpack, loose, rock gardens, steep climbs, roots, and drops, so one could argue this is traditional mountain bike and all mountain terrain; not once have I ridden a fatbike on snow, where they were originally intended to be ridden.

The only tire that I have ridden that has come close to being this good was the On One Floater, which was better overall in my opinion than the Surly Bud & Lou.

Iíve had my FBRs & FBFs set up tubeless, and in fact getting them seated properly was pretty easy on my Nextie 65mm carbon rims (no innertube required to get bead seated).

In conclusion, although I cannot speak for how well they do in the snow, I can honestly say that they perform like giant DH tires in every other condition.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    How are FBF/FBR combo performing on groomed trails (snow)?
    I'm currently using Bontrager Barbegazi front and rear, and I find them to wash out in corners too easily.

Depends on the kind of snow you mean, but in general I haven't been super impressed with FBF/FBR on snow of any kind.

Lots of other tires do better there than these.

Your bike sucks
    If you like these tires, FBF 4.8/4.0 are on ebay BikeWagon $79 in 120tpi - use PHOLIDAY20 for 20% = $64 delivered. Just ordered a 4.0 to go w/ my 4.8

Edit: Better directions: Go to Ebay, Find BikeWagon Store -> search and enjoy the 20% PHOLIDAY20 coupon when you check out. They have some sweet deals if you find what you are looking for...
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 6 Days Ago at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    If you like these tires, FBF 4.8/4.0 are on ebay BikeWagon $79 in 120tpi - use PHOLIDAY20 for 20% = $64 delivered. Just ordered a 4.0 to go w/ my 4.8
    Damn thatís a good deal. Tried and that code is no longer valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Never mind. I was not on eBay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I did a pretty direct comparison yesterday between a pair of FBF's and Bud/Lou. Snow was 3-4 inches of soft, untracked and tracked, windblown snow on a golf course. Terrain was pretty flat. Pressures were figured out to be different post ride but noted below. Both sets were run tubeless on 80 mm mulefut rims.

Bike 1: Medium 907 Tundra, FBF (non exo) front at 8 psi, FBF (non exo) in reverse direction on Rear 7.5psi. Both custom studded with ~126 flat tipped studs from bikestud

Bike 2: Small Borealis Flume, Bud front, Lou rear, both were around 6.5-7 psi. No studs.

On the way out I was riding the FBF. In the narrow 1-3 tire track it was fine. Any bumping of the unpacked got a little squirrley and trying to blaze new trail front definitely slipped around and rear did some too.

On the way back I was riding Bud/Lou. Bumping unpacked didn't faze them. Blazing new trail didn't faze them. Hammering down, standing up pedaling, and really weaving/carving in the fresh stuff and they never slipped. Rolling resistance seemed higher.

I have a Bud I'm going to try up front and see how I like how it rolls. I like going fast so I don't want to add too much drag. We haven't gotten enough snow in MN the past 2 years to make it worthwhile to go Bud/Lou all the time. Still tempted to try Bud/Bud. Not sure if it would get me way too much rolling resistance or not enough traction on loose days

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the FBF 3.8's on i45 rims? Got a sweet deal on 27.5 WTB Scraper i45 rims. So this will be a second wheelset for my 2017 -50 Blizzard that's currently running 26 FBF/FBR 4.8's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah, I run 27.5 x 3.8 on scraper i45 for the front on my WoZo. 3.0 rear. Works very well. Might swap to 3.0 next summer

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by whezy View Post
    Has anyone tried the FBF 3.8's on i45 rims?
    i currently run the FBF/FBR combo on my fatillac on scraper i45's. great all round setup. not the best in the snow, but it is doable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123