Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    In case anyone was considering the Colossus vs Minion, I've compared both and the Colossus is about 10mm wider (knobs or casing). Much bigger.

The Minions fit on a Mukluk without any mods, but the Colossus required a drive-side BB spacer, 2 cassette cogs truncated, and even then they're so wide that the knobs rub on the chainstays during flex.

I don't have my notes handy, but I think I measured 109mm casing and 119mm at the outer knobs.

80mm rims, 20psi (tubed and tubeless)

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by howrad View Post
    In case anyone was considering the Colossus vs Minion, I've compared both and the Colossus is about 10mm wider (knobs or casing). Much bigger.

The Minions fit on a Mukluk without any mods, but the Colossus required a drive-side BB spacer, 2 cassette cogs truncated, and even then they're so wide that the knobs rub on the chainstays during flex.

I don't have my notes handy, but I think I measured 109mm casing and 119mm at the outer knobs.

80mm rims, 20psi (tubed and tubeless)

That's great info. Wonder if the Colossus casing is actually bigger, or if the dearth of rubber (see weight differences to FBF/FBR) is merely allowing it to stretch more?
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    That's great info. Wonder if the Colossus casing is actually bigger, or if the dearth of rubber (see weight differences to FBF/FBR) is merely allowing it to stretch more?
    Hmm, I hadn't even considered that the casings might be the same and the sheer knobbiness of the Minions could constrain the potential size.

I think the Colossus side knobs might also be farther down the sidewall, making the overall width even greater.

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-img_5571.jpg

I'll probably change to the Minions because they fit better, but I'm really going to miss the way the Colossus rolls.

Weights were 1558g and 1583g.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you have either of them unmounted again would you please lay them flat and measure bead to bead across the carcass?

Regarding fitting a Mukluk, are you talking 1 or 2 front rings?

Chris Bling
    Any follow up with these tires? Looks like they have some great potential
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Any follow up with these tires? Looks like they have some great potential
    I ran a few hundred Kold Kutters into mine, because the blocky knobs seemed so perfect for the application, and because I'm leaving in the AM for somewhere cold, icy, and gorgeous.

Not sure my opinion on them will be worth a damn after this...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have knee problems, and ridden only couple of times. Conditions have been cold and wet, not snow yet. Minions are little bit weighty (for my poor fitness ), but overall i have been very satisfied for them. Yesterday was -5 celsius (23 fahrenheit) and grip on the rocks and roots was great. Also, when grip breaks loose, movement has been very smooth. However i am still a newbie, so my opinion is not worth much

mtbr member
    Finally swapped to the minion in rear, albeit on my 47 millimeter trials rim. Paired with the front version on an 80 millimeter rim. Conditions were dust over crust, with an icy substrate providing only modest initial bite. Even on a smaller rim, the FBR is the star of the pair in those conditions. Plenty of traction to tractor up the climbs if I stay seated, and pretty decent braking traction as well. It blew away the 4.0 Nate on the same rim.

The front was passable, but more prone to sliding than the rear. Can't help but wonder how the FBR would do on both ends. Need more testing in powder and slush before a concrete conclusion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    If you have either of them unmounted again would you please lay them flat and measure bead to bead across the carcass?

Regarding fitting a Mukluk, are you talking 1 or 2 front rings?
    I just pulled my Colossus tires off to sell them, and I measured the bead-to-bead width at 250mm. Lesson learned: next time I'll use the Minions if I want an easier fit on a Mukluk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by howrad View Post
    I just pulled my Colossus tires off to sell them, and I measured the bead-to-bead width at 250mm. Lesson learned: next time I'll use the Minions if I want an easier fit on a Mukluk.
    Interesting. I measure the same 250mm on a FBF. 115mm to widest point on 80mm rims at 20psi. Guess the difference is the location of the side knobs as you noted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    mounted up a set on rolling darryls on my ice cream truck,after a 32 mile ride i was very impressed with them and how they handled the various surface conditions during the ride...in southern new mexico we have packed sand and loose sand,rocks,more rocks,chunky rocks,rocks and sand mixed together,sand over rocks,rocks over sand....you get the picture...
    even found a little patch of mud during the ride,not something we see much of around here...

they seem to have avoided most of the bad fat bike tire features like self steer of that falling down the stairs feeling some tires have as you lean them over onto the next set of knobs.also not too bad on pavement,even at "trail" pressure.really did everything well but shined when pointed down hill...as you might expect...didnt take long before i was letting the brakes go and trusting the tires would hold a line through even the most blown out sections...

not the fastest rolling tire in the world,they are a bit on the heavy side,but then again i expect the exo casing will not leave me stranded out in the desert either...

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-dscf1080.jpgMaxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-dscf1081.jpgMaxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-dscf1082.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the review, pretty sure I'm gonna go with this for my next tire set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    mounted up a set on rolling darryls on my ice cream truck,after a 32 mile ride i was very impressed with them and how they handled the various surface conditions during the ride...in southern new mexico we have packed sand and loose sand,rocks,more rocks,chunky rocks,rocks and sand mixed together,sand over rocks,rocks over sand....you get the picture...
    even found a little patch of mud during the ride,not something we see much of around here...

they seem to have avoided most of the bad fat bike tire features like self steer of that falling down the stairs feeling some tires have as you lean them over onto the next set of knobs.also not too bad on pavement,even at "trail" pressure.really did everything well but shined when pointed down hill...as you might expect...didnt take long before i was letting the brakes go and trusting the tires would hold a line through even the most blown out sections...

not the fastest rolling tire in the world,they are a bit on the heavy side,but then again i expect the exo casing will not leave me stranded out in the desert either...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1080.JPG 
Views:	441 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	1043938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1081.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	1043939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1082.JPG 
Views:	1207 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	1043940
    How do they compare to Nates?

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride." -Hunter S. Thompson
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." -Oscar Wilde
    "Single speeds should come in cans" -Me

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the nates didnt stay on the bike for very long because i was having way too many pedal strikes with the 4 inch tires so i dont have a real impression of the nates. aside to say they sucked on the road portion of my rides since i commute to the trails by bike.great on the dirt though,but i would say the minion does it all much better without being a latex bleeding mess like im sure the nates would be tubeless,the construction of the maxxis tires is miles ahead of the surly tires in my opinion which is sad since i loved the knard 4.8's i had on my moonlander.
    im on my second set of chronicles for the krampus,the first pair got split between my ogre and karate monkey and are still going strong,at the same time i got 300 miles out of a dirt wizard 120 tpi 29x3 tire before it was worn out and the sidewalls were blown,the chronicles went well over 2500 miles already...

bigger than you.
    is there any word on when a 4.0 version might be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    is there any word on when a 4.0 version might be available?
    I hope before summer. Must have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Has Anyone tried running FBF at both ends? I wonder how much would it affect behaviour of the rear end. I can't find FBR anywhere (eu) and I need a new set of tyres. Only FBF (I need EXO-version) available.

mtbr member
    I plan to run FBF on both ends if they ever bring the 4.0 to market. I can't foresee any issue with it. Should corner great and last forever. I reckon a 4.8 FBR would be overkill for 98.375% of riders/conditions. Mine will be snow only usage.

Until that happens, I'll prolly run the 4.8" FBF with a faster rear- likely the FatB in 4.0 or 4.9". I've come to realize that the size difference in rear makes a marked difference in cornering. The smaller FatB cuts a much tighter line at any given lean angle, even when paired with a larger front. But the high volume works a treat for square edge hits, riding up stairs, and makes wheelies/manuals easier. Decisions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
    Has Anyone tried running FBF at both ends? I wonder how much would it affect behaviour of the rear end. I can't find FBR anywhere (eu) and I need a new set of tyres. Only FBF (I need EXO-version) available.
    I used a FBF on the rear because the tread appears that it would roll a bit better than the R.
    Bud/clownshoe front and FBF/Darryl is the max I can fit. Worked great in 8" of fresh wet snow and then crust then slush riding that followed the rest of the season. Definitely more meaty than the previous Nate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ordered pair of Minion FBF. I just hope they are not total anchors. They are on the heavy heavy side but I hope the tread isn't as slow as my Surly Lou was out in the back. My other option was Jumbo Jims, but the tread doesn't seem to suit for my riding style in sloppy conditions so I went with Minions. Jims are propably a lot lighter and would roll a lot better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If it's any consolation, you'll get a nice MAXXIS drawstring bag with each tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    If it's any consolation, you'll get a nice MAXXIS drawstring bag with each tire.
    Mine came without those fancy bags Tread is a lot beefier than I imagined from the pictures. I have to set them up tubeless and see how do they compare over Bud / Lou -combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone tried these tires on Uma 70mm rims? I have about 150 mi on them (both 4.8) I am unable to get the beads to fully seat on 1 side. I am not thinking it is the tires but the pointy lip on the inside of the rim, not allowing the bead to go over and seat completely. If I run 12+ psi I have no issues with air loss but any lower and I'm going broke on co2's. The Uma's were great on the looser bead Surly tires for tubless but they seem too tight for the Minions. I currently don't have another rim to try at the moment, may get to use my frieds Sarma carbon later in the week but figured I would ask here first.

Possible solutions are getting new carbon rims but I would rather wait and see what happens with 27.5 x 5", if they will fit in my frame etc, before spending $$$ on new carbon rims. Another option was to sand down the lip a mm or so all around and see if that will be enough slack to get the rest of the bead to seat.

Don't want to do any of the above until I get some feedback and a carbon rim to pop them on too first.

Thanks in advance.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My experience so far with FBF on front and back: Corners nicely, better steering feel than Surly's Bud. Ok traction on mud, rolls decently. Quite much self steer on bare rock when running low pressures. Heavy. Slippery on wet roots when using higher pressures. I think I still need to find that sweet spot with pressure on front. So far i've been running these with 0.5 bar front, 0.6 bar back (on Rolling Darryls). 0.4 bars on front was too low (self steering on bare rock / tarmac), 0.45 felt quite good on rough descents.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-20160504_183137.jpg

I just got my Framed Alaskan with Minions FBF and FBR. I have not been able to test them out yet because of work and it's been raining like hell the entire week here in the northeast

But, it came with 9 psi from factory when I got on it, it seemed too stiff so I lowered it to 6 psi and it seems like it's the sweet spot. The FBF definitely has more knobs, it almost looks like a fat version of the Ardent 2.25 that my wife has on her 27.5" FS.

The knob pattern to me looks like it's more versatile, kinda like A/T tires on a Wrangler.

We'll see how it goes when I ride it for the first time. I'll keep you all in touch.
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.

Got a set that came stock on my RSD Mayor 2016.
    Imo, the best tires out there.
    Coming from a set of Bud & Lou that I keep for winter only, I was still impress by the Minions on snow (soft or hard) and even ice at the end of the winter fat season.
    I'm using them has a 3 seasons tires and like all my Minions on my DH bike and Enduro bike, I'm glad I have Maxxis Minions for agressive grip in whatever conditions. I use the 8psi min rating to keep rolling resistance and also a bit of self steer as low as possible (but nothing compared to Vee-Snowshoe XL 4,8'').
    I was missing my low pressure guage lately so I've been riding for a while at 4,5psi with no problem and extreme grip in whatever I throw at them. They love off-camber wet or dry!
    If I had to choose just one tire set all year round, it would be a set of Minions!

Just had one bad luck, I've cut one side wall on my rear in sharp rocks (not a legitimate bike trail...)
    I've manage to patch it with tire patch and it still hold solid to this date.
    So I'm not sure to go the tubeless route because of that but mated with Sun Ringle Mulefut 80 SL, it must be one of the best tubeless setup!
    It's almost impossible to get the tire bead off the the rim sidewall!
    I have to use my foot! crazy solid! I even had to run on a rear flat (cut sidewall) and it wasn't even close to go off the rim...

I run Maxxis 3,8-5'' tubes for summer conditions, but I've tried a Surly light tube 4'' 0,8mm on the rear at 4,5psi with no problems and you can feel the weight saving lifting the bike...but that tube, I'll keep it for winter too.
    Last edited by dhbasher; 05-17-2016 at 03:29 AM.
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oh, and these were a breeze to setup tubeless. I got mine done with just a floorpump after getting the other side up with inner tube. After the tyres popped they sealed immediately. No leaks what so ever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Has anyone run the non exo, non tubeless ready 120tpi version tubeless. I have mulefuts if that makes any difference. Non exo would save some weight and cost

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Has anyone run the non exo, non tubeless ready 120tpi version tubeless. I have mulefuts if that makes any difference. Non exo would save some weight and cost
    I have had non exo 120tpi, tubeless setup with marge lites, since november. No problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hopefully EXO TR 4.0" version of both tires will be available this year. I would like to try something knobbier 120tpi tubeless ready tires for wet trails but lighter than those 4.8" tires (~1600-1650g). 45nrth Vanhelga has been in my mind also but these tires have EXO protection...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Hopefully EXO TR 4.0" version of both tires will be available this year. I would like to try something knobbier 120tpi tubeless ready tires for wet trails but lighter than those 4.8" tires (~1600-1650g). 45nrth Vanhelga has been in my mind also but these tires have EXO protection...
    There was a set of the 4.0 EXO FBF/FBR on the facebook Fatbike Trader group posted Sunday. They were asking $170 for them. they were new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Likin Bikin seems to be the only place that has the 4.0's in stock - they aren't even listed on Maxxis website yet.

MAXXIS MINION FBF 26x4.0 EXO/TR/120 : Likin' Bikin'
    MAXXIS MINION FBR 26x4.0 EXO/TR/120 : Likin' Bikin'

mtbr member
    Pricing is a bit silly, considering the 4.8 was under $100.

mtbr member
    Anyone had a chance to compare the 4.8 FBR to the Specy GC 4.6? Sidewall strength is my main concern followed by rolling resistance...

Touring the CT in a couple weeks and looking for my rear tire... It will be one of the two in this thread on a Nextie 65mm rim. I already have the GC's but am a bit leary of the sidewall.

Thanks,
    --Tom--

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77 View Post
    Anyone had a chance to compare the 4.8 FBR to the Specy GC 4.6? Sidewall strength is my main concern followed by rolling resistance...

Touring the CT in a couple weeks and looking for my rear tire... It will be one of the two in this thread on a Nextie 65mm rim. I already have the GC's but am a bit leary of the sidewall.

Thanks,
    --Tom--
    FBF if rolling resistance is a concern.

mtbr member
    Are you saying to run an FBF on the front and rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77 View Post
    Are you saying to run an FBF on the front and rear?
    Yup. it's a good tire.

mtbr member
    Cool... I had read about a couple people trying it but there's just not that many reviews on using the FBF on the rear and if the rolling resistance is noticeably less than the FBR. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got the 4.0 FBR today.

bead to bead 215mm
    casing width 97mm
    knob width 99mm

Inflated with a tube at 15psi on a dt swiss br710 rim (76mm inner)

Although its exactly 4 inches I was hoping it would be slightly bigger. Knobs are also smaller and lower than the 4.8 version. Not sure it will as good in the snow, but I cant fit the bigger one on my bike

Hopefully it stretches overtime

WNC Native
    Mr_X40 - Can you snap a side shot and straight on shot of the tire mounted on your rim?

I'm running Mulefut rims and have been excited about the 4" versions from day one.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Here is the FBR 4.0 compared to a FBF 4.8.

I really wanted this tire to be taller with more volume. But the width is pretty much exactly 4.0 so can't really complain since it's accurate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR.-20160906_235902.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Anyone have the FBF(R) in 27.5 guise yet? Any comparisons to a Hodag?

WNC Native
    Thanks for the pics! That shot from above kinda makes it look like there isn't much rim protection with the 4s on a 80mm rim.

More narrow rim might be better for rocky & rooty trail use.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    Not available yet.

Live Free & Ride
    Heres the new Suzi Q wearing the FBF in 27.5 x 3.8. Sweet looking bike btw!

Rocky Mountain Launches Two 27.5? Fat Bike Models at Eurobike 2016 | Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Heres the new Suzi Q wearing the FBF in 27.5 x 3.8. Sweet looking bike btw!

Rocky Mountain Launches Two 27.5? Fat Bike Models at Eurobike 2016 | Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    Thanks! Looks like slightly less volume and shorter sidewall then the Hodag. Exactly what I'm looking for...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The 4.0 will be available in the UK January 2014.
    There have been good reports of their tracking through mud patches can anyone else vouch for them?
    How are they on the self steer front? Took my hodag off to try a Floater and then a knard and I had to check that my forks weren't broken my bike steered that bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks! Looks like slightly less volume and shorter sidewall then the Hodag. Exactly what I'm looking for...
    That pic is on the 65mm Mule Fut rim. I have one it at the shop and it is sick!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Any feedback as to what the FBF and FBR are like in soft snow? Are they able to cut it or are they really for dry/groomed trails?
    I'll second the request for snow experience.. Thinking of a FBF up front and a VanHelga out back for this winter... Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by rcclass View Post
    I'll second the request for snow experience.. Thinking of a FBF up front and a VanHelga out back for this winter... Thoughts??
    I preferred Bud/Lou to the FBF/FBR on snow. FBF/FBR feel "slipperier", regardless of temperature. Can't say for sure what's causing it, but I suspected the aggressive siping on Bud/Lou made them grip better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast