mtbr member

Maximum flotation!!!

O, just kidding with the pictures and title. The real title should be (Bud-Nate Comparison on Clownshoes). I received my latest Lefty complete with my new Bud and Clownshoe today from MCS. I mounted the rim and tire to the fork, inflated the tire to 8 psi. When I set it in the rack next to my wife's bike fitted with Nates on Clownshoe's I couldn't believe the difference in size. Not just width but the height also. I snapped a few pics to capture it. This may be a repeat of some one else's experience but I just wanted to share it.
    The Lefty is just strapped to the other handlebar to keep it lined up.
    Maximum flotation!!!-bud-nate-comparison-5.jpgMaximum flotation!!!-bud-nate-comparison-6.jpgMaximum flotation!!!-bud-nate-comparison-1.jpgMaximum flotation!!!-bud-nate-comparison-2.jpgMaximum flotation!!!-bud-nate-comparison-3.jpg

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    From a few of the pics, does the Nate sit a bit lower/Bud higher since the T fittings are on the sides of the center of its tread? The Bud is on top of the coupler? You are right tho, it is bigger in every way!

mtbr member
    You are correct. Even so it's only 1/8" or less. I didn't take any actual measurements but it is clearly bigger by more than an inch.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I know I'm moving to a 5 inch Bud/Bud/Lou platform, more so for my weight to float better. What a difference is makes! But all that extra rolling weight sure adds up!

Dr Gadget is IN
    You wouldn't happen to have a BFL for another compare? I'm trying to put as much tire as possible onto the back of a 170 Fatback - Lou is an interference fit, but BFL works. OTOH, I wish I had some more tread on the back - so I'm thinking about Nate, but don't have one to try.

BFL vs Nate on 100's?
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Plus that Bud will get bigger once it is ridden more and even more if you go tubless. I have the same setup from MCS and it is really nice. Enjoy!

-Nolan

Nuts
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have a BFL for another compare? I'm trying to put as much tire as possible onto the back of a 170 Fatback - Lou is an interference fit, but BFL works. OTOH, I wish I had some more tread on the back - so I'm thinking about Nate, but don't have one to try.

BFL vs Nate on 100's?
    I do have a BFL, but I can tell you that the Nate on the Clownshoe tubeless has just enough clearance on the back of a 170 907. When I ran the BFL's on Clownshoes tubed the rear tire rubbed the chain stays.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    I do have a BFL, but I can tell you that the Nate on the Clownshoe tubeless has just enough clearance on the back of a 170 907. When I ran the BFL's on Clownshoes tubed the rear tire rubbed the chain stays.
    Very good info thanks!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the comparison. I'm thinking of running Nates on a spare set of wheels, and was wondering how the size would compare.
    Glad to hear MCS got you sorted. Does this mean you're just down to waiting for your frame?

mtbr member
    The Heavy Ladies Club is delighted that there's a group of men who think fatter is better and want your address.

Thanks for that comparo btw.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Those pictures make me want a bike with two big fat wheels in the front!

Let the pedants tell me it wouldn't be bike then ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Thanks for the comparison. I'm thinking of running Nates on a spare set of wheels, and was wondering how the size would compare.
    Glad to hear MCS got you sorted. Does this mean you're just down to waiting for your frame?
    I was waiting to hear that question. You are the first one to wonder where the rest of the bike is! The answer is YES, I WANT MY NEW MCGRATH!!!!! Should be here soon??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post

Let the pedants tell me it wouldn't be bike then ...
    You might be on to something there. I wonder if MCS could weld another axle on the opposite side of a Lefty. Then you could just center the fork and have a double Bud front!!!!

turtles make me hot
    I"ve been thinking of welding two Marge Lites together for a 130mm wide rim.

Not sure I could make it clear a lefty though.
    I like turtles

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    You might be on to something there. I wonder if MCS could weld another axle on the opposite side of a Lefty. Then you could just center the fork and have a double Bud front!!!!
    Just rotate it around in the clamps....you won't have to worry about the brake because there will be one on the normal lefty side.
    mmmm....double buds double leftys.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was also shocked when I mounted a NFL on my red and compared it to a Nate. It wasn't that much wider but it was sure a lot taller.

Mount that new fork up and do a side by side comparo of Nate and bud?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Just rotate it around in the clamps....you won't have to worry about the brake because there will be one on the normal lefty side.
    mmmm....double buds double leftys.
    Ohh damn... Now I got my creative mind rolling and double Lefty fork sounds ridiculously awesome experiment.

You could do one Lefty as Left side fork with the hub facing away from the bike and then do another one as Right side fork with the hub facing away from the bike. Connect both to the same steerer tube via either stacked clamps or one big double lefty super custom clamp. You need custom clamps to even get close to this crazy trike so might as well go all out .

So if all kinks are worked out you could have two "fork" legs working independently of each other to allow leaning of the bike. This would require low fork pressures to achieve the leaning, but it could be a hysterical setup to see and test out. Running 2xClownshoe with 2xBud and ridiculously low pressure since you have two tires should provide some stupendous float .

Wouldn't fix the rear end sinking and could be a bit impractical, but if I had the opportunity I would probably try and make the setup happen for the showstopper value .

Fat & Single
    My HuDus are about 29"... my buds are 31" so there is no comparison.

We call the fat bikers here now running anything less than 4.8's.... roadies !!!
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post

We call the fat bikers here now running anything less than 4.8's.... roadies !!!
    Wait...roadies? shouldn't it be retro? 135 offset "skinny" 3.8's.....

on the way to retro grouch hahaha.
    Riding.....

turtles make me hot
    my hudus are about 29"... My buds are 31" so there is no comparison.

We call the fat bikers here now running anything less than 4.8's.... Roadies !!!
    lmao!
    I like turtles

Nuts

Hey thems fighten words in these parts Besides that's impossible I would need to loose 50 pounds and shave my head before ever being accused of being a roadie
    And I love beer!!

Laramie, Wyoming
    I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    Shhh... top-secret... but I heard Wal-Mart is working on a new dual-Bud front dual-Lou back... it will still be singlespeed and coaster brake. Only $249 and weight of 68 lbs.

Here is a grainy spy-shot:

Maximum flotation!!!-dual-bud.jpg