Dirt Huffer

Mavic Drift Winter cycling boots

Dirt Rag says these are warmer then Lake MXZ302's. Anyone have a pair that can comment?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Isn't the 302 dead, replaced by the 303, and, the Drift sure doesn't look very warm, they only say "Insulated", but to what degree? I doubt they are...

Drift - footwear - mountain bike - Mavic

Dirt Huffer
    I read they're Gore insulated or something.

Just looking for people who own these and what they think about them. And also what temp-degree they use these down to? I know they arn't completely water proof, but that doesn't bother me.

Last edited by AC/BC; 01-08-2013 at 04:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I would not buy a winter boot that relied on Velcro straps to hold it on. I had some Answer Kashmir boots that were similar. If you hike-a-bike for a bit, the snow will lift the velcro straps and get packed into them. The velcro is then rendered useless.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

Goat of Legend
    The drifts seemed built well for cold, rainy day rides. If your looking for a cold weather shoe but don't want to go quite to the boot style like 45North and Lake then consider the Northwave Celsius GTX or the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX. Both have Gore Tex and neoprene cuffs with the Arctic Version having a fleece liner for extra warmth.
    Myself and several friends have the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX and we all love them. I've ridden down to 9 degrees and crossed streams with them at that temp and have had warm, comfy feet on every ride.

Combine them with Sealskinz socks( I use a lightweight pair of summer socks under them for comfort as the Sealskinz feel clammy without) and increase the water proofing ability if you happen to get water higher then the shoe cuff.

Northwave Celsius Artic GTX

9 degrees, in a stream with happy feet

P1090490

LBS Manager
    Our sales rep brought some in the shop for us to check out. I was not impressed. They looked to be only marginally warmer than just putting a shoe cover on a normal shoe. If you have poor circulation like me then the only thing I found warm enough is the 45Nrth boot. I had the shimano MW81 water proof insulated winter boot last year and my feet were always cold. The lake shoe have a far better construction and appear to be a lot warmer than the Mavics but I have never tried them personally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought a pair late last fall when you couldn't Lakes were unavailable. Seems I read a couple of good reviews- and they were available. Whether they're as warm as the Lakes, I can't say. And everyone's perception of warmth varies. While cross country skiing I rarely have problems with cold feet. Riding is another matter. After some use I inserted Aerogel inner soles. Like mountaingoatepics I also use sealskinz and a SmartWool liner sock. That combination keeps me comfortable just below 30. Below that I add toe warmers. Then I'm good to around 20. Where I live, about 2 hours south of the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan, that temperature range accounts for 80% of my winter riding conditions. Any colder than that I put platforms on the bike and go with winter boots.

I generally ride by myself and consequently have sections of hike-a-bike because the trails I'm near aren't ridden during the winter and so I pack and repack sections to create loops. Never had any issues with the velcro. (The elastic cuff is also held closed with velcro- no problems there, either.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    The drifts seemed built well for cold, rainy day rides. If your looking for a cold weather shoe but don't want to go quite to the boot style like 45North and Lake then consider the Northwave Celsius GTX or the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX. Both have Gore Tex and neoprene cuffs with the Arctic Version having a fleece liner for extra warmth.
    Myself and several friends have the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX and we all love them. I've ridden down to 9 degrees and crossed streams with them at that temp and have had warm, comfy feet on every ride.

Combine them with Sealskinz socks( I use a lightweight pair of summer socks under them for comfort as the Sealskinz feel clammy without) and increase the water proofing ability if you happen to get water higher then the shoe cuff.

Northwave Celsius Artic GTX

9 degrees, in a stream with happy feet

P1090490
    WOW now that is what I am looking for ...warmth with waterproof...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyJ7 View Post
    WOW now that is what I am looking for ...warmth with waterproof...
    I have these too, the Artic model. It's an incredibly warm boot.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Elitest thrill junkie
    Stay in the stream for 2hrs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Isn't the 302 dead, replaced by the 303, and, the Drift sure doesn't look very warm, they only say "Insulated", but to what degree? I doubt they are...

Drift - footwear - mountain bike - Mavic

I got these boots last season and they are warm, but not super warm. For me, they are fine until it gets below 20 and then I use a mid-weight Pearl Izumi soft shell bootie over them. The only problem I have is that the ankle cuff is really tight. It barely reaches the velcro. I believe they have corrected this on newer models.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought these at the beginning of winter. My best ever winter riding gear purchase ever. They keep my feet dry in rain and warm (so far) down to the low teens. Cuffs aren't too small on mine. Perhaps I have a newer model. I think buying the right size is really important with winter cycling shoes. If your shoes are too tight and don't have good circulation, your toes will get cold no matter how much insulation you have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I too own a pair of Mavic Drifts, but do NOT own a pair of Lakes. I think depending on what part of the country that you live in, they might be ok. But for me, they definitely are NOT warm enough. I've been using them for the past month or so, definitely keep my feet dry no matter what the conditions... and YES they do have Gore in the shoe. Although my feet definitely stay dry, the Gore does nothing for insulation. I just bought a pair of Nordic booties to use over them, but haven't been able to use them yet. I've used them down to about 0-10 degrees and was VERY cold.

The Mavics definitely run on the small side, so if you're interested. size up 2 sizes for sure. I have no issues with the cuff being too small... a great fit in that aspect.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I too own a pair of Mavic Drifts, but do NOT own a pair of Lakes. I think depending on what part of the country that you live in, they might be ok. But for me, they definitely are NOT warm enough. I've been using them for the past month or so, definitely keep my feet dry no matter what the conditions... and YES they do have Gore in the shoe. Although my feet definitely stay dry, the Gore does nothing for insulation. I just bought a pair of Nordic booties to use over them, but haven't been able to use them yet. I've used them down to about 0-10 degrees and was VERY cold.

The Mavics definitely run on the small side, so if you're interested. size up 2 sizes for sure. I have no issues with the cuff being too small... a great fit in that aspect.
    that cold and colder, I can't use spd, then the flats come on. I have heated insoles that work for a while, actually they aren't too bad, but singles and negatives are flat territory IMO
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree with you Jayem, I have not installed cleats on these shoes. In the meantime, I've also bought a pair of Nordic boots... Fischer OTX boot. Fischer made a backcountry boot with this and then basically changed the sole into a winter boot. The boot offers a wool liner with a gator top. Vibram insole sticks well on flat pedals. They are under $100... a great option for those of you still looking for winter boots. One source that you can find them at is Akers-Ski.com. I'm loving mine!!!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I agree with you Jayem, I have not installed cleats on these shoes. In the meantime, I've also bought a pair of Nordic boots... Fischer OTX boot. Fischer made a backcountry boot with this and then basically changed the sole into a winter boot. The boot offers a wool liner with a gator top. Vibram insole sticks well on flat pedals. They are under $100... a great option for those of you still looking for winter boots. One source that you can find them at is Akers-Ski.com. I'm loving mine!!!
    Those Fischer boots look interesting. How much did you size up?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Plus 1 on the SealSkinz, they make all the difference when cold riding. Since they're completely waterproof, you don't need a waterproof boot. I've used them a couple times this winter when the temp was at 0 degrees F, and as long as you have air flow, you will be warm. Again, the key is to get your winter boots about 1.5 sizes larger than your riding shoes so you have loft in your socks. Last time I put SmartWool Merino socks against my skin, SealSkinz over that, and I didn't sweat as much as I did when the SealSkinz were against my skin.

With that combo of socks you can buy any shoe or boot you want, as long as it's big. You want grip, go with FiveTen DH high top shoes and that sock combo, it's almost like being clipped in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Drevil:

I sized up two sizes, as I generally put a wool insole inside my winter boots. It also leaves me room to add my footbeds when the weather gets warmer. Great boots and something that you can use for other uses.