Loser

Marge lites vs Carbon rims

Now that I know how much I like fat biking I am on a quest to build a lighter fat bike on a budget. I am waiting for the open mold frames to become available and will use that as a starting point (or that's the plan right now). I am aiming for a bike weighing in the 25-28 pound range.

I was following a few of those threads referencing carbon rims and I was disappointed to see the weight savings was so marginal compared to a Marge Lite.

I can see paying a little more for those Chinese rims if you save a lot of weight, but I don't get it for 60 grams or whatever of savings - just the risk of failure alone isn't worth that.

So the question - what's the most cost effective wheel build? Now I'm thinking that carbon may not be the answer.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm at 27.25# with clownshoes and Bud and Lou so you should not have a problem hitting your goal with narrower rims. Are you planning on sticking with 65mm or less or would you like wider if possible?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Now that I know how much I like fat biking I am on a quest to build a lighter fat bike on a budget. I am waiting for the open mold frames to become available and will use that as a starting point (or that's the plan right now). I am aiming for a bike weighing in the 25-28 pound range.

I was following a few of those threads referencing carbon rims and I was disappointed to see the weight savings was so marginal compared to a Marge Lite.

I can see paying a little more for those Chinese rims if you save a lot of weight, but I don't get it for 60 grams or whatever of savings - just the risk of failure alone isn't worth that.

So the question - what's the most cost effective wheel build? Now I'm thinking that carbon may not be the answer.
    John-

I just ordered up a Hope rear hub laced to a Marge Lite - I'm estimating a near pound less than my stock Fatty rear wheel right there. Not sure how the rim weight is, but just looking at the hub, you can tell it's a freakin' anvil.

Going to drill the front and setup both tubeless at the same time. You'll get way more weight loss out of a new rear wheel built vs. a front, IMO, at least if it's a crappy stock hub like mine. The upcoming On-One carbon Fatty fork ought to shed near a pound of my boat anchor stick fork. I'm shooting for sub-30# when all is done. It's right on 32# now, and that's with a Gravity Dropper post. I'd shed 2/3 a pound swapping in a light rigid post, but looooove the GD post way too much.

Re:carbon vs. alu? Seems as if most of the benefits are a supah' stiff wheel setup - sounds awesome on my hardtail and trail bike, but not sure if I'd even be able to notice the difference on the Fatty, running the fat tries and low pressures...

IMO, you 'll get way more bang-for-buck weight savings with bar/stem/seat/post. Same with drive-train and brake stuff - whenever anything dies or needs replacing, get the light stuff, yeah? I'm thinking some of the stock bits that came on your BD unit are pretty portly.

Believe it or not, smaller rotors than on the other bikes. So much traction with the huge tires, a 160F/140R combo works beautifully for me. Bolt on seat collar and bolt on front wheel vs. QR - small stuff, but it all adds up. Cut off excess steer tube and seat-post. A 1x setup can shed a chunk as well. Running a 28t direct mount narrow/wide ring and upper chain-guide setup on an X.9 crank is way lighter than what would have come on a stock Fatty full bike, and likely way lighter than your BD stock setup as well. Wolftooth do a 26t if you want to go lower.

I'd not mind a carbon frame either, but my small Fatty frame was a hair over 5# - not super model skinny, but not a tank either. I really like the fit and geometry of it, and will get more benefit out of lighter wheel setups than a lighter frame.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Loser
    I want at least 80mm rims. I don't want to be stupid with money or parts - a real fat bike, I'm going to try to not skimp on things too much. what frame are you running?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Help us out with the weights...for those of us who don't totally geek out on memorizing the numbers. The Marge Lite is around what? If I remember right, around 690 grms. The carbon Nextie/LB rims, which aren't even on the street to be weighed are said to be coming in between 550-600 grms, right? The HED rim is sub 500, but spendy. I'm guessing that there will be a carbon rim out within the next 6 months that should weigh around 550 and cost around $250-$300. Essentially, you're going to be paying an extra $100+ for somewhere in the vicinity of 100 grams in weight savings. If I'm way off, folks will come on and correct me.

So then you have to decide whether tubed or tubeless or which rim is better suited to what you want from a set-up. More weight could be saved there. My point: I think it's all about trade-offs and how much extra you think the advantages of carbon/tubelss are worth to you. Plus, how long are you willing to wait for the carbon rims? Oh, and there's 65mm vs. 80-90mm width, so with carbon you get more width for less weight. I suspect you know all this. So are you asking if there is a lighter, cheaper, 65mm rim than the Marge Lite? I can't think of any. Personally, if a rim maker can come up with a 65mm rim that comes in under 550 grams, and is not too far over the $250 mark, then I'd go that way.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-22-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Loser
    thanks for the input Scrub. I'm at 36lbs right now on my FB with a Specialized dropper post. I have gone back and forth on putting this one on a diet or starting over again with a new frame. I am in pure planning stages now, probably six months from even starting the build, but that doesn't stop me from building spreadsheets. I am certain I can save a lot of weight in the wheels, fork and cranks on this bike, but... hmmm more thinking.

Loser
    I'm an idiot and didn't realize the Marge Lite was 65mm, ugh. Ok I need to get some real data here. Tubeless, definitely tubeless.

Thanks. And yes, its all about compromises.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I want at least 80mm rims. I don't want to be stupid with money or parts - a real fat bike, I'm going to try to not skimp on things too much. what frame are you running?
    Yampa and if I where you I would wait to see what Stans comes out with, otherwise we have been getting Rolling Darryl's down to 720 pretty easy. So what you are planning should be close to mine I can post a pic and specs you you want some idea of what it takes to get it there.

Loser
    Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm an idiot and didn't realize the Marge Lite was 65mm, ugh. Ok I need to get some real data here. Tubeless, definitely tubeless.
    I wonder if someone has already started a carbon rim database. I know that the Chinese carbon rims are just starting to be announced, so not a lot of real-world data yet. I think an 80-90mm carbon rim is going to save you a ton of weight over the other 80-90mm options. So, yes, cheap carbon should be back at the top of your list.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Remember that with the carbon rims you won't require a rim strip, foam, tape and won't need as much sealant as long as your going tubeless. This will save you quite a few grams. Would drop at least 150g off each wheel on my current tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Apologize if you have seen this but it should give you some idea.
    Med Yampa
    Clownshoes/Bud and Lou
    Borealis hubs
    Hope Tech 3 183/160
    Next SL 170mm spindle (can save a bunch of cash and only add a little weight by skipping this)
    Easton Haven carbon bar and seatpost with Raceface Turbine stem
    WTB pure ti rail saddle
    Shimano 540's now
    xt 1x10 drivetrain 26t front
    tubeless
    27.25 without framebag

I know there are a lot lighter out there but for a fully obese this is doing ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marge lites vs Carbon rims-1531816_794422023916652_172048824_n.jpg  

Loser
    Thanks a bunch, that helps a lot. My current ride has a 2x9 on it, I ride mine in the dirt as well as the snow, I wonder if I can find a good combo at 1x10. I'll start a thread once I make a decision on a frame etc.