Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lord Thunderbottom

Marge lite tubeless issues?

I'm getting sick of thorns etc with my "flat bike"

I read thru a mess of write ups etc and decided to go with the gorilla tape and foam method

all went well, my beads snapped into place and the tires held air without sealant (not on the bike or ridden of course)

so I put 3 caps of stans in each tire, aired them up, did the stans dance, put them on the bike, gave them a good spin and then went to inflate them to around 20psi

goo all out the edges, not mass quantities but some bubbling so I thought I'd let them rest overnight and maybe it would seal up

no such luck, they hold 20-30 psi before they start to bubble (more than enough for a fat bike) but at 15psi plus my 250# of meat they are flat before I make it around the block

here's a sketch of my setup, black being the rim, green the tire bead, red is my tape and grey being the foam

the marge lite rims have holes on the bead shelf noted by the arrow, is this part of the problem?

should I apply another layer of tape over the top of the little lip that catches the tire bead to make it tighter and cover these holes?

Name:  4-22-2013 9-20-02 AM.png
Views: 676
Size:  2.4 KB

Laramie, Wyoming
    I always run my tape all the way over to the outside of the rim and then trim it flush with the outside of the rim. When the tire seats, it will pull the tape back in a little and it looks and seals well. I also spread some of the stans up around the tape before trying to air up the tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Marge lite tubeless issues?

tried tubless with no success didnt fancy going downhill and tyre pop off and ruin my rims. so got a thorn puncture again but this time got a shringe with needle put it in thorn hole and filled tube with 80mm stans ok so far might not work as good as tubeless but worth a try people say it works for thorn holes etc

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Like alphazz said, run the tape right up to the rim edge. Tire bead needs a bit more material to seal against. The tape on that bead shelf does it.

Lord Thunderbottom
    is 1 layer up there usually good enough or is 2 any better in this case?

I assume it would just be extra tight if I put on an extra?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sickmtbnutcase View Post
    Like alphazz said, run the tape right up to the rim edge. Tire bead needs a bit more material to seal against. The tape on that bead shelf does it.
    tried that and more cant seem to get this right with the on one fatty rims

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'll take a picture of my profile sometime soon- You don't need that indentation for the bead to sit in, just a gradual tightening as it sets. I'm making rims with that profile in near future fwiw.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I've used a single layer and I've used a double layer. I've even tried three layers. These tires are not all the same in how they fit. I had a Lou recently that was so tight that it almost took two people to get the tire on. If you are covering the small holes with it as well, I would like two layers. I like using the thick clear packing tape on the inside (over the foam or rim strip and over the little holes before putting on the gorilla tape).

Laramie, Wyoming
    stesteste, are your tires falling down off of the small shelf to the inside of the rim?

Lord Thunderbottom
    This will be my new plan of attack

again - black being the rim, green the tire bead, red is my tape and grey being the foam

Views: 665
Size:  2.6 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Marge lite tubeless issues?

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    stesteste, are your tires falling down off of the small shelf to the inside of the rim?
    yes mate they are

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    ah ok

ouch....
    I run my tape all the way to the outer edge, as mentioned above. I also do 2 layers of tape. (this is on RD's, but the ML looks like it should be similar, getting ready to mount up a new HUDU on a ML this week).
    Riding.....

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    This will be my new plan of attack

again - black being the rim, green the tire bead, red is my tape and grey being the foam

Views: 665
Size:  2.6 KB
    TitanofChaos, I would strongly suggest the following change to your new plan of attack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i only tape to the inner bed lip..........one big tip i can give.......after taping, but before going full tubeless with sealant, put the tube back in and inflate to 20-25 pounds for a day or 2.........it seems to seal the tape to the rim better.......then you can pull on bead off, pull the tube, put in the stem and sealant and reinflate........

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by killarbb View Post
    i only tape to the inner bed lip..........one big tip i can give.......after taping, but before going full tubeless with sealant, put the tube back in and inflate to 20-25 pounds for a day or 2.........it seems to seal the tape to the rim better.......then you can pull on bead off, pull the tube, put in the stem and sealant and reinflate........
    Why mess around with that? It's easy to just run the tape wild to the outside of the rim and trim it. No taking the tire off and putting it back on multiple times.

Lord Thunderbottom
    UPDATE -

I added another layer of foam to the center of the rim and I bought a roll of the fat (something like 4" wide) gorilla tape, it was wide enough to cover the entire width of the rim and go up the sides with one strip

I aired it up the front tire that was completely flat and it snapped into place with a lot more force but it still bubbled a little again at the bead

I got frustrated and just let it sit in the garage

went to check it out last night and it's holding about 20PSI so I guess the stans did it's thing and I'm good to go

guess I'll do the same with the rear if it actually goes flat, it's holding 15ish PSI just fine as is

Plan #123-D
    Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to trying it.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    UPDATE -

I added another layer of foam to the center of the rim and I bought a roll of the fat (something like 4" wide) gorilla tape, it was wide enough to cover the entire width of the rim and go up the sides with one strip

I aired it up the front tire that was completely flat and it snapped into place with a lot more force but it still bubbled a little again at the bead

I got frustrated and just let it sit in the garage

went to check it out last night and it's holding about 20PSI so I guess the stans did it's thing and I'm good to go

guess I'll do the same with the rear if it actually goes flat, it's holding 15ish PSI just fine as is

Did you find that is took a great deal of pressure to ride the bead up the inside of the rim and into the grove of the bead seating area? My Larry front tire is so tight on the Marge lite rim that I have to soap it up just to get it to seat WITH A TUBE using an air compressor.

I finally said screw it and put 3 scoops of stans in my tube. Hopefully it keeps the thorn flats at bay.

Thanks for the update. I've been following this thread after failing to get my marge lites to work tubeless. Let us know how it holds up after the first couple of rides.

Fat & Single
    The problem with gorilla tape is it moves, the glue on it does not stick and hold, when the foam compresses in the middle of the wheel under air pressure the tape creeps inwards and eventually air with the help of stans gets under it.

Apart from leaving a mess that takes over an hour to clean off the rim, 1 wrap of "Tough & Wide" 75mm Gorilla tape weights over 50g on its own.

Get some 3M 8898 strapping tape, I'm about 3 months in now on 2 sets of wheels and have zero issues.... after about 5 failed attempts using Gorilla crap.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Laramie, Wyoming
    ozzybmx, don't be offended, but I've had zero issues with using gorilla tape. Is it possible that your tape didn't overlap enough or wasn't wide enough?
    Last edited by alphazz; 04-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Get some 3M 8898 strapping tape, I'm about 3 months in now on 2 sets of wheels and have zero issues.... after about 5 failed attempts using Gorilla crap.
    Agreed.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    ozzybmx, don't be offended, but I've had zero issues with using gorilla tape. Is it possible that your tape didn't overlap enough or wasn't wide enough?
    Alphazz im not offended in any way, that's what forums are for, everyone has an opinion and my thoughts on Gorilla tape is just going on my experiences.

There's plenty of my pictures on tubeless threads here on the fatbike forum documenting the way I did it. Ive been using Gorilla for over 2 years now as it initially came with my ENVE wheels and its the same with them. I now use the 8898 tape on all my MTB and fatbike wheels and its loads better IMO.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have used 3M products for many years, including duct tape. I haven't found any other products that can match their quality. Last time I asked someone to get me duct tape, they got me Gorilla tape instead. It is a lot better than Duck, or some of the generic ones in strength, but it is too thick for most things I use it for, and doesn't adhere that well. I will look for that 8898. Where did you find it in a wider roll, Ozzy?

Fat & Single
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast