mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Marge or Darryl?

Hey all, roadie here looking to extend my season. Been riding dirt roads all winter on my 25 year old Rockhopper. Demoed a Pugsley and got hooked. We do have snow (maybe 18 inches on the ground right now). I'm not a trail rider, just the dirt roads and some less serious, fun rides. I committed today to a 9:Zero:7 190 and have pretty much everything spec'd out but I can't seem to decide between the Marge and Darryl rims. What are the pros/cons of wide and less wide?

Thanks for any insights!

Rob

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How much do you weigh and what are you planning to ride? More dirt roads and/or snow?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    If you're riding on snow...

Wider:
    Pro -> floats better
    Con -> N/A

Skinnier:
    Pro -> N/A
    Con -> floats not as well
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Depends on your orientation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Darryls with Bud and Lou tires for winter, and something like the Sterlings or Husker Du's for summer.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

turtles make me hot
    Darryl's a great all around rim.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Marge or Darryl?

Marge Lite will be better for everything except specific snow and sand conditions.

Your Best Friend
    Are you buying a mountain bike or a fatbike? Go as wide as you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the replies! I'm 180. Riding mostly dirt roads and snow covered dirt roads. A couple of gravel road races planned for March, did Iceman in November on the old Rockhopper. Definitely getting a fat tire, just not sure which rims yet. Keep the info coming!

Rob

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Since you say you are not a trail rider and it is dirt roads and snow covered dirt roads you will use the bike on (I'm making the assumption these roads are getting packed down by other traffic) then you will be happier with Marge. Also get an all-round tire like Husker Du - Bud/Lou/Nate will be overkill for your application.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Rob- for the type of riding you are doing, the Marge Lites will be fine. They are lighter and a little less expensive. For a race like Iceman, where there hasn't been snow in 14 years, the narrow rims work great, especially if you stick with 3.8-4.0 tires. If you decide to run 4.8 tires, then the Darryl's would be a better choice. Join us in the Fat Bike class for Iceman next year?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You're going to get 6 of one answer and half a dozen of the other on this thread. My vote is marge lite. You can still run 4.8 inch tires at 3 psi (if your frame permits and I am not saying it does or doesn't). The rim is lighter and the few extra mm of contact patch will matter in so few situations anyway. Plus, the rim will give a nicer tire profile on smaller tires for non snow or very packed snow riding.

In sum the benefits of the marge are weight savings, price, versatility. The benefit of the darryl is a little bit more contact patch/"float".

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    Just sayin'... One of my friends is currently riding a 190mm 907 with Darryls and Husker Dus. He's faster on this bike than his 29" Rockhopper. He weighs about 170 pounds.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just saying, I think he'd be faster on marge and hudus. If speed is the goal (not saying it is ).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    More good info, thanks everyone. Doesn't seem to be a crystal clear answer either way. I suspect I'll be fine on Marge but Darryl keeps calling. I think it's just that whole "fat bike gotta be fat" thing.

Rob

turtles make me hot
    I agree with Syntheticreality... Marges are lighter and faster.
    My thinking is this... If you're thinking about EVER putting 4.8" tires on your bike, the Darryls are the do it all rim. They put a nice profile on 3.8" Knards, Husker Du's and Bud and Lou. I don't know that I'd want 4.8 Bud and Lou on a Marge.
    I build wheels for a fatbike shop. Most people that are getting one set of wheels get Darryls.
    Since I'll be showcasing products and handiwork, I'm currently on Clownshoes with Bud and Lou but I'm also building a smaller set of wheels for the warmer weather.
    I weigh 265 so to me, Darryl is a smaller wheel... I've ridden bikes with Marge Lites shod with Husker Du's on loose sand and it actually floated me pretty well...
    If I were going to only run the smaller tires, like Knards and Huskers, I'd probably get the Marge Lites. If you want the higher volume tires, I'd get the Darryls.
    Build em up with DTSwiss Supercomps and aluminum nipples and 907 hubs and the bike will be light and snappy.
    I like turtles

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    What percentage of the year do you have snow? 5%? 20%? Sounds like whichever rim you get you'll be needing to compromise a certain % every year. If you don't get THAT much snow every year, I'd go with Marge and simply suffer during the snow time knowing you could be doing better with the Darryl. That's better in my mind than getting the Darryls and knowing that on the majority of your rides you could be faster and not working as hard if you had got the Marges

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Rob_S_ View Post
    Hey all, roadie here looking to extend my season. Been riding dirt roads all winter on my 25 year old Rockhopper. Demoed a Pugsley and got hooked. We do have snow (maybe 18 inches on the ground right now). I'm not a trail rider, just the dirt roads and some less serious, fun rides. I committed today to a 9:Zero:7 190 and have pretty much everything spec'd out but I can't seem to decide between the Marge and Darryl rims. What are the pros/cons of wide and less wide?

Thanks for any insights!

Rob
    I had 65mm rims and then upgraded to 82mm rims on a Pugsley.

If I could do it all over again I would upgrade to lighter 65mm rims.

I found my 4" tires didn't handle well on the 82mm rims on hard surfaces...so I bought some 5" tires to get a rounder profile and the handling back to where I want it. That's not a bad combo, but I would have been happier with the narrower rims and 4" rubber.

Although I use my Pugs for soft conditions [mostly sand] I also use it on a lot of harder dirt surfaces so I'd prefer a more versatile 65mm + 4" build.

Lesson learned - wider is not always better.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Get Marge Lites now, and then when the 80-100mm really nice carbon rims come out, get another wheelset with those.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I started 3 years ago on original Marges (not lite), went with holy RDs on my next bike, then switched to MLs when I built up a new wheelset. I prefer the MLs. For the record, I ride dirt way more often than snow, and I like a light bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I had 65mm rims and then upgraded to 82mm rims on a Pugsley.

If I could do it all over again I would upgrade to lighter 65mm rims.

I found my 4" tires didn't handle well on the 82mm rims on hard surfaces...so I bought some 5" tires to get a rounder profile and the handling back to where I want it. That's not a bad combo, but I would have been happier with the narrower rims and 4" rubber.

Although I use my Pugs for soft conditions [mostly sand] I also use it on a lot of harder dirt surfaces so I'd prefer a more versatile 65mm + 4" build.

Lesson learned - wider is not always better.
    Greetings all! I'm new to the forum and have been lurking for a while as I gather and contemplate info and opinions. I think I have enough info now to actually post some relevant questions to the forum.
    I'm about to place my order for a custom Pugsley, tailored to fit my needs.
    This thread is exactly what I needed to read!

I'm just an old beach bum/ surf dog who recently chugged down the fat cool aide after taking a spin on my friend's Pugsly. I also test rode one of those fat cruisers, the Sun Spider AT. (No comparison...2-spd kickback/ coaster brake hubs suck!).
    Don't like derailleurs on the sandy beaches here, so I'm going with a custom wheel build with an Alfine 8 spd rear end.
    Doesn't snow much here on the WA coast beaches, and I'll be riding this thing mainly on the sand, but also some trails. Might be doing some "adventure biking," too.

I was wondering about which rims would be best for my beach and trail riding, and I think vikb nailed it for me. Thanks! I've read thru most of vikb's threads and posts of his experience with IGH's on his Pug.
    For me, this is almost the final piece of the puzzle. I think I'm good to order!
    Rolling with the Marge Lites!
    Tires for the beach...I think I'm going with the Larry's for starters, unless the collective wisdom of the forum convinces me of a better all-round beach tire. My buddy has extra tire sets that I can try out, including some of those 4" Sun Spider tires.
    Of course, I still need to discover which handlebars I like best, and maybe even get a new seat, but those are personal fit choices.

One of these days, I hope to be able to contribute something of value to the forum. Right now, I'm just glad to be able to tap into the passion.

mtbr member
    ML's will be the best all rounder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    ML's will be the best all rounder.
    I suspect that this is good info for myself, as I am 6' and weigh 160 lbs. I can vizualize my future Pugs taking over the stable and kicking out the lesser, tired & old beach steeds.

I've ridden an old English junker with 3-spd Sturmey-Archer and 1 5/8" tires on the packed sand below the tide line, and had no problems. Kinda limited, though.

My "old blue" Schwinn Custom 5-spd Cruiser (talk about a cheesy derailleur!) doesn't see the sand any more... gawdawful heavy metal beast that it is... I only keep it around for my brother to ride on the paved bike trails here when he visits. He enjoys riding it, and grins ear-to-ear. He lives in a hilly area with narrow shoulders on the winding roads, and only rides when he visits me, since its pretty flat out here. He has an artificial hip.

mtbr member
    nm...wrong thread