Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou Mastodon?

437K views 2K replies 286 participants last post by  Donkeeboy 
#1 ·
I've heard that Treks are being spec'd with this new fork from Manitou. Has anyone heard any details?

#166 ·
Yep and then roll in 15% sales tax, air-freight and customs clearance fees. Stuff gets expensive here. That's about $NZ100-200 cheaper than an RCT3 Pike.

Our wages don't scale up to match either.

We'll see how demand goes and if anyone wants to wait 2 months for cheaper sea-freight.

#187 ·
On looking at the Manitou Website they have a two travels and two wheel sizes for the Comp and Pro. Just confirming that the 27.5 are the extended ride height rather than the 26? It's a bit confusing because they have 27.5 listed on both sizes but the buy locally does not state std vs extended just 26 vs 27.5.

-Extended ride height versions fit up to 26×5.15” / 27.5×4.5” tires
-Standard ride height versions fit up to 26×4” / 27.5×3.8” tires

#200 ·
To clarify:

26" x 120mm non-extended travel fork fits up to 26 x 4"/27.5 × 3.8 tires and is adjustable ftom 100mm to 140mm travel.

27.5" x 120mm extended travel fork fits up to 26 x 5.15/27.5 × 4.5 and is adjustable from 100mm to 140mm.

So here's my question: a 26 x 4.5 is the same height as a 27 x 3.8, and damn near the same height as a 29 x 3.

If I don't plan to run anything taller than a 29 x 3, which has a diameter of ~760mm, can I run the 26" non extended fork?

My buddy spoke with Manitou today, they said the forks are on the way to the distributors (QBP, etc).

#201 ·
So if the standard can only fit 26 x 4 tires, it's smaller than a bluto? Who's gonna want that? Maybe the few people with Full Suspension who are convinced they never want options? I'm guessing either the website is wrong or they developed the fork 5 years ago when manufacturers were telling buyers that 4" rear ends is all they need...

Since I have a Farley, there's no question what to get. Even if my primary tire is a 27.5 x 3.5, I want to be able to slap on 4.5's for the occasional trip to the sand dunes or early winter before I change back to rigid.

#237 ·
I have the ability to run >4.0 tires on my hardtail fatty with bluto and honestly for 90% of winter riding it just isn't needed. Maybe it's needed for airing way down on the beach... but that's not something I do (despite living ~10 miles from the Atlantic ocean).

Jumbo Jim 4.0s for year-round riding pleasure.

Only reason to swap the tire would be to put studs on for very icy winter riding.

FWIW, I don't think the 27.5/4.5 fits the Farley EX rear end (although I could be wrong on that).

These ultra-wide tires are over-rated in my opinion. (and I have a set of studded Snowshoe XLs and a set of Minion FBF/FBR 4.8s).

#204 ·
The extended version has 20mm more axle to crown height the STD version. I generally assume that 20mm more a-c results in approximately 1º slacker angles.

RS lists the 100mm Bluto with an A-C of 511 or the same as the 100mm Mastadon STD. But if you want to run bigger than a 27.5x3.8 Hodag on your Farley, you'll need the EXT fork with 531mm A-C.

I've got a Farley 9.6 and would be happy with a slacker headtube. But I'm not crazy about the resulting slacker seat tube angle. I need to check how much room there is to slide my seat forward. That's an easy way to change the effective ST angle if it doesn't hurt your fit.

This is taken from the Mastadon manual.
Text Colorfulness White Line Style

From Rockshox Bluto specs online
Text Photograph White Line Font

FWIW, I'm not a HUGE fan of Manitou's abbreviations. If you quit extending (EXT) it, maybe you'll end up with fewer STDs. I briefly forgot this wasn't the pink bike punfest....

#208 ·
Okay guys, here's the deal with the tyre size and std vs extended.

The max tyre size is dictated by the number of spacers you have under the bottom-out bumpers. More spacers means the crown stops higher up and you can run a bigger tyre safely.
The max height of the fork depends on std vs ext and can be reduced by spacers under the top-out bumpers if it's too tall for your frame.
The travel you get is the distance between top-out and bottom-out.

So if you want to run tyres a bit bigger than standard, you can add spacers under the bottom-out bumpers (10mm increments). But this will reduce travel. Which may or may not be a problem for you.

It's all shown in the pictures in the travel change manual (page 9). But there is the complication of different stanchion lengths: https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Mastodon-ProComp-Travel-Change-Guide.pdf

Bottom-Out Std Version:
5 spacers for 80-100mm.
1 spacer for 120-140mm.
1 spacer for 150mm.

You can run 20mm bigger (diameter) tyres by fitting 1 extra 10mm spacer to the above numbers. Travel is reduced by 10mm.
You can run 40mm bigger (diameter) tyres by fitting 2 extra 10mm spacers to the above numbers. Travel is reduced by 20mm. This gives you same clearance as EXT version, but 20mm less travel.

Look at it this way. EXT is a 20mm taller fork. You can adjust the tyre clearance of STD to the same point, but you'll be 20mm short on travel.

#213 ·
Yah basically was think this as well, i believe yah will have to be set at 80mm or at 100 and have it a bit slacker.

Stock is 490mm, its 531mm for 100mm, so 506mm with sag.

501mm for 80mm with sag is 480mm

Ones a bit high, ones a bit low....

#219 ·
Structurally Comp has 6061 stanchions instead of 7075 so they are thicker wall to get the same strength. Result is a bit more weight (200g)

Comp uses the simpler ABS+ damper which is revalvable internally but doesn't have the same external HSC adjustment. The air spring is also different, but I don't know exactly what the differences is. It's being called "Expert Air" which is a new one to me.

#218 ·
"I'm just a roadie riding on dirt."

This describes me precisely. I bought a fatbike a few months back (Framed Minnesota 3.0) to provide me more outdoor cycling opportunities during winter, fell in love with trail riding, and added a Bluto.

The Bluto suits me quite well. I've not had issues others have described. But, I'm a neophyte who most likely wouldn't recognize bicycle suspension nuances, even if given warning.

Though I'm an older fellow (early 60s), I've taken to heart the road cyclist's mantra that strength to weight ratio is king. So, weighing fully wet at less than 150 lbs, I'm probably not much of a challenge to mountain bike suspension. I also, as a newbie, appreciate the simplicity of the Bluto: set sag and rebound and go.

In any event, I've been very happy with my Bluto.

#222 ·
Thanks man. Found 'em on BTI. Gonna order one as soon as it's in stock. Thanks again.

I'm thinking about the standard version, in 120mm on my beargrease. It might be a bit overkill, but I like the idea of being able to go 27.5x3 with the 120mm travel and keep a decent BB height.

#633 ·
Hey, did you end up putting the 120mm Mastadon on your beargrease? Is your frame carbon? I want to do the same but salsa voids their warranty if you go bigger than 100mm on the fork. Looking for any feedback on your experience.

Anyone else in ear shot of this with a carbon beargrease, chime in as well.

Thanks, Wil

#223 ·
Saw the Mastadon in the wild today... man o man... a REAL fatbike trail fork!

If I had a spare minute I would have taken it out for a spin in the lot but the kids were in the car and we had a pressing engagement with a hiking trail/

This was the 150MM version... only one of two in existence. Mounted to the new Foes Mutz 150.

The thing looks burly and very much trail worthy.

Me to my Bluto... "Bye, Felicia."

That is, as soon as I can get my grubby little mitts on one.