Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou Mastodon?

436K views 2K replies 286 participants last post by  Donkeeboy 
#1 ·
I've heard that Treks are being spec'd with this new fork from Manitou. Has anyone heard any details?

#134 ·
Dougal -
I rigged this version up from a standard Manitou 3/comp, an even wider '95 crown would definitely be better even. My fat Manitou (aka dumbo?) has 92.5mm of clearance between the stanchions, just barely enough for a 3.8 larry tire (88mm carcass width on a 44mm snowcat rim). I had to modify the fork pushrod and elastomers/springs to bottom out before the tire hits the fork crown and also to extend the fork a bit when uncompressed. I transplanted the arch brace from a Manitou 1 fork (significantly taller) onto the Manitou 3 lowers in order to gain enough brace clearance for the taller tire. Installing/removing the wheel requires partially deflating the tire to get it past the cantilever brake bosses.

The forks coil spring has no dampening, I would like add the EPC dampening from a Manitou 4 but have not yet sourced an EPC donor. I would also like to try fabricating an entirely new fork dropout incorporating disk-brake mounts and more fork rake (these early manitous only had around 38mm or rake, generates excessive fork trail with a slack HTA.)

My Manitou dumbo suspension setup admittedly has its limitations but I've had it on my fat bike for almost 5 years now and it had been dependable, works reasonably well.

#143 ·
I'm trying to remember how long it was before you could buy the Magnum 29+ fork after the Stache was available. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was available separately shortly after the Stache.....?

#146 ·
Manitou takes on fat bike forks with the Mastodon - BikeRadar

Mastodon features

Cold weather tested at -15C / 0F and colder temperatures
34mm stanchions
80, 100, 120, 140, 150mm travel options
Fits 26 x 5.15in and 27.5 x 4.5in tires
Two ride heights: standard as direct replacement and extended for increased tire room
Pro weight for 26in / 100mm travel: 2,210g
Comp weight for 26in / 100mm travel: 2,430g

So wide

Even off of a bike it was clear from the giant crown and prairie-wide stance that the Mastodon was designed to fit even the widest-of-the-wide fat bike rubber.

The chassis can easily surround the largest tires available; everything from Vee Rubber's 26 x 5.05in 2XL Snowshoes to Bontrager's Hodag 27.5 x 4.5in. There's also plenty of room for 29 x 3.0in plus tires.
Dialed damping

The Mastodon uses damping technology derived from its well-received Mattoc and Dorado forks.

The forks are upgradable as well, accepting Manitou's Infinite Tuning Rate kit for additional mid-stroke control, and all of the seals, oils and internals are built to work in freezing temperatures thanks to Manitou's expertise in snowmobile racing.

Stiffness claims

Through the use of large 34mm stanchions and Manitou's classic reverse arch, both front and back and torsional stiffness is claimed to be improved over the Bluto. Manitou's testing puts these numbers at 26 percent and 25 percent respectively.
Mastodon pricing and availability

Mastodon Comp: $649.99 with availability now
Mastodon Pro: $849.99 with availability now

#163 ·
$1100, that's pricey.

I suppose that will keep the lookie loos from getting in on the first run. It was $900 for the early Wren, $750 for the early Bluto, it seems the ante continues to increase.

Anyone know if Fox or SRAM are planning to announce a fat fork?