Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou Mastodon?

436K views 2K replies 286 participants last post by  Donkeeboy 
#1 ·
I've heard that Treks are being spec'd with this new fork from Manitou. Has anyone heard any details?

#46 ·
I saw it in person at Winterbike up in Burke VT this year. Comfortably held a 2xl.
The guy riding it said it would blow through it's travel pretty easily - which is what I found with the Manitou Minute 29 fork I had a few years ago. Maybe that can be fixed with some volume adjustment some how. Looked good, and super wide.

#52 ·
to add more fuel to the fire:

just got off the phone with a manufacturer regarding tech questions on a frame. we started talking about suspension fork compatibility, and he inadvertently dropped "mastodon" into the conversation. i asked him what he knew, and he started saying it is bigger then previous forks and may have clearance issues on some frames. i then pressed him for more info, and he then said he knew nothing...

#80 ·
That seems whacked as ****, the MC2 has the ABS+ knob and the ABS+ has the MC2 knob? Maybe the tapewall version with the cartridge damper is 200g heavier, but that seems suspect too. And they don't even get HBO.

#85 ·
Subscribing

A really good fork and great tires in the 3.5-3.8 range on carbon rims on a dually "fat bike" is going to be the magical unicorn rainbow carpet ride. We're gonna look at 2.8s and call them skinny.

Trek is going in the right direction with the 27.5s and lowering/stiffening the sidewalls.