Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    You can't figure that out?
    If you take out too many spacers, the longer air shaft could hit the IVA.
    It changes the air volume...which may or may not be a good thing.
    And finally....the tire could hit the crown

If anyone with a STD wants to measure the length of their air shaft......lmk
    Well doesn't that effectively prevent shortening travel via spacers? How would the pump method you described work in long-term usage?

I'm a total suspension fork newbie trying to decide between 100mm and 120mm models...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    I'm thinking your right, but all I asked Manitou was "what is the spacer config to lower the Pro EXT 120mm to 100mm" and that was his reply.

Dougal, do you have any thoughts on how to space it down to 100?

I'm thinking 2 more spacers under air piston for a total of 5 would do it and increase negative volume.

Thanks!
    Yes. Exactly that.

For the lower spacers. You can add but not subtract.

Sent with 100% recycled electrons.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teemui View Post
    Well doesn't that effectively prevent shortening travel via spacers? How would the pump method you described work in long-term usage?

I'm a total suspension fork newbie trying to decide between 100mm and 120mm models...
    I'm talking about the bottom spacers. You change travel with the top spacers.
    What do you mean by "long term"? Worse case scenario is you have a attach the pump once in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I plan on taking mine( 120 ext) apart again next week to play with travel.

I also ordered a 120 STD but recieve another EXT

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I plan on taking mine( 120 ext) apart again next week to play with travel.

I also ordered a 120 STD but recieve another EXT
    What tire size do you want to drive?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatpeak View Post
    What tire size do you want to drive?
    What's it to you? Do you even have one of these?
    Have you opened one up?
    I have 27.5x.3.8
    I have 26x4.8
    I have 29x3

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    A customer is running a 4.8 Jumbo Jim on a STD 120mm, he claims no issues with fit, anyone can confirm that? He did not have any pics!

Here is my Mastodon STD with Jumbo Jim 4.8 on Marge Lite rims, exactly 26 mm clearance as recommended!

Name:  Mastodon STD Jumbo Jim 4.8.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  19.7 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencydoc View Post
    Here is my Mastodon STD with Jumbo Jim 4.8 on Marge Lite rims, exactly 26 mm clearance as recommended!

Name:  Mastodon STD Jumbo Jim 4.8.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  19.7 KB
    Ummm....you are measuring the arch....which is a constant.
    The clearance issue ( or nonissue) is with the crown when compressed

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yes, exactly, with the STD fork the crown can come below the arch so Manitou says you need 26 mm of clearance between the tire and the arch to avoid the crown hitting the tire at maximum compression. With the EXT fork which doesn't come below the arch as far you only need 6 mm clearance.

https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...-TIRE-SIZE.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, exactly, with the STD fork the crown can come below the arch so Manitou says you need 26 mm of clearance between the tire and the arch to avoid the crown hitting the tire at maximum compression. With the EXT fork which doesn't come below the arch as far you only need 6 mm clearance.

You should still air down the fork and check clearance.

Can you measure the diameter of the JJ 4.8, I'm curious if it's the same size as a Minion 4.8

mtbr member
    May 2017

Manitou recommends for 4.8 inches tire, the EXT variant. No STD variant.

The previous series of the fork has a mistake, Manitou fix the problem the fork for free.

Here you can read it: Das Manitou Mastodon Update bringt den vollen Federweg zur√ľck!

The suspension fork does not use the entire spring travel. This is the mistake, Manitou repairs the free. All the new fork will no longer have the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatpeak View Post
    Manitou recommends for 4.8 inches tire, the EXT variant. No STD variant.

The previous series of the fork has a mistake, Manitou fix the problem the fork for free.

Here you can read it: Das Manitou Mastodon Update bringt den vollen Federweg zur√ľck!

The suspension fork does not use the entire spring travel. This is the mistake, Manitou repairs the free. All the new fork will no longer have the problem.
    The bottom-out bumper was too firm?
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

You want the space between the tire and the crown.
    The space between the arch is always the same and never an issue.

mtbr member
    What air pressures are you guys running? I'm 185 and run 70psi in a 120 STD Pro and I'm not useing very much travel. Its way less than they recommend.
    Last edited by kntr; 06-23-2017 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    What air pressures are you guys running? I'm 185 and run 70psi in a 120 STD Pro and I'm not using very much travel. Its way less than they recommend.
    I'm 165ish and run 47psi.
    Don't get hung up on the psi number....shock pump gauges ( or any cheap gauge) are not super accurate

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Finally managed to get a Mastodon delivered to the UK. Comp, EXT, 120mm. I'm keen to extend it to 140mm travel. Any of you early adopters opened up a Comp to adjust it? Have seen Manitou's service document for the Pro but can't find one for the Comp. I have the tools. Will just ride it at 120mm for now until I can find specific instructions for the Comp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Did you get it in from Fatbike24.de?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No, but now I wish I had. I bought it from US ebay because I was in a hurry, but the Global Shipping Programme is a bit slow. I bought the Comp version which FaTbike24.de don't seem to have yet, but comparing prices on the Pro they are cheaper. Ho hum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mind you, I wouldn't want to have missed all the fun of tracking it from Florida to Georgia, Kentucky, Paris, London, Warrington and Edinburgh. Now I know why they called it the Global Shipping Programme.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brownmruk View Post
    Mind you, I wouldn't want to have missed all the fun of tracking it from Florida to Georgia, Kentucky, Paris, London, Warrington and Edinburgh. Now I know why they called it the Global Shipping Programme.
    Ha! Ha! designer forks with all those locations! according to an email I got from hotlines, they are available the end of June to order in the UK and will be £749 RRP for the Pro version so I'm going to hang fire ordering as they work out at £806 from Germany.....might be the first in the UK with them on a Farley EX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Finally managed to get a Mastodon delivered to the UK. Comp, EXT, 120mm. I'm keen to extend it to 140mm travel. Any of you early adopters opened up a Comp to adjust it? Have seen Manitou's service document for the Pro but can't find one for the Comp. I have the tools. Will just ride it at 120mm for now until I can find specific instructions for the Comp.
    I haven't opened the Comp....but from the parts diagram, it's the same procedure as Pro for travel change. The travel limiters are at the top of the air shaft.

mtbr member
    I know a lot of people have run the Bluto and upgraded to the Mastodon but...

Has anyone tried the 34 Fox 27.5+ and the Mastodon? I know a few guys run the Fox with 4.0 Van Helgas. How do the two forks fompare?

This place needs an enema
    I know a lot of people have run the Bluto and upgraded to the Mastodon but...

Has anyone tried the 34 Fox 27.5+ and the Mastodon? I know a few guys run the Fox with 4.0 Van Helgas. How do the two forks fompare?

Here: Big Wheel Building: Manitou Mastodon review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Thanks. Did you write that? How is the clearance with a 4.0 Van Helga? I like that the Fox is 1.1 lbs lighter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks. Did you write that? How is the clearance with a 4.0 Van Helga? I like that the Fox is 1.1 lbs lighter.
    The info you seek is in the article:

"I really liked everything about this fork, but wished for more tire clearance -- both to be able to run more meat, but also to have some wiggle room when rides occasionally got sloppy. Pretty minor niggles on an otherwise very, very good fork.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The info you seek is in the article:

"I really liked everything about this fork, but wished for more tire clearance -- both to be able to run more meat, but also to have some wiggle room when rides occasionally got sloppy. Pretty minor niggles on an otherwise very, very good fork.'
    I saw that but Id like to see some pics.

Does anyone have pics of the clearance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

You're asking the wrong questions.

The two forks are equal in terms of performance, but the Fox costs more and requires a hub change. If you end up wanting to run a tire slightly wider than the Hodag or you ride in sticky snow or mud, you're SOL.

Personally, I think the Mastodon is a better fork, but there is a weight penalty. Of course, talking weight in the same sentence as a full suspension fat bike is kinda​ silly.

I'm sure there are pics in the Mutz thread, Mike probably has some too.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 06-27-2017 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I haven't opened the Comp....but from the parts diagram, it's the same procedure as Pro for travel change. The travel limiters are at the top of the air shaft.
    Yes, but for example, will the oil volumes and spec be the same? I'll keep trying to get hold of the proper manual.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yes, but for example, will the oil volumes and spec be the same? I'll keep trying to get hold of the proper manual.
    The oil height is listed in their oil height manual.
    You don't have to do anything with oil height to change the travel.
    But...if you're that scared to open it up, go ahead and wait.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bucksaw got totally Foxed up

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    From that thread:

"Not my pic but from Likin' Biking's facebook page. They built up a Mutz with whiskeys and Van Helgas. Says 4mm of clearance. "

Less than a 1/4" per side, just right for riding a sand bikepath, but beware of gravel!

Honestly, there is no reason to run a Fox now that the Mastodon is available... unless it's an appearance thing; you don't want people to know that you're really fat

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The oil height is listed in their oil height manual.
    You don't have to do anything with oil height to change the travel.
    But...if you're that scared to open it up, go ahead and wait.
    Thanks - I hadn't seen the oil height manual. I was assuming the oil volume would need adjusted to maintain the correct height measurement after the travel had been changed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For anyone interested in the Comp version (I know most of you have the Pro), I opened mine up today to extend it from 120mm to 140mm travel. Two points of note:
    Firstly the Manitou cassette tool I bought didn't have a big enough opening to fit over the rebound damper shaft. I had to grind it back by about 2mm to make it fit. The rebound damper shaft is about 13mm diameter while the air spring rod is nearer 10.5mm. I don't know if this issue is specific to the Comp or the particular tool that I received. It wasnít necessary to remove the rebound damper to change the travel. The travel change guide seems to suggest that you need to change clips on the rebound damper as well as the air spring but my damper didnít have any clips at the top anyway.
    Secondly, I checked the oil level in the damper side with the travel extended by 20mm and the oil was 12mm too low. I didnít check it before I started so I donít know if it was correct to begin with. Iím not sure how sensitive the damper is to this degree of change, but I topped it up anyway.
    Last edited by brownmruk; 07-01-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: corection

mtbr member
    Hey,

Has anyone here had any luck purchasing the Mastodon in Canada? a couple of months ago all my local bike shops in Calgary were very keen to help me get it in but now they are not interested at all

mtbr member
    May 2017
    My local shop in Edmonton ordered me one as soon as they came on the market, but the distributor told them that they sold out immediately, so I bought mine online from the US--Universal Cycles got it to me in three working days
    I just got back from a 7 day tour in Fernie, Nipiska, Canmore and Kananaskis. I had the travel in my STD at 120 on my Bucksaw and had no problems climbing (except for my legs) and I am going to see how it feels at 140 as I could have used a little more travel on the descents.

mtbr member
    My local shop in Edmonton ordered me one as soon as they came on the market, but the distributor told them that they sold out immediately, so I bought mine online from the US--Universal Cycles got it to me in three working days
    I just got back from a 7 day tour in Fernie, Nipiska, Canmore and Kananaskis. I had the travel in my STD at 120 on my Bucksaw and had no problems climbing (except for my legs) and I am going to see how it feels at 140 as I could have used a little more travel on the descents.

Thanks a lot for the response emergencydoc. I shall look into Universal Cycles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Any word on if the mastodon fits a surly wednesday without the knobs or rear facing brace hitting the downtube?

mtbr member
    Does anyone wanna sell their grey Mastodon decals? I need a set. Message me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Does anyone wanna sell their grey Mastodon decals? I need a set. Message me.
    You can have​ mine if I can find them.

mtbr member
    has anyone installed one on a trek farley 5 or 7? how is the down tube clearance?
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    has anyone installed one on a trek farley 5 or 7? how is the down tube clearance?
    I compared it to my 7 with a reps bike who had a salsa blackborow and it looked to have plenty of clearance. Dont actually have one yet though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have seen the pro comes with extra gray decals. Does anyone know if the comp gets extra decals as well? If so what color?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a Pro 120mm that will be being fitted in the next week, I'll let you know how I get on.

mtbr member
    Anyone have grey decals I can buy? Help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I fitted the Mastodon 120mm Pro Ext to my Farley 5, it fits no problems, clears the frame on full lock either way, first impressions are .....Wow.....amazing, only done a very short ride but can already see a massive improvement over what I had on!!! Can't wait to get it out on some serious trails :0)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Well if this fits a Farley 5, shouldnt it fit a 2017 EX8? I want one before our trip to Moab in March.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good job!

It really is a killer fork, no reason to not ride one, it's better in every way when compared to a Bluto. The Mastodon is a really good fork, period.

The only thing I could see someone complaining about is weight; though to be honest, it's not heavy for it's size. In that case there are plenty of lighter weight options such as rigid and Lauf.

Quote Originally Posted by daver38 View Post
    I fitted the Mastodon 120mm Pro Ext to my Farley 5, it fits no problems, clears the frame on full lock either way, first impressions are .....Wow.....amazing, only done a very short ride but can already see a massive improvement over what I had on!!! Can't wait to get it out on some serious trails :0)

mtbr member
    thanks for confirming
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Im use to a fox 32 sc performance. What fork would i like? The comp or pro?
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Im use to a fox 32 sc performance. What fork would i like? The comp or pro?
    I can't think of a good reason to get a comp, the price difference is insignificant in the greater scheme of things. Get the Pro if you have the cash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's worth the money. Way better than my bluto ever was

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by travisjgood View Post

Looks good. How much travel? 120mm? The STD or the EXT variant?
    I like the grey decals, very nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    100mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ext

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by travisjgood View Post
    It's worth the money. Way better than my bluto ever was

It's such a great fork, I'm honestly surprised it took so long for someone to build it.

My Lenz Fatillac gets here next week, my Mastodon EXT will be growing ​to 150mm, review to follow.

Flying Sasquatch
    My Lenz Fatillac gets here next week, my Mastodon EXT will be growing ​to 150mm, review to follow.

Show off.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Did it raise the front end by much? What did it replace, rigid fork or bluto?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    Show off.....
    I've been wanting one since Mikesee's first post on the prototype 26" Fatillac, biding my time until a decent fork was available. All I can say is: it's about damn time!

Transparent bronze over nuclear, 150mm of goodness, super short chainstays, it's gonna be a beast!

Don't hate me because my bike is beautiful

mtbr member
    You've got the longer stanchions?

I've been conversing with the Engineers at Hayes this past week. We had our first Mastodon through.

Std height Pro can go to 150mm just by removing spacers. But the Ext Pro needs longer stanchions.
    The 140mm published works for all. 150mm doesn't.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    You've got the longer stanchions?

I've been conversing with the Engineers at Hayes this past week. We had our first Mastodon through.

Std height Pro can go to 150mm just by removing spacers. But the Ext Pro needs longer stanchions.
    The 140mm published works for all. 150mm doesn't.
    Bummer news, but thanks for the heads up​.

That makes sense if the stanchions are the same, then the EXT is burning an extra 10mm or so.

I may end up with​ an STD on the Lenz if my taller wheels don't fit.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Is anyone riding the standard (narrow?) Mastadon with 29+ ?
    I am looking at a fork for my green Krampus.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not narrower.

EXT has a longer stanchion so it will clear taller tires, ~20mm.

This is not the fork for a dedidicated 29+, waaay to wide and A-C wil make your hardtail Krampus handle like doo doo. You must have the EXT for 29+, STD will not clear.

Get a regular plus fork, Pike, Fox, Manitou

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Any word on if the mastodon fits a surly wednesday without the knobs or rear facing brace hitting the downtube?
    I'd really like to know this as well if anyone has had any experience or knows the dimensions.

mtbr member
    Not narrower.

EXT has a longer stanchion so it will clear taller tires, ~20mm.

This is not the fork for a dedidicated 29+, waaay to wide and A-C wil make your hardtail Krampus handle like doo doo. You must have the EXT for 29+, STD will not clear.

Get a regular plus fork, Pike, Fox, Manitou
    EXT doesn't have longer stanchions, just longer rods. These will be available as spares later, but maybe not just yet.

To run the EXT at 150mm you also need longer stanchions (different CSU). It'll go to 140mm stock.
    Std can run 150mm stock by just removing top-out spacers. I did one yesterday.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    EXT doesn't have longer stanchions, just longer rods. These will be available as spares later, but maybe not just yet.

To run the EXT at 150mm you also need longer stanchions (different CSU). It'll go to 140mm stock.
    Std can run 150mm stock by just removing top-out spacers. I did one yesterday.
    So my STD Pro 120 can be converted to 150?

mtbr member
    So my STD Pro 120 can be converted to 150?
    Yes. Remove three top-out spacers by the air-piston.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Dougal, thanks for the clarification.

Any tire clearance updates?

mtbr member
    Hey Dougal, thanks for the clarification.

Any tire clearance updates?
    I'm not aware of any. What info are you looking for?
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not aware of any. What info are you looking for?
    The STD appears to have a tad more clearance than a Bluto, so in theory it should clear the shorter 29+ and shorter 5" tires like the Minion 4.8

Any idea?

mtbr member
    The STD appears to have a tad more clearance than a Bluto, so in theory it should clear the shorter 29+ and shorter 5" tires like the Minion 4.8

Any idea?
    You can always throw more travel spacers in under the bottom-out bumpers. Gain tyre clearance in 10mm steps (20mm diameter).

The Std can be made to clear the same size tyres as the Ext. But max travel is 130mm in that configuration.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Any idea?
    The 120 STD will clear a Chupacarbra 29 or a Vee Snowhoe XL with about a 1/2" to spare compressed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

The Std can be made to clear the same size tyres as the Ext. But max travel is 130mm in that configuration.
    I thought the EXT had longer lowers so that the arch of the fork was higher thereby fitting taller tires. If that's the case, than the STD cannot be made to clear the same tyres as the EXT.

Am I wrong about this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I thought the EXT had longer lowers so that the arch of the fork was higher thereby fitting taller tires. If that's the case, than the STD cannot be made to clear the same tyres as the EXT.

Am I wrong about this?
    Same uppers and lowers. Different rods.

Parts diagrams are all linked in this thread.

SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Hmmmm... I looked at the parts diagram but for some reason that isn't making any sense to me. If they both have the same lowers with the same arch position, then shouldn't both versions fit the same tires? Isn't the distance from the hub to the arch what determines the size of the tire that would fit?

Different rods would only result in different travel.

Maybe someone with more knowledgeable than I can help me understand this better.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm... I looked at the parts diagram but for some reason that isn't making any sense to me. If they both have the same lowers with the same arch position, then shouldn't both versions fit the same tires? Isn't the distance from the hub to the arch what determines the size of the tire that would fit?

Different rods would only result in different travel.

Maybe someone with more knowledgeable than I can help me understand this better.
    I think you're confusing the fork brace with the crown. The brace will clear the same with ext and std, the crown clearance is different between the two when the fork is compressed.

mtbr member
    The 120 STD will clear a Chupacarbra 29 or a Vee Snowhoe XL with about a 1/2" to spare compressed.
    I would love to see a picture of this.
    I'd much rather get a 120std than a 100ext.

mtbr member
    Yes. Remove three top-out spacers by the air-piston.
    I was told its only 140mm

mtbr member
    I was told its only 140mm
    Until last week that was the official position.

I've personally done 150mm and confirmed with Manitou engineers that the pro STD is all good at 150mm.

EXT versions need longer stanchions (different CSU) to run 150mm

I am an engineer and a Manitou distributor.

SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fugsworth View Post
    I think you're confusing the fork brace with the crown. The brace will clear the same with ext and std, the crown clearance is different between the two when the fork is compressed.
    Got it. Now that makes much more sense.

Can someone clear up one other item of confusion before I order:

On the 100mm version, what can the travel be adjusted to? (I believe I have read that it cannot be adjusted up just down to 80)

On the 120mm version, what can the travel be adjusted to? (It sounds like it can be adjusted up to at least 140, maybe 150. Can it be adjusted down to 100)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Got it. Now that makes much more sense.

Can someone clear up one other item of confusion before I order:

On the 100mm version, what can the travel be adjusted to? (I believe I have read that it cannot be adjusted up just down to 80)

On the 120mm version, what can the travel be adjusted to? (It sounds like it can be adjusted up to at least 140, maybe 150. Can it be adjusted down to 100)
    It's all here in the thread.
    100 can only be shorter.
    120 can go shorter or up to 140 ( or 150 in STD, or with stancion change on EXT)

I have both a 120 STD and EXT.....there is a 20mm difference in height
    The only tire I know of that won't fit under the crown of the STD is a Vee Snowshoe 2XL ( and that can be made to fit with spacers)
    Read the thread....there are links to photos of clearance

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So I have been very interested in the Mastodon and I've read this thread a few times. Though I will admit, I lose focus often.

I run 26X4.6 Spec GC for fat and 29X3.0 Chupacabra. Right now I run 110mm of travel in my Bluto. 100mm travel did not seem like enough. I had 120mm but it made a difference in geo, but was very rideable. I could deal with the 531mm A2C, but I did not want the 551mm (the extra 20mm ride height for the EXT model). 120mm in the Bluto also made the flex more noticeable to me compared to 100mm.

But according to the Mayor, I should be good the standard height Pro model for my tire choices. And according to Dougal, I should be able to lower the travel to 110mm if I desire, even though it is not stated that way by Manitou. This would be the exact same geo and specs as my Bluto, but with a better performing fork. No down side at all.

Does anyone see this differently? If anyone has a different info, please share.......before I spend some money.

Also has anyone tried this on the Pivot Les Fat? Are there any fitment issues for downtube?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Manitou Mastodon?-10645317_10202757044348568_4697531153301221028_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

So it looks like I have no reason to run an EXT...

Are the STD rods available to change an EXT to an STD?

Source?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pics would be great. I'd appreciate the effort, not that I don't ​believe you...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pics would be great. I'd appreciate the effort, not that I don't ​believe you...
    Would you rather have an oil painting on canvas?
    You don't know what a 1/2 space looks like?

mtbr member

New Mastodon 120mm EXT fork for sale

delete
    Last edited by awai04; 08-06-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Would you rather have an oil painting on canvas?
    You don't know what a 1/2 space looks like?
    Like the old saying goes, no pics, didn't happen.

Since you know so much...

Maybe you can post some proof? A 29 x 3 Minion under the crown shot at full compression works for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Like the old saying goes, no pics, didn't happen.

Since you know so much...

Maybe you can post some proof? A 29 x 3 Minion under the crown shot at full compression works for me.
    You claim to be the grand wazoo of chainstay length, and all things bikes...
    You claim to have one of these forks.

Why don't you measure it yourself?
    If you don't know how to use a tape measure, you can take a Casual Encounters ad on Craigslist. I'm sure someone there could help you.

Yes, you have the EXT....which is 20mm longer than the STD. If you can't figure out how to do simple math....post up your numbers here and I'm sure someone could help you

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

... and if we just ...

You claim to be the grand wazoo of chainstay length, and all things bikes...
    You claim to have one of these forks.

Why don't you measure it yourself?
    If you don't know how to use a tape measure, you can take a Casual Encounters ad on Craigslist. I'm sure someone there could help you.

Yes, you have the EXT....which is 20mm longer than the STD. If you can't figure out how to do simple math....post up your numbers here and I'm sure someone could help you
    You sir are "backwards"; mtbr autocorrect for wearing your hat on your derrier.

I'm off for a ride on the TRT, Tallyho!
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 08-07-2017 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It looks like I'm keeping the Wozo...so I ordered a second Mastodon, but this one is a Pro STD; $727 shipped on eBay from 365cycles.

I'll post pics and such once I get the Fatillac built.

mtbr member
    Bummer for me. I just fitted my EXt 120 on my 17 inch farley 5. unfortunately the turning knobs are hitting the down tube need at least another 3-4mm clearance. i swapped my stock FSA to a chris king base plate. the bevel for bearing is too short flat part of the race didnt clear the frame. what type of headset are you using?

and is there is thicker base plate/crown race someone can recommend

Manitou Mastodon?-20170807_224226.jpg

Manitou Mastodon?-20170807_224310.jpg

Manitou Mastodon?-20170807_224249.jpg
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Salsa makes a 3mm thicker base plate that may help. I have not tried it.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...18&category=98

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    CC makes a taller crown race, you may also be able to use an external cup. If you have been wanting to adjust your HA, get an angleset and solve both problems.

Ghetto fix: Remove the knob or grind the edges.

[QUOTE=akacoke;13282407]Bummer for me. I just fitted my EXt 120 on my 17 inch farley 5. unfortunately the turning knobs are hitting the down tube need at least another 3

mtbr member

most likely ill have my local salsa dealer order this for me. this should do the trick but i gotta find out the contact angle on it. mine bearing is 36x45

CC makes a taller crown race, you may also be able to use an external cup. If you have been wanting to adjust your HA, get an angleset and solve both problems.

Ghetto fix: Remove the knob or grind the edges.

thanks for the help man. i have IS52 lower i dont think its possible to make a angleset. there isnt an Ext cup available either.

i might just grind down the knobs to clear it, if the bearing contact angle is wrong on the salsa baseplate. both the black and red knob hits it tho. itd be ghetto
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member

i just ordered this part# BAA0855K thru cane creek directly , Only $11 plus actual shipping !!!
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bummer there's no anglset for that size, but the thicker crown race should help.

i just ordered this part# BAA0855K thru cane creek directly , Only $11 plus actual shipping !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone interested in trading a Mastodon STD Pro 120mm for my Mastodon EXT Pro 120mm? I have riddent it ~75 miles, no damage.

I will also sell it outright. By memory, the steerer is cut to ~8"; I'll measure it once I'm back home.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    My fork came in thursday. Woo-hoo! Brought the bike in. Mech put it ahead of the other work orders....and called to tell me he needed to order a bottom race, so, "no fork for you" until next Wednseday. (Specialized fat boy with a Chisel carbon fork has the bottom race built into the fork). #@$^&%*!

mtbr member

after installing the CC/Salsa +3mm base plate. my Farley 5 17.5 barely clear the knobs with about 0.2mm a piece of printer paper would get stuck in there.
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast