Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    So if the standard can only fit 26 x 4 tires, it's smaller than a bluto? Who's gonna want that? Maybe the few people with Full Suspension who are convinced they never want options? I'm guessing either the website is wrong or they developed the fork 5 years ago when manufacturers were telling buyers that 4" rear ends is all they need...

Since I have a Farley, there's no question what to get. Even if my primary tire is a 27.5 x 3.5, I want to be able to slap on 4.5's for the occasional trip to the sand dunes or early winter before I change back to rigid.

mtbr member
    If the Surly Bud doesn't fit the std I'm guessing 29x3 won't either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I am assuming that the EXT version will slacken the bikes HA. How can I figure out how much the HA will slacken on a Farley 9.8 with 100mm bluto?

Professional Hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    So I am assuming that the EXT version will slacken the bikes HA. How can I figure out how much the HA will slacken on a Farley 9.8 with 100mm bluto?
    The extended version has 20mm more axle to crown height the STD version. I generally assume that 20mm more a-c results in approximately 1º slacker angles.

RS lists the 100mm Bluto with an A-C of 511 or the same as the 100mm Mastadon STD. But if you want to run bigger than a 27.5x3.8 Hodag on your Farley, you'll need the EXT fork with 531mm A-C.

I've got a Farley 9.6 and would be happy with a slacker headtube. But I'm not crazy about the resulting slacker seat tube angle. I need to check how much room there is to slide my seat forward. That's an easy way to change the effective ST angle if it doesn't hurt your fit.

This is taken from the Mastadon manual.
    Manitou Mastodon?-screen-shot-2017-04-26-7.39.07-pm.png

From Rockshox Bluto specs online
    Manitou Mastodon?-screen-shot-2017-04-26-7.44.38-pm.jpg

FWIW, I'm not a HUGE fan of Manitou's abbreviations. If you quit extending (EXT) it, maybe you'll end up with fewer STDs. I briefly forgot this wasn't the pink bike punfest....
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK3 View Post

RS actually lists the 100mm Bluto with an A-C of 531
    Looks to me like it lists 100mm bluto as 511. Thus, the ext will raise it by 1 degree. The 120 bluto is listed as 531.

Professional Hobbyist
    Negotiator50, I caught my mistake and fixed it. But not quick enough... Found your reply as soon as I finished.
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm curious...so does the EXT version not compress all of the way(i.e.. leave 20mm of exposed upper tubes at full compression) as opposed to full compression on the non EXT version?

mtbr member
    Okay guys, here's the deal with the tyre size and std vs extended.

The max tyre size is dictated by the number of spacers you have under the bottom-out bumpers. More spacers means the crown stops higher up and you can run a bigger tyre safely.
    The max height of the fork depends on std vs ext and can be reduced by spacers under the top-out bumpers if it's too tall for your frame.
    The travel you get is the distance between top-out and bottom-out.

So if you want to run tyres a bit bigger than standard, you can add spacers under the bottom-out bumpers (10mm increments). But this will reduce travel. Which may or may not be a problem for you.

It's all shown in the pictures in the travel change manual (page 9). But there is the complication of different stanchion lengths: https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...ange-Guide.pdf

Bottom-Out Std Version:
    5 spacers for 80-100mm.
    1 spacer for 120-140mm.
    1 spacer for 150mm.

You can run 20mm bigger (diameter) tyres by fitting 1 extra 10mm spacer to the above numbers. Travel is reduced by 10mm.
    You can run 40mm bigger (diameter) tyres by fitting 2 extra 10mm spacers to the above numbers. Travel is reduced by 20mm. This gives you same clearance as EXT version, but 20mm less travel.

Look at it this way. EXT is a 20mm taller fork. You can adjust the tyre clearance of STD to the same point, but you'll be 20mm short on travel.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Dougal! I think I got it...nice having your words and the manual to look at to piece it all together! I am going to order one as soon as I sell my Lauf Carbonara!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I think I got it with how it relates to my current Farley 9.8 with 100mm Bluto. I can go with the EXT version for tire flexibility and still get the same AC and HA as I do now but I will have to set it up with 80mm of travel. Is that correct?

mtbr member
    Competion and innovation are great for the fatty market. Good news!

So, when do the prices start to drop on the Bluto's?

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How does the downtube clearance compare to the Bluto? Will most large frames be OK?

mtbr member

Manitou Mastodon?

So I think I got it with how it relates to my current Farley 9.8 with 100mm Bluto. I can go with the EXT version for tire flexibility and still get the same AC and HA as I do now but I will have to set it up with 80mm of travel. Is that correct?
    Yah basically was think this as well, i believe yah will have to be set at 80mm or at 100 and have it a bit slacker.

Stock is 490mm, its 531mm for 100mm, so 506mm with sag.

501mm for 80mm with sag is 480mm

Ones a bit high, ones a bit low....
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone find out the MSRP on this thing yet?

Curious if it competes with Bluto in price. If so, it should sell really well.

mtbr member
    $650 for the comp model and $850 for the Pro model. All info is now on Manitou website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! Can anyone chime in on what to expect for real world differences between the comp and pro models? I read the differences on the website, and things like "expert air" and "dorado air" airsprings mean nothing to me since I'm not at all familiar with manitou's products.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Yah basically was think this as well, i believe yah will have to be set at 80mm or at 100 and have it a bit slacker.

Stock is 490mm, its 531mm for 100mm, so 506mm with sag.

501mm for 80mm with sag is 480mm

Ones a bit high, ones a bit low....
    On the fence between Bluto 100mm and Mastodon EXT Comp 100mm.

My Salsa Mukluk is spec'd to support a suspension fork up to 511mm AC, and I plan to use 26x4.6" and 29x3.0" tires on this bike--which takes the Mastodon STD out of the picture.

If I use a Mastodon, it will have to be configured with 80mm travel, whereas with Bluto, I can use the full 100mm.

If I'm using my bike mostly for XC (I'm just a roadie riding on dirt), is the Mastodon worth getting over a Bluto for better performance (?) but more weight and less travel?

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    "I'm just a roadie riding on dirt."

This describes me precisely. I bought a fatbike a few months back (Framed Minnesota 3.0) to provide me more outdoor cycling opportunities during winter, fell in love with trail riding, and added a Bluto.

The Bluto suits me quite well. I've not had issues others have described. But, I'm a neophyte who most likely wouldn't recognize bicycle suspension nuances, even if given warning.

Though I'm an older fellow (early 60s), I've taken to heart the road cyclist's mantra that strength to weight ratio is king. So, weighing fully wet at less than 150 lbs, I'm probably not much of a challenge to mountain bike suspension. I also, as a newbie, appreciate the simplicity of the Bluto: set sag and rebound and go.

In any event, I've been very happy with my Bluto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireinMTB View Post
    Thanks! Can anyone chime in on what to expect for real world differences between the comp and pro models? I read the differences on the website, and things like "expert air" and "dorado air" airsprings mean nothing to me since I'm not at all familiar with manitou's products.
    Structurally Comp has 6061 stanchions instead of 7075 so they are thicker wall to get the same strength. Result is a bit more weight (200g)

Comp uses the simpler ABS+ damper which is revalvable internally but doesn't have the same external HSC adjustment. The air spring is also different, but I don't know exactly what the differences is. It's being called "Expert Air" which is a new one to me.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I work at a bike shop, and this is NOT yet available through QBP, for us at least.

Human Test Subject
    I work at a bike shop, and this is NOT yet available through QBP, for us at least.
    They're going through BTI but as of yesterday afternoon were still on the truck going from Wisconsin to wherever BTI is.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks man. Found 'em on BTI. Gonna order one as soon as it's in stock. Thanks again.

I'm thinking about the standard version, in 120mm on my beargrease. It might be a bit overkill, but I like the idea of being able to go 27.5x3 with the 120mm travel and keep a decent BB height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Saw the Mastadon in the wild today... man o man... a REAL fatbike trail fork!

If I had a spare minute I would have taken it out for a spin in the lot but the kids were in the car and we had a pressing engagement with a hiking trail/

This was the 150MM version... only one of two in existence. Mounted to the new Foes Mutz 150.

The thing looks burly and very much trail worthy.

Me to my Bluto... "Bye, Felicia."

That is, as soon as I can get my grubby little mitts on one.

mtbr member
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    delete
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Flying Sasquatch

mtbr member
    Can i choose 120 and go down to 100? Prob not, right?

I would like to try 120 and see how it goes but my bike's geo is set up to run 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    The VIP15 coupon codes makes this a sweet deal.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 05-04-2017 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So what would the effect of an extra 20mm of axel to crown distance be?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkz View Post
    So what would the effect of an extra 20mm of axel to crown distance be?
    Minus one degree hta, 20mm increase bar height, minus one degree sta. If you are going from a 100mm fork to a 120mm, then double the effects.

Good time to be slack, most fat bikes are waaay to steep to start, so slacking things out is the right way to go.

Just ordered mine, Ext, 120mm, in purple! Bet you guys didn't see that coming

According to my partner in crime, the eta is Friday and I got the last one from BTI in thst configuration.

Like hotcakes, I'm tellin' ya'!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Can i choose 120 and go down to 100? Prob not, right?

I would like to try 120 and see how it goes but my bike's geo is set up to run 100
    It'd be great if people read the travel change guide I keep linking up.

You can space these down as much as you want. Either temporarily by just hooking on a pump or more securely with spacers inside.

Sent with 100% recycled electrons.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    OK cool. I have a bluto on my farley ex. Not really sure what my HTA is to start. I'd probably go from the 120 bluto to a 120 ext.
    Not sure If I am gonna do it but I really want purple haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Minus one degree hta, 20mm increase bar height, minus one degree sta. If you are going from a 100mm fork to a 120mm, then double the effects.

Good time to be slack, most fat bikes are waaay to steep to start, so slacking things out is the right way to go.

Just ordered mine, Ext, 120mm, in purple! Bet you guys didn't see that coming

According to my partner in crime, the eta is Friday and I got the last one from BTI in thst configuration.

Like hotcakes, I'm tellin' ya'!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    It'd be great if people read the travel change guide I keep linking up.

You can space these down as much as you want. Either temporarily by just hooking on a pump or more securely with spacers inside.

Sent with 100% recycled electrons.
    Thanks for mentioning it again. I thought i read it here somewhere.

Post #208 covers it just above!

My 907 Whiteout feels perfect w the 69* HA w rigid fork but would not mind trying 68* w the 120mm fork. I thought i could at the very least run extra sag to get me to 100 like what i was thinking w the bluto. Encouraging though to have setup options w the Mastodon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkz View Post
    OK cool. I have a bluto on my farley ex. Not really sure what my HTA is to start. I'd probably go from the 120 bluto to a 120 ext.
    Not sure If I am gonna do it but I really want purple haha.
    Purple is available! Or you doing custom? My whiteout is purple. Nice color

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The Pro 120 Standard Height are already sold out!!!

NOOOOO!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

The Fox can easily fit 3.5ish tires, but if you want to run a true 4" tire, on anything wider than a ~60mm rim, clearance gets very tight very fast. No room for mud.
    Lots of guys running the Fox 34 27.5+ with a 4.0 tire/70mm rim with no problems on Salsa Bucksaws.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    So if the standard can only fit 26 x 4 tires, it's smaller than a bluto? Who's gonna want that? Maybe the few people with Full Suspension who are convinced they never want options? I'm guessing either the website is wrong or they developed the fork 5 years ago when manufacturers were telling buyers that 4" rear ends is all they need...

Since I have a Farley, there's no question what to get. Even if my primary tire is a 27.5 x 3.5, I want to be able to slap on 4.5's for the occasional trip to the sand dunes or early winter before I change back to rigid.
    I have the ability to run >4.0 tires on my hardtail fatty with bluto and honestly for 90% of winter riding it just isn't needed. Maybe it's needed for airing way down on the beach... but that's not something I do (despite living ~10 miles from the Atlantic ocean).

Jumbo Jim 4.0s for year-round riding pleasure.

Only reason to swap the tire would be to put studs on for very icy winter riding.

FWIW, I don't think the 27.5/4.5 fits the Farley EX rear end (although I could be wrong on that).

These ultra-wide tires are over-rated in my opinion. (and I have a set of studded Snowshoe XLs and a set of Minion FBF/FBR 4.8s).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I guess I haven't gotten that far into the search. I saw purple as an option an manitou's site and it appears nurse Ben ordered purple from somewhere

also by purple I mean it's mostly black but has purple accents. If there is a full purple option out there that would be awesome

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There are spacers included in the forks so each fork can be spaced +/-20mm. The 120mm forks can do from 140-100mm just with spacers. The 100mm forks can do 120-80mm just with spacers.

You can, of course, do more travel adjustment than that with spacers. But the positive/negative air volumes get quite different to design point.

This is on top of the "connect pump and put it where you want it" convenience.

Travel adjust guide here: https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...ange-Guide.pdf
    I really-really hope that's the case as I just pulled the trigger on a 100MM Pro Standard that I want to run at 110-120 on my Bucksaw!

The price at Universal was awesome... $679 shipped!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bits View Post
    The Pro 120 Standard Height are already sold out!!!

NOOOOO!!!!!!

Check eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check eBay.
    Just bought the 100mm version and will space it to 120mm.. won't need more than that on the Bucksaw

Assuming it really can be "Stretched" to 120mm... reading this stuff is giving me an ice-cream headache.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are you guys sure that you can "stretch" the 100mm to 120? I only ask because I'm debating this now, and was under the assumption that the 120mm can be shrunk to 100mm, but not vice versa. Would make sense that it could go both ways though.

My beargrease is 68.4HTA, i wonder if a 120mm fork would make it too slack @ 67.4? Anyone have any input on when is "too slack" for a hardtail fatty? I ride aggressively and live in the rocky mountains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Frustrated!!!

Are you guys sure that you can "stretch" the 100mm to 120? I only ask because I'm debating this now, and was under the assumption that the 120mm can be shrunk to 100mm, but not vice versa. Would make sense that it could go both ways though.

My beargrease is 68.4HTA, i wonder if a 120mm fork would make it too slack @ 67.4? Anyone have any input on when is "too slack" for a hardtail fatty? I ride aggressively and live in the rocky mountains.
    UGH!

I looked at the manual to change height and it does NOT appear that the 100mm can go UP to 120mm.

https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...ange-Guide.pdf

"Depending on the crown steerer assembly (CSA) your fork was built with you may have a few travel
    change options. The 100 can convert down to 80mm by removing two of the 10mm spacers on the
    rebound and compression rods. The 120mm can convert to 140mm. The 150 EXT is fixed at its travel.
    EXAMPLE: The Mastodon Pro STD is set at 120 with three travel spacers. Removing one 10mm
    spacer will set it at 130. Removing two 10mm will set the fork at 140mm as seen below. "

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I want 120mm travel!

Dougal, you sound like you know your stuff... kind of trusted you here..

But the manual seem to disagree with you....

Can somebody PLEASE confirm?

the 120mm is sold out at Universal... and I want that price on it.

mtbr member
    Well...

You can always return it
    Last edited by Kirkerik; 05-04-2017 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    UGH!

I looked at the manual to change height and it does NOT appear that the 100mm can go UP to 120mm.

https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...ange-Guide.pdf

"Depending on the crown steerer assembly (CSA) your fork was built with you may have a few travel
    change options. The 100 can convert down to 80mm by removing two of the 10mm spacers on the
    rebound and compression rods. The 120mm can convert to 140mm. The 150 EXT is fixed at its travel.
    EXAMPLE: The Mastodon Pro STD is set at 120 with three travel spacers. Removing one 10mm
    spacer will set it at 130. Removing two 10mm will set the fork at 140mm as seen below. "

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I want 120mm travel!

Dougal, you sound like you know your stuff... kind of trusted you here..

But the manual seem to disagree with you....

Can somebody PLEASE confirm?

the 120mm is sold out at Universal... and I want that price on it.
    Yeah sorry 80 can do 100 but not 120. I got my wires crossed there.

For me I only buy forks for sale in the higher travel options. You can always go shorter, you can't always go longer.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah sorry 80 can do 100 but not 120. I got my wires crossed there.

For me I only buy forks for sale in the higher travel options. You can always go shorter, you can't always go longer.
    It technically can be done per Manitou tech support:

"So there are some limits on that. You would need to change out the rebound damper as well as the CSA to go from 100 to 120. Look at page 5 parts 1 and 9 for the ranges."

Fortunately I won't have to jump through those hoops as I called Universal to cancel the order.... and it turns out they had one 120mm left.

AND

They had already picked and shipped my order.. and they had accidentally shipped the 120 version!

The rare "oops" in your favor.

SO PUMPED to get this thing up and running.

Also... something I think you're going to hear a lot of in the near future...

"Bluto For Sale"

mtbr member
    It technically can be done per Manitou tech support:

"So there are some limits on that. You would need to change out the rebound damper as well as the CSA to go from 100 to 120. Look at page 5 parts 1 and 9 for the ranges."

Fortunately I won't have to jump through those hoops as I called Universal to cancel the order.... and it turns out they had one 120mm left.

AND

They had already picked and shipped my order.. and they had accidentally shipped the 120 version!

The rare "oops" in your favor.

SO PUMPED to get this thing up and running.

Also... something I think you're going to hear a lot of in the near future...

"Bluto For Sale"
    Wow! That's sweet! Could not be any better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It was a joke son, though, I'd take it in purple if it was a choice

My fork is slated for delivery tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Flying Sasquatch
    I'm pretty sure I ordered from Universal before everyone else, yet my fork isn't supposed to ship until Tuesday..?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I didn't read the whole thread, but no one seems to be comparing this fork to the wren?

Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, but no one seems to be comparing this fork to the wren?

Only because there's no comparison.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Only because there's no comparison.
    cool, care to elaborate?

beer thief
    I'm in. Thanks Mikesee for the ebay suggestion

cool, care to elaborate?

Review here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love coming home to a suprise

and yeah, its burly, like a Pike, but more biggerer.

Manitou Mastodon?-2017-05-05-18.59.55.jpg

mtbr member
    Review here.
    Nice review mikesee- professionally done! Too bad the Wren is wanting in refinement. I've tried the FOMN and concur with the stanchion issue, currently have a Bluto on my wider fat bike, and await the frame onto which I will put a 27.5+ Fox 34 to make a narrower fat bike. Will be interesting to see how the others receive the Mastodon, initially and over time especially. The tendency seems to be that riders get all excited about the new stuff and only months later does the lasting impression start to show, lol.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice fork, really nice fork.

Easy set up, 180mm rotor, direct mount, Guides, perfect alignment, hard cutting steerer tube 7000 series yeah, easy set up.

Feels decent out of the box, EXT 120mm, I'm 200#, 90psi feels good. Very plush, rebound works, damping works, graduated lock really works.

Previous fork was a newer Bluto set at 100mm. New fork is 20mm more travel and 20mm more A-C. I thought I'd notice the ride height difference, but all I notice is the super cushy front and a way improved hta, now at ~67.5deg.

Clearance is tighter between the down tube and crown than with the Bluto, but I still have a good 10mm of clearance.

Gonna ride early tomorrow, so exciting, years of waiting for a decent fat bike fork, it's really about time.

Thanks Manitou!

Manitou Mastodon?-2017-05-05-23.44.44.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice fork, really nice fork.

Easy set up, 180mm rotor, direct mount, Guides, perfect alignment, hard cutting steerer tube 7000 series yeah, easy set up.

Feels decent out of the box, EXT 120mm, I'm 200#, 90psi feels good. Very plush, rebound works, damping works, graduated lock really works.

Previous fork was a newer Bluto set at 100mm. New fork is 20mm more travel and 20mm more A-C. I thought I'd notice the ride height difference, but all I notice is the super cushy front and a way improved hta, now at ~67.5deg.

Clearance is tighter between the down tube and crown than with the Bluto, but I still have a good 10mm of clearance.

Gonna ride early tomorrow, so exciting, years of waiting for a decent fat bike fork, it's really about time.

Thanks Manitou!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-05 23.44.44.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1135733
    Looks great. Pro or Comp and what size rubber?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    The tendency seems to be that riders get all excited about the new stuff and only months later does the lasting impression start to show, lol.
    Yep Many here claim X is the greatest ever as soon as they get X, only to complain about issues and sell X a few months later

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Yep Many here claim X is the greatest ever as soon as they get X, only to complain about issues and sell X a few months later
    Yep, that's why I'm not gonna get involved in discussions, comparisons, or give detailed feedback on this fork.

It's time the late adoptors took some responsibility for being lemmings

Here is my review: nice fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks great. Pro or Comp and what size rubber?
    Pro, 120, Minion 3.8

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    you think it would be a mistake to run the 100 mm ext version with 531 crown to axel on my mukluk, while they recommend nothing over 511?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    you think it would be a mistake to run the 100 mm ext version with 531 crown to axel on my mukluk, while they recommend nothing over 511?
    Man people are getting hung up on this.

Your bike will be fine.

mtbr member
    Yep, that's why I'm not gonna get involved in discussions, comparisons, or give detailed feedback on this fork.
    Hilarious!
    Oh man I needed a good laugh, Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fugsworth View Post
    Hilarious!
    Oh man I needed a good laugh, Thanks.
    Like I said, nice fork, nothing else to add.

Edit:

Just got back from riding, 29+ goodness:

Manitou Mastodon?-2017-05-06-18.46.46.jpg
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 05-06-2017 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Edit:

Name:	2017-05-06 18.46.46.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1135877
    Talk to us. Ride impressions? Further comparisons to your previous fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Talk to us. Ride impressions? Further comparisons to your previous fork?
    Nice fork, I'm satisfied.

WNC Native

Edit:

Name:	2017-05-06 18.46.46.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1135877
    Looks like the DHF has plenty of room at the crown too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Looks like the DHF has plenty of room at the crown too.
    Yup.

mtbr member
    So how is the new mastodon fork?
    Nurseben: I"m just here so I won't get fined...

How do it affect the a/c being taller?

How does this fork compare to the bluto or Wren?

turtles make me hot
    ^^^lmao
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post
    So how is the new mastodon fork?

How do it affect the a/c being taller?

How does this fork compare to the bluto or Wren?
    Fined? I didn't know there was a penalty...

How about this: read Miksee's review, it's all there, fork comparison's, pros and cons, he even did a cross platform comparison with a Fox. I have nothing to add

mtbr member

How about this: read Miksee's review, it's all there, fork comparison's, pros and cons, he even did a cross platform comparison with a Fox. I have nothing to add
    So, you're posting for self-satisfaction?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have had one for about a week.

mtbr member

Lighten up Francis...

It was a pop-culture reference to Marshawn Lynch's response to speaking to the media.
    Now you have made me explain the joke and it's not funny.

The Lefty is better anyway. Also, don't like the color of your bike or your incomplete grammar.

Human Test Subject

How about YOU write a review so we don't have to read something that's center aligned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    How about YOU write a review so we don't have to read something that's center aligned.
    And just when I thought this thread couldn't get better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post
    Lighten up Francis...

It was a pop-culture reference to Marshawn Lynch's response to speaking to the media.
    Now you have made me explain the joke and it's not funny.

The Lefty is better anyway. Also, don't like the color of your bike or your incomplete grammar.
    Incompetent grammar more like it, might have something to do with not having a computer at home... all posts are by phone; so primitive.

I didn't get the reference, sorry, I don't watch TV or pay attention to sports. I'm sure it's funny or you wouldn't have posted it.

I kinda agree on the color choice, but when I called Kona to tell them to change the color, I said it was nurse ben calling and they connected me with a Russian Astrologer in Uzbekistan... maybe they thought I voted for the orange guy?

Lefty, are they any good? I am so gonna dump the Mastodon and get a Lefty, I just needed your encouragement.

Thanks for all the tips, you da man!

Hell no I ain't doin' no damn review, wut the bleep does it matter? It's always the same arsehats, sitting on their thumbs, posting comments from their cubicle. Let them buy a Mastodon and post a review.

This fork is straight up Manitou tech, just like you get on their other high end forks, but with a wider crown and axle spacing.

If SRAM made a fat Pike that could be run from 80-150mm, with this kind of adjustability, would you question it's function? Hell no, a Pike is a Pike.

Just my 0.02

and don't forget about Mother's Day!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you knew Mike, you wouldn't have that opinion. Mike is as straight and honest as they come, at times brutally so. If Mike puts his opinion out on a public forum, its straight up.

If folks really must have their questions answered to save them from buyer's constipation, send me a PM and I will do my best to answer said questions with proper grammar

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quick question...why does the Mastodon have a tooled thru axle vs. a lever thru axle? Is there an advantage to it (theft??) Typically always have tools along but seems like the lever takes forgetting a tool out of the equation. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    Quick question...why does the Mastodon have a tooled thru axle vs. a lever thru axle? Is there an advantage to it (theft??) Typically always have tools along but seems like the lever takes forgetting a tool out of the equation. Thanks for the help
    I had the same question,guessing it's to save some space. The width of this fork is big and having the lever hanging out there is just asking to break it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    I'd expect stiffness/strength to be a factor. The tooled Hexlock SL axle can be a lot less hollow than the QR15.
    Easier to use with gloves too.

I think QR is great if you're racing and losing places with each second during a tube change. But otherwise tooled has a lot of advantages.
    SPV Devolve

Human Test Subject
    If you knew Mike, you wouldn't have that opinion. Mike is as straight and honest as they come, at times brutally so. If Mike puts his opinion out on a public forum, its straight up.

If folks really must have their questions answered to save them from buyer's constipation, send me a PM and I will do my best to answer said questions with proper grammar
    It has nothing to do with Mike as a person. It's all about his formating. When you stray from normal academically accepted styles that have been used for centuries things become harder to read.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    It has nothing to do with Mike as a person. It's all about his formating. When you stray from normal academically accepted styles that have been used for centuries things become harder to read.
    Wow, anal much? Isn't there a forum for language composition Nazis where you'd be much happier than here amongst all of us bicycle cavemen? Seriously, get a life.

mtbr member
    Don't get your point. He says this:

"The takeaway you should get is that the differences in these forks amount to a hill of beans once they are dialed in: Both feel great -- stiff, supple, capable, adjustable -- and I could happily ride either.

The only other difference then, comes down to the ability to run a wider range of tires in Mastodon, and for me that was the deciding factor in selling the orange bike with the Fox fork.

Some will want more detail than that -- and they should ask specific questions below!"

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just come here to watch the train wrecks.
    I'll be back later....I'm off to ride my Mastodon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Has anyone opened one of these up yet to adjust travel?

My Pro Ext set at 100mm still has 1" of extra stanchion above at max travel. Per Mantitou's service manual, my fork should only be adjusted downward towards 80mm. But I'm trying to figure out why spacers couldn't be removed to give 120mm without increasing the ride height at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BIke N Gear View Post
    Has anyone opened one of these up yet to adjust travel?

My Pro Ext set at 100mm still has 1" of extra stanchion above at max travel. Per Mantitou's service manual, my fork should only be adjusted downward towards 80mm. But I'm trying to figure out why spacers couldn't be removed to give 120mm without increasing the ride height at all.
    I haven't taken it apart yet, but the longer stancions( there is 2 different part numbers but niether say std or ext) and longer air spring in the extended is the reason. That extra inch is to keep a tall tire from hitting the crown.
    I have the 120 and it has about 1 inch extra also

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I haven't taken it apart yet, but the longer stancions( there is 2 different part numbers but niether say std or ext) and longer air spring in the extended is the reason. That extra inch is to keep a tall tire from hitting the crown.
    I have the 120 and it has about 1 inch extra also

also, i think, to keep the reverse arch from pounding through your downtube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    also, i think, to keep the reverse arch from pounding through your downtube.
    That was the first thing I checked when I mounted.....because many years ago.....

Flying Sasquatch
    How do you guys fill this with air? I've never owned an air shock or fork before and my pump is only rated to 90psi..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How do you guys fill this with air? I've never owned an air shock or fork before and my pump is only rated to 90psi..
    shock pump. You need one

Flying Sasquatch
    shock pump. You need one
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The Bluto *comes* with a shock pump if you buy it aftermarket.

Manitou is robbing you guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm getting a nice ride on a 120 ext pro at 60psi. I weigh 200#. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    The Bluto *comes* with a shock pump if you buy it aftermarket.

Manitou is robbing you guys.

Bluto could come with a ham sandwich and a pallet of cupcakes and it still wouldn't be worth riding.

YMMV, clearly...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm getting a nice ride on a 120 ext pro at 60psi. I weigh 200#. No complaints.
    I'm guessing ktmneilo is refering a tire pump....which doesn't work very well

turtles make me hot
    Bluto could come with a ham sandwich and a pallet of cupcakes and it still wouldn't be worth riding.

YMMV, clearly...
    Wait... Would it be a voucher for a ham sandwich or an actual shrink wrapped ham sandwich? And are the cupcakes assorted?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

YMMV, clearly...
    Rock Shox is really ripping us off by not supplying ham sammiches and cupcakes.
    And would it kill them to put on a pot of coffee?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rock Shox is really ripping us off by not supplying ham sammiches and cupcakes.
    And would it kill them to put on a pot of coffee?
    The thing is, the sandwich and coffee would probably be pretty nasty, ya know, from sitting in the box for so long.

Give Keifer a break, he's just a kid, his funds are limited, so he's mad about having splurged on another fork and probably can't afford the upgrade.

At least we got affordable health care...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast