Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How about now?
    Any news yet?
    If tomorrow falls between April 20th and 23rd, then we should know tomorrow.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    How about now?
    Any news yet?
    Sea Otter Classic - April 20-23, 2017 - Monterey, California, USA (Powered by SRAM) -

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    If tomorrow falls between April 20th and 23rd, then we should know tomorrow.
    Great!
    I will ask again tomorrow.
    But...just in case....any news yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Great!
    Sea Otter Classic - April 20-23, 2017 - Monterey, California, USA (Powered by SRAM) -

Jammin' Econo
    Great!
    Good idea - tomorrow could be the day. But if it isn't tomorrow, then I think it might could be 9-12 days from now. Don't ask me how I know.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I heard that the Mastodon was exclusive to the Trek Farley EX until 2018

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I heard that the Mastodon was exclusive to the Trek Farley EX until 2018
    Damn, not a nibble, you guys are tight!

Okay, I heard that Trek stores have an exclusive on the Mastodon until 2018, so you gotta buy it from Trek.

I'm thinking of ways to sneak into a Trek dealer, get the fork, without anyone recognizing me

mtbr member
    Ben I read that the Mastodon is going to be exclusive to Manitou! Talk about unfair business practices, it's a monopoly I tell you!
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

Human Test Subject
    So I'm guessing that's a no?

This place needs an enema

News? I'll give you some news. I've been riding one of these beauteous beasts on the front of my Fatillac. Close to 70 hours ridden on it in the last ~6 weeks, including 3.5 tonight.

It's friggin awesome. The honeymoon phase was over 4 weeks ago, and yet I still continue to look forward to every ride on this bike/fork. 6" of travel on both ends + 3.5" tires on both ends = braaaaAAAAAAAAAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It's friggin awesome. The honeymoon phase was over 4 weeks ago, and yet I still continue to look forward to every ride on this bike/fork. 6" of travel on both ends + 3.5" tires on both ends = braaaaAAAAAAAAAP!
    So... this is better than a Bluto for sure?
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post

If we're discussing chassis stiffness and damping quality, they don't even belong in the same discussion. Mastodon is awesome.

Looking at it from a different perspective, Bluto might be lighter. Once Mastodon is released Bluto will undoubtedly be cheaper. If weight and cost trump performance, then Bluto might be better for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hope it will be available with a straight steer tube for us Pugsley guys.

mtbr member
    @bobkorn,
    Even with a straight steerer, the crown will mot clear Pugsley's down tube.

mtbr member
    Let me check. Is a Mattoc better than a Reba?

I had a Bluto through the workshop last week. I should have weighed it.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That question is not deserving of an answer... listen to the crickets.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the well thought out reply, mikesee (...and yeah, sorry about the delayed response). My longstanding thought has been that a Pike with 150mm front hub spacing and 120mm travel would be a perfect balance between weight and performance for all the same reasons a Pike works better than a Reba on a mtb. If this Mastodon is even close to a Pike, then I think it would answer a lot of the needs and wants of a lot of us on this sub-forum.

...What again is going to be the production weight of this fork? In my mind, any fork over 4.6 lbs brings the Bluto back into discussion, as around there is where I see the fork as becoming "heavy" for anything other than the rough & steep stuff.

If we're discussing chassis stiffness and damping quality, they don't even belong in the same discussion. Mastodon is awesome.

Looking at it from a different perspective, Bluto might be lighter. Once Mastodon is released Bluto will undoubtedly be cheaper. If weight and cost trump performance, then Bluto might be better for you.
    Last edited by awai04; 1 Week Ago at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the well thought out reply, mikesee (...and yeah, sorry about the delayed response). My longstanding thought has been that a Pike with 150mm front hub spacing and 120mm travel would be a perfect balance between weight and performance for all the same reasons a Pike works better than a Reba on a mtb. If this Mastodon is even close to a Pike, then I think it would answer a lot of the needs and wants of a lot of us on this sub-forum.

...What again is going to be the production weight of this fork? In my mind, any fork over 4.6 lbs brings the Bluto back into discussion, as around there is where I see the fork as becoming "heavy" for anything other than the rough & steep stuff.
    We are talking about a fat bike, so "weight" is thrown out the window as soon as you start adding suspension. You want light, ride rigid.

We already have rigid (lightest), Lauf (minimalist spring suspension), Bluto (Light suspension fork), and DH forks (heavy duty), so the Mastodon fits right smack dab in the midweight suspension slot.

An additional pound for a robust 150mm travel fat bike fork is totally reasonable; think Wren. Certainly the relative weight penalty increases as that same "heavy" fork is mounted on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

The true answer is found in the pudding. A burlier fork has never been the answer for the folks who feel the Bluto is adequate, nor is this fork for folks who ride rigid.

The Mastodon is for the folks who have the Bluto and feel that it is not adequate.

mtbr member
    I do think weight does matter if you're talking about a bike that's still somewhat fun to trail ride for hours at a time. Even though full weight-weenie isn't the objective, some modest attention to weight is going enhance agility and response.

Agreed that success of this fork is going to come down to the details and how it actually rides.

We are talking about a fat bike, so "weight" is thrown out the window as soon as you start adding suspension. You want light, ride rigid.

We already have rigid (lightest), Lauf (minimalist spring suspension), Bluto (Light suspension fork), and DH forks (heavy duty), so the Mastodon fits right smack dab in the midweight suspension slot.

An additional pound for a robust 150mm travel fat bike fork is totally reasonable; think Wren. Certainly the relative weight penalty increases as that same "heavy" fork is mounted on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

The true answer is found in the pudding. A burlier fork has never been the answer for the folks who feel the Bluto is adequate, nor is this fork for folks who ride rigid.

The Mastodon is for the folks who have the Bluto and feel that it is not adequate.

mtbr member

Manitou Mastodon?

Found this on Instagram, Looks huge.

Seeing a 27.5" hodag in a bluto almost rubs the arch, look at that clearance!
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

White?

Someone please tell me it won't be white.

It does look like a comfy fit, very exciting, just hoping it'll be for sale when it goes live next week.

I'm running a B Fat Hodag on mine. Looks like a road tire in a Reba. Huge clearance with the Gnarwhal or Barbegazi too. I've installed the 2XL on a 105mm rim and it fits fine, but I haven't ridden with it yet. Still scratching my head and wondering when I'd want a 5" wide tire in a 6" travel fork.

mtbr member
    I'm running a B Fat Hodag on mine. Looks like a road tire in a Reba. Huge clearance with the Gnarwhal or Barbegazi too. I've installed the 2XL on a 105mm rim and it fits fine, but I haven't ridden with it yet. Still scratching my head and wondering when I'd want a 5" wide tire in a 6" travel fork.
    Options mannnnn, dont want to be limited!

As long as the 27.5 gnarwhal fits, then im happy. Still trying to decide between this or the lauf.....
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Agreed.

Still scratching my head and wondering when I'd want a 5" wide tire in a 6" travel fork.
    ...I hope these come in different travel lengths!

Professional Hobbyist
    White?

It does look like a comfy fit, very exciting, just hoping it'll be for sale when it goes live next week.
    You saw this cool pic and worried about the color?!? I thought it looked great but wondered wtf happened to the dropper post... I'm excited to finally have a good fat trail fork option.
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

beer thief
    ...Seeing a 27.5" hodag in a bluto almost rubs the arch, look at that clearance!
    I have 5/8" of clearance between my B-fat Hodag and Bluto arch, how does it almost rub?

Pretty stoked to see this fork come to market. I hope Fox follows suit to give us more options.

White?

Woah, woah, woah! You gave someone else sh1t right here in this thread for indicating a preference for black stanchions!

mtbr member
    White?

This one isn't white:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BR__AQnB...raftsuspension

SPV Devolve

sluice box
    White?

YES they will go with my fresh white Oakleys.
    Name:  7531199164_b141098b76.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  79.2 KB
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Woah, woah, woah! You gave someone else sh1t right here in this thread for indicating a preference for black stanchions!
    The irony of it all

I'd ride that fork if it was pepto bismal pink with flaming bunnies running down the legs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

The irony of it all

I'd ride that fork if it was pepto bismal pink with flaming bunnies running down the legs!
    The problem with white is I have nothing to wear... as we all know it's important to be color coordinated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    Hope it will be available with a straight steer tube for us Pugsley guys.
    No problems, here is a sneak-shot of manitou's pug specific version (from the 1990's)....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Mastodon?-img_5808.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    No problems, here is a sneak-shot of manitou's pug specific version (from the 1990's)....
    I like the colors, very subtle, has a bit of a retro look.

But I'm confused, those purple things, are they some sort.of advanced tire inflation system?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Was that a Manitou effort or an aftermarket conversion (wider crown and brace) of a 1995 Manitou Comp?
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dougal -
    I rigged this version up from a standard Manitou 3/comp, an even wider '95 crown would definitely be better even. My fat Manitou (aka dumbo?) has 92.5mm of clearance between the stanchions, just barely enough for a 3.8 larry tire (88mm carcass width on a 44mm snowcat rim). I had to modify the fork pushrod and elastomers/springs to bottom out before the tire hits the fork crown and also to extend the fork a bit when uncompressed. I transplanted the arch brace from a Manitou 1 fork (significantly taller) onto the Manitou 3 lowers in order to gain enough brace clearance for the taller tire. Installing/removing the wheel requires partially deflating the tire to get it past the cantilever brake bosses.

The forks coil spring has no dampening, I would like add the EPC dampening from a Manitou 4 but have not yet sourced an EPC donor. I would also like to try fabricating an entirely new fork dropout incorporating disk-brake mounts and more fork rake (these early manitous only had around 38mm or rake, generates excessive fork trail with a slack HTA.)

My Manitou dumbo suspension setup admittedly has its limitations but I've had it on my fat bike for almost 5 years now and it had been dependable, works reasonably well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Today it begins, any news?

I jusy need to know who gets my money and when it will arrive

mtbr member
    Today it begins, any news?

I jusy need to know who gets my money and when it will arrive
    Tomorrow it begins.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Tomorrow it begins.
    You're on the wrong side of the world, first Otter posting is already up.

Sadly, Mr Guitar has posted a comment suggesting Trek will be the only source for a Madtodon until 2018... and it'll only come on their bikes!

Seriously, I'll buy one of their bikes with a Mastodon and resell it with a Bluto.

mtbr member
    You're on the wrong side of the world, first Otter posting is already up.
    My official source says global release is still almost 12 hours away.

Patience Young Mastodon.
    SPV Devolve

beer thief
    ...Seriously, I'll buy one of their bikes with a Mastodon and resell it with a Bluto.
    Wow Ben, I think you and I may actually agree on something here

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Any news?

Found couple revives from Europe one is German one is Italian
    Hier gibts die ersten Lifebilder der brandeuen Manitou Mastodon Federgabel für FATBikes.

https://www.mtb-mag.com/forum/thread...n-test.351654/

I hope fox and roks poks wakeup an make same fat pike or fat 34/36

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    My official source says global release is still almost 12 hours away.

Patience Young Mastodon.
    Ben doesn't know what Patience is.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Ben doesn't know what Patience is.
    The sad reality in this case is that the fork probably won't be available for purchase until next year. It makes sense if you're Trek, using the fork to sell complete bikes, but for Manitou it means a lost season of sales and the potentisl lost sales to a rival firk. I suppose they crunched the numbers and figured it out to a mutual benefit..

Anyone have stats on fork sales comparing Bluto sales on completes vs individual sales? I imagine completes are at least 75% of the sales.

Today could be the day...

WNC Native
    I'm trying to remember how long it was before you could buy the Magnum 29+ fork after the Stache was available. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was available separately shortly after the Stache.....?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's shown on manitou's site now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    It's shown on manitou's site now.
    Set up guide for the Pro model is now on site also....

mtbr member
    Manitou takes on fat bike forks with the Mastodon - BikeRadar

Mastodon features

Cold weather tested at -15C / 0F and colder temperatures
    34mm stanchions
    80, 100, 120, 140, 150mm travel options
    Fits 26 x 5.15in and 27.5 x 4.5in tires
    Two ride heights: standard as direct replacement and extended for increased tire room
    Pro weight for 26in / 100mm travel: 2,210g
    Comp weight for 26in / 100mm travel: 2,430g

So wide

Even off of a bike it was clear from the giant crown and prairie-wide stance that the Mastodon was designed to fit even the widest-of-the-wide fat bike rubber.

The chassis can easily surround the largest tires available; everything from Vee Rubber's 26 x 5.05in 2XL Snowshoes to Bontrager's Hodag 27.5 x 4.5in. There's also plenty of room for 29 x 3.0in plus tires.
    Dialed damping

The Mastodon uses damping technology derived from its well-received Mattoc and Dorado forks.

The forks are upgradable as well, accepting Manitou's Infinite Tuning Rate kit for additional mid-stroke control, and all of the seals, oils and internals are built to work in freezing temperatures thanks to Manitou's expertise in snowmobile racing.

Stiffness claims

Through the use of large 34mm stanchions and Manitou's classic reverse arch, both front and back and torsional stiffness is claimed to be improved over the Bluto. Manitou's testing puts these numbers at 26 percent and 25 percent respectively.
    Mastodon pricing and availability

Mastodon Comp: $649.99 with availability now
    Mastodon Pro: $849.99 with availability now
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Better pricing than I was expecting, and available NOW? I'm impressed and counting my pennies

mtbr member
    The sad reality in this case is that the fork probably won't be available for purchase until next year. It makes sense if you're Trek, using the fork to sell complete bikes, but for Manitou it means a lost season of sales and the potentisl lost sales to a rival firk. I suppose they crunched the numbers and figured it out to a mutual benefit..

Anyone have stats on fork sales comparing Bluto sales on completes vs individual sales? I imagine completes are at least 75% of the sales.

Today could be the day...

Happy now?

Available for aftermarket order immediately. You'll find a few extra choice bits of info on my site:
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mastodon-manitou.html
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    why is it $1600?
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast