Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How about now?
    Any news yet?
    Sea Otter Classic - April 20-23, 2017 - Monterey, California, USA (Powered by SRAM) -

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    If tomorrow falls between April 20th and 23rd, then we should know tomorrow.
    Great!
    I will ask again tomorrow.
    But...just in case....any news yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Great!
    Sea Otter Classic - April 20-23, 2017 - Monterey, California, USA (Powered by SRAM) -

Jammin' Econo
    Great!
    Good idea - tomorrow could be the day. But if it isn't tomorrow, then I think it might could be 9-12 days from now. Don't ask me how I know.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I heard that the Mastodon was exclusive to the Trek Farley EX until 2018

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I heard that the Mastodon was exclusive to the Trek Farley EX until 2018
    Damn, not a nibble, you guys are tight!

Okay, I heard that Trek stores have an exclusive on the Mastodon until 2018, so you gotta buy it from Trek.

I'm thinking of ways to sneak into a Trek dealer, get the fork, without anyone recognizing me

mtbr member
    Ben I read that the Mastodon is going to be exclusive to Manitou! Talk about unfair business practices, it's a monopoly I tell you!
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

Human Test Subject
    So I'm guessing that's a no?

This place needs an enema

News? I'll give you some news. I've been riding one of these beauteous beasts on the front of my Fatillac. Close to 70 hours ridden on it in the last ~6 weeks, including 3.5 tonight.

It's friggin awesome. The honeymoon phase was over 4 weeks ago, and yet I still continue to look forward to every ride on this bike/fork. 6" of travel on both ends + 3.5" tires on both ends = braaaaAAAAAAAAAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It's friggin awesome. The honeymoon phase was over 4 weeks ago, and yet I still continue to look forward to every ride on this bike/fork. 6" of travel on both ends + 3.5" tires on both ends = braaaaAAAAAAAAAP!
    So... this is better than a Bluto for sure?
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post

If we're discussing chassis stiffness and damping quality, they don't even belong in the same discussion. Mastodon is awesome.

Looking at it from a different perspective, Bluto might be lighter. Once Mastodon is released Bluto will undoubtedly be cheaper. If weight and cost trump performance, then Bluto might be better for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hope it will be available with a straight steer tube for us Pugsley guys.

mtbr member
    @bobkorn,
    Even with a straight steerer, the crown will mot clear Pugsley's down tube.

mtbr member
    Let me check. Is a Mattoc better than a Reba?

I had a Bluto through the workshop last week. I should have weighed it.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That question is not deserving of an answer... listen to the crickets.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the well thought out reply, mikesee (...and yeah, sorry about the delayed response). My longstanding thought has been that a Pike with 150mm front hub spacing and 120mm travel would be a perfect balance between weight and performance for all the same reasons a Pike works better than a Reba on a mtb. If this Mastodon is even close to a Pike, then I think it would answer a lot of the needs and wants of a lot of us on this sub-forum.

...What again is going to be the production weight of this fork? In my mind, any fork over 4.6 lbs brings the Bluto back into discussion, as around there is where I see the fork as becoming "heavy" for anything other than the rough & steep stuff.

If we're discussing chassis stiffness and damping quality, they don't even belong in the same discussion. Mastodon is awesome.

Looking at it from a different perspective, Bluto might be lighter. Once Mastodon is released Bluto will undoubtedly be cheaper. If weight and cost trump performance, then Bluto might be better for you.
    Last edited by awai04; 04-16-2017 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the well thought out reply, mikesee (...and yeah, sorry about the delayed response). My longstanding thought has been that a Pike with 150mm front hub spacing and 120mm travel would be a perfect balance between weight and performance for all the same reasons a Pike works better than a Reba on a mtb. If this Mastodon is even close to a Pike, then I think it would answer a lot of the needs and wants of a lot of us on this sub-forum.

...What again is going to be the production weight of this fork? In my mind, any fork over 4.6 lbs brings the Bluto back into discussion, as around there is where I see the fork as becoming "heavy" for anything other than the rough & steep stuff.
    We are talking about a fat bike, so "weight" is thrown out the window as soon as you start adding suspension. You want light, ride rigid.

We already have rigid (lightest), Lauf (minimalist spring suspension), Bluto (Light suspension fork), and DH forks (heavy duty), so the Mastodon fits right smack dab in the midweight suspension slot.

An additional pound for a robust 150mm travel fat bike fork is totally reasonable; think Wren. Certainly the relative weight penalty increases as that same "heavy" fork is mounted on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

The true answer is found in the pudding. A burlier fork has never been the answer for the folks who feel the Bluto is adequate, nor is this fork for folks who ride rigid.

The Mastodon is for the folks who have the Bluto and feel that it is not adequate.

mtbr member
    I do think weight does matter if you're talking about a bike that's still somewhat fun to trail ride for hours at a time. Even though full weight-weenie isn't the objective, some modest attention to weight is going enhance agility and response.

Agreed that success of this fork is going to come down to the details and how it actually rides.

We are talking about a fat bike, so "weight" is thrown out the window as soon as you start adding suspension. You want light, ride rigid.

We already have rigid (lightest), Lauf (minimalist spring suspension), Bluto (Light suspension fork), and DH forks (heavy duty), so the Mastodon fits right smack dab in the midweight suspension slot.

An additional pound for a robust 150mm travel fat bike fork is totally reasonable; think Wren. Certainly the relative weight penalty increases as that same "heavy" fork is mounted on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

The true answer is found in the pudding. A burlier fork has never been the answer for the folks who feel the Bluto is adequate, nor is this fork for folks who ride rigid.

The Mastodon is for the folks who have the Bluto and feel that it is not adequate.

mtbr member

Manitou Mastodon?

Found this on Instagram, Looks huge.

Seeing a 27.5" hodag in a bluto almost rubs the arch, look at that clearance!
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

White?

Someone please tell me it won't be white.

It does look like a comfy fit, very exciting, just hoping it'll be for sale when it goes live next week.

I'm running a B Fat Hodag on mine. Looks like a road tire in a Reba. Huge clearance with the Gnarwhal or Barbegazi too. I've installed the 2XL on a 105mm rim and it fits fine, but I haven't ridden with it yet. Still scratching my head and wondering when I'd want a 5" wide tire in a 6" travel fork.

mtbr member
    I'm running a B Fat Hodag on mine. Looks like a road tire in a Reba. Huge clearance with the Gnarwhal or Barbegazi too. I've installed the 2XL on a 105mm rim and it fits fine, but I haven't ridden with it yet. Still scratching my head and wondering when I'd want a 5" wide tire in a 6" travel fork.
    Options mannnnn, dont want to be limited!

As long as the 27.5 gnarwhal fits, then im happy. Still trying to decide between this or the lauf.....
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Agreed.

Still scratching my head and wondering when I'd want a 5" wide tire in a 6" travel fork.
    ...I hope these come in different travel lengths!

Professional Hobbyist
    White?

It does look like a comfy fit, very exciting, just hoping it'll be for sale when it goes live next week.
    You saw this cool pic and worried about the color?!? I thought it looked great but wondered wtf happened to the dropper post... I'm excited to finally have a good fat trail fork option.
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

beer thief
    ...Seeing a 27.5" hodag in a bluto almost rubs the arch, look at that clearance!
    I have 5/8" of clearance between my B-fat Hodag and Bluto arch, how does it almost rub?

Pretty stoked to see this fork come to market. I hope Fox follows suit to give us more options.

White?

Woah, woah, woah! You gave someone else sh1t right here in this thread for indicating a preference for black stanchions!

mtbr member
    White?

This one isn't white:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BR__AQnB...raftsuspension

SPV Devolve

sluice box
    White?

YES they will go with my fresh white Oakleys.
    Name:  7531199164_b141098b76.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  79.2 KB
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Woah, woah, woah! You gave someone else sh1t right here in this thread for indicating a preference for black stanchions!
    The irony of it all

I'd ride that fork if it was pepto bismal pink with flaming bunnies running down the legs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

The irony of it all

I'd ride that fork if it was pepto bismal pink with flaming bunnies running down the legs!
    The problem with white is I have nothing to wear... as we all know it's important to be color coordinated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    Hope it will be available with a straight steer tube for us Pugsley guys.
    No problems, here is a sneak-shot of manitou's pug specific version (from the 1990's)....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Mastodon?-img_5808.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    No problems, here is a sneak-shot of manitou's pug specific version (from the 1990's)....
    I like the colors, very subtle, has a bit of a retro look.

But I'm confused, those purple things, are they some sort.of advanced tire inflation system?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Was that a Manitou effort or an aftermarket conversion (wider crown and brace) of a 1995 Manitou Comp?
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dougal -
    I rigged this version up from a standard Manitou 3/comp, an even wider '95 crown would definitely be better even. My fat Manitou (aka dumbo?) has 92.5mm of clearance between the stanchions, just barely enough for a 3.8 larry tire (88mm carcass width on a 44mm snowcat rim). I had to modify the fork pushrod and elastomers/springs to bottom out before the tire hits the fork crown and also to extend the fork a bit when uncompressed. I transplanted the arch brace from a Manitou 1 fork (significantly taller) onto the Manitou 3 lowers in order to gain enough brace clearance for the taller tire. Installing/removing the wheel requires partially deflating the tire to get it past the cantilever brake bosses.

The forks coil spring has no dampening, I would like add the EPC dampening from a Manitou 4 but have not yet sourced an EPC donor. I would also like to try fabricating an entirely new fork dropout incorporating disk-brake mounts and more fork rake (these early manitous only had around 38mm or rake, generates excessive fork trail with a slack HTA.)

My Manitou dumbo suspension setup admittedly has its limitations but I've had it on my fat bike for almost 5 years now and it had been dependable, works reasonably well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Today it begins, any news?

I jusy need to know who gets my money and when it will arrive

mtbr member
    Today it begins, any news?

I jusy need to know who gets my money and when it will arrive
    Tomorrow it begins.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Tomorrow it begins.
    You're on the wrong side of the world, first Otter posting is already up.

Sadly, Mr Guitar has posted a comment suggesting Trek will be the only source for a Madtodon until 2018... and it'll only come on their bikes!

Seriously, I'll buy one of their bikes with a Mastodon and resell it with a Bluto.

mtbr member
    You're on the wrong side of the world, first Otter posting is already up.
    My official source says global release is still almost 12 hours away.

Patience Young Mastodon.
    SPV Devolve

beer thief
    ...Seriously, I'll buy one of their bikes with a Mastodon and resell it with a Bluto.
    Wow Ben, I think you and I may actually agree on something here

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Any news?

Found couple revives from Europe one is German one is Italian
    Hier gibts die ersten Lifebilder der brandeuen Manitou Mastodon Federgabel für FATBikes.

https://www.mtb-mag.com/forum/thread...n-test.351654/

I hope fox and roks poks wakeup an make same fat pike or fat 34/36

WNC Native
    My official source says global release is still almost 12 hours away.

Patience Young Mastodon.
    Ben doesn't know what Patience is.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Ben doesn't know what Patience is.
    The sad reality in this case is that the fork probably won't be available for purchase until next year. It makes sense if you're Trek, using the fork to sell complete bikes, but for Manitou it means a lost season of sales and the potentisl lost sales to a rival firk. I suppose they crunched the numbers and figured it out to a mutual benefit..

Anyone have stats on fork sales comparing Bluto sales on completes vs individual sales? I imagine completes are at least 75% of the sales.

Today could be the day...

WNC Native
    I'm trying to remember how long it was before you could buy the Magnum 29+ fork after the Stache was available. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was available separately shortly after the Stache.....?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's shown on manitou's site now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    It's shown on manitou's site now.
    Set up guide for the Pro model is now on site also....

mtbr member
    Manitou takes on fat bike forks with the Mastodon - BikeRadar

Mastodon features

Cold weather tested at -15C / 0F and colder temperatures
    34mm stanchions
    80, 100, 120, 140, 150mm travel options
    Fits 26 x 5.15in and 27.5 x 4.5in tires
    Two ride heights: standard as direct replacement and extended for increased tire room
    Pro weight for 26in / 100mm travel: 2,210g
    Comp weight for 26in / 100mm travel: 2,430g

So wide

Even off of a bike it was clear from the giant crown and prairie-wide stance that the Mastodon was designed to fit even the widest-of-the-wide fat bike rubber.

The chassis can easily surround the largest tires available; everything from Vee Rubber's 26 x 5.05in 2XL Snowshoes to Bontrager's Hodag 27.5 x 4.5in. There's also plenty of room for 29 x 3.0in plus tires.
    Dialed damping

The Mastodon uses damping technology derived from its well-received Mattoc and Dorado forks.

The forks are upgradable as well, accepting Manitou's Infinite Tuning Rate kit for additional mid-stroke control, and all of the seals, oils and internals are built to work in freezing temperatures thanks to Manitou's expertise in snowmobile racing.

Stiffness claims

Through the use of large 34mm stanchions and Manitou's classic reverse arch, both front and back and torsional stiffness is claimed to be improved over the Bluto. Manitou's testing puts these numbers at 26 percent and 25 percent respectively.
    Mastodon pricing and availability

Mastodon Comp: $649.99 with availability now
    Mastodon Pro: $849.99 with availability now
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Better pricing than I was expecting, and available NOW? I'm impressed and counting my pennies

mtbr member
    The sad reality in this case is that the fork probably won't be available for purchase until next year. It makes sense if you're Trek, using the fork to sell complete bikes, but for Manitou it means a lost season of sales and the potentisl lost sales to a rival firk. I suppose they crunched the numbers and figured it out to a mutual benefit..

Anyone have stats on fork sales comparing Bluto sales on completes vs individual sales? I imagine completes are at least 75% of the sales.

Today could be the day...

Happy now?

Available for aftermarket order immediately. You'll find a few extra choice bits of info on my site:
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mastodon-manitou.html
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    why is it $1600?
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Did the ".nz" get missed? Their not is the US, their in New Zealand, different currency.

So in New Zealand that's the price (in their currency not ours).

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    why is it $1600?
    Different currency and includes sales tax.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    why is it $1600?
    That is New Zealand dollars

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Did the ".nz" get missed? Their not is the US, their in New Zealand, different currency.

So in New Zealand that's the price (in their currency not ours).

.nz was perhaps overlooked as NebraZka🙄

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    happy now?

Available for aftermarket order immediately. You'll find a few extra choice bits of info on my site:
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mastodon-manitou.html
    very!

Questions:

Will the regular length fit a Minion 26 x 4.5, which is the same height as a Minion 27.5 x 3.8?

Your site says preorder, what is the expected arrival date for the forks in house?

Can I get it in white

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Son of a ..... Guess I am selling my fat bike now, frame won't take tapered forks (2011). Better to ask for forgiveness than permission come fall when I can sell it to buy a newer frame.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    On Dougal's site there is a straight steerer option as well as a 150mm travel option, though both are tbd.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Wait straight option? What spacing though?

www.rakcindustries.com

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Nevermind I'm dense, be 150 spacing. Guess just a new hub. Even longer I can hold out against 190/197 rear. Like my 170 Mukluk, fits 4.7 in the rear just barely.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    197mm rear spacing and suspension, two things that don't go good together.

So about my questions, Dougal, ya asleep already?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

So about my questions, Dougal, ya asleep already?
    Sorry to ask the newb question! Why not?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I wasn't meaning FS, just from rigid to hardtail.

And I just did the currency conversion, OUCH. $1100 for a fork WTF???

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Why do you say that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    $1100, that's pricey.

I suppose that will keep the lookie loos from getting in on the first run. It was $900 for the early Wren, $750 for the early Bluto, it seems the ante continues to increase.

Anyone know if Fox or SRAM are planning to announce a fat fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    For those stateside it is $650 and $850 for comp and pro respectively. The $1100 was the cost in New Zealand converting $NZD1600 into $USD1100 for a pro

mtbr member
    very!

Questions:

Will the regular length fit a Minion 26 x 4.5, which is the same height as a Minion 27.5 x 3.8?

Your site says preorder, what is the expected arrival date for the forks in house?

Can I get it in white
    Have you got the OD of a Minion 26x4.5?
    I don't yet have all the details to confirm, but around 800mm tyre diameter is I think the break point between the standard and extended versions.

There's no point you ordering from me unless you live in New Zealand. I'm halfway around the planet from the US.
    The guys who fill the orders are currently [S]living it up[/S] working hard at Sea-Otter. I'm expecting 2-3 weeks from order confirmation as freight and customs clearance to me takes about a week by itself.

No white on the order forms. Just Matte Black. It could be an OEM only colour right now. They do still make paint though.

Straight steerer and 150mm travel options are details I'll have to confirm later.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    For those stateside it is $650 and $850 for comp and pro respectively. The $1100 was the cost in New Zealand converting $NZD1600 into $USD1100 for a pro
    Yep and then roll in 15% sales tax, air-freight and customs clearance fees. Stuff gets expensive here. That's about $NZ100-200 cheaper than an RCT3 Pike.

Our wages don't scale up to match either.

We'll see how demand goes and if anyone wants to wait 2 months for cheaper sea-freight.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yep and then roll in 15% sales tax, air-freight and customs clearance fees. Stuff gets expensive here. That's about $NZ100-200 cheaper than an RCT3 Pike.

We'll see how demand goes and if anyone wants to wait 2 months for cheaper sea-freight.
    I know the deal. I'm a Kiwi living in Mozambique. Back in the day(in NZ) used to order last season's bikes from the States. Still used to be cheaper than buying local. Golf clubs the same deal

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Dougal, obviously most of us US based fruits won't be buying a fork from you, but your contribution here is greatly appreciated!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    Sorry to ask the newb question! Why not?
    Because your fork will be able to telepathically sense your rear spacing. Anything over 177 and it'll grow arms and refuse to go into your tapered head tube that was freaking designed to take a suspension fork.

For the love of God Ben, people listen to what you say on this forum so please stop letting your own preferences get in the way of reality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For the love of God Ben, people listen to what you say on this forum so please stop letting your own preferences get in the way of reality.
    Lighten up.
    I, for one, look forward to the Nurse's post about his struggle to buy the Mastodon.

Then his posts raving about it.

Then his post that it's for sale.

Then the posts bad mouthing it....while going back to the previous fork that he previously hated.

Circle of life stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Because your fork will be able to telepathically sense your rear spacing. Anything over 177 and it'll grow arms and refuse to go into your tapered head tube that was freaking designed to take a suspension fork.

Keifer,

People should have enough sense to think, and thinking is what people should be doing. The market is not always in step with the science. Just as a 100mm bb is not necessary to run a 4" tire, a 197mm spacing is not necessary to run a 4.5 tire.

I can't help that people think bigger is better, maybe it's an AmeriCan thing, but there are always diminishing returns as we draw closer to the limits.

Anyone listening to me is also listening to others, it balances out.

I'm sorry you bought a Wren, I feel your pain, I went through a lot with that fork. Maybe you didn't listen to me long.enough

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have you got the OD of a Minion 26x4.5?
    I don't yet have all the details to confirm, but around 800mm tyre diameter is I think the break point between the standard
    29 x 3 Minion on a 45mm id rim is ~760mm, 26 x 4.5 Minion on a 65mm id rim is about 750mm.

If thise tires fit the "regular, non extended", whuch I assume is the 26", then I'll get the regular.

Is the extended designed (27.5?) a future proof for sizes, ie 29 x 4, 26 x 6, etc...?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Keifer,

People should have enough sense to think, and thinking is what people should be doing. The market is not always in step with the science. Just as a 100mm bb is not necessary to run a 4" tire, a 197mm spacing is not necessary to run a 4.5 tire.

I can't help that people think bigger is better, maybe it's an AmeriCan thing, but there are always diminishing returns as we draw closer to the limits.

Anyone listening to me is also listening to others, it balances out.

I'm sorry you bought a Wren, I feel your pain, I went through a lot with that fork. Maybe you didn't listen to me long.enough
    People can think for themselves yes, but when a prominent member of a popular forum posts, that post holds more weight than others.

Sure their are others who are equally respected who people listen to as well, but probably 90 percent of the time on this board your voice is the loudest.

What your post comes down to is axle spacing has absolutely nothing to do with whether your bike should have suspension. The ice cream truck was designed with a slack head angle and a bluto in mind. Are you going to sit there and say people should only ride it rigid?

I would agree that 177 is probably a better standard in regards to bearing life, heel clearance, etc.

I'm happy with my wren and Russ has always been very helpful. When your mastodon blows up have fun dealing with their warranty department or your lbs.

Just as mayor said, once a fat pike comes a long the mastodon will be relegated to the likes of wren.

Nothing I say is personal against you, please keep that in mind. Just stop the spread of misinformation.

mtbr member
    Just as mayor said, once a fat pike comes a long the mastodon will be relegated to the likes of wren.
    Agreed. Published weights are 2200-2400g depending on the Comp or Pro model, which equals 4.85 - 5.3 lbs. A minority of fat bikers with DH in mind will find the weight range just fine. For riders who want a slightly sturdier-than-Bluto/Reba fork at >100mm travel for their all-purpose hardtail fat bikes, the door is still open for a lighter trail fork to come along.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like heavy forks, they go down hill faster.

mtbr member
    29 x 3 Minion on a 45mm id rim is ~760mm, 26 x 4.5 Minion on a 65mm id rim is about 750mm.

If thise tires fit the "regular, non extended", whuch I assume is the 26", then I'll get the regular.

Is the extended designed (27.5?) a future proof for sizes, ie 29 x 4, 26 x 6, etc...?
    Found it here: https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...ange-Guide.pdf
    756mm max for standard version. 796mm max for extended version.

That is, of course, with Manitou's usual safety clearance to allow for fork and wheel flex at full compression. Going beyond their recommendations is at your own risk.

I'm happy with my wren and Russ has always been very helpful. When your mastodon blows up have fun dealing with their warranty department or your lbs.

Sounds like you've not ridden a Mattoc or Magnum. They don't blow up, are extremely easy to work on and performance wise are a big step up over a Pike. It would be an eye opener for you to get a ride on one.

Agreed. Published weights are 2200-2400g depending on the Comp or Pro model, which equals 4.85 - 5.3 lbs. A minority of fat bikers with DH in mind will find the weight range just fine. For riders who want a slightly sturdier-than-Bluto/Reba fork at >100mm travel for their all-purpose hardtail fat bikes, the door is still open for a lighter trail fork to come along.
    Mattocs are slightly lighter than Pike in the same configuration (wheel size, travel and steerer length). If RS make a fat pike it will likely be slightly heavier than the Mastodon.

If you want lighter then you have to start sacrificing metal. Stiffness is one of the first things to go. Tube sizes will have to decrease and/or brace and crown material. There is no free lunch.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    Dougal, obviously most of us US based fruits won't be buying a fork from you, but your contribution here is greatly appreciated!!!
    Happy to help. Ironically I'm not a Fat Biker. But now I've got a hankering to find one just so I can ride a Mastodon!
    SPV Devolve

Sounds like you've not ridden a Mattoc or Magnum. They don't blow up, are extremely easy to work on and performance wise are a big step up over a Pike. It would be an eye opener for you to get a ride on one.

I've owned 4 Pike's. The small bump sensitivity is incredible. Chassis stiffness is incredible. Big hit performance was usually lacking, as was mid-stroke support. Pike could be fiddled with and these attributes could be improved to an extent, but I was never able to completely remove the dive or the 'clack' without adversely affecting small bump sensitivity. In other words, you had to give up something, somewhere.

I find no such compromises with Magnum or Mastodon. You can truly have all 4 at once, once fine fiddling has been done.

There will always be some that complain about weight, or cost, or even color. Their prerogative. No one fork (or bike, or tire, or lip gloss...) works for everyone.

Mastodon is the first fat fork that can fit every tire currently on the market, and some yet to be released or even imagined. That it can do this *and* perform so well in every area puts it head and shoulders above any other fork, at any price point, real or imagined.

mtbr member
    There will always be some that complain about weight, or cost, or even color. Their prerogative. No one fork (or bike, or tire, or lip gloss...) works for everyone.
    That's a good point. At the end of current discussion, most of us cannot fairly evaluate the Mastodon until we've spent some time with one in front of our pedals. Will 5 lbs really be "too heavy" for most trail riders? Even if the answer is yes, then there's no reason Manitou can't follow up with a lighter "SL" version. Just the fact that Manitou now has a fat fork puts them at least a full season ahead of the other major manufacturers.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I've owned 4 Pike's. The small bump sensitivity is incredible. Chassis stiffness is incredible. Big hit performance was usually lacking, as was mid-stroke support...

I find no such compromises with Magnum or Mastodon. You can truly have all 4 at once, once fine fiddling has been done. , or tire, or lip gloss...) works for everyone.

Mastodon is the first fat fork that can fit every tire currently on the market, and some yet to be released or even imagined. That it can do this *and* perform so well in every area puts it head and shoulders above any other fork, at any price point, real or imagined.
    Mike, thank you for comparing the Mastodon to the Pike.

What are your thoughts of the Mastodon vs the Fox 34? If you do not wish to go over a 4" tire, is the fox still the fork of choice?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    Mike, thank you for comparing the Mastodon to the Pike.

What are your thoughts of the Mastodon vs the Fox 34? If you do not wish to go over a 4" tire, is the fox still the fork of choice?

Thanks!

i think the only real compelling reasons to stick with the Fox are:

-You can buy one right now, today, and
    -You are very unlikely to have crown/frame interference with the (relatively narrow) Fox fork.

I have the Mastodon EXT -- it's as tall and wide as any fork, ever. And I have no trouble running it on my Meriwether 2XL bike, nor on my Fatillac B Fat FS bike.

I can't tell a difference in weight nor chassis stiffness between them. The stock Mastodon air spring and damper are more tunable out of the box than the Fox.

The Fox can easily fit 3.5ish tires, but if you want to run a true 4" tire, on anything wider than a ~60mm rim, clearance gets very tight very fast. No room for mud.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    The Fox can easily fit 3.5ish tires, but if you want to run a true 4" tire, on anything wider than a ~60mm rim, clearance gets very tight very fast. No room for mud.
    that made my wheel purchasing decision much easier. Thanks Mike!

...I hope these come in different travel lengths!

Lost amidst all of the hype, numbers, and speculation is, perhaps, the most awesome thing about the Mastodon: Infinite (and tool free) travel adjust.

Same as Dorado and Magnum, you thread your pump onto the fork, set travel (by manually compressing or extending the lowers), then disconnect pump. Voila. Literally that easy. I've run the Mastodon at ~80mm travel (pictured, below on my Meriwether) and at ~150mm travel on my Fatillac.

Keep in mind that if you order a 120mm fork, it won't be able to be stretched beyond that. Takeaway = unless you're sure you'll never need moar, order a longer travel version and simply set the travel shorter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Mastodon?-8a3a7316.jpg  

Is dang happy!

Quit complaining ya Hobbit, at least your leader can speak in sentences and you get to ride great terrain all winter.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lost amidst all of the hype, numbers, and speculation is, perhaps, the most awesome thing about the Mastodon: Infinite (and tool free) travel adjust.

Same as Dorado and Magnum, you thread your pump onto the fork, set travel (by manually compressing or extending the lowers), then disconnect pump. Voila. Literally that easy. I've run the Mastodon at ~80mm travel (pictured, below on my Meriwether) and at ~150mm travel on my Fatillac.

Keep in mind that if you order a 120mm fork, it won't be able to be stretched beyond that. Takeaway = unless you're sure you'll never need moar, order a longer travel version and simply set the travel shorter.
    Thanks for the real world info!
    On the other hand....endless threads of people struggling with setting travel in 5...4...3...2....

mtbr member
    There are spacers included in the forks so each fork can be spaced a little. The 120mm forks can do from 140-100mm just with spacers. The 100mm forks can do 100-80mm just with spacers.

You can, of course, do more travel adjustment than that with spacers. But the positive/negative air volumes get quite different to design point.

This is on top of the "connect pump and put it where you want it" convenience.

Travel adjust guide here: https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...ange-Guide.pdf
    Last edited by Dougal; 05-04-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Clarified travel limits
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    On looking at the Manitou Website they have a two travels and two wheel sizes for the Comp and Pro. Just confirming that the 27.5 are the extended ride height rather than the 26? It's a bit confusing because they have 27.5 listed on both sizes but the buy locally does not state std vs extended just 26 vs 27.5.

-Extended ride height versions fit up to 26×5.15” / 27.5×4.5” tires
    -Standard ride height versions fit up to 26×4” / 27.5×3.8” tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

mikesee- have you run this with a 27.5 tire at all? I want to get a Mastodon for a Trek Farley 9.8 and the STD vs EXT is confusing. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dnek1999 View Post
    mikesee- have you run this with a 27.5 tire at all? I want to get a Mastodon for a Trek Farley 9.8 and the STD vs EXT is confusing. Thoughts?

I've run mine with 27.5 x 3.5" Hodag, 27.5 x 4.5 Barbe and Gnar, and 26 x 5" 2XL. I think with the STD you are limited to less than a 4" tire. There's a chart out there somewhere that explains which tires fit in which.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've run mine with 27.5 x 3.5" Hodag, 27.5 x 4.5 Barbe and Gnar, and 26 x 5" 2XL. I think with the STD you are limited to less than a 4" tire. There's a chart out there somewhere that explains which tires fit in which.
    With the EXT version, should we be concerned with the crowns hitting the downtube? I have a Farley 9.8 and would be interested in putting this on if I can verify that the crowns wont hit the downtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    With the EXT version, should we be concerned with the crowns hitting the downtube? I have a Farley 9.8 and would be interested in putting this on if I can verify that the crowns wont hit the downtube.
    The crowns and crown-frame clearance won't change. The difference between STD and EXT (or 26" vs 27" on some literature) is in the air shaft and damper shaft lengths.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The crowns and crown-frame clearance won't change. The difference between STD and EXT (or 26" vs 27" on some literature) is in the air shaft and damper shaft lengths.
    Wrong. The lower castings are different to allow the larger tire

mtbr member
    Wrong. The lower castings are different to allow the larger tire
    Seriously? You're trying to call me wrong on Manitou stuff? That is not going to work for you.

Here is the service guide for the Mastodon: https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-conten...vice-Guide.pdf
    Page 4 of the PDF (numbered page 6) has all the parts listings.

Std and Ext use exactly the same lower legs. Same part number: 141-34087-K009.
    Only differences are the air shafts and rebound shafts.
    Which is exactly what I said earlier.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I stand corrected.
    I guess my rep needs a copy of this manual. Doh!
    Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    wait, it doesnt make sense. according to the tire size clearance chart. the std version does not clear a lot of tires. but ext clears them, meaning they must have different casting tho.
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    wait, it doesnt make sense. according to the tire size clearance chart. the std version does not clear a lot of tires. but ext clears them, meaning they must have different casting tho.
    From the manual Dougal posted....I'd assume the longer damper and shafts keep the tire from bottoming on the underside of the crown....and there is plenty of room in the arch.
    But seeing I've been wrong here already...Dougal?

mtbr member
    It's pretty simple.
    The lower legs have clearance for the biggest tyres. The limit on tyre size is the crown and how low that compresses. This is changed with spacers internally under the bottom-out bumpers.
    Because the bottom-out height (and hence stroke) changes the extended version has longer rods to extend higher and keep the same travel.

This is the same way Manitou do 26-27" on the Mattoc. Lower legs have clearance for the 27" tyres but they compress further when spacers are set to 26" mode.

In the Mattoc they run the same rods for 26/27, it's close enough that only spacers and HBO cones move.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It's friggin awesome.
    Curious how you think it compares to the Wren.

Human Test Subject
    I pulled the trigger on a comp. No idea when it will arrive or if my bike will even be ridable by the time it does. Last winter trashed my headset, BB, and both brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    To clarify:

26" x 120mm non-extended travel fork fits up to 26 x 4"/27.5 × 3.8 tires and is adjustable ftom 100mm to 140mm travel.

27.5" x 120mm extended travel fork fits up to 26 x 5.15/27.5 × 4.5 and is adjustable from 100mm to 140mm.

So here's my question: a 26 x 4.5 is the same height as a 27 x 3.8, and damn near the same height as a 29 x 3.

If I don't plan to run anything taller than a 29 x 3, which has a diameter of ~760mm, can I run the 26" non extended fork?

My buddy spoke with Manitou today, they said the forks are on the way to the distributors (QBP, etc).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast