Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1361
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Maybe we need a Mastodon friends group to support people when they get their first fork?

So Iíll start:

Iím in the Tahoe area, if anyone is struggling with their Mastodon or has concerns before getting a Mastodon, send me a PM and Iíll give you a hand. I also have a couple bikes set up with Mastodon forks that you can check out.
    If you want to fly to MA to examine mine, that would be great. I rode my Fox bike after my last ride to double check that Mastadon clunk isn't in my head, and it isn't. Fox was smooth and clunkless. I'll hope oil level is what is off on mine.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thatís a bit far for me, but we could in Moab, Iíll be there in mid March

If the clunking doesnít go away, break the whole fork down and look inside, itís a good learning experience and it might just answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    If you want to fly to MA to examine mine, that would be great. I rode my Fox bike after my last ride to double check that Mastadon clunk isn't in my head, and it isn't. Fox was smooth and clunkless. I'll hope oil level is what is off on mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the clunking doesnít go away, break the whole fork down and look inside, itís a good learning experience and it might just answer the question.
    This is good advise if you're mechanically inclined and can follow the service manual, make sure your have the proper fluids, fork oil, semi-bath oil (I used Mobil one) and Slickoleum grease (Slick Honey or Super slick from Rock-n-Roll) The Mattoc tool kit is pretty nice, if you donít feel like modifying a cassette tool, and grinding down a 8mm deepwell socket.

I bought a 120mm standard fork, on Ben's recommendation, and added one bottom-out spacer on each leg and removed one Top-out spacer, plenty of room for the studded 4.5" Gnarwhal's when fully compressed.

I'm happy with my fork so far, the only hiccup was the steering tube not being pressed all the way in, and after about 35 miles, I think it's bottomed out now.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Why does this knucklehead think you need new lowers for the Bluto when the bushings wear out?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    That is a great review. Deserves its own thread so it isn't lost in here.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    That is a great review. Deserves its own thread so it isn't lost in here.
    Aye.
    Done, Sir!
    Suspension fork test
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As if there was ever any doubts...

The Wren is way sloppier than they assessed, kinda makes me wonder if they actually placed the wheel between their legs and gave the bars a twist. Of course that is a characteristic of inverted forks so maybe they didnít care? The damping and temp issues are well known. The tire rubbing is easy to simulate, they just didnít try hard enough.

I canít believe the testers didnít know enough about the Mastodon to get the STD for the test. The STD has no less tire cleaner than the Bluto and certainly at least as much clearance as the Wren. Suggesting Manitou revise their tire compatibility table doesnít excuse their poor choice.

They should have done head to head comparisons on the Mutz with all three forks set at 120mm, that would have been very telling.

At least they got the conclusions right

strider
    Nov 2010

Another Recent Mastodon Vs Bluto Comparison

I didn't see this recent comparison posted here yet so I figured I'd add it to the mix:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...astodon-51741/

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Manitou Mastodon?-20180309_222055.jpg

Just got my Mastodon Pro installed yesterday along with a dropper seatpost. Looking forward to heading out to the trails today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180309_222055.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1186859

Just got my Mastodon Pro installed yesterday along with a dropper seatpost. Looking forward to heading out to the trails today.
    Does the crown clear the down tube?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by akt42 View Post
    Does the crown clear the down tube?
    It has a 3mm spacer on it and I wish it was 5mm instead. The knob does touch the downtube enough to change its setting, but the bar can go a 180 degrees.

So in a word, yes, but there is contact.

I may have a 5-6mm spacer made instead.

All fat, all the time.
    It has a 3mm spacer on it and I wish it was 5mm instead. The knob does touch the downtube enough to change its setting, but the bar can go a 180 degrees.

So in a word, yes, but there is contact.

I may have a 5-6mm spacer made instead.
    I saw somewhere, there are different knobs to help clearance...I think I read it on the salsa bucksaw website...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I saw somewhere, there are different knobs to help clearance...I think I read it on the salsa bucksaw website...
    If you find out more, let me know. Otherwise I just have to change crown races.

mtbr member
    Who is making fenders for this fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Who is making fenders for this fork?
    https://beaverguardfatbike.com/produ...-mastodon-fork

passed out in your garden
    last thing I want is a Beaver guard, I want as much Beaver as i can get
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    last thing I want is a Beaver guard, I want as much Beaver as i can get
    Lol Well, it's a beaver mud guard, not a beaver guard This thing guards you from beaver mud, it's for your safety...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Did a 10 mile ride yesterday and ended up having to tighten headset again afterwards. I've got to be about set now. Maybe one more good ride and I'll be fully seated.

Opened my damper and added a few mm of 3wt oil tonight that at least seems to reduce or eliminate top out clunk, even if placebo effect. 13mm nut under dial was finger tight at best though not sure if that would have contributed.

Regardless, liking the fork a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I might be being a bit stupid, but isn't the fork getting less and less seated each time it moves? What holds it in its final position?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy99 View Post
    I might be being a bit stupid, but isn't the fork getting less and less seated each time it moves? What holds it in its final position?
    Steerer tube is being pulled further up into the crown. Each time I loosen my stem, I can tighten the top cap and pull the slack out of the steerer tube/headset. Eventually the tapper of the tube and crown should be so tight there is no movement left.

I've been riding off or into rocks extra hard right after I tighten each time to try to get any additional slack out immediately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Steerer tube is being pulled further up into the crown. Each time I loosen my stem, I can tighten the top cap and pull the slack out of the steerer tube/headset. Eventually the tapper of the tube and crown should be so tight there is no movement left.

I've been riding off or into rocks extra hard right after I tighten each time to try to get any additional slack out immediately.
    Ah right, so I guess the fork is made by pushing the steerer tube in from the bottom of the crown? I was thinking it was the other way around, but that makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy99 View Post
    It's flanged. Once the flange hits it can't pull up any further.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey NBen. What do you ride while in Moab. We do Bartlet Wash up North and Slick Rock out east of Moab. I think we are doing Sovereign Single track today. Wanted to do Porcupine Rim again this year but my buds want to do new stuff. We've done Sovereign on the dirt bikes a bunch but not the Mountainbikes.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Klondike at least once, I camp out there on the way out.

Might do the open section of Enchilada, meeting friends who have been there all week, so whatever they havenít done.

My buddies may not be too fit, new parents and working stiffs, so Iíll probab do double days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    LOL. Yep thats me. Out a shape working Stiff. Havent done that Whole Encha yet. Maybe some day. Looks like a fantastic day ahead. Hiking Fiery Furnace tomorrow in Arches. Looks like a lot of snow yet up there on the mountains. We did Beef Basin yesterday down in Needles. Exit to the south East was all blocked with snow. Had to come out up over Elephant hill.

Have a good week man!!

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Are you there now?

We'll be there Thursday AM, holler at me if you want to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by NHayden View Post
    LOL. Yep thats me. Out a shape working Stiff. Havent done that Whole Encha yet. Maybe some day. Looks like a fantastic day ahead. Hiking Fiery Furnace tomorrow in Arches. Looks like a lot of snow yet up there on the mountains. We did Beef Basin yesterday down in Needles. Exit to the south East was all blocked with snow. Had to come out up over Elephant hill.

Have a good week man!!

Hayden.

mtbr member
    If you find out more, let me know. Otherwise I just have to change crown races.
    You can replace the compression knob with the one that comes on the Manitou Circus. I just got this info from Salsa's tech support. They say you can likely just call them direct and get it, otherwise hit up your LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just saw that there are new low friction seals for 34mm Manitou forks. Do they come mounted on the 2018 forks? Or are they just an upgrade so far?
    I will soon get a Mastodon Comp, how could I know if I have the newer seals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post
    I just saw that there are new low friction seals for 34mm Manitou forks. Do they come mounted on the 2018 forks? Or are they just an upgrade so far?
    I will soon get a Mastodon Comp, how could I know if I have the newer seals?
    All Mastodon got the new seals. They were released with those forks to get the low temperature performance.

It's the earlier Mattoc and Magnum forks that can (and should) be upgraded. All 2018 34mm forks have them stock.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Are you there now?

We'll be there Thursday AM, holler at me if you want to ride.
    Yes we are. We played on Sovereign Single Track today for a bit. Had to fix a KTM oil leak this morning. It was a warm day....almost hot. I think our next outing on the bikes is Sat Morning for a bit before we head back to KS, Sat after noon.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    KTM oil leak? I didn't know KTM made mountain bikes

We lose our housing Sat am, friends are driving back to Denver, so we'll have breakfast in town then head to Klondike or go over to GJ.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    All Mastodon got the new seals. They were released with those forks to get the low temperature performance.

It's the earlier Mattoc and Magnum forks that can (and should) be upgraded. All 2018 34mm forks have them stock.
    Thank you very much Dougal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Cane Creek has a +6 40mm crown race

Brand new to the mtbr forums, but really wanted to share this info. I just ordered a Mastodon Pro EXT 100 for my Beargrease, then immediately started to panic when I checked the Salsa site to find that they now specifically call out the Mastodon as being incompatible with it! But thanks to this thread, I found at least one mention of a Mastodon being successfully installed on said fat bike. Since I will still probably have crown clearance issues because of the frame design, I've been looking into various fork bumpers and rubber/foam armor to prevent any damage.

I might have resolved it thanks to a random find on Universal Cycles. Cane Creek just released a +6 40mm crown race! I was about to pull the trigger on the +3 Salsa Crown Race and pray for the best, but I'm hopeful that this newer one will provide enough clearance (might have to change out the compression knob too, as mentioned in an earlier post).

I've just gotten into mountain biking in the last year after losing a ton of weight (330-220), and these forums were a big help in finding information when I decided I wanted a year-round fat bike. So a big thanks to everyone who posted on here to describe the pros and cons of the Mastodon (after reading nearly this entire thread, I might go with Nurse Ben's advice and send the EXT back for the STD. Sounds like it'll still take my 27.5 x 3.8 Minions, and have clearance for the 29+ set I might build later this year. And then I avoid any AC length issues).

Sorry if I sound weirdly effusive. Just really happy that I can probably make this fork work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Wow. Now thats some weight loss. Congrats.

These guys have been a big help here in getting this fork to match up to so many bikes. I got the Std Pro 120 about 3 weeks ago. It went on a 2017 Trek Farley EX8. Its first outing was in Moab Ut which is where Im still at. Ive been very impressed with it this week. The steerer tube did seat a bit after playing in the BMX park here. We tighted it up and went on playing. I may have been a little peeeved if I didnt know already that it was bound to happen. Thanks to these guys, it was no big deal. Really happy with my Mastodon.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dump the EXT, itís not necessary. Also might want to thing about getting the 120mm and using a shock pump to reduce travel. The 100mm is limited to 00-100mm travel whereas the 120mm can be run 0-150mm.

It never hurts to have a fork that has more range.

If I was Manitou Iíd dump the EXT and 100mm versions, sell the Comp and Pro STD only.

I wish theyíd build a fork designed for 3-4Ē tires, call it Bfat Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight365 View Post
    Brand new to the mtbr forums, but really wanted to share this info. I just ordered a Mastodon Pro EXT 100 for my Beargrease, then immediately started to panic when I checked the Salsa site to find that they now specifically call out the Mastodon as being incompatible with it! But thanks to this thread, I found at least one mention of a Mastodon being successfully installed on said fat bike. Since I will still probably have crown clearance issues because of the frame design, I've been looking into various fork bumpers and rubber/foam armor to prevent any damage.

I might have resolved it thanks to a random find on Universal Cycles. Cane Creek just released a +6 40mm crown race! I was about to pull the trigger on the +3 Salsa Crown Race and pray for the best, but I'm hopeful that this newer one will provide enough clearance (might have to change out the compression knob too, as mentioned in an earlier post).

I've just gotten into mountain biking in the last year after losing a ton of weight (330-220), and these forums were a big help in finding information when I decided I wanted a year-round fat bike. So a big thanks to everyone who posted on here to describe the pros and cons of the Mastodon (after reading nearly this entire thread, I might go with Nurse Ben's advice and send the EXT back for the STD. Sounds like it'll still take my 27.5 x 3.8 Minions, and have clearance for the 29+ set I might build later this year. And then I avoid any AC length issues).

Sorry if I sound weirdly effusive. Just really happy that I can probably make this fork work.

WNC Native
    I wish theyíd build a fork designed for 3-4Ē tires, call it Bfat Plus.
    They've had that fork for 2-3 years now, 27.5+ Magnum/Mattoc
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode Klondike, Ahab, Mag Seven, Klonzo.

Klonzo is pretty mellow, but it was on the way out and we had some newer riders.

Ahab was great as always. Mag Seven is fun, not really hard, but itís got some mileage to it.

Moab blacks are a tad easier than GJ blacks, thereís stuff in Lunch Loops that I walk every time.

Quote Originally Posted by NHayden View Post
    Yes we are. We played on Sovereign Single Track today for a bit. Had to fix a KTM oil leak this morning. It was a warm day....almost hot. I think our next outing on the bikes is Sat Morning for a bit before we head back to KS, Sat after noon.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    They've had that fork for 2-3 years now, 27.5+ Magnum/Mattoc
    I think Magnum won't fit 27.5+ 4" tires.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    I think Magnum won't fit 27.5+ 4" tires.
    You've never had your hands on a magnum. On 65mm rims it will likely fit. Might be a little close (not a ton of room for mud). I have 3.0s on i45s and all kinds of room left. We already know 27.5 Hodags fit no problem, which are 3.8.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    You've never had your hands on a magnum. On 65mm rims it will likely fit. Might be a little close (not a ton of room for mud). I have 3.0s on i45s and all kinds of room left. We already know 27.5 Hodags fit no problem, which are 3.8.
    You're right, I never had that fork. But sometime ago, before I bought Mastodon Pro, I was considering Magnum Pro for 27.5 3.5-4.0" tires on 45-50mm rims, I did a research on topic and I believe I read about fitting or clearance issues. Maybe I am wrong though, it will be great if Magnum can fit 27.5x4.0.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by akt42 View Post
    You can replace the compression knob with the one that comes on the Manitou Circus. I just got this info from Salsa's tech support. They say you can likely just call them direct and get it, otherwise hit up your LBS.
    Just got off the phone with their tech support. This will work for the Comp but not the Pro model. With the Pro, I'm stuck with what I have. I may just leave it; there's a scratch in the powder coat on the downtube of my bike now anyway.

WNC Native
    You're right, I never had that fork. But sometime ago, before I bought Mastodon Pro, I was considering Magnum Pro for 27.5 3.5-4.0" tires on 45-50mm rims, I did a research on topic and I believe I read about fitting or clearance issues. Maybe I am wrong though, it will be great if Magnum can fit 27.5x4.0.
    I have the Magnum 27.5+ and am running Bonty Hodag 27.5x3.8 on a 50mm Mulefut rim. I have around a 1/4-3/8" clearance everywhere around the tire.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 03-19-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I have the Magnum 27.5+ and am running Bonty Hodag 27.5x3.8 on a 50mm Mulefit rim. I have around a 1/4-3/8" clearance everywhere around the tire.
    Thanks, good to know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    I bought a 120mm standard fork, on Ben's recommendation, and added one bottom-out spacer on each leg and removed one Top-out spacer, plenty of room for the studded 4.5" Gnarwhal's when fully compressed.
    Any chance that you could provide measurement and/or pic of clearance between Gnarwhal's and fully compressed fork?

I'm am leaning toward returning the 120 ext for a 120 std. I also run 29x3.0 Chupas on Arc45 and hoping this combo will work with modified 120 std.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They work with the non modified STD, but I already mentioned that more than a few times

I would never get an EXT unless I was running an XXL, but then that use begs the question of why in the world anyone would run a suspension fork with an XXL...

The EXT is not necessary for any application. Worst case scenario, for the type A's in the crowd, you add a spacer to an STD to increase the bottom out by 10mm.

I'm running Chupas and they clear my STD by more than a 1/4" at full compression, also fit the Minion 29 x 3".

Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    Any chance that you could provide measurement and/or pic of clearance between Gnarwhal's and fully compressed fork?

I'm am leaning toward returning the 120 ext for a 120 std. I also run 29x3.0 Chupas on Arc45 and hoping this combo will work with modified 120 std.

mtbr member
    The EXT is not necessary for any application.
    Next you'll be telling us monster trucks make horrible commuter cars!

Some people just want 6" of travel with bigger tyres than everyone else!
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Manitou Mastodon?-20180309_212026.jpg

I wish I knew how to figure out this forum software and why it rotates my pictures the wrong way. Here is my 100mm pro/ext with Bud. I know it's not the best angle to see the exact amount of clearance. I'll get you a better one when I'm home.

mtbr member

Name:	20180309_212026.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1188635

I wish I knew how to figure out this forum software and why it rotates my pictures the wrong way. Here is my 100mm pro/ext with Bud. I know it's not the best angle to see the exact amount of clearance. I'll get you a better one when I'm home.
    I believe he is asking for clearance with no air in the fork and fully compressed but given that you have the EXT there is certainly no reason to believe there isn't tons of clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I donít have a picture with it compressed, but I have one with it extended, with a scale next to it, the Gnarwhal WILL crash into the standard fork crown when fully compressed, thatís why I added one bottom-out spacer to each leg.

Manitou Mastodon?-img_e5815a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    but then that use begs the question of why in the world anyone would run a suspension fork with an XXL...
    Why would I want to change the fork when I change the tire? "Who can do more..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you say so, but since I have tried it I'm pretty sure a 6" tire with a suspension fork sucks, but then that's just an opinion from an internet cubicle rider

Mike Curiak told me the same thing I'm now saying, but I didn't believe it until I tried it.

To each their own.

Next you'll be telling us monster trucks make horrible commuter cars!

Some people just want 6" of travel with bigger tyres than everyone else!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's odd, I did the same measurement with a Barbe 27.5 x 4.5, no air, fully compressed the fork, bounced hard with 200# and had 5mm clearance.

I suppose the Gnar 4.5 could be taller, though they share the same casing. Could be the studs too.

Good thing Dougal figured out the trick for adding a travel limiter.

I donít have a picture with it compressed, but I have one with it extended, with a scale next to it, the Gnarwhal WILL crash into the standard fork crown when fully compressed, thatís why I added one bottom-out spacer to each leg.

Name:	IMG_E5815a.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1188641

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Because an EXT adds 20mm in A-C which makes the front end ridiculously high and wacks out the geo.

So running an EXT would mean reducing travel to get the corrent A-C, so now you're running a fork with a 20mm reduction in travel. Say the standard A-C matches a 100mm fork, well now you only get 80mm of travel from your five pound fork.

Yeah, sonds kinda dumb when you run through the numbers

Adding a travel limiter of 10mm to an STD will cover all current tires and the A-C/travel penalty is only 10mm AND you can always pull out the travel limited and cut your losses.

Quote Originally Posted by eFat View Post
    Why would I want to change the fork when I change the tire? "Who can do more..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Because an EXT adds 20mm in A-C which makes the front end ridiculously high and wacks out the geo.

So running an EXT would mean reducing travel to get the corrent A-C, so now you're running a fork with a 20mm reduction in travel. Say the standard A-C matches a 100mm fork, well now you only get 80mm of travel from your five pound fork.

Adding a travel limiter of 10mm to an STD will cover all current tires and the A-C/travel penalty is only 10mm AND you can always pull out the travel limited and cut your losses.
    Maybe I'm missing something or I'm just a slow rider, but with the proper sag, a 100mm fork is doing me just fine, and I certainly wouldn't compromise tire clearance for another 20mm of travel in front. Considering I'm riding the tractor of bicycles, another 20mm of travel isn't going to massively increase the enjoyment of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Like Dougal and couple others note, some folks like having a high front end; mind is not exactly low.

With that in mind, any bike that gets jacked up in the front will have jacked up geo, so high bb, reduced STA and HTA.

It'd make more sense to get a frame designed for the proposed fork A-C or get a fork that maintains some semblance of a normal A-C with the proposed frame.

My Fatillac is designed for a 150mm travel fork, but my Wozo is not. The Wozo with a 140mm Mastodon STD has a reduced angle STA which certainly affects fit and handling. Such is life, next hard tail fatty will be a custom designed for the fork I'm using.

Maybe I'm missing something or I'm just a slow rider, but with the proper sag, a 100mm fork is doing me just fine, and I certainly wouldn't compromise tire clearance for another 20mm of travel in front. Considering I'm riding the tractor of bicycles, another 20mm of travel isn't going to massively increase the enjoyment of the bike.

mtbr member
    KTM oil leak? I didn't know KTM made mountain bikes

We lose our housing Sat am, friends are driving back to Denver, so we'll have breakfast in town then head to Klondike or go over to GJ.
    They make some nice ones (but I suspect you know that):

https://ktmbikeindustries.com/bikes/mountain/

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Not if the bike is designed for.

Flying Sasquatch

+20mm on a 68 degree (or more) head angle bike IMHO is an improvement. But I've actually done that on 2 different bikes so my opinion is probably not worth anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    +20mm on a 68 degree (or more) head angle bike IMHO is an improvement. But I've actually done that on 2 different bikes so my opinion is probably not worth anything.
    +1 on the ICT got me 67 degrees. AKA, giant trail monster!

Your bike sucks
    I think NB's point was you are already gaining some A-C compared to the 100mm Bluto spec so pushing that extra 20mm EXT on top of what'd you be already gaining with a 120 Mastodon STD is starting to push things - no less going 140/150... on the EXT that's a whole lot.

Example:

Stock Bluto 100mm = 511
    Mastodon EXT 120 = 551

40mm increase...Going to 140 yields 60mm over stock which is a lot. Most ppl would like to see A to C increases come with a relative increase in travel - not just for the sake of extra A to C like it is with the EXT.

^In the context of a Wozo....YMMV

edit: tl;dr -> if you're gaining 20mm A to C better to get some travel out of the deal.
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 03-21-2018 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    ...So running an EXT would mean reducing travel to get the corrent A-C, so now you're running a fork with a 20mm reduction in travel. Say the standard A-C matches a 100mm fork, well now you only get 80mm of travel from your five pound fork.

Yeah, sounds kinda dumb when you run through the numbers

NB, you do have a way with words. But I am going to stick with the 120EXT - and use the "attach pump and adjust A2C method" to achieve the desired height and live with the resulting travel. Having a Tom John repaired elbow I'll take safer plushness over travel. And since this fork is going on my 4th Fatty frame I can not rule out acquiring a fifth Fatty Frame that this fork may work perfectly on at 551mm A2C.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    They work with the non modified STD, but I already mentioned that more than a few times

I would never get an EXT unless I was running an XXL, but then that use begs the question of why in the world anyone would run a suspension fork with an XXL...

The EXT is not necessary for any application. Worst case scenario, for the type A's in the crowd, you add a spacer to an STD to increase the bottom out by 10mm.

I'm running Chupas and they clear my STD by more than a 1/4" at full compression, also fit the Minion 29 x 3".
    What's the clearance like with 29 x 3 minions on the std? That's my main summer wheel/tire combo ( on 50 mm mulefuts) and currently with the bluto on hard impacts when I bottom out the fork the tire bulges up top and rubs the bridge.
    I'd like to eliminate the chance of this happening with the mastodon if possible, originally I was gonna get the ext but the more I see you posting that the std is good enough the more i'm starting to lean that way. If I went with the std with the 10 mm spacer trick do you think the 29+ minions would be fine?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What about if you want to run the fork at 140mm? Can The standard still can be run at 140mm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    What about if you want to run the fork at 140mm? Can The standard still can be run at 140mm?
    Yes, as long as you get the 120 STD version.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's odd, I did the same measurement with a Barbe 27.5 x 4.5, no air, fully compressed the fork, bounced hard with 200# and had 5mm clearance.

I suppose the Gnar 4.5 could be taller, though they share the same casing. Could be the studs too.

Good thing Dougal figured out the trick for adding a travel limiter.
    Maybe you didnít let all the air out; I know I had to do it twice, to fully compress the fork; the lugs are definitely taller on the Gnar compared to the Barbís, funny you mentioned studs, they left two witness marks on my crown when I fully compressed the fork.

Manitou Mastodon?-img_5966a.jpg
    Last edited by tmbrown; 03-23-2018 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Both your experience and Ben's seem to jive - Barbes and Gnars have the same casing but I think the taller lugs of the Gnarwhal + studs would eat up the 5mm clearance Ben saw.

My Gnarwhal runs ~787mm diameter with studs. I also have a 29x3.25 Crux at ~784mm diameter. For tires in this size range adding the 10mm bottom out spacer to the STD would seem prudent, though I'd run tires in the ~760mm range (Minion 26x4.8, Cake Eater 27.5x4) without worrying about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's my special skill

I'm actually quite a sweetie in person, well, maybe if you're not my wife; I drive her crazy

The sucky part is that I don't think Mastodon really thought this thing through, so instead of giving us one fork that fits most tires, they split the difference which leaves some folks straddling the fence.

It's shame crown molds are so expensive...

NB, you do have a way with words. But I am going to stick with the 120EXT - and use the "attach pump and adjust A2C method" to achieve the desired height and live with the resulting travel. Having a Tom John repaired elbow I'll take safer plushness over travel. And since this fork is going on my 4th Fatty frame I can not rule out acquiring a fifth Fatty Frame that this fork may work perfectly on at 551mm A2C.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At this point I'm pretty sure I know the Mastodon, but sure, anything is possible...

nah, I did it right.

Maybe it's due to you steerer being loose, wahahahaha

No, it's the studs and probably the tire is a tad bigger than a Barbe.

Still, I'd skip the EXT and do the Dougal fix.

Maybe you didnít let all the air out; I know I had to do it twice, to fully compress the fork; the lugs are definitely taller on the Gnar compared to the Barbís, funning you mentioned studs, they left two witness marks on my crown when I fully compressed the fork.

Name:	IMG_5966a.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1188938

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    At this point I'm pretty sure I know the Mastodon, but sure, anything is possible...

nah, I did it right.

Maybe it's due to you steerer being loose, wahahahaha

No, it's the studs and probably the tire is a tad bigger than a Barbe.

Still, I'd skip the EXT and do the Dougal fix.
    Speaking of which, that crown and steerer tube look like they have some moving to do. Keep an eye on it though you'll likely feel it clunking mid ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How many here have extended it to 140mm? I'm planning on it as mine is fitted to a duallie with 110mm rear travel and I want 't to be able to ride it more aggressively.I don't plan on doing myself as I mechanic like a baboon on crack....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Speaking of which, that crown and steerer tube look like they have some moving to do. Keep an eye on it though you'll likely feel it clunking mid ride.
    Itís fully seated now, I think that picture is after my first ride, and yes I had to stop and tighten my headset mid ride several timesÖ

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    How many here have extended it to 140mm? I'm planning on it as mine is fitted to a duallie with 110mm rear travel and I want 't to be able to ride it more aggressively.I don't plan on doing myself as I mechanic like a baboon on crack....
    The good thing about the Mas is if you have it extended and don't like it you can lower it back down with just the shock pump. They should all come set at max travel and users can adjust as needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I agree with you, that would take the hassle out of having to remove the lowers to adjust the travel. Maybe the 2019 model may do this....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nurse Ben, or anyone else in the know, is it possible to convert an EXT to STD, or do I just need to sell and buy the whole fork. I wish I'd read this thread before buying my unnecessarily long fork.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    Nurse Ben, or anyone else in the know, is it possible to convert an EXT to STD, or do I just need to sell and buy the whole fork. I wish I'd read this thread before buying my unnecessarily long fork.

It is possible to convert by ordering a kit from Manitou. I remember Nurse Ben did it for his fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I looked into the parts, they are available, price was ~ $100 , but I punted and sold the EXT to buy an STD.

Look on the Manitou website for Manitou suspension rebuilders, they can order the parts for you or do the install.

It is possible to convert by ordering a kit from Manitou. I remember Nurse Ben did it for his fork.

Your bike sucks
    [QUOTE=bikedrd;13596554I wish I'd read this thread before buying my unnecessarily long fork.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't despair - this is a not a make or break aspect. Minutia detail that you can work around if the extra 20mm bothers you. Let's say that your perfect sweet spot was the A-C of the STD @ 120mm. Same A-C of the EXT at 100mm. Split the difference and run the EXT at 110. Yeah, you'd be losing 10mm travel and gaining 10mm of height but that should be a very acceptable middle ground unless you are trying to achieve perfection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looks like you would need a new air spring assembly, and remove two bottom out spacers from the rebound damper and the air spring assembly, both should have one bottom out spacer.

I would call Manitou tech support to verify.

Manitou Mastodon?-mastodon1.jpg

Manitou Mastodon?-mastodon-spacer-guide1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good idea calling them, and thanks for the info, all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've also extended my Pro 120 to 140mm. No problems with the fork like this so far and it wasn't too hard of a job if you are decent with tools and follow directions. No reason not to do it considering you can always lower the fork without changing any parts back.

All fat, all the time.
    Weather finally got warm enough, I got around 35 miles on the fork.
    First few laps around the neighborhood to tune and adjust, I got 2 loud *pops" and had to take some slack with the preload bolt.
    Then the first ride on trails, had one last pop, and again, about a 1/2 turn on the preload.
    Last 30 miles everything is tight so the steerer must finally be settled into its resting place.

Really liking the fork, currently at 120mm, feels better than the lefty when reaching full compression.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi,
    Does 4,8x26 Jumbo Jim fit with STD Mastodon 120mm version? Or do I have to buy the EXT 120mm version to get enough tire clearance?

I'm so confused because some say that they fit and Manitous own chart says that I need the ext version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettis View Post
    Hi,
    Does 4,8x26 Jumbo Jim fit with STD Mastodon 120mm version? Or do I have to buy the EXT 120mm version to get enough tire clearance?

I'm so confused because some say that they fit and Manitous own chart says that I need the ext version.
    Yes it should clear without an issue.

mtbr member
    I have a Mastodon comp Ext 100, can I use the Milo remote lockout kit or is something else needed?
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    I have a Mastodon comp Ext 100, can I use the Milo remote lockout kit or is something else needed?
    Yes. Comp forks have ABS+ dampers which fits the MILO ABS+ lockout (picture in link): https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/milo-re...t-manitou.html

There is another MILO kit for the Kwik Toggle damper, you don't want that one as it doesn't have the cable spool and cable stop for the ABS+.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice review!
    I recently got a Kona Wozo with a Bluto that I immediately swapped for a Mastodon. While trying to compress the forks, the Bluto felt like it was not lubricated compared to the Mastodon...

Flying Sasquatch

Name:	Mastodon Spacer Guide1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	1189271
    I thought someone had posted that 140mm was max months ago on the EXT. But according to this I can run 150mm of travel on the EXT?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I thought someone had posted that 140mm was max months ago on the EXT. But according to this I can run 150mm of travel on the EXT?
    What model do you have? This chart says 140mm max Comp, 150mm max Pro.

mtbr member

Good job!

Yes. Comp forks have ABS+ dampers which fits the MILO ABS+ lockout (picture in link): https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/milo-re...t-manitou.html

There is another MILO kit for the Kwik Toggle damper, you don't want that one as it doesn't have the cable spool and cable stop for the ABS+.
    Thank you very much Dougal!
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    The 150 EXT is a special build fork. I think it has longer stanchions than the usual EXT but I haven't seen one in the flesh and possibly never will.
    SPV Devolve

Flying Sasquatch
    What model do you have? This chart says 140mm max Comp, 150mm max Pro.
    Sorry, Pro

Flying Sasquatch
    The 150 EXT is a special build fork. I think it has longer stanchions than the usual EXT but I haven't seen one in the flesh and possibly never will.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification Dougal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't know if anybody has an answer to this, but here's my question:

What effect does shortening the travel via the 'pump trick' have on the fork performance? I'm thinking in terms of the air spring curve etc. Small bump sensitivity, mid stroke support, ramp up and bottom out, etc. etc. etc. Is it a viable long term solution?

I've temporarily reduced my 120 Pro EXT to 100mm using the pump trick. Improves the geometry of my bike and seems to ride around just fine on snow covered trails (still very snowy around here) but I haven't been able to test it on rocks, roots, drops etc. So not really a fair test. However it does confirm that my bike rides much better with a 531mm fork instead of a 551mm fork.

I'm considering ordering a STD air spring and converting from EXT so as to permanently lower the overall fork length, or just continuing to ride around using the pump trick. Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a Mastodon comp with a rebound that went from quite fast to really fast when turning the knob... so I decided to check if something was wrong with the rebound assembly. I found that there was a clamp shim between the flat face of the piston and the first shim creating a gap and allowing oil to flow almost unrestricted! I would like to know how the shimstack is intended to be.

Here are the shims I had starting from the piston:
    Clamp shim
    Thin shim
    Clamp shim
    Thick shim
    Clamp shim
    (Both the thick and thin shims have the same diameter and are large enough to cover the ports)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post
    I have a Mastodon comp with a rebound that went from quite fast to really fast when turning the knob... so I decided to check if something was wrong with the rebound assembly. I found that there was a clamp shim between the flat face of the piston and the first shim creating a gap and allowing oil to flow almost unrestricted! I would like to know how the shimstack is intended to be.

Here are the shims I had starting from the piston:
    Clamp shim
    Thin shim
    Clamp shim
    Thick shim
    Clamp shim
    (Both the thick and thin shims have the same diameter and are large enough to cover the ports)
    Thinking It might be faster response to get with tech support - techsupport@hayesbicycle.com
    they are pretty fast to respond less than a business day

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Damn I had entire essay written out to ask you guys thoughts... and it was destroyed by AutoSave... GRRR will have to write down some other time..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks Maxmitry, they were indeed quick to reply!

Manitou Mastodon?-20180517_193614.jpg
    The picture above shows my shimstack and the picture below shows the stack according to the drawings.
    They are identical...!
    Manitou Mastodon?-mastodon-comp-rebound-shim-stack.jpg
    Dougal had confirmed the above stack to me too.

I still don't get why there is a clamp shim between the flat piston and the first large OD shim? It allows quite a large free bleed and felt like very little rebound damping when riding. Further the rebound knob had almost no effect...
    Anyhow, I moved all the clamp shims up and have now a usable range with the rebound knob.

mtbr member
    anyone has a spare decal kit?
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast