Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,133 of 1133
  1. #1101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29

    wobbly fork

    My headset seems to have come very loose as well after a 20 km very rocky rooty maiden voyage.It rode fine for the first half hour or so,then started feeling very "clunky" ! I had my fork installed by a bike shop as im a hack of a mechanic and didnt want any dramas.I will take it back today,hopefully they can rectify it.If it is a warranty issue,is it hard to get a replacement seeing as ive had the steerer tube cut down to suite me?Also last night i took out the IVA(thats what the manual calls it) and removed two of the black rings.Now im assuming they stay out,they dont clip back onto the unit somewhere else?Clearly from my post im as handy as a baboon on crack when it comes to bike maintanence!
    Last edited by bikemad1; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:46 PM. Reason: need more information

  2. #1102
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    78

    Advice welcome

    I'm loosing a bit of my stoke for the Mastodon as of recent. Two issues: Getting excessive sag in the fork on colder days (20 degrees and less) and developing a bit of play in the stanchions.

    Background deets: I have had this STD Comp for about 3 months. I converted it to the 120-140mm travel set-up shortly after purchase. All four spacers set on the IVA, no adjustment to the Damper side. On a Kona Wozo currently running stock 26 x 4.8 front tire on 80mm rim, currently set at 120mm travel. I weigh aprox 175lbs in winter gear and have had to run about 95psi to have it set at appropriate preload, with 3 clicks on the compression dial to not run through travel too quick.

    Questions:
    1. I notice this distinct wallowing into its travel as the temps drop and it just sits around 40mm into its travel and even lower if I am on a sustained downhill. This creates a really terrible geometry for descending with a low/steep front end.
    Should I be moving some spacers around on the damper side to help with ride height to eliminate the wallowing?

    2. Play in stanchions. I just noticed this on the last ride. There is a small degree of forward/rearward play in the stanchions that is not coming from the headset or a loose hub.
    Do I need to overhaul and replace seals already (after just 3 months)?

    I have liked the fork upto recently compared to the Bluto, but I never had these recent traits in a 1 1/2 half of the Bluto.

    Any thoughts are appreciated.

  3. #1103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29
    So took the bike back to the shop,mechanic retightened the headset,said dont worry,new bottom cup in headset and they often come abit loose if you thrash it.Rode today,a very nice and not overly rough trail for about 20kms.The fork behaved better with the extra travel,felt pretty good although i had a bit less air pressure in it than i would have liked.But,once again by the end of the ride there is play in the headset!!??Also this mastodon comes with a remote to lock out the fork,that after much adjusting the mechanic couldnt make it work,and there is no option to lock it manually which kind of sucks.Rode it wide open obviously,ok for the trail i rode but the option to lock it out on climbs would be nice,considering the fork comes equipped this way.That been said,i can lock out my other forks manually without needing a lever,would have prefered if this was like that as well.Looks like a phone call to the dealer to see what my options are.Pretty bummed though,was frothing to get this fork,now i have it and it doesnt work as it should,not very impressed

  4. #1104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    So took the bike back to the shop,mechanic retightened the headset,said dont worry,new bottom cup in headset and they often come abit loose if you thrash it.Rode today,a very nice and not overly rough trail for about 20kms.The fork behaved better with the extra travel,felt pretty good although i had a bit less air pressure in it than i would have liked.But,once again by the end of the ride there is play in the headset!!??Also this mastodon comes with a remote to lock out the fork,that after much adjusting the mechanic couldnt make it work,and there is no option to lock it manually which kind of sucks.Rode it wide open obviously,ok for the trail i rode but the option to lock it out on climbs would be nice,considering the fork comes equipped this way.That been said,i can lock out my other forks manually without needing a lever,would have prefered if this was like that as well.Looks like a phone call to the dealer to see what my options are.Pretty bummed though,was frothing to get this fork,now i have it and it doesnt work as it should,not very impressed




    Sounds like you may want to try a new mechanic. Bottom cup should not come loose just because you ride your bike, and the remote is very easy to set up...

  5. #1105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    I'm loosing a bit of my stoke for the Mastodon as of recent. Two issues: Getting excessive sag in the fork on colder days (20 degrees and less) and developing a bit of play in the stanchions.
    As temps drop so does the air pressure in the fork. Double check air pressure at riding temperature, in any case if if fork is sagging too much add air. Make sure that before you disconnect the pump you extend the fork fully so that you don't lose travel inadvertently.

    If you want to make the fork more progressive in it's spring rate - that is the sag is set correctly but you are using travel too easily - then changing the spacer config on the IVA can help there.

  6. #1106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    I took out the IVA(thats what the manual calls it) and removed two of the black rings.Now im assuming they stay out,they dont clip back onto the unit somewhere else?
    Did you actually remove spacers from the IVA? The IVA controls the spring rate and the travel adjust guide details how to rearrange them to do so (pg10) - at no point does it say to remove spacers from the IVA.

    Spacers are removed from the top of the air shaft to increase travel, but that is not the IVA.

  7. #1107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HDTVdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Did you actually remove spacers from the IVA? The IVA controls the spring rate and the travel adjust guide details how to rearrange them to do so (pg10) - at no point does it say to remove spacers from the IVA.

    Spacers are removed from the top of the air shaft to increase travel, but that is not the IVA.
    On page 10: "If the travel is adjusted, the IVA piston height should also be adjusted to maintain the air spring rate."

    Anyway, I replaced the IVA with the IRT.

  8. #1108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    It could just as easilly by the wheel moving on the axle or the brake caliper flexing. No amount of grease is going take up slack that is inherent in a suspension fork.

    If you're riding the bike vs flexing it on the floor, you are far less likely to notice flex, just saying

    Honestly, all this headset loosening BS is amazing, it's like the amateur hour on the fat bike forum. If you posted this shite to the regular mtbr forums you'd be laughed off the site.

    Seriously, if you can't set a fork up on your own, then take it to a shop. If a shop can't set up your fork, then find a shop with "competent" mechanics.

    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    That is what mine feels like, as if the headset is loose. But so did my Bluto, and we worked out it was the stanchions moving subtly in the fork legs, like just a few mom's, but enough to be very irritating.Im hoping a bit of slick honey on the stanchions and setting it up for my weight ( rode it straight out of the shop, no adjustments).I'm also keen to extend it to the 140mm travel, will see if any of these things make it preform better.at the moment it feels like one of those low end piece of shit fork you would find on a department store bike!!😠

  9. #1109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Seriously, right? Talk about a lack of mechanical understanding.

    "dude, I was roosting this berm and my lower cup got loose, like whoa!

    Apparently good bike mechanics are hard to find.

    Quote Originally Posted by ahelmus View Post



    Sounds like you may want to try a new mechanic. Bottom cup should not come loose just because you ride your bike, and the remote is very easy to set up...

  10. #1110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post
    On page 10: "If the travel is adjusted, the IVA piston height should also be adjusted to maintain the air spring rate."
    Exactly, by using the table on that page to match the IVA spacer config with the current fork length. Notice all the configurations use the same number of spacers (four) just in different positions - none are removed.

  11. #1111
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Honestly, all this headset loosening BS is amazing, it's like the amateur hour on the fat bike forum. If you posted this shite to the regular mtbr forums you'd be laughed off the site.
    By all means, that's what we should be aspiring to... if people share some experiences and seek insight they should be met with ridicule and exclusion. Great take - inspires contribution and dialog.

  12. #1112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Except, dear Carl, this topic and all the misunderstandings have been gone over, and explained, ad nauseum, by those who are willing and able to provide said experience.

    We have since jumped the shark, this discussion has spread misinformation, and now has the propensity to lead potential Mastodon seekers to look elsewhere.

    I know what youíre saying, perhaps it made more sense a couple weeks ago, now itís simply not relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    By all means, that's what we should be aspiring to... if people share some experiences and seek insight they should be met with ridicule and exclusion. Great take - inspires contribution and dialog.

  13. #1113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29
    Yes,not all of us are expert bike mechanics or able to insert a catheter.If i were to put many of you in a kitchen on a friday night with 600 covers to pump out in a few hours,most would be well and truly ****ed,though I imagine you can probably manage a bbq for a few friends.....

  14. #1114
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,405
    Once I finally get a ride on mine (rebuilding a wheel with new hub) I'll see if it loosens or not.

  15. #1115
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Except, dear Carl, this topic and all the misunderstandings have been gone over, and explained, ad nauseum, by those who are willing and able to provide said experience.

    We have since jumped the shark, this discussion has spread misinformation, and now has the propensity to lead potential Mastodon seekers to look elsewhere.

    I know what youíre saying, perhaps it made more sense a couple weeks ago, now itís simply not relevant.
    I agree w/ the Mastodon perhaps being wrongly maligned. I really read most of the thread as people broadcasting looking for a pattern/solution after they went through the standard troubleshooting (and tolerate advice that actually was relayed ad nauseum). I, personally welcome discussion and I don't think it's healthy or proper to talk down to people seeking help.

    But here's the problem... Everyone has been wrong. Not bad advice mind you but I've heard what? - 4-5 different things that have been declared as definitively the problem... 'cept none of those are the actual root cause. And consider the hubris - No one else has actually held my fork, examined my work - yet they know. In fact, some of the expert takes (which, ironically, are from actual amateurs (hour - lol) disregarding 2 shops and someone who has at least enough ability to be employed in a few different industry roles) diagnosis the top cap not seating and the crownrace not being set right - are at semi-odds; neither has been my situation btw.

    So a one-dimensional thinker sees the pulling star nut and goes - "blah, star nut has nothing to do with the HS going loose."

    A curious mind sees a pattern of people who were fine prior to this install and now have same symptom - and asks "why is that?" (notice not jumping to conclusion that there is an inherent defect)

    Coming back to the shops - a few insights: it's winter. The summer "help" has left and typically the people in the shop are the lifers and most stable help - not the ones who routinely mess up simple things. 2 - when a problem comes into a shop (like the OP) there's always a curious huddle trying to diagnose looking for the "told you so" (sort of like here) 3 - while I don't condone this, it is not hard to imagine a shop - without a clear explanation but seemingly resolved - resorting to telling a customer something that isn't exactly accurate just to give some peace of mind. Maybe they suck, who knows?, but if I was going to blindly rely on someone it'd probably be a mechanic who sees probably a dozen+ different bikes a day vs. some random ppl on the interwebz. Obviously quality of ppl varies a lot.

    Ok, if you managed through the above rant - some comments regarding the fork and troubleshooting. First, the routine advice that people gave is good. Re-check your install and assembly. The very first thing to do. Look for areas that could cause issue. If persists, give to someone else for an objective take. If persists, begin to look at compound factors and re-check some assumptions. What assumptions? Well, things that you would ordinarily take for granted. I'll break out just two: that the new equipment is in spec & this application is similar to others you know well. I personally feel that the Mastodon is in spec - the ID/OD conform to normal expectations so unless the steerers were not fully pressed - the fork mfging doesn't seem to be the cause. So - what else? Could there be a compound cause? I think perhaps:

    So, one of the things that you hear people mention is that the fork lowers feel a bit loose with one. If you bounce your fork or loft it - it will not feel like your enduro fork - more of a sensation of play/movement in the lowers. There's conservatively an extra kilo of weight in the front wheel after all and frankly the 34mm chassis isn't exactly designed with a proportional amount of extra material than said enduro fork; I can't speak to what the bushing overlap and tolerance is in this fork yet. I can say this is more pronounced than anything modern that I felt in recent time - plus a whole lot of undamped tire air adding to the rate of return on the up. Anyway - not super hard to imagine a user feeling this, then assuming HS is loose and cranking some - maybe too much. Add in a bit of a crappy spec star nut (set) or maybe some packing oil on the steerer where the HS actually does get loose too and things get murky and hard to diagnose. That's my stance at this point - subject to change w/ more info - if you feel HS loose - check assembly, clean the shit out of your steerer/stem, pay extra attention to stem clamping, resist the urge to tighten top cap bolt unless you know definitively the HS has gone loose - it may just be how all that extra weight of the tire feels vibrating around in this chassis.

    Sorry it's a long take. I like mysteries, patterns and troubleshooting; some apparently don't and I can understand the resistance to over examination and edge case stuff given today's political climate and over reliance to convenient conspiracy type theories; hope that wasn't the tone here.

  16. #1116
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    By all means, that's what we should be aspiring to... if people share some experiences and seek insight they should be met with ridicule and exclusion. Great take - inspires contribution and dialog.
    Thanks Carl Mega, It seems NB needs/gets his tone checked more and more these days. Maybe he just needs to get out and ride more instead of threadstalking, ha. I agree that it can be a bummer for others on any of the number of threads he "contributes" to.
    I often appreciate the technical and well-funded advice he offers as I can't afford as many toys and iterations of wheels, frames, forks, cranks, etc. But, sometimes it can come across more bitter than beneficial. Folks that only have a few coins and are trying to get the most out of their equipment without moving on to the next greatest thing get a lot of service out of these threads for learning, sharing, and tinkering. A reminder to all us for sure to consider how helpful or not we are willing to be with our free advice and observations. Roll on!
    Last edited by rvercoe; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:48 PM.

  17. #1117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Not so much bitter as feeling the pain of those who are confused by misinformation.

    It seems like people jump the gun more and more these days, quickly blaming the product without thinking things through, then they quickly post their thoughts and that post lives on the internet forever.

    If our livlihood depended on what we post, would we be be so flippant with our posts?

    I actually considered contacting the moderator and asking them to close this thread because it has become a river of misinformation. If you'll notice the abscence of pros on this thread, that should tip you off as to what they think.

    Personally, I waited with bated breath for the Mastodon, and now that it's here I want the world to know what a great fork Manitou made for us.

    Please, if anyone has any concerns about the Mastodon, are struggling with set up, please go through a reliable LBS and have them help you.

    There is nothing wrong with the Mastodon fork, it is a well designed and reliable product. I have flogged three pair, my son flogs his Mastodon, and all I have is praise for the fork.

    I am happy to answer questions via PM.

    Troll out!

    PS: I'm not a nurse per se, I am a psychiatric provider, so I don't know a whole lot about catheters ... and I plan to keep it that way

    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Thanks Carl Mega, It seems NB gets his tone checked more and more these days. I agree that it can be a bummer for others on any of the number of threads he trolls. I often appreciate the technical and well-funded advice he offers as I can't afford as many toys and iterations of wheels, frames, forks, cranks, etc. But, sometimes it can come across more bitter than beneficial. Folks that only have a few coins and are trying to get the most out of their equipment without moving on to the next greatest thing get a lot of service out of these threads. A reminder to all us for sure to consider how helpful or not we are willing to be with our free advice and observations. Roll on!

  18. #1118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    717
    I cant believe from this HS coming loose BS, it became personal towards to one member to another. perhaps to post noob questions/concerns in the beginer lounge instead of a fork specific discussion. the information posted last couple of pages is misleading to people who wants to buy a mastodon
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

    My Parts for sale link

  19. #1119
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,171
    I've has my Mas on all winter and ridden down to about -5f and to be honest I don't even know it's there, pretty much the biggest compliment I can award a fork. Thing just works!!

  20. #1120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    I cant believe from this HS coming loose BS, it became personal towards to one member to another. perhaps to post noob questions/concerns in the beginer lounge instead of a fork specific discussion. the information posted last couple of pages is misleading to people who wants to buy a mastodon
    I'm no Pro, but I sure hope I can cut and install my new 120 Pro Std when I get back from vacation. New crown race will be in by time I return.

    These latest posts have bummed me out and made me second guess and debate return. My Canyon has been a blast rigid but I'm sure better with the fork. Onward and upward!
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude CF8 fattie

  21. #1121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    717
    Exactly this is what me and people like nurse Ben wanna prevent. Mastodon is a great fork not only for fat by normal fork standard. Many people can vouche.

  22. #1122
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,373
    I will add this as well. Like bdundee said about his Mastodon above, I barely even notice my Magnum + which is an awesome thing to be able to say. I'm sure with the same damper setup the Magnum + and Mastodon Pro feel very similar. You can easily tweak it to your exact personal feel preference. Best fork I've been in on years. My only complaint, One UP EDC cap setup is no dice.........which really isn't that much of an issue.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  23. #1123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    559
    Anyone notice the weight difference when stepping up from bluto to the Mastodon? I have a fairly light Trek Farley carbon with 27.5+ carbon wheels and am a little concerned about the weight penalty of this fork.

  24. #1124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    72
    It's a great fork. I expected as much having ridden their other top forks. No primitive dampers on this fork; an actual tuneable damper that makes the front of my Bucksaw as good as the back.

  25. #1125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    First ride is in the books and a success. Self installed this morning which was a first for me but uneventful.

    The fork itself is beefy as can be with no flex. Totally transformed my Canyon Dude CF from lightweight nimble machine to monster truck. Running 4" JJs at 9 psi I cruised over everything with ease. Bike probably gained 4.5 lbs over CF fork but I think it was worth it for fun factor.

    Oh, headset/starnut/stem not loose yet.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude CF8 fattie

  26. #1126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    Totally transformed my Canyon Dude CF from lightweight nimble machine to monster truck. Running 4" JJs at 9 psi I cruised over everything with ease. Bike probably gained 4.5 lbs over CF fork..
    JeepRage - I've also (just, weeks old) got a Canyon Dude CF and am just about to pull the trigger on a Mastodon 120mm Pro Std, so was feeling quite stoked to see the exact same setup. Thanks for posting

    I noted in a post above you'd said something about a new crown race. Can I ask if you used the stock crown race or needed something different to fit the Mastodon? I assume clearance on the downtube was just fine and you haven't needed to do anything funky.

    Thanks in advance.

  27. #1127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    I bought a new Cane Creek 40 race off Amazon for $10 shipped so that I can swap the stock fork on quickly in the future. Plenty of clearance on the downturn. My bike doesn't feel like the featherweight it first did after tubeless with fork, bottle, and bag, but I love it. Only ridden my Santa Cruz once since getting the Dude.

    These are great bikes. Haven't found a need for 4.8s yet but want them. Where are you located?

    Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude CF8 fattie

  28. #1128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    I bought a new Cane Creek 40 race off Amazon for $10 shipped so that I can swap the stock fork on quickly in the future. Plenty of clearance on the downturn. My bike doesn't feel like the featherweight it first did after tubeless with fork, bottle, and bag, but I love it. Only ridden my Santa Cruz once since getting the Dude.

    These are great bikes. Haven't found a need for 4.8s yet but want them. Where are you located?

    Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
    Awesome thanks! Yeah I have a feeling my Enduro rig will get less love now with the Dude (with forks). I ended up getting the model with 4.8 JJs so she's going to be interesting with a proper fork, clocked in at 12.4kg after going tubeless. Located in New Zealand.

    Manitou Mastodon?-fatbikeandcows.jpg
    2016 Giant Reign Advanced 1
    2018 Canyon Dude CF9 Unlimited

  29. #1129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by RowanTheKiwi View Post
    Awesome thanks! Yeah I have a feeling my Enduro rig will get less love now with the Dude (with forks). I ended up getting the model with 4.8 JJs so she's going to be interesting with a proper fork, clocked in at 12.4kg after going tubeless. Located in New Zealand.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FatbikeAndCows.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	1182350
    Looks great. I wish we could get colors here in the US, but I won't complain. 4.8s not an option here.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude CF8 fattie

  30. #1130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    45
    Woah, gotta say some of the stuff on this thread is a little concerning. One of the major benefits of forums like is that I get to see people having real discussions about the pros and cons of pieces of equipment, and I can weigh up that info when deciding to buy something.

    Now people are being scolded for talking about the issues they have, and told praise is fine but problems need to be kept to PM? Sounds a lot like censorship to me. Everyone has their different skill and experience levels, and discussions about relative beginners dealing with equipment problems that may or may not be down to that experience level can be very helpful to those in the same boat.

    I find a lot of posts by the "super-regulars" on this forum very informative, but some clash markedly with my own experience and rider-requirements: My Bluto does everything I need from a fork on my fatbike (stops my hands going numb and wrists aching), and I find my 27.5 fattie wheels and tires slow and cumbersome - yet you'd think from the countless numbers of posts saying Blutos and 26" wheels should go the way of the dodo that there is no other point of view.

    Lets keep free and open discussion on the forum, and a bit less of people telling others what to talk about - save that kind of thing for manufacturer's facebook pages. Keep an eye on the bigger picture rather than panicking that your pet bit of kit of the moment is getting some criticism.

  31. #1131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    158
    I'll be selling my take off mastodon off my trek farley, lemme know if you want a new never used one.

  32. #1132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    717
    i had my fun with mastodon. and i went lefty
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

    My Parts for sale link

  33. #1133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy99 View Post
    Woah, gotta say some of the stuff on this thread is a little concerning. One of the major benefits of forums like is that I get to see people having real discussions about the pros and cons of pieces of equipment, and I can weigh up that info when deciding to buy something.

    Now people are being scolded for talking about the issues they have, and told praise is fine but problems need to be kept to PM? Sounds a lot like censorship to me. Everyone has their different skill and experience levels, and discussions about relative beginners dealing with equipment problems that may or may not be down to that experience level can be very helpful to those in the same boat.

    I find a lot of posts by the "super-regulars" on this forum very informative, but some clash markedly with my own experience and rider-requirements: My Bluto does everything I need from a fork on my fatbike (stops my hands going numb and wrists aching), and I find my 27.5 fattie wheels and tires slow and cumbersome - yet you'd think from the countless numbers of posts saying Blutos and 26" wheels should go the way of the dodo that there is no other point of view.

    Lets keep free and open discussion on the forum, and a bit less of people telling others what to talk about - save that kind of thing for manufacturer's facebook pages. Keep an eye on the bigger picture rather than panicking that your pet bit of kit of the moment is getting some criticism.
    I agree, if a guy has a question or concern they should feel free to ask. Getting a snarky response helps no one.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Similar Threads

  1. Manitou Minute vs Manitou R7?
    By Numbtoyou in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 04-19-2015, 04:25 PM
  2. Manitou R7 PRO vs MRD
    By coldrain in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 07:32 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2013, 09:02 PM
  4. Manitou - I have to ask...
    By Aresab in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM
  5. Manitou SX-r
    By TraumaARNP in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 661

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •