Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,012 of 1012
    All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Positive we are not talking about limiting but extending. Now if someone has 20mm of spacers limiting the travel by the bottom out bumpers on a 140 fork giving you only 120mm of travel but the same a2c of of 140 than yes removing said spacers would give you back all 140 and keeping the A2C the same. That being said they are not configured that way (as stated above) and have absolutely no idea why one would set up a fork like this that way. Now a lefty that's another story.
    Gotcha thanks, I just saw the a2c table above.

All fat, all the time.
    My wife keeps bugging me that I swap parts between bike to make a rideable one lol....(only have 1 lefty)....

Problem solved.
    Worldwide cyclery with 20% of coupon, along with 6% back from gear obsession. Couldn't pass it up.

Now I need a new front wheel lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just experienced the second Mastodon. Sold the previous with my Mutz. The new mastodon is a STD set at 150. Want to say it that it is just up there with the best forks. So smooth so plush. I use it with the IRT kit set at 120-140psi and the shock at 72psi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Add my name to the long list of people praising the Mastodon!

I have a 120mm EXT Pro. Mounted up on my medium BlackBorrow with no clearance issues. It did raise the front quite a bit, but I expected that. I also had to buy yet another Hope brake mount adapter, as this is the first fork I have had with a 180mm post mount.

I never really had any beef with my Bluto, but it was getting tired,and I wanted a bit more travel. The Mastodon is much smoother than the Bluto, and so much beefier. Its exactly 1lb heavier than the Bluto, at 4.98 lbs.

I'm a 250lb rider, and am still playing with the suspension settings. I have run just over 100 pounds of pressure and use all the travel on jumps and small drops to flat (2' or so). I am going to play around with the volume spaces to see if I can make it a bit more progressive.

Manitou Mastodon?-20180116_170333.jpgManitou Mastodon?-20180110_222857.jpg

Flying Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9 View Post
    I'm a 250lb rider, and am still playing with the suspension settings. I have run just over 100 pounds of pressure and use all the travel on jumps and small drops to flat (2' or so). I am going to play around with the volume spaces to see if I can make it a bit more progressive.
    I'm 255 and I run all 4 IVA tokens above the piston/seal. I then run 95 psi (on my Fox pump) and that seems to be a really good balance between bottoming resistance on jumps and plushness in the chatter. I run high speed all the way out and compression 2 clicks in. You might start around there..
    With the way the fork was stock (1 token above) it would blow through the whole stroke and I could feel it bottom out. With the 4 tokens above I never "feel" it bottom out but the o-ring says I'm using everything...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just a thought about the STD vs EXT fork option:

It’s not generally necessary to buy the EXT version of the Mastodon because nearly all the existing fat and tall tires clear the STD crown and bridge.

Even in those cases where the clearance is “close”, the addition of a single 10mm spacer will provide a margin of safety without having an increase of 20mm in A to C.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ive seen the "extended "version also advertised as 27.5,as opposed to 26-is this the case or have I misinterpreted it?Also anyone think the silver stanchioned versions of the mastodon would be a lesser preformer than the black stanchions? My bluto is black stanchioned and has stiction like a fat kid on a slippery dip.They are on sale here in Australia for 650 ($520) US free postage and are advertised as 27.5 or 26,hence my previous question.Thoughts please folks,cheers

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    ive seen the "extended "version also advertised as 27.5,as opposed to 26-is this the case or have I misinterpreted it?Also anyone think the silver stanchioned versions of the mastodon would be a lesser preformer than the black stanchions? My bluto is black stanchioned and has stiction like a fat kid on a slippery dip.They are on sale here in Australia for 650 ($520) US free postage and are advertised as 27.5 or 26,hence my previous question.Thoughts please folks,cheers
    The silver versions were OEM I believe....

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Not sure if this was asked before, is Mattoc IRT upgrade compatible with Mastodon pro forks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, I think that's how they are listed in some places.

I have no idea about those silver stanchion'd Mastodon's, but in my experience there's a reason they are a different color and it probably ain't for looks; think price break.

Nothing wrong with the Comp, I put one on my son's bike, but it is heavier and it is not going to be as well dampened as the Pro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So do you think the silver stanchions would be worse from a preformace point of view?My X-fusion sweep on the front of my Trek Slash was super smooth with silver stanchions,better than a Yari I rode with the black anodised ones

All fat, all the time.
    So do you think the silver stanchions would be worse from a preformace point of view?My X-fusion sweep on the front of my Trek Slash was super smooth with silver stanchions,better than a Yari I rode with the black anodised ones
    The smoothness or lack of stiction has more to do with seals and internal design than the color of the stanchions.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011