mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Mag-One grease. Anyone use it??

I will soon be overhauling all bearings on my bike for cold weather trip. I have in the past used MorningStar grease in my free hub and all bearings and it worked great as long as it was cold. Once it warmed, a lot of the grease escaped the seals.

I have both MorningStar and Mag-One, just curious if others have used the Mag-One in really cold temps.

Thanks in advance.

-Bj°rn
    Mj÷lnir of Bj°rn dot com is my active website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been using it for a few years in Minneapolis, no problems here. Seems to work well in summer and cold, much better than original lube in my mukluk hubs. Ive actually been using it in other (summer) bikes with no ill effects...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    lambeinator - thank you. Glad to read someone who has used it for multiple years. In it goes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've used mag one, year-round, in Fairbanks for about the last 14 years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Jeff, but have you ridden your bike in the cold?? just kidding. Thanks man. Hearing from you really seals the deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use it year round in every bike.. I would stand behind its -60 temp rating any day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mag-1 seems to be recommended for the bearings, but here is a page specifically for freehubs at low temps, using Mag-1.

Winterizing Your Freehub

Are you using a Morningstar freehub buddy on a Shimano freehub? If so, that is a separate case to discuss. Due to weaker pawl springs, Shimano freehub bearings should get Mag-1 but not the pawls. Pushing in Mag-1 may not work well. According to the page, other mfg freehubs pawls can get a very small amount of Mag-1.

In Zinn's book, Paul Morningstar says that you can double-up your pawl springs in order to run thicker greases. Some models of the Shimano freehubs may be have thicker springs than before.
    2012 Moonlander, Bud&Lou, 780 mm bars

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    streetNslime- I have used Morningstar freehub buddy in the past and used Morningstar grease in all bearings. I currently have Mukluk hubs, so access to the freehub pawls is easier than Shimano. I think what I am planning to do is use the Morningstar grease in the freehub and then use Mag-One everywhere else, including pedal bearings. I really like Morningstar and have had a couple great conversations with Paul on the phone but I did destroy bb bearings after returning from a winter trip, not changing grease and going on a multi-day beach ride. All the grease was gone, as well as my bearings by the end of the ride. I still think the Morningstar is awesome, as I did a test in -20║ with two wheels. One had Morningstar the other had Phil Wood. The hubs with the Morningstar spun as though it was a 70║ day, where as the hub with the Phil Wood spun one rotation and stopped. It would be nice to not have to worry about overhauling the bearings every few months and from what I've read here and elsewhere the Mag-One sounds like the ticket. Thank you all for chiming in and helping boost my decision.

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    Have used Mag-1 for every bearing on my 2012 Mukluk II, as well as generously in the free hub pawls. Have put 2000+ mi on it with Mg-1, summer and winterů90+F to less than-20F.
    I'm sold.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -