Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lynskey Stratus

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Lynskey Stratus

Start to build a sub 25lbs stratus. Most of the parts are from my Pugsley except headset, fork, seat post & wheels.

Expected build list.

Lynskey Stratus Medium Frame (2090g)
    LaMere Cycles QR Fat Carbon Fork (503g)
    Chris King Inset 7 Headset (158g)
    Chris King Ceramic BB (104g)

Surly OD Crank 36/22 + XTR

Sarma Naran 80 Rim w/ Tune FAT King & Kong Hub (930g + 1037g)
    DT Revolution Spokes & DT Alu Pro Lock Nipples
    Tune AC20+21 Fat QR (58g)
    Silicon Tidds (16g)

Tune & Schmolke Carbon cockpit

Tune Geiles Teil 4.0 Oversize Stem 60mm (99g)
    Schmolke Carbon MTB Lowriser Downhill 650mm w/Bar Plugs (126g)
    Ritchey True Grip WCS Ergo (32g)

Schmolke Carbon TLO Seatpost 27.2 x 375mm (102g)
    Tune Speedneedle Marathon Saddle (100g)
    Last edited by cwcheung; 9 Hours Ago at 02:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lynskey Stratus Frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    White Brothers Snowpack 450 Fork as a temporary solution, will search for a good looking full carbon fork.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwcheung View Post
    Will start to build the stratus soon. Most of the parts are from my Pugsley except headset, fork, seat post & wheels.

Expected full build list.

Lynskey Stratus Medium Frame (2090g)
    White Brothers Snowpack 450 Fork (Uncut 923g)
    Chris King Inset 7 Headset & Chris King Ceramic BB
    Surly OD Crank 36/22 + XTR
    Sarma Naran 80 Carbon Rim w/ Tune FAT King & Kong Wheelset
    Tune & Schmolke Carbon cockpit
    Fancy parts. How light do you expect/hope it to be?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice looking build spec. Excited to see it built up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Fancy parts. How light do you expect/hope it to be?
    under 25lbs

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Nice looking build spec. Excited to see it built up.
    Thank you.

Nuts
    Following fur sure!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Chris King Inset 7 Headset & Chris King Ceramic BB
    Make sure you get the Chris King Headset with the external lower race, like this:

Lynskey Stratus-img_9618.jpg

That frame was designed around a fork with a 475mm a-c height, and the White Brothers (awesome choice, by the way - love the made-in-usa-by-companies-that-still-provide-personalized-customer-service theme) is only 468mm. The external cup gains you 5mm of stack height over the inset bottom race, so it will be just about right.

A shorter fork wouldn't be the end of the world, but remember that you'll end up with a slightly steeper headtube angle and reduced trail (could actually be good, depending on how and where you ride), a slightly steeper seattube but longer effective reach (assuming you slide the seat back further so that it's in the same position relative to the bottom bracket - again, could be good), and a lower bottom bracket (less good, because it's already quite low to begin with).

Or, you could plan to run a larger-diameter tire in front than in back, as Lynskey did in their full builds. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine though. I don't get the logic.

Good luck with the project. Can't wait to see the final results!
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    under 25lbs.
    That will be an awsome build but I think "under 25" will be tough. I have an older ti Fatback, with a lighter frame, a lighter fork, a way lighter crank, and wheels that are basically a wash and my bike is just over 25. You will get some, maybe a lot, back with the cockpit bits and you could be a bit lighter on the rest of the parts so maybe it could be done. Lots of room to go lighter in the fork and crank in the future though. In any case anything approaching 25 pounds feels very light on a fatbike because they look like they should weigh more.
    Latitude 61

Nuts
    Agree with S your crank and fork are very heavy if you are looking to save weight.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hiya, Curious what is your bottom bracket housing width on your frame? Iam looking for an 82mm BB Ti fat frame to build up a 4" off-road adventure bike - that doesn't cost more than my pickup...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    FYI a little info on fork's from the Lynskey website.
    "* Geometry designed around a rigid fork measuring 474.5mm axle to crown length, but with the variety of Fatbike forks currently available, we are finding acceptable A to C lengths being from 445mm to 483mm. Consider that something as simple as modifying the air pressure in a 4.5" or 4.7" tire can alter your frame height moreso than the variances in currently available axle to crown length forks."

Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Make sure you get the Chris King Headset with the external lower race, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9618.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	902419

That frame was designed around a fork with a 475mm a-c height, and the White Brothers (awesome choice, by the way - love the made-in-usa-by-companies-that-still-provide-personalized-customer-service theme) is only 468mm. The external cup gains you 5mm of stack height over the inset bottom race, so it will be just about right.

A shorter fork wouldn't be the end of the world, but remember that you'll end up with a slightly steeper headtube angle and reduced trail (could actually be good, depending on how and where you ride), a slightly steeper seattube but longer effective reach (assuming you slide the seat back further so that it's in the same position relative to the bottom bracket - again, could be good), and a lower bottom bracket (less good, because it's already quite low to begin with).

Or, you could plan to run a larger-diameter tire in front than in back, as Lynskey did in their full builds. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine though. I don't get the logic.

The Lynskey Stratus has a 100mm bb shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post
    Hiya, Curious what is your bottom bracket housing width on your frame? Iam looking for an 82mm BB Ti fat frame to build up a 4" off-road adventure bike - that doesn't cost more than my pickup...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9618.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	902419

Hi, iamkeith

Thank you for your advice.

Here is my fork setup.

White Brothers snowpack 450 (450mm axle-to-crown) + Chris King Inset 7 lower stack height (14mm) = 464mm
    Last edited by cwcheung; 06-20-2014 at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    That will be an awsome build but I think "under 25" will be tough. I have an older ti Fatback, with a lighter frame, a lighter fork, a way lighter crank, and wheels that are basically a wash and my bike is just over 25. You will get some, maybe a lot, back with the cockpit bits and you could be a bit lighter on the rest of the parts so maybe it could be done. Lots of room to go lighter in the fork and crank in the future though. In any case anything approaching 25 pounds feels very light on a fatbike because they look like they should weigh more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Agree with S your crank and fork are very heavy if you are looking to save weight.
    Thanks sryanak & bdundee

I know it will be tough. Base on my rough calculation, i need to save at least 1000g (my Pug is 12.5kg) to reach 25lbs.

stratus frame -448g
    snowpack -165g (will change to a full carbon good looking fork and hope to save 400g)

maybe the key point is the crank but I really hate the big logo of the Next SL
    Last edited by cwcheung; 06-21-2014 at 11:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post
    It's 100mm on this bike.

Durango bikes makes the Hooey. It's the only fat bike I know of that has an 83mm BB without going custom. It's aluminum, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    FYI a little info on fork's from the Lynskey website.
    "* Geometry designed around a rigid fork measuring 474.5mm axle to crown length, but with the variety of Fatbike forks currently available, we are finding acceptable A to C lengths being from 445mm to 483mm. Consider that something as simple as modifying the air pressure in a 4.5" or 4.7" tire can alter your frame height moreso than the variances in currently available axle to crown length forks."
    Ironically, I think that this is on their website because of me. I was pretty excited about buying one when they first came out, but I couldn't identify any off-the-shelf forks that matched the geometry specs (other than the Salsa Enabler, which uses a rear hub and which was one of the things that I wanted to get away from). I peppered them with questions, and the next day that little blurb showed up on the webpage.

So the thing about the Stratus - and the reason I actually wanted it so badly - is that, other than the adjustable chainstay dimension, it is exactly, to a "T," the same geometry as my 2010 Mukluk that I am so enamored with. You probably recall that, along with the Fatback Ti bikes, Lynskey had built the second-year Ti Mukluks. I tried to get one of those, but Salsa had recalled them all and re-issued them as complete packages only (nothing wrong with the bike - just a marketing decision.)

I'm sure Lynskey is right - that different a-c lengths will still work, but I'd sure want to test it out before being the guinea pig, throwing down the cash, and building up the frame.

Here is my fork setup: White Brothers snowpack 450 (450mm axle-to-crown) + Chris King Inset 7 lower stack height (14mm) = 464mm
    You should try to get ahold of a first-gen Mukluk to test ride, and see what you think. I could be wrong, but I really think you'll want the longer version of the WB fork.

Another interesting thing to me is that, as fatbikes become more mainstream and all-purpose trail oriented, they are getting slacker head angles, longer forks, and higher bottom brackets - exactly the opposite of what a shorter fork will do for that frame. (But, again, this is not a criticism of the Stratus - quite the opposite)

(will change to a full carbon good looking fork and hope to save 400g)
    God, don't do that. Stay with the WB, if you can afford it. Who cares if your fork is a tiny bit heavier?! There's huge peace of mind in knowing that it's not a disposable carbon time bomb, will keep it's value, is American-made and, in the unlikely event that you do have an issue, that you can talk to a real person at the factory who will fix it for you.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Nuts

God, don't do that. Stay with the WB, if you can afford it. Who cares if your fork is a tiny bit heavier?! There's huge peace of mind in knowing that it's not a disposable carbon time bomb, will keep it's value, is American-made and, in the unlikely event that you do have an issue, that you can talk to a real person at the factory who will fix it for you.
    I have become not a carbon fan for frames but there have been a ton of people riding carbon forks on their fat bikes for a very long time with very very few problems. Heck I've had various models going on 3 years now pounded hard without fail. Does the WB even qualify as a carbon fork or a carbon wrapped aluminum fork and that is no a little bit of weight that is about a pound of weight difference.

Op you have a 27.5 pound pugs? That is crazy light!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    930g front wheel. Sarma Naran 80 Carbon Rim, Tune QR Fat King Hub, DT Revolution spokes & DT Alu Pro Lock nipples.

Last edited by cwcheung; 07-12-2014 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1037g rear wheel. Sarma Naran 80 Carbon Rim, Tune QR Fat Kong Hub, DT Revolution spokes & DT Alu Pro Lock nipples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hope you don't crack your lynskey. i know 3 folks that are 160+- lbs that have broken multiple lynskeys. xc types, not huckers. they keep riding them cuz lynskey keeps replacing them. they own other bikes to hold them over till the next frame arrives.

i've only cracked ti frames. never alu or steel. i've cracked carbon on rock.

good luck!

rog

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    hope....
    Don't mind him. Sweet wheel build and ride op, can't wait to see the final build.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^a friendly warning. cracking frames sucks. and can cause injury

rog

mtbr member
    I've owned 6 different Ti frames and have only cracked one on the seat tube. It was an early Fuji Ti. I currently have 3 in the quiver. Titus Ti Motolite, Cove Hummer (built by Lynskey) and a 2014 Salsa Ti Mukluk. Anything can break, hell this is planet Earth, no one gets out alive. Enjoy your Lynskey and keep us posted on the build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you everyone. Some parts, Tune Vorbau Geiles Teil 4.0 60mm & Chris King Inset7.

Last edited by cwcheung; 9 Hours Ago at 02:16 AM.

Anchorage, AK
    Nice project!!!
    --Peace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast