mtbr member

The Lynskey Fatskey thread

Post your Lynskey Fatskey builds, tips and pictures here. also questions are welcome.
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    my final goal with this bike is to do an allout build with a lefty fork with gx eagle drivertrain. and DT 710 wheels. all parts are currently being sourced

here is couple picture of mine as a roller now. so far here are some of the issues ive run into.

1. very tight BB threads, some of the other members had experienced same condition with theirs
    2. axle fitment issue. the 2 197mm axle i have on hand did not work. one generic one is a DT ratchet axle , i ended up with one directly from lynskey
    3. 170mm raceface aeffect cranks do not clear chain stays by about 4mm, i cant imagine any 170mm reared crankset would clear. so i ended up with 190mm got correct chain line as well
    4. Manitou mastodon comp compression know does not clear the down tube on my size small frame even with my CC +3mm crown race, most likely the pro wont clear either. So a frame bumper like on the new 2018 trek farley is highly recommended to qvoid crash contact of fork and frame.
    5. would not clear Vee snowshoe XXL tires. will try surly bud and lou when new wheels come

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20171222_204503.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-cf8fb4aedc91b2b1b5188bc5962132d7.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-8b5958b4e75ac6b2c17b182ddff3a4db.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-2e5026e78dfe7068c050ab418fed7e0c.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-4e7c1c8dc602d15604ae71b02a671f4f.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-de0bdd8627d9ca035188d8f0ae7448fd.jpg
    Last edited by akacoke; 01-29-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    my final goal with this bike is to do an allout build install a lefty olaf fork with eagle drivertrain. and DT wheels. all parts are currently being sourced
    Where'd you sourced your frame from?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danthemanohhyea View Post
    Where'd you sourced your frame from?

i "won" mine on ebay from lynskey directly
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Akacoke,
    My fork cleared my frame is a small I went with the Rock Shox Bluto, I also won mine in an Ebay auction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelnelson View Post
    Akacoke,
    My fork cleared my frame is a small I went with the Rock Shox Bluto, I also won mine in an Ebay auction

yeah, i knew the mastodon wouldnt clear it. its a temp set up for mock up untill i get what i want. for the price of the ebay auction this is a nice frame with good warranty.
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    my final goal with this bike is to do an allout build install a lefty olaf fork....
    Besides Project321, thereís also this adapter:

Lefty 2.0 Supermax adaper 1 1 /8" and tapered

The link also links you to the installation handbook.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What made you go Ti? Was it the "win" of the frame or had you decided ona Ti over carbon or Al? I'm asking because I'm wondering what material is better, if at all, of the the 3.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Duplicate
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    What made you go Ti? Was it the "win" of the frame or had you decided ona Ti over carbon or Al? I'm asking because I'm wondering what material is better, if at all, of the the 3.
    Ti is lighter than AL, i dont wanna get carbon is because if i crash most likely carbon would fail entirely . thats why i picked Ti. not because i win this one. i was hunting for one for awhile. i was set on fatskey because of the design
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Besides Project321, thereís also this adapter:

Lefty 2.0 Supermax adaper 1 1 /8" and tapered

The link also links you to the installation handbook.
    thanks a lot. im crossing posting on a cannondal thread to find out about the headtube length clearance. than im off to hunt a fork/bike
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ti is lighter than AL, i dont wanna get carbon is because if i crash most likely carbon would fail entirely . thats why i picked Ti. not because i win this one. i was hunting for one for awhile. i was set on fatskey because of the design
    While Ti frames can be light, titanium is definately not lighter than aluminum. I suspect in many cases Al frames are overbult compared to Ti because they are being made quickly and cheaply for the mass market and the manufacturers do not want returns.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I bought TI because of the durability of it over steel and aluminum. Fat bikes are out in the winter with salt and crap everywhere, nice to not have to worry about the frame corroding.

I also like that it can be naked, so no paint to scratch and scuff.

I'm not sure the ride compliance properties of TI can be felt on a fat bike, but I guess that factored in here too.

As for lighter than AL, while this frame is very very light, I'd suspect a comparable quality AL frame would be lighter.

These aren't cheap/crap frames. Lynskey themselves attribute the competitive pricing to the low cost of living in TN and the availability of labor and supplies in the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE0BDD8627D9CA035188D8F0AE7448FD.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	1174052
    thanks a lot. im crossing posting on a cannondal thread to find out about the headtube length clearance. than im off to hunt a fork/bike
    It would be limiting looking for an XL Fat Caad...

Is the silver aluminum piece under the upper bearing needed?

Otherwise, maybe look into a lower profile headset?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    that silver piece is part and the frame. both top and bottom. they are the incerts for the heatset. i dont why they put those there. definitely not replaceable by end users
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Will 27.5x4.5 on 80mm rims fit on this bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    Will 27.5x4.5 on 80mm rims fit on this bike?
    Send me a set and I'll find out.
    4.8 jumbo Jim's on 80mm rims are a close fit, so it may be close..

mtbr member
    Got my 190 RF Aeffect cranks installed. it was a breeze , direct bolt on didnt have to do or use anything extra. 2 spindle spacers came with 190 RF cranks and the metal spacer with the red . so total 3 spacers that all came with the crank set. 3 spacers for BB.

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20171228_231734.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20171228_231652.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20171228_231719.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20171228_231704.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20171228_231700.jpg
    Last edited by akacoke; 12-29-2017 at 02:16 AM.
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nice! Waiting on my cranks to get here. Also had to order the rear axle from Lynskey so that delays the build. Will post when I get everything here and built. Thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got my 190 RF Aeffect cranks installed. it was a breeze , direct bolt on didnt have to do or use anything extra. 2 spindle spacers came with 190 RF cranks and the metal spacer with the red . so total 3 spacers that all came with the crank set. 3 spacers for BB.
    So you obviously used the two ~10mm spindle spacers, but did you also use the ~1mm spindle spacer that was included?
    If so, where did you use it?

I took it off as it did not seem to "fit" with the use of the ~10mm spacers.
    I am wondering if I can swap out one of my 2.5mm bottom bracket spacers for this ~1mm spindle spacer and be good to go, which would mean that 1.5mm of spindle is not engaged currently.

EDIT:
    So I took everything apart and changed up some things and here is my final result:
    Drive side: 2 bottom bracket spacers + one 10mm spindle spacer (provided with crankset)
    Non-Drive side: 1 bottom bracket spacer + one 10mm spindle spacer + one ~1mm spindle spacer (both provided with crankset)

When I assembled it without the ~1mm spacer I had a very small amount of play, but with that spacer everything is tight.

mtbr member
    here is all the spacers i used , exactly what came with the crank.

the 2 black "spacers" on the sides in this pic are not really spacers as they dont take up any spacer, they are seals that sit inside the groove of those black metal thick spacers. and 1 more on the right side the one with red color seal. that one seals and fills up the space on the drive side between the 10mm black metal spacer and the actual crank where the chainring recess

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-1114187d1483742252-using-rf-aeffect-blackborow-20170106_152241.jpg
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member

2018 Fatskey Small frame build for E-bike

Got the same size frame from ebay last week, but it had to ship to Trinidad in Caribbean and only got it today. Ordered the headset and thruaxle from Lynesky. I was going to get the Manitou Mastodon, but after reading your post, the Bluto would be better. I intend to add a Mid-Drive motor since I intend to use bike for cross country and we have a lot of hills and small mountain ranges. Thinking about getting a Framed Wheelset 29+ 3.0" and Alex Blizzerk wheelset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Bike_TT View Post
    Got the same size frame from ebay last week, but it had to ship to Trinidad in Caribbean and only got it today. Ordered the headset and thruaxle from Lynesky. I was going to get the Manitou Mastodon, but after reading your post, the Bluto would be better. I intend to add a Mid-Drive motor since I intend to use bike for cross country and we have a lot of hills and small mountain ranges. Thinking about getting a Framed Wheelset 29+ 3.0" and Alex Blizzerk wheelset.
    The Bikesmiths are great guys. I worked there for a bit while in college. They take their wheel shipping very seriously, I'd have no hesitations buying from them considering you're outside the states.
    They actually sourced all the parts for me on my Fatskey build.

They got those wheels in the night I was there figuring out my crankset. Had they not given me a great deal on scratch and dent mulefuts I would have taken the blizzerks.

Don't hesitate to contact them directly via email if you are looking for other parts. I'm sure they'd throw a package together for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey akacoke or damtheman, I just got my bbracket and it came with only one spacer a 2.5mm spacer. I should order two more correct? The raceface bottom bracket I got was the raceface team DH xtype 100mm one. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, you'll need 2 more.
    That is the same BB I have on mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What forks are you guys running? Can someone wit a 100mm bluto running 4.8 tires give me a BB height measurement?

Iím torn between a 100mm bluto and a carbon fork 485ish axle to steerer. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've got a 100mm Bluto RL. Bottom bracket height with Jumbo Jim 4.8s is approximately 13" / 33cm

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by danthemanohhyea View Post
    I've got a 100mm Bluto RL. Bottom bracket height with Jumbo Jim 4.8s is approximately 13" / 33cm

Good to hear. My bike came with JJ 4.0 and an origin 8 carbon fork. BB was so low, under 12 inches. I ordered some JJ 4.8s and Iím going to swap out the fork. Probably go carbon since this is just a winter bike. But that might change since it is a good 5lbs lighter than my plus bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Anyone have weights on their completed bikes? Im trying to build a small fatskey and am trying to source components. This is my first fat bike build. I didnt realize that there was so many options now compared to the last time I bought a MTB. Anyone know of a good carbon fork and suspension fork for the Fatskey? I was thinking of either a Whiskey 9, Carver fork (for rigid) or Bluto, RST Renegade, Leaf, or Wren (for with Suspension) ... I was wanting a Mastodon but from the posts above it seems it might not fit into my small Fatskey. I was planning Gx for Drivetrain and SLX or XT for brakes. Any other parts recommendations (Bottom bracket, spindle, rotors , wheelsets (light but wont break the bank), stems and handlebars) would be much appreciated! Thanks!

mtbr member
    I went with a Lefty max with upgraded PBR damper and custom build wheelset. ive always wanted a lefty i have not have time to get everything sorted out and weighted yet, ill post a mock up picture tomorrow morning.

Mastodon works but does not clear the down tube which is not an issue for day to day usage. you use a bumper on the frame to avoid damage on contact if there is a crash. i would steer clear of Wren from personal experience, total POS fork very heavy and flexi, it just does not work a bad design.

Im selling my mastodon and specalized stout wheelset that i used for mock up if anyone interested PM me
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Okay I have returned from the world of building up my Lynskey with a mastodon and boy do I have some news for you...it was not easy and an exercise in frustration...but my pain is your gain.

I just finished building up my bike today! There were many iterations of ordering spacers to get the Mastodon to clear the down tube. My suffering does not need to be yours if you follow these hints. Caveat being that I ordered the medium size fatskey so may not translate entirely over to the small.

So components of my build. Superseller you cannot order the gx fat bike crankset for the lynskey, it does not have the chainline that is compatible with a 190 rear. That is why we all have gone with the raceface crankset. I couldn't find another crankset that was compatible since there are 2 issues. One you need the right chainline for the rear hub but also your front chain ring will hit the chainstays on the frame. Trust me don't try to find one on your own. Saves a lot of time.

2) to get the mastodon to work. You need an 8mm extended crown race spacer...not a 5mm not a 3mm. How do I know? cuz I ordered each of those and the fork would not clear. The best place to order is here: https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ext...ork-clearance/

Chris is a cool dude, who helped me out and was totally cool when I ordered the wrong size.

3) since I was going to get an entire wheelset, I went for the china ebay carbon ones. The ICAN version. Sweet wheels which were easy to set up tubless. I researched which tubeless tape to get. I ordered the Kapton tape from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Set up with just one layer and did not get it to go down bubble free but it holds well.

Rear wheelset was entirely easy to fit. But the front wheel needs an adapter since it is a 135mm hub and not a 150mm so you can order again from chris. This adapter: https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ada...t-application/

In addition, just order the lynskey rear thru axle, It's a funky pitch threading so the easiest place to source is directly from lynskey,

ALso the rear brake mount on this frame is an IS mount so I had to order the post mount adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally also note that the mastodon is a 180mm rotor mount so make sure to have a 180mm rotor for the front. I went 160mm on the back.

I went with 1x11 slx from

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...de-Kit-p50818/

and brakes from them as well:
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...e-Pads-p49987/

Do know that shipping takes a while since it has to go through german and us customs. Took about 3 weeks.

Finally have finished the build today and will take it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage.

For those that are into the weight thing. Mine fully kitted out was 32.4 pounds when using the bathroom scale subtraction method.

I live in the sf bay area and this is a definite n+1 bike so I had a lot of free time in building this one up. Hope this helps any one else looking!

I'll add pictures to this thread when I figure out how to post them!

mtbr member
    the mastodon fork does not have to clear the down tube. you can just put a bumper on the frame to avoid crash contact
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    I went with a Lefty max with upgraded PBR damper and custom build wheelset. ive always wanted a lefty i have not have time to get everything sorted out and weighted yet, ill post a mock up picture tomorrow morning.

Mastodon works but does not clear the down tube which is not an issue for day to day usage. you use a bumper on the frame to avoid damage on contact if there is a crash. i would steer clear of Wren from personal experience, total POS fork very heavy and flexi, it just does not work a bad design.

Im selling my mastodon and specalized stout wheelset that i used for mock up if anyone interested PM me
    I was going to ask you whether the Mastodon would still work. But now that you mention the Lefty, I am intrigued. Can you advise which model you went with? I want to be able to use Both 26" x 4.8" Fat as well as 29" x 3"

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by midgedork View Post
    Okay I have returned from the world of building up my Lynskey with a mastodon and boy do I have some news for you...it was not easy and an exercise in frustration...but my pain is your gain.

I just finished building up my bike today! There were many iterations of ordering spacers to get the Mastodon to clear the down tube. My suffering does not need to be yours if you follow these hints. Caveat being that I ordered the medium size fatskey so may not translate entirely over to the small.

So components of my build. Superseller you cannot order the gx fat bike crankset for the lynskey, it does not have the chainline that is compatible with a 190 rear. That is why we all have gone with the raceface crankset. I couldn't find another crankset that was compatible since there are 2 issues. One you need the right chainline for the rear hub but also your front chain ring will hit the chainstays on the frame. Trust me don't try to find one on your own. Saves a lot of time.

2) to get the mastodon to work. You need an 8mm extended crown race spacer...not a 5mm not a 3mm. How do I know? cuz I ordered each of those and the fork would not clear. The best place to order is here: https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ext...ork-clearance/

Chris is a cool dude, who helped me out and was totally cool when I ordered the wrong size.

3) since I was going to get an entire wheelset, I went for the china ebay carbon ones. The ICAN version. Sweet wheels which were easy to set up tubless. I researched which tubeless tape to get. I ordered the Kapton tape from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Set up with just one layer and did not get it to go down bubble free but it holds well.

Rear wheelset was entirely easy to fit. But the front wheel needs an adapter since it is a 135mm hub and not a 150mm so you can order again from chris. This adapter: https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ada...t-application/

In addition, just order the lynskey rear thru axle, It's a funky pitch threading so the easiest place to source is directly from lynskey,

ALso the rear brake mount on this frame is an IS mount so I had to order the post mount adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally also note that the mastodon is a 180mm rotor mount so make sure to have a 180mm rotor for the front. I went 160mm on the back.

I went with 1x11 slx from

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...de-Kit-p50818/

and brakes from them as well:
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...e-Pads-p49987/

Do know that shipping takes a while since it has to go through german and us customs. Took about 3 weeks.

Finally have finished the build today and will take it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage.

For those that are into the weight thing. Mine fully kitted out was 32.4 pounds when using the bathroom scale subtraction method.

I live in the sf bay area and this is a definite n+1 bike so I had a lot of free time in building this one up. Hope this helps any one else looking!

I'll add pictures to this thread when I figure out how to post them!
    Thanks for the detailed response! Hopefully this will help me save time with the build!

mtbr member
    Visited local Cannondale dealer who had the Lefty Super Max 27.5 in stock.
    All the Leftys on the Cannondales in the store did not clear the downtube either.
    Price was the same as if I had bought a Bluto or Mastodon and had them shipped here in the Caribbean.

However, found a deal on Amazon for OEM (Silver Stanchion) Mastodon Extended(27.5") and a Machete Boost for a Lynskey Ridgeline 29" I just bought, for almost the same price.

I am still going to get a Lefty when I get some spare cash. So I am interested in your Lefty build. The store said I needed an adapter ($95 + shipping and taxes) for the Tapered headtube, a $70 stem(1.5") and a Wheel with Lefty hub.

mtbr member
    Here mine all mocked up. as for the lefty, its a lefty max with PBR internals its travelling at 110mm with no spacers installed. im running 1pc 3mm headset spacer on the bottom of top clamp, 1pc 5mm spacer on top of the top clamp to clear for bottom fat clamp and lockut knob/short 35mm stem. my bottom fat clamp got tricky. the lower part of clamp landed in the thicker part of the fork. top half of the bottom fat clamp is shimmed with 2 layers of bear can so both bolts tighten the same amount.

all it needs its drivetrain and brakes which i have already. gonna run Hope tech evo M6 brakes and sram XX/X9 1x10 with 10-40t rear cassette. my front chainring is 28T. front hub is a cannondale stock hub, rear is fatlab 72t POE hub with Surly marge lite rims

also need to trim the steerer tube and paint the rims black. camo tapes in th rim holes. in the further ill make some custom camo decals for the frame.

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-safasfa.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20180202_193258.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20180202_193138.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20180202_193129.jpg

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-20180202_193049.jpg
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Picture of fatskey with extended crown race

Here is a picture of the lynskey size medium with the 8mm extended crown race if you want to run the manitou fork. I notice no issues and have been hitting a lot of decent single track descents around where I live.

The Lynskey Fatskey thread-extended-crown-race-pic.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi Midgedork, my fatskey is a small, do you tink I would need a higher extended crown race to clear the downtube? thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    superseller, I'm not sure if the geometry is different between the small and the medium. I don't think so given the mock up pictures that akacoke put up at the beginning of the thread. I would go for the 8 mm extended crown race. You replace your current crown race with this one. I used the can creek model of head set. Chris who sold mine (linked above in my build description) can answer compatibility questions for your specific head set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    What the biggest front chain ring has anyone installed? I was wanting a 34 or 36 t Sram GX chainring but I was not sure whether it would fit....

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Just want to say thanks

Just want to say THANKS for the help. With thread I was able to navigate through this build.
    Thanks again
    WISportsmanThe Lynskey Fatskey thread-fatskey.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks awesome! What racks is that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    That's the Axiom Fatliner