Thread: Lynskey Fatskey

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lynskey Fatskey

I'm sure by now you have seen the ad on MTBR for the Fatskey. Anyone currently have one any other Lynskey Fat Bike? My question is what is the UDG Wheelset and Fork? Anyone with experience on them?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a Stratus.
    Ti fattness

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Have you tried the 29er+ wheel set on the stratus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN29'er View Post
    I'm sure by now you have seen the ad on MTBR for the Fatskey. Anyone currently have one any other Lynskey Fat Bike? My question is what is the UDG Wheelset and Fork? Anyone with experience on them?

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure you're asking what material the UDG fork and wheels are, right? This is total conjecture, but my guess is aluminum for both.

You can make out tig welds on the fork in their photos, but it also appears to have an angular, hydro-formed shape to the leg. And the cone shaped piece at the crown race area, to match the diameter of the tapered headtube, sort of reminds me of the fatback aluminum forks. Not something you'd expect to be done in steel.
    https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...tskey-x-9.html

A quick google search for Ultimate Design Global fat bike rims brings up these aluminum rims, too: Fat bike wheel, View Fat bike wheel, Product Details from Ultimate Design Global LTD. on Alibaba.com

So obviously these seem to be the components they've selected for the complete builds.

LOTS of Lynskey fat bikes out there. Other than DeSalvo, Vicious and, maybe, Surly, I think they've been doing off-the-shelf fat frames longer than anyone else - just for other brands.

The Stratus will be the most relevant, though. At a quick glance, it looks like they haven't changed the geometry for the Fatskey, and the only differences are the tapered headtube and the twisty tubes thing.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the specs change, though. Interesting that they're offering the Bluto as an option, but still keep the 70 degree headtube angle of the Stratus. Doesn't the Bluto have a lot of rake, being intended for slacker angles? Seems like they'd end up with a pretty low-trail, quick-steering geometry. On the other hand, maybe the longer a-c height compensates.)

I have a Stratus that I'd intended to build a 29+ wheelset for but, when I decided to go with a rohloff build, a second wheel set became cost prohibitive. I can tell you that there would be no problem with clearance. In general, I think it would be a good option for this, compared to many other frames, because the bottom bracket is a little lower.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the research on UDG. I was curious if anyone had any experience with their products.

Thanks

dvn
    mtbr member
    Max 4" tires = deal breaker.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Max 4" tires = deal breaker.
    Thats not really accurate. I've got a dilinger 5 on mine with an easy 3/8 " additional chainstay clearace at the narrowest point (shoulder).

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Thats not really accurate. I've got a dilinger 5 on mine with an easy 3/8 " additional chainstay clearace at the narrowest point (shoulder).
    Good to know. I was just going by the info provided on their website.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    hi. did you do any drivetrain modifications in order to fit the 5in tire? are you using 100mm rims also? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin_eyemd View Post
    hi. did you do any drivetrain modifications in order to fit the 5in tire? are you using 100mm rims also? thanks
    I meant to come back and clarify this some more, but 'yes,' you'd have to make some drivetrain modifications to fit a tire this big - as is the case with any 170mm hub setup. I personally don't think this is a big deal, and I think there are actually benefits to it, but most people want plug-n-play I guess, which is why they came out with the 190mm hub standard.

Lynskey stating that their bike will "fit a 4" tire" is clearly based on the idea of using an off-the-shelf drivetrain, and has nothing to do with chainstay clearance, or how big of a tire will actually fit in the bike itself. (FYI though, they seem to be talking about a true 4" wide. Since most tires are labeled somewhat optimistically, that means that tires somewhat bigger than the standard Larry, Nate, etc. will fit - but again, this is the case elsewhere.)

I had planned to drop a couple of the small cogs from a 9-speed cassette on my build but, before I had a chance to get there, Rohloff announced the Speedhub XL. So I waited and went with the "ultimate" drivetrain modification.

Here are a couple of shots to show the clearances. Some other important notes, while I'm at it:

Lynskey Fatskey-d5.01.jpgLynskey Fatskey-d5.02.jpgLynskey Fatskey-d5.03.jpg

- This is a Dillinger 5 on a 82mm rolling Darryl. A clownshoe or other 100m rim would widen it but, from available cited measurements, would still fit. The shoulder, which is the critical point, doesn't widen as much as the overall casing, where there is more than enough clearance available. I chose the 'narrower' rims because it gives even more tire options, I like the more rounded tire profile, because they're appropriate more often and weigh less, and because I will swap my front wheel to a fat-front 29er on occasion.

- This is with the dropouts about 1/4 inch back. Without using a half-link, this is the measurement that works with the cog/chainring sizes I selected. So, if you want to use the shortest chainstay setting, there will be a little less clearance than this. THIS wheel/tire combination will still work, but I don't know if a wider rim or tire would.

- I frankly think Lynskey botched this a bit. When they first came out with the Stratus, I asked them where the 17.95" cs length was measured, and they said "middle setting." But it's clearly the shortest. If it offered just 3/8" more forward adjustment, I could drop another whole link, have a shorter chainstay, and probably still fit the same tire/rim.

- On the other hand, if you wanted to set it up for a 29+ second wheel setup, you'd have to adjust the dropouts back even further than this anyway. That was originally my plan, but the cost of the speedhub, while a bargain for the first complete build, pretty much precludes ever owning a second wheel set.

- Similarly, if you were willing to set the sliders all the way to the back, I think you could actually fit even the "biggest" tires - a snowshoe XL or a Lou - at least on a 82mm rim.

- And people obsess over chainstay length "numbers" way too much, anyway. Because the drop on this is a bit more than other mountain bikes or newer fat bikes, it is effectively shorter than it reads (it revolves in a direction toward going "under" the front of the tire). And for tall riders like me on big bikes (large or extra large) it matters even less, because your longer seatpost extension puts your weight further over the rear axle anyway. On dry (pre-winter) conditions, this bike actually climbed better than my previous fat bike, which was exactly the same geometry other than having 1/4" shorter chainstay.

Long answer, but hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Could you do me a favor and tell me what the BB height is? (ground clearance)

Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhan View Post
    Could you do me a favor and tell me what the BB height is? (ground clearance)

Nice looking bike!
    Sorry for slow reply - I didn't see your post. I get 11 7/8" to center of bb, but that's using a 4.8" tire (Dillinger 5). Probably more useful is the bb drop specification from Lynskey, which says it's 2.48".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    sharing mine.

Lynskey Fatskey-1a.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! Anxious to hear what you think of the handling with the bluto. What bars are those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks. its a carver prybar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Edwin...Can I ask your for your ride impressions? I am torn between fatskey and ti o'beast, but your setup looks awesome. Also, can you comment on sizing and your height? Thanks!