Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Initial observations after doing 40 miles on the Lurch:

1. Ensure the non driveside crank arm (two Allen screws) are torqued down to proper specs. I had some creaking/slipping happening until I set them to the correct torque.

2. Shifters and brake levers come installed in such a way that you or a mechanic will likely have to adjust them on the bars.
    Last edited by Hackinator; 09-05-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    YESSS!!!! First in with Metallic Gray! So many purples my head is spinning!
    Nice looking Lurch!

BTW, my wrists hurt just looking at the handlebar setup. I'd rotate the bars back so the sweep is actually sweep not rise, but maybe that's just me.

I like the red accents. Enjoy the ride...
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Photos of the Lurch for you all.

The Lurch Lounge-imag2387.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2389.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2391.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2392.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2393.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2394.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2396.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2398.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2399.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2400.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2402.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2403.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2405.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2406.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2410.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2415.jpg

The Lurch Lounge-imag2419.jpg

Investigator
    May 2008

Lurch

The Lurch Lounge-img_0309.jpg

Put 12 miles of single track on the Lurch yesterday after getting it all setup the way I like and tensioning the spokes, and torquing all fasteners. This thing actually weighs 3 pounds less than my Motobecane Fantom Elite DS, which was a welcome surprise. Glad I got the 20" frame as the standover height is actually 30.5" compared to Bikesdirect 32" listing. Rolls very easy and climbs sandy rocky hills with ease. Very Pleased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Motobecane Fantom Elite DS weighs over 40 lbs? How is that possible?

mtbr member
    I got my 14 inch black Lurch home last night. Everything looked good and went together nicely. I didn't have time to adjust the brakes or play with the derailleurs. I'm not good with derailleurs and have never adjusted a disk brake so we will see.....

A couple of questions:

There are two black plastic pieces about six inches long taped together, I have no idea what they are. packing material?

Also, the clear plastic piece between the cassette and spokes doesn't want to stay nice. Should it be removed?

Thanks in advance
    Jim

Not sure why but I can't get my pics to upload??????

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    FYI: The Bikes Direct spec list shows pedals as NA and they are not shown on the pictures of the bike, so it looks like pedals are NOT included.

Sadly for me, my bike was delayed in TX for shipping, so I'm on hold until next week

So, I was looking at the pics and it appears that the lower cup is internal to the frame. If this is the case, then an external cup would raise the front end more than 2mm, which should provide sufficient clearance for a Bluto.

Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jimmac23;11431801]
    A couple of questions:

There are two black plastic pieces about six inches long taped together, I have no idea what they are. packing material?

Also, the clear plastic piece between the cassette and spokes doesn't want to stay nice. Should it be removed?

The black plastic thing taped together is a fork dropout spacer to prevent the forks from getting bent in while shipping since there isn't a hub in there when packaged.

I always remove the spoke protector, but there is nothing wrong with leaving it on. That particular design didn't fit the spokes well, so it will probably always rattle. Unless you carefully cut it off without damaging the spokes, you'll need a chain whip and a cassette removal tool to pull the cassette of. My cassette lock ring was on with about a billion ft/lbs of torque.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

So, I was looking at the pics and it appears that the lower cup is internal to the frame. If this is the case, then an external cup would raise the front end more than 2mm, which should provide sufficient clearance for a Bluto.

Can anyone confirm?
    The Lurch Lounge-imag2427.jpg

Bottom cup is internal.

Investigator
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy2288 View Post
    Motobecane Fantom Elite DS weighs over 40 lbs? How is that possible?
    I use my DS for downhill rides so I have heavy 2.4 inch wide tires, heavy duty tubes, dropper seat post, fenders, heavy duty Black Spire chainring protector, 8" front rotor, 7" rear rotor, head light and battery pack, besides the 08 Fantom Elite DS is a 30 lb bike stock. Comparing stock to stock yes the Lurch is 10 pounds heavier.

mtbr member
    FYI: The Bikes Direct spec list shows pedals as NA and they are not shown on the pictures of the bike, so it looks like pedals are NOT included.

Sadly for me, my bike was delayed in TX for shipping, so I'm on hold until next week

Can anyone confirm?
    As of yesterday when I got a screenshot of the BD lurch specs, pedals were still listed as included, which I included in my email to BD on the missing pedals, so they should honor the pedal specs thing and ship pedals to everyone on this order.

Looking at another FSA headset compared to the stock Lurch one, I calculated that an external lower cup would add an additional 7-8 mm of stack height below the head tube. More than enough for Bluto clearance, per the BD statement that the Bluto lockout did not clear the down tube by 2mm - we still don't know which size frame they were referencing with this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    As of yesterday when I got a screenshot of the BD lurch specs, pedals were still listed as included, which I included in my email to BD on the missing pedals, so they should honor the pedal specs thing and ship pedals to everyone on this order.
    watermonkey could you please post a sentence or two from your email to Bikes Direct requesting pedals be sent. I didn't receive them either and it would be helpful for all of us to send something to BD to get thos moving along.

mtbr member
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear your bike arrived without pedals, I will be glad to help.

Unfortunately The factory forgot the pedals in all of our lurches and we just found out. I have some pedals on order that I can send out when they arrive or I can simply refund you $20 and you can purchase the pedals of your choice.

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Larry @ Bikes Direct

Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post

Looking at another FSA headset compared to the stock Lurch one, I calculated that an external lower cup would add an additional 7-8 mm of stack height below the head tube. More than enough for Bluto clearance, per the BD statement that the Bluto lockout did not clear the down tube by 2mm - we still don't know which size frame they were referencing with this.
    I'm not mechanically savy so pardon my dumb question...I believe the Bluto can be purchased with an optional remote lockout. Would the remote allow for additional clearance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I'm not mechanically savy so pardon my dumb question...I believe the Bluto can be purchased with an optional remote lockout. Would the remote allow for additional clearance?
    The optional remote lockout is a handlebar mounted switch which allows the rider to turn the suspension feature of the fork on or off without having to reach down to the fork crown where the switch is commonly located. The remote lockout will have nothing to do with fork clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

The Lurch Lounge

I think his question was will the lockout itself be a different shape and maybe clear the down tube

Pedaling

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear your bike arrived without pedals, I will be glad to help.

Unfortunately The factory forgot the pedals in all of our lurches and we just found out. I have some pedals on order that I can send out when they arrive or I can simply refund you $20 and you can purchase the pedals of your choice.

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Larry @ Bikes Direct

If it were me i would take the $20. especially if they are the same bear traps that came on my bullseye monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    hey guys,
    Just lurching...I mean Lurking. I bought a pair of these for my Boris.
    They are new with removable pins.
    Wellgo Platform Pedals LU313 with Replacable Pins 9 16 Blue BMX MTB | eBay
    And cheap...far better than the ones BD sends us.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Yella Fella

Nice packaging. The paint is a little light in welds and a weird reddish powder was all over bike (from shipping?). Only casualty is crushed shift cable and no pedals… For the money can't go wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-yl1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My purple Lurch arrived this morning with numerous scratches and abrasions to the paint. Also there is more considerable damage to the bottom surfaces of the fork dropouts where large sections of paint are completely missing. The two taped together pieces of plastic mentioned in an earlier post appear to have popped off in transit causing the fork to rub on shipping box. I have emailed Bikes Direct and am waiting on a response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    I think his question was will the lockout itself be a different shape and maybe clear the down tube

Pedaling
    Thanks...yes, that's what I meant. I've got a remote on my hardtail and was wondering if the Bluto with remote might clear since it eliminates the lever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BD refunded me $30 for the clear coat blemish that I touched up with a few drops of automotive clear coat. They did offer me to ship bike back and get new frame but I don't think it's worth it due to the tiny amount of damage. Also I got $20 back for missing pedals. BD customer service is fast and fair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Is the Lurch the least expensive fatbike with steel (chromoly) frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Love it. I have owned something from almost every brand and I love this bike. You need some knowledge to know how to set it up perfect. The brakes needed to be set up and many don't know how. Gears were close and the setup was nice. Great choice of components. Get it setup right and you will love it. Missing pedals was no big deal.

Candlestick Maker
    I've never dealt with bikesdirect before, but this seems like pretty good customer service:

"Hi - Joe here with Bikesdirect. Thank you so much for ordering a Motobecane Lurch Fat bike. Customers are loving the Lurch and are sharing photos and comments in the Lurch Lounge on MTBR.com The Lurch Lounge Unbeknownst to us there was a mistake with the factory specs and pedals are not included. We have updated the site and apologize for that. Many folks already have pedals they prefer and usually toss out the entry level pedals. If you need pedals we can refund you $20 or ship you a pair of entry level platform pedals. If you want one of these options please reply to this email and clearly state which option you prefer. We will take care of you right away. ***If you have already been helped with this matter, please disregard this message*** Cheers and Happy Riding, Joe "
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_m View Post
    Is the Lurch the least expensive fatbike with steel (chromoly) frame?
    Nope. That title belongs to Walmart fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just got my Lurch today. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the rotor bolts for the front tire. Am I missing something? I sent an email to BD, but I'd figure I'd ask here as well.

Candlestick Maker

Re: The Lurch Lounge

Blue Lurch has arrived. 38.4 lbs as you see it. One pinched derailleur housing, everything else looks ge eat.
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xherion View Post
    I just got my Lurch today. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the rotor bolts for the front tire. Am I missing something? I sent an email to BD, but I'd figure I'd ask here as well.
    The 6 screws are in a small bag all by themselves. I had trouble finding them myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmac23 View Post
    The 6 screws are in a small bag all by themselves. I had trouble finding them myself.
    Thank you. I quadruple checked everything and can't find it. The box had a fist sized hole in it...I wonder if it fell out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Rotor bolts are M5x10mm. You can likely find hex head version at the local hardware store. Use some blue locktite on them.

mtbr member
    The Lurch Lounge-lurch-f.jpgThe Lurch Lounge-lurch-gate-crash-2-.jpg

Late to the party, but here are a couple of shots of mine.

I changed the stem and handlebars, then in the second shot the tires and rim tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-lurch-gate-crash.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The Lurch Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lurch F.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	921286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lurch gate crash (2).jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	921287

Late to the party, but here are a couple of shots of mine.

I changed the stem and handlebars, then in the second shot the tires and rim tape.
    How do you like the orange? Is it me, or is this color slept on?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice looking bikes guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkitekt View Post
    How do you like the orange? Is it me, or is this color slept on?
    I don't know what you mean by "slept on", could you please explain.

I like it, but for some reason I expected it to be darker and more like the old Bridgestone orange and not metallic.The Lurch Lounge-bridgestone-xo.jpg

Still very happy though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah I got the same email from them Baker. I guess they don't know I had to cancel my order .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Slept on. LOL. I like the Orange

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New to the party too, here! Just got my Lurch today, in yellow. I'm in Ottawa, Canada, so had it shipped to a UPS Store over the border and drove down to pick it up after work, after it was delivered this morning.

First impressions? Super-impressed!! The bike came well-packaged and well set-up from the factory. Shifters/derailleurs and rear brake were well adjusted. Threw the thing together and took it for a spin around the neighbourhood... Rides way better than any of the fatbikes I've test-ridden. Probably has a lot to do with the wheel/tire set-up, but I really like the way this bike handles. Oh, and speaking of handles, am I the only one who got a bike with the handlebars installed upside-down? I'll take care of that tomorrow...

Overall, I feel like this bike is amazing value and blows away anything else in its category. This is my first purchase from Bikes Direct and I'm sure it won't be my last. I'm already thinking that I could easily get my money back on the Lurch, selling it locally, if I decide I want to move to something different like a Night Train. Or a Ti-Fatty when BD puts one out.

Admittedly, there were a couple of small issues. Mine was shipped without pedals, like everyone else's.. The paint/powder coat was a little chipped-up on the dropouts, too. Not the end of the world, but something I hope BD will take into consideration.

Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Boris X5 I got for the girlfriend came with an extra set of yellow rim strips to match my yellow Lurch! I'll be poaching those, for sure!!

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting everything set up properly and taking it for a better ride tomorrow. Maybe somewhere that I'm not disrupting basketball games when I ride across the playground! :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I almost missed them also. They are wrapped in plastic inside the rotor plastic. Easy to miss

NeedGod.com
    I got the front tire setup tubeless today. Used this method: How to set up a fat bike tubeless | Dirt Rag

Had a little bit of an issue with the small crack where the rim butts against itself. Used some superglue and small strips of gorilla tape and it seemed to seal up. Will post back with pictures when I do the rear tire. Gotta get some more weatherstripping first.

Before you guys ask, the reasons I go tubeless are:

1) Much less possibility of flats.
    2) Noticeable weight loss. Those fat tubes are like Coast Guard lifesaving devices.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    New to the party too, here! Just got my Lurch today, in yellow. I'm in Ottawa, Canada, so had it shipped to a UPS Store over the border and drove down to pick it up after work, after it was delivered this morning.

First impressions? Super-impressed!! The bike came well-packaged and well set-up from the factory. Shifters/derailleurs and rear brake were well adjusted. Threw the thing together and took it for a spin around the neighbourhood... Rides way better than any of the fatbikes I've test-ridden. Probably has a lot to do with the wheel/tire set-up, but I really like the way this bike handles. Oh, and speaking of handles, am I the only one who got a bike with the handlebars installed upside-down? I'll take care of that tomorrow...

Overall, I feel like this bike is amazing value and blows away anything else in its category. This is my first purchase from Bikes Direct and I'm sure it won't be my last. I'm already thinking that I could easily get my money back on the Lurch, selling it locally, if I decide I want to move to something different like a Night Train. Or a Ti-Fatty when BD puts one out.

Admittedly, there were a couple of small issues. Mine was shipped without pedals, like everyone else's.. The paint/powder coat was a little chipped-up on the dropouts, too. Not the end of the world, but something I hope BD will take into consideration.

Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Boris X5 I got for the girlfriend came with an extra set of yellow rim strips to match my yellow Lurch! I'll be poaching those, for sure!!

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting everything set up properly and taking it for a better ride tomorrow. Maybe somewhere that I'm not disrupting basketball games when I ride across the playground! :-)

Did you get taxed coming back over the border?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anyone have issues with the q/r on the rear? I did it up tight and it slipped and bit under heavy braking. I did it up even tighter so that it was extremely hard to lock by hand but it seems stable now. Does anyone know of bolt on skewers for 190mm? I have a nice set of bolt on for my xc bike but I think this fat bike could really benefit from some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Did you get taxed coming back over the border?
    I had some fortunate timing... I'd been in the US for a week at the end of August, so ordered the bikes then. When I came back, I used my personal exemption and the "goods following" clause to cover most of the value of the bikes, even though I was importing them a week later. If you're thinking of pulling the trigger, maybe think about a weekend stay in the US. That gives you an $800 allowance for goods to bring back.

From CBSA:
    48 hours or more Up to CAN$800 – May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. Goods must be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. Travellers absent for periods of 48 hours or more will have the applicable exemption level credited against the total value of goods.
    7 days or more Up to CAN$800 – May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. For the seven-day exemption, goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (such as via courier, mail or delivery agency), except alcohol and tobacco products, which must be in your possession. All the goods will qualify for duty- and tax-free entry if they are declared at the initial return to Canada.

siv
    mtbr member
    Here's a eBay link to Snowshoe 4.7 120 TPI tired I though you guys might appreciate. I wish they came on the Night Train I ordered.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=291234093126

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    Here's a eBay link to Snowshoe 4.7 120 TPI tired I though you guys might appreciate. I wish they came on the Night Train I ordered.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=291234093126

These are the tires that come on the lurch.

mtbr member
    Anyone have issues with the q/r on the rear? I did it up tight and it slipped and bit under heavy braking. I did it up even tighter so that it was extremely hard to lock by hand but it seems stable now.
    Mine did as well, when I was bedding in the brakes. I tightened down the rear QR tighter than I am comfortable tightening those fancy boutique QRs.

Seem to have solved the issue for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
    Nope. That title belongs to Walmart fat bikes.
    Technically it doesn't. The Walmart bikes are High Tensile steel , not chromoly.

Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    These are the tires that come on the lurch.
    The Lurch comes with 4.5 72TPI Snowshoes, those are the 4.7 120TPI Snowshoes with the Silica compound rubber, which is supposed to perform better when it is really cold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Technically it doesn't. The Walmart bikes are High Tensile steel , not chromoly.

The Lurch comes with 4.5 72TPI Snowshoes, those are the 4.7 120TPI Snowshoes with the Silica compound rubber, which is supposed to perform better when it is really cold.
    My mistake! Still the same tire size wise, better off upgrading to the xl which is also 120tpi and only 16 bucks more for the pair. Could also get the bulldozers for ten dollars less with 5% off New customer code.

Hooligan

Saw my first lurch last night!
    Very impressed with how it road.

As you would expect, the tires were significantly bigger than my 4.0's.

My biggest surprise was now much lower the front of the frame was than my 18" bullseye monster. I didn't ask what size it was, but the owner was a big guy.
    EDIT - looking closer at my picture, I would say its an 18" like mine.
    The Lurch Lounge-uploadfromtaptalk1410014266432.jpg
    I think they like each other
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anyone have issues with the q/r on the rear? I did it up tight and it slipped and bit under heavy braking. I did it up even tighter so that it was extremely hard to lock by hand but it seems stable now. Does anyone know of bolt on skewers for 190mm? I have a nice set of bolt on for my xc bike but I think this fat bike could really benefit from some.
    This was one of my concerns before ordering. A quality rear 190 QR can be found, but a 150 QR front is non existent, that I can see. These pieces are hardened so cutting new threads on a 170 would be difficult if impossible. Anyone ever done this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Would a surly tuggnut solve the rear slippage issue? My rear is moving in on the drive side whenever I stand and pedal.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

siv
    mtbr member
    I'm still confused about tire size. Why would Vee Rubber make a Snowshoe in 4.5 and 4.7?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    I'm still confused about tire size. Why would Vee Rubber make a Snowshoe in 4.5 and 4.7?
    The 4.5 was really more like a 4. Think of the 4.7 as a correction on their part. Other discussions here have noted that the new h-billie tire is actually just a renamed original snowshoe. Most likely the 4.5 will be phased out once stock is gone.

There is a pretty good article over at fat-bike.com about the new snowshoe and bulldozer tires from awhile back for more info as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

The Lurch Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
    Would a surly tuggnut solve the rear slippage issue? My rear is moving in on the drive side whenever I stand and pedal.
    How can the wheel move forward when there is a stop?
    I mentioned this early, slam the rear wheel all the way forward and bypass the stops.

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anybody weighed these lurches. Is it 30 pounds like it says on the ups shipping info?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureRider View Post
    Anybody weighed these lurches. Is it 30 pounds like it says on the ups shipping info?
    My small is 38.4 pounds with a set of Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals. So, that would make it about 37.7 as shipped.
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    How can the wheel move forward when there is a stop?
    I mentioned this early, slam the rear wheel all the way forward and bypass the stops.
    Yeah I guess these screws bend super easy. I cut the allen head off and threaded the screw out backwards. No damage to dropout threads. Slammed the wheel forward..seems to work fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-20140906_115135.jpg  

Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Lurch Lounge-20140906_085955.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped with my missing rotor bolts. I was able to get some at at hardware store. This is my first flatbar bike, much less a fatty, so adjusting to this might take a while. Finished assembling it last night and here it is this morning.

Overall I'm happy. Small scuffs on the chain stays, but nothing big. Rotors need some adjustment but that's expected. This thing is heavy though! I'm used to a 20 lb road bike, so it's a big adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Xherion View Post

Name:	20140906_085955.jpg 
Views:	1555 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	921392

Thanks to everyone who helped with my missing rotor bolts. I was able to get some at at hardware store. This is my first flatbar bike, much less a fatty, so adjusting to this might take a while. Finished assembling it last night and here it is this morning.

Overall I'm happy. Small scuffs on the chain stays, but nothing big. Rotors need some adjustment but that's expected. This thing is heavy though! I'm used to a 20 lb road bike, so it's a big adjustment.
    Road bike can't go everywhere...the lurch can. The lurch is a great looking bike. Use and abuse it...then in a couple years, powder coat it flat black!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    long time lurker here on MTBR.

I'm super close to pulling the trigger on a lurch, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick sizing advice before I seal the deal?

I'm about 6 foot so my first instinct is to buy a large frame, but I see a lot of people who seem to ride a much smaller frame with the seatpost riding real high. as someone mentioned earlier in the thread the stand over height is a little lower than what is listed on the site, I was thinking about going for a medium frame and staying on the smaller side of the size range. I feel very comfortable on my Dirt jumper and would like to keep some of the same kind of maneuverability with a Lurch. Is my logic sound here? should I go with a Medium or size down even to a small frame? thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah I guess these screws bend super easy. I cut the allen head off and threaded the screw out backwards. No damage to dropout threads. Slammed the wheel forward..seems to work fine.
    Have you had the chance to take your Lurch out for a ride since you slammed the wheel forward?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The Lurch Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_spaceman View Post

I'm super close to pulling the trigger on a lurch, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick sizing advice before I seal the deal?

I'm about 6 foot so my first instinct is to buy a large frame, but I see a lot of people who seem to ride a much smaller frame with the seatpost riding real high. as someone mentioned earlier in the thread the stand over height is a little lower than what is listed on the site, I was thinking about going for a medium frame and staying on the smaller side of the size range. I feel very comfortable on my Dirt jumper and would like to keep some of the same kind of maneuverability with a Lurch. Is my logic sound here? should I go with a Medium or size down even to a small frame? thoughts?
    I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm 5'-10" and I went with a large. The stand over is excellent, and it leaves me with what I perceive to be, at least a good 2" of room from the top tube. I don't feel stretched out or cramped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    5'9 and went with an 18"….perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

The Lurch Lounge

after a year of reading and researching fatties I finally picked up my lurch this morning, just got back from first ride; felt very much on display on a 4 inch tire metallic purple bike on city streets, lots of stares and smiles, don't like to attract attention to myself in general so was questioning whether this bike and I would be a good mix...just about then I turned off city streets and onto park trails...

my oh my, think that was the most fun I've had standing up ever, I've ridden and run through this park for last 5 years yet it felt brand new this time, can literally point this damn bike anywhere, had a few crashes and came out soaked but smiling like a fool! I didn't think I could convert so quick but it's unlike any biking I've ever done as a road/commuter/hybrid guy only
    so far....fun fun fun!

as far a lurch specifics go, had same issue with rear qr, slipped on me a couple times while braking, had to tighten it down to point of uncomfortableness, hopefully that will help, seat also kept slipping, have it tightened harder than any qr seat I've ever owned....all in all extremely impressed and happy and look fwd to exploring new worlds on it again soon...definitely comes into it's own off pavement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeedGod.com
    Successfully converted both tires on my Lurch to tubeless. I was going to take pictures, but there's really nothing to it. Used Gorilla tape and Stan's. Put some weatherstripping on either side of the rim to stop burps at low pressure, then covered them with more tape. Sealed up first try with the air compressor.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    is there a website or a tutorial you used for reference? I would love to do this to mine once it arrives

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That should be fine unless running larger meats then a high quality bolt reversed w/ a nut would work. Bad design, the bolt doesn't hit the axle squarely.

mtbr member

I think you'll be unhappy on an 18" Medium Lurch. I'm 5'10" and got the 18". It works, but if I didn't already have a setback post, I'd be crowded. I've rode this bike at the pump track, in the skate park (crazy traction on the concrete walls - sooooo much fun) and rode the bejesus out of it today on my usual singletrack. Crazy ass fun, but I could honestly fit on a large. All of those super extended seat posts kind of freak me out - there's frame damage coming in the future for those setups.

Seat post slippage - mine was doing it too. The inside of the seat tube had a fair amount of grease on it, and regardless of how hard I clamped it down, 5 minutes later my post had dropped a few inches. I took some MEK on a rag and swabbed down the inside of the seat tube and the post, BUT, MEK eats paint, so keep it away from your paint job or your seatpost if its powder coated or painted (Thompson's are anodized - OK with MEK). No more slippage. QR skewers should be tightened down as much as humanly possible without using tools, to the point that you almost bruise your palm. Lightly grease the cam surface of the QR lever, and the ft/lbs of torque you can apply increases greatly. Haven't had a rear wheel shift yet.
    Last edited by watermonkey; 09-06-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added content

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    this is exactly what I needed to hear!! unfortunately they are currently sold out of all the 18" frames... I would have totally settled for any color, but alas I will have to wait.

Candlestick Maker

First (and second) ride impressions

OK, I got the Lurch out for a couple rides.

The first ride was a 9 mile round trip into Keystone for an Oktoberfest Festival / Concert with the family. Lots of fun and lots of comments and sideways glances. The bike was fine on the streets and paved paths, albeit a little loud.

Lurch at Soda Creek by bbaker22, on Flickr

The second ride was a 10 mile mix, mostly singletrack. Messed around quite a bit with air pressure. Bringing it down low where the bumps disappear introduces lots of self-steer. Too high and it feels a bit sketchy. It'll take a bit to find the middle ground.

Lurch on Soda Creek by bbaker22, on Flickr

I had a heck of a time getting both disc brakes dialed in. Both have to be slammed completely to the outside to reduce (but not eliminate) brake rub. I suspect things will get better with brake wear, but I'm not impressed with those tolerances. I may need to have the mounting points faced to eliminate rub. And, I have had many many bikes with BB7's, so I'm not totally clueless.

I didn't even think about bike size, which means it must be the right size for me, 5'9" and small.
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Okay, so here's my Mello Yello. Swapped out the bars since and set up the front brake. Got everything tweaked and torqued. I'll be wanting to re-route some of the cables at some point, but having too much fun to worry about that for now.

The Lurch Lounge-lurchy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    OK, I got the Lurch out for a couple rides.

The first ride was a 9 mile round trip into Keystone for an Oktoberfest Festival / Concert with the family. Lots of fun and lots of comments and sideways glances. The bike was fine on the streets and paved paths, albeit a little loud.

Lurch at Soda Creek by bbaker22, on Flickr

The second ride was a 10 mile mix, mostly singletrack. Messed around quite a bit with air pressure. Bringing it down low where the bumps disappear introduces lots of self-steer. Too high and it feels a bit sketchy. It'll take a bit to find the middle ground.

Lurch on Soda Creek by bbaker22, on Flickr

I had a heck of a time getting both disc brakes dialed in. Both have to be slammed completely to the outside to reduce (but not eliminate) brake rub. I suspect things will get better with brake wear, but I'm not impressed with those tolerances. I may need to have the mounting points faced to eliminate rub. And, I have had many many bikes with BB7's, so I'm not totally clueless.

I didn't even think about bike size, which means it must be the right size for me, 5'9" and small.
    Did you center the caliper? Pull the brake cable tight and retighten the clamp on the caliper? Mine feel quite good, almost hydro feeling.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    Did you center the caliper? Pull the brake cable tight and retighten the clamp on the caliper? Mine feel quite good, almost hydro feeling.
    I've done everything I can think of to try to get it aligned. Cable tension has been checked. Tightening the cable would actually exacerbate the issue. It won't kill me to ride with slight rubbing, but it might drive me crazy :-) I'l check again after some more miles and see if I have better luck.
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    super psyched to have it built and a little bling'd!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-010.jpg  

The Lurch Lounge-006.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'll buy one when they put they Bluto on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I'll buy one when they put they Bluto on it.
    When the bike was first advertised, it was billed as being Bluto ready. Later they rescinded because of possible clearance issues between the down tube and the lockout mechanism.

Thus it seems unlikely they will offer this frame with a Bluto.
    Last edited by rex615; 09-07-2014 at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Tubeless method works for me as well. Dropped ~1.3 lbs off bike using stans, weatherstripping, and gorilla tape. The lighter wheels make a massive difference in feel and acceleration of the bike.

NeedGod.com
    I'm getting a fair amount of burping with the tubeless at medium to low pressure. Hopefully, it will settle down a bit after a few rides.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Okay, so here's my Mello Yello. Swapped out the bars since and set up the front brake. Got everything tweaked and torqued. I'll be wanting to re-route some of the cables at some point, but having too much fun to worry about that for now.

Name:	Lurchy.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	921439

That yellow is awesome! But mellow yellow? How about SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKER!?
    Last edited by watermonkey; 09-06-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added content

banned
    Sep 2008
    Tubeless method works for me as well. Dropped ~1.3 lbs off bike using stans, weatherstripping, and gorilla tape. The lighter wheels make a massive difference in feel and acceleration of the bike.
    had you just put lighter tubes in you woulda saved about the same weight and much less time/cost/effort. and less mess if you have to deal with a sidewall tear or tire swap.

rog

mtbr member
    Great looking lurches out there, lurcheads. Keep those pics comin'.

Still waiting for someone to post pics of the gray . . .

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride612 View Post
    super psyched to have it built and a little bling'd!!
    live2ride612, that's bada$$. That's my plan as well, blue on black. It was actually supposed to be blue on gray, but it will look just as good on the black that BD sub'd in. In addition to the grips, housing and rim strips, I've also got some blue candy's and a coupla really loud plastic bottle cages waiting. Thinking about pulling the trigger on this saddle, as well:

Name:  blue saddle.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  4.5 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

The Lurch Lounge

after a bit of tweaking and refining this eve, I have come to the conclusion my rear disc mount is a bit off, tolerances are problematic on my end as well, and what I thought was pad rub even with pads wide open turns out to be something else

when bolts to attach to frame are tightened the whole bb7 pulls hard to right and makes outer pad hit rotor no matter what, but even worse pulls top washers directly on to rotor as well....gonna have to see of I can bed it back a bit, tried tonight without much luck...

banned
    Sep 2008
    start filing. carefully

8" flat file works well.

rog

Investigator
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rajcoont View Post
    after a bit of tweaking and refining this eve, I have come to the conclusion my rear disc mount is a bit off, tolerances are problematic on my end as well, and what I thought was pad rub even with pads wide open turns out to be something else

when bolts to attach to frame are tightened the whole bb7 pulls hard to right and makes outer pad hit rotor no matter what, but even worse pulls top washers directly on to rotor as well....gonna have to see of I can bed it back a bit, tried tonight without much luck...

I had the same issue and was ready to take a file to the cups that were rubbing but decided to put a 1mm wide shim on the brake side of the axle instead and re centered the brake caliper and that worked just fine. I have extra shims laying around from RC car projects.

Investigator
    May 2008

I am 6' even with a 33" stand over height with no shoes on and the 20" Lurch fits me perfect. I prefer a little lower seat and higher bar compared to cranking the seat way up in the clouds and bending down so far to the bars. I almost bought the 18" because I ride an 18" Motobecane Fantom Elite DS and love it. However I went with the 20" Lurch and have NO regrets at all, plenty of wiggle room when standing flat footed over the top tube. But fit is such a personal thing that no one can tell you what will work for you. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    had you just put lighter tubes in you woulda saved about the same weight and much less time/cost/effort. and less mess if you have to deal with a sidewall tear or tire swap.

rog
    Who makes lighter tubes? Running Surly Nate's.

mtbr member
    Q-Tubes Super Light 2.4"-2.7" or Kenda Superlight 2.4"-2.7" @256g
    Schwalbe SV13F @185g
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
    Who makes lighter tubes? Running Surly Nate's.
    qbp q-lite 26 x 2.4-2.75=250 grams each.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    standover isn't nearly as important as tt length/reach. buying a bike that's too small just so that your boys aren't tickling/straddling the tt is a terrible way to make a bike work. jacking a seat way up and back and/or throwing a longer stem on the bike to try to get a better fit is no good, more often than not.

rog

mtbr member
    standover isn't nearly as important as tt length/reach. buying a bike that's too small just so that your boys aren't tickling/straddling the tt is a terrible way to make a bike work. jacking a seat way up and back and/or throwing a longer stem on the bike to try to get a better fit is no good, more often than not.

rog
    This. +1

mtbr member
    I don't really care for the way the Qtubes ride, not very supple and leave a gap in tube/tire interface around the valve stem. Also very prone to pinch flats at lower pressure, at least in my experience - I know some people who love them and never have issues. ymmv.

I set up ghetto tubeless yesterday. I got a little carried away with the foam center/bead lock and had a bear of a time getting the tires on, but damn, those beads are never going to burp. They sealed up without sealant and just soapy water. Added 5 oz stans per wheel, and they haven't lost a lb of pressure since yesterday. I was not going to go ghetto, but I could not get gorilla tape or even tyvek tape to stick to the rim even after cleaning with MEK. Ghetto seemed the only option.

Investigator
    May 2008
    This. +1
    This, +2

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    First pictures of a Lurch in the snow!!!

The Lurch Lounge-ottawa-20140907-00202.jpg

And a Boris X5, for good measure...

The Lurch Lounge-ottawa-20140907-00205.jpg

Thank you to Bell Arena for supplying the ice scrapings!

mtbr member
    First pictures of a Lurch in the snow!!! And a Boris X5, for good measure...

Thank you to Bell Arena for supplying the ice scrapings!
    Exciting, This is the first (and official) incident of a Lurch in snow. Congrats!

A bit jelly too, I must admit.

cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got my 20" Lurch on Friday. Some scratches on the head tube (biggest scratches), some on driveline chain stay. Had a bent spoke in the front wheel from the crank hitting it. Will be emailing the pics to BD.

Just rode the bike around the street briefly. I like it so far. Looking forward to getting a little bit of time on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1st ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lurch Lounge-20140907_150357.jpg  

Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Im pretty excited to be receiving my Lurch on Wednesday! Looks like a lot of fun! Im 6'4" and got the 22" frame for anyone wondering.
    2006 Rush Hour SS
    2013 Speed Concept 7.0
    2015 FM190 Fatty
    2015 Emonda SL
    2016 Macho King

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cost of tubeless was some tape I had, 7$ of weather stripping and 12$ of Stans. Pretty sure two new tubes would be similar expense. Hopefully the benefit is less likely flats vs ww tubes. I have been running tubeless in all my mountain bikes and have only flatted once in a few years because the Stans had dried up and I did not add new. I do agree that some q-tubes SL would yield a similar weight result but at a lower durability most likely.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Cost of tubeless was some tape I had, 7$ of weather stripping and 12$ of Stans. Pretty sure two new tubes would be similar expense. Hopefully the benefit is less likely flats vs ww tubes. I have been running tubeless in all my mountain bikes and have only flatted once in a few years because the Stans had dried up and I did not add new. I do agree that some q-tubes SL would yield a similar weight result but at a lower durability most likely.
    Yes, but let's not forget about the time/frustration spent setting up/seating and mess if you do get a flat. Time is money, IMO, and changing a tube if you flat is wicked easy, quick, and clean. And you can patch them to avoid buying more tubes.

rog

NeedGod.com
    Yes, but let's not forget about the time/frustration spent setting up/seating and mess if you do get a flat. Time is money, IMO, and changing a tube if you flat is wicked easy, quick, and clean. And you can patch them to avoid buying more tubes.

rog
    If time is money, I would gladly spend $100 and/or 8 hours of my day if it meant a good tubeless setup. Frustration in the garage is way, way better than frustration with a flat out on the trail as my precious riding time is slipping away. Once you setup tubeless a few times, it becomes pretty easy. It takes me about 15 minutes per tire.
    Nathan

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast