...big and slow

Lovin' the Fat Bike Hate...

This morning I set out on a little adventure to do some prep work (dry-run, taking pics and videos for a short promo movie) for a annual fun group ride @ work. I took my favorite bike (Beargrease) loaded up with some light duty bike packing gear and hit a paved bike path in town. Had a great time just poking along the river, stopping to take pics of things, etc...

Now, I'm not a particularly skilled rider but I've always wanted to tackle climbing stairs. At one place along the trails we're planning to ride there is a memorial to War Vets with a bunch of stairs that I've thought before would be perfect to practice on. Not too steep, just about right in my mind. Since I was by myself and had no time limits today, I decided to take a few whacks at it and on the 3rd try I clear the entire obstacle and start riding back down the stairs.

As I'm nearing the bottom, a couple of guys in spandex riding by on their road bikes on the main trail mutter something to the effect of "...there's another one of those Fat Bikes....ridiculous..."

I've been riding Fat for about 6 years now and I'm still amazed at how many people still don't understand why someone would want to ride a Fat Bike. I want to because I want to. Seems pretty simple to me.

Here's to being misunderstood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chromey

All fat, all the time.
    Not often, but there always has to be that one guy.....
    I just keep riding and ignore.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Those Road people don't understand mountain bikes they can't even begin to comprehend fat bikes.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It's a compliment...like saying something is "sick". For example "did you see that gnarly old dude on that sick fat bike rail those stairs, that was ridiculous". Those roadies are just really hip.

mtbr member
    Lot of that around here too. I call them "Cyclists" has to be a capital letter to match the beginning of the other "C" word. It interchanges equally!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You can always tell who on this forum only mountain rides in the "off-season".

mtbr member
    I only have one bike, and it's my Salsa Beargrease. I can count the number of times on one hand that I haven't gotten a "those are pretty big tires" or "ain't that heavy?" comment during a ride, or just the tsk tsk shaking of the head. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of brainwashed sheeple who scornfully dismiss fat bikes have spent precious little seat time on them...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i get that a lot here in san diego.. 5 years owning the fatty and i still get the regular "why did you bring a tank to the trails?", "that looks like a workout".. on one thread i started a couple of years back, i just wanted to connect with some fatbikes here but instead was told you don't need fatbikes here in socal and questioned why i even ride them here.. just ride on op.. getting my tri spoke nextie rim in a few days in yellow.. wonder how much hate and maybe some love i'm going to get around here..

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    It's a compliment...like saying something is "sick". For example "did you see that gnarly old dude on that sick fat bike rail those stairs, that was ridiculous". Those roadies are just really hip.
    Hahaha! Emphasis on the Old! It doesn't bother me when people say things like that. As others have said, I just ignore and ride on. I did see 2 other Fat Bikes on the same ride this morning. One was a Full Electric type bike (Condor?), with fenders and such. I was just poking along and heard that unmistakeable sound of knobby fat tires on the pavement come up behind me. Had a nice short chat with the fellow as he continued on while I stopped to take some pictures. A bit later crossed paths with a group that had a gal on another one that had some sort of assisted hub stuffed into the rear wheel. Filled up probably 3/4ths of the rear wheel. Anyway we exchanged compliments on each other's choice of ride. I can only imagine what kind of hate those roadies spit out about an Electric Fat Bike.
    Chromey

Human Test Subject
    This doesn't happen in Minneapolis. Everyone has a fat bike so they can get around for 5 months of the year.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    You can always tell who on this forum only mountain rides in the "off-season".
    What is this "off season" you speak of?

mtbr member
    I ride at a local state park that has a lot of road riders at it. It is a good place to put in miles when the trails are wet. Road riders never wave back when I pass them on a fat bike. It's nice to take their KOMs away on a fat bike

mtbr member
    The problem starts and ends with spandex.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Pshhh, roadies? These guys have no say in any MTB applications. Them and their tiny, skinny tires...

Whenever I take my fattie to do MTBing, I get death stares from other MTBers when I pull into the parking lot with my fattie on the car roof... why? No idea. F*** them haters
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I ride at a local state park that has a lot of road riders at it. It is a good place to put in miles when the trails are wet. Road riders never wave back when I pass them on a fat bike. It's nice to take their KOMs away on a fat bike
    These comments always make me scratch my head. There's not a segment around me on pavement that I could KOM on aa fat bike, and anyone who could would be super human.

There's too much hate here going both directions. Roadies can be a stuffy bunch but I put in plenty of miles on pavement myself and don't exactly appreciate references to the 'C' word above.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm fulltime on fatbikes running 100mm rims and 4.8" tires in an area with very few fatbikers and the few mtbrs who have them use them only in winter. So I do stand out.

Tons of stares and questions by non-mtbr people even taking pics of my bike and squeezing the tires.

My area does have its share of snobby enduroed mtbrs though who do look down upon fatbikes but who the f cares about them anyway?

Roadies in spandex judging me for what I ride? Those guys don't even exist in my mind.

turtles make me hot
    Damn... I'm the complete opposite. I don't understand why anyone would want to ride any tire under 3" wide.
    Don't even get me started on roadies.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    you know what they say about a guy with big tires 😜

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    These comments always make me scratch my head. There's not a segment around me on pavement that I could KOM on aa fat bike, and anyone who could would be super human.

There's too much hate here going both directions. Roadies can be a stuffy bunch but I put in plenty of miles on pavement myself and don't exactly appreciate references to the 'C' word above.
    No hating from me. I'm not critical of anything that anyone else rides. Skinny, fat, full-suspension, or rigid, $5 beater, Huffy, Next, $10k carbon whatever... Makes no difference to me. Just get out and ride when you can on what you have.

I grew up poor in a rural part of Kansas. Didn't even have enough money to buy a bike of any kind until I was 30 years old. By God's grace, and through a lot of hard work, things are different for me now. So when I feel the Fat Hate, I just let the naysayers and snobs be who they are.

What I think is funny though is that from my experience, out of all the sub-cultures in the biking community the one that appears to be the polar opposite of fatness is the most outspoken against Fat Bikes in general.

Chromey

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    you know what they say about a guy with big tires 😜
    He runs bigger rims?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Those Road people don't understand mountain bikes they can't even begin to comprehend fat bikes.
    So true.

There's some truth to the "bike tribes" theory although obviously some guys belong to more than one. I'll never get the appeal of road, track, and cross bikes in much the same way, I guess.

mtbr member

https://www.strava.com/activities/96...S&v=1493773226

Here is a recent one, it was against a cross bike. Also a 3rd place against 1500 riders who went on the smooth sidewalk vs the cobble stone road that the segments is. I rode the cobble stone with a 28 mph avg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Alright cool. Pretty much all of the road segments around me are longer than half a mile and have 33+ mph KOM's.

...big and slow

Here is a recent one, it was against a cross bike. Also a 3rd place against 1500 riders who went on the smooth sidewalk vs the cobble stone road that the segments is. I rode the cobble stone with a 28 mph avg.
    "No spandex on fatties" - Perfect!

Chromey

mtbr member
    That was not against rodies. I ride with plenty of them. The c word was meant for those that know who they are. When I'm riding in my vehicle I give the thumbs up to every bike I see. I'm only against a-holes. Take that however you see fit .

mtbr member
    Bought my first fat bike this past winter. First two days on dry trails, and I beat all my PR's. My buddy is buying my 29er. They can hate me all they want, so much better for me!

Not necessarily in the same context, but I was thinking of RATM on my ride today:

I'll rip the mic, rip the stage, rip the system
    I was born to Rage Against 'em!

mtbr member
    Nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    That was not against rodies. I ride with plenty of them. The c word was meant for those that know who they are. When I'm riding in my vehicle I give the thumbs up to every bike I see. I'm only against a-holes. Take that however you see fit .

Right on. I get that. It only takes a few to give them all a bad name.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    This doesn't happen in Minneapolis. Everyone has a fat bike so they can get around for 5 months of the year.
    +

Perfect !!
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    Pshhh, roadies? These guys have no say in any MTB applications. Them and their tiny, skinny tires...

Whenever I take my fattie to do MTBing, I get death stares from other MTBers when I pull into the parking lot with my fattie on the car roof... why? No idea. F*** them haters
    No worries,, all you peeps that have fat bikes (at least that I ever heard about or read of) love them and describe them as F U N.

These other vocal bozos just don't know enough to mind their own business. First of all, how can they be having fun or an enjoyable time if constantly bitching about others ? SEE -- Who won that round ?

I ride with some 29er guys. Two are alum h/t and one is the pugsly fat, Mine's a steel 27.5 plus. We all dance with one we brung and are happily pushing the pedals.
    A sturdy fat ought to make a strong rider and I'll bet the little whippets on 16 # bikes couldn't hang with any of ya'll for 3 miles. They know it and that's probably why they can't contain themselves.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    Right on. I get that. It only takes a few to give them all a bad name.
    Talk gets fast and loose sometimes. I took the ref as the vocal naysayers that talk poop no matter what they are riding or wearing.

Was on a ride with friends Saturday and some other riders coming up the trail chatted for a bit. One asked me if my tires were fast. I don't remember what I said but probably " fast enough for me" . Anyways, later on I thought about it and wondered if the question was posed as a lead in to a debate on what bikes are better, tire sizes ... all that b.s.
    Kind of glad I didn't take the bait if that's where it was headed.

Maybe the simplest answer is best .... Everything I read says 27.5 plus are very close to the od of 29. If I roll my tire 4 revolutions and he does the same, Which one is better ?

lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What we should be saying to the fatbike haters:

"Hey, what can I say? I ride in places, seasons, and conditions where size matters."

Let them contemplate that they're all sitting at home Grinch-like with their inadequate bikes when we're out having fun.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What's been fun lately, my plus bike is on 3.0 tires. People think it's a fat bike. I chuckle and say "Nope, this is just a plus bike. My fat bike tires are close to 2" fatter"

Get the deer in headlights look lol. Especially when they don't realize who I am (different helmet, glasses, bike from last year). I take my glasses and helmet off for the people I recognize. Then it's "oh ya, your that guy riding that monster sized fat bike we saw out here last fall".

4.7s on a XL Mukluk with a 275lb rider is hard to forget lmao.

Fat bikes are pretty accepted here but they just make sense around here. I get the big, heavy, blah blah questions but never anything derogatory even from roadies beyond "hey, nice fat bike! How do you like it?"

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Around here it tends to be more curiosity than anything else. Regular MTB riders will pick it up and comment on the weight, but all want to take it for a spin.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    What's been fun lately, my plus bike is on 3.0 tires. People think it's a fat bike.
    Had that happen a few times too.
    Are these plus sizes referred to as 'baby fat' ? I've seen or heard the term, seems to fit.

Whenever I see a bike that's a bit different, I'm genuinely interested in it but not in the sense of making fun of it or the rider or being overly critical. My assumption would be they bought it or ride it because they like it.
    When I see different cars or motorcycles, it's the same curiosity.

It's baffling to me why anyone would talk crap in that setting unless advertising they are an ass and want to start up a fuss.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been 100% fattie for the past three years and loved every minute of it... even when getting stitches or x-rays in the ER from an over-the-bars episode. My wife and I started saying "if ya ain't bleedin', ya ain't ridin" years ago as a joke. Though at 49... I'm getting tired of bleedin. LOL!

Anyways... I do get the occasional look of disgust from a roadie or MTB'er riding skinnier tires. I don't get it. I commute to work on my fattie fairly often and honestly, it scares the H3LL out of me! I'd take the dangers of a trail get-off ANY day over the terror of mixing it up with a bunch of people driving 4,000# vehicles while having their faces buried in their smart phones. So if there's ANY form of biking that's nuts around my city of 100K, it's the form where you never leave the road. We do have bike paths and lanes, but there's still far too many miles where I'm puckered-up, worrying about being rear-ended by a distracted driver.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    ...I commute to work on my fattie fairly often and honestly, it scares the H3LL out of me! I'd take the dangers of a trail get-off ANY day over the terror of mixing it up with a bunch of people driving 4,000# vehicles while having their faces buried in their smart phones. So if there's ANY form of biking that's nuts around my city of 100K, it's the form where you never leave the road. We do have bike paths and lanes, but there's still far too many miles where I'm puckered-up, worrying about being rear-ended by a distracted driver.
    ^^^THIS may be why roadies I've seen are not friendly. They are dying to get in a good ride, but they face a constant gauntlet. If they live in-town, it's a good 10 miles of riding in traffic to escape. And even out there, there are certain roads that just suck for bicycling. If you don't know any of the good routes, then you are stuck in the suck zone. I've tried it. Getting off the road is such a great feeling.

I have not gotten any negative feedback on my fatty. Most people think it's pretty cool, and the people who have tried it couldn't help but smile. Fatties are pretty popular here, at least in the Winter. People are still riding them in this season of rain as well.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    ^^^THIS may be why roadies I've seen are not friendly. They are dying to get in a good ride, but they face a constant gauntlet. If they live in-town, it's a good 10 miles of riding in traffic to escape. And even out there, there are certain roads that just suck for bicycling. If you don't know any of the good routes, then you are stuck in the suck zone. I've tried it. Getting off the road is such a great feeling.

I have not gotten any negative feedback on my fatty. Most people think it's pretty cool, and the people who have tried it couldn't help but smile. Fatties are pretty popular here, at least in the Winter. People are still riding them in this season of rain as well.

-F
    Makes sense, but I've always been of the mind that riders should stick together. But people are just so clan-oriented. It's the same in the motorcycle world to a certain extent. RARE is the Harley rider who will wave at me on my Yamaha FJR1300 sport tourer. Most of the Gold Wingers, Beemer riders, and sport bike kids will wave... but many the Harley guys just have an attitude that if you don't ride a Harley, you aren't a rider worth acknowledging. Which is QUITE ironic considering that many of us guys on sport tourers, Wings, and BMWs put VASTLY more miles on our bikes as we see the country than many of the cruiser guys do riding from bar to bar.

Anyways... there's are exceptions to every stereotype and rule, but it irritates me that some groups are so anti-social outside of their own little circles. ALL of us two-wheeled riders out there dodging unaware people in four-wheeled "cages" should support each other, and look out for each other. We're all just one text message away from becoming a car's hood ornament.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Skinny tires-narrow mind?
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Skinny tires-narrow mind?

I dunno... but it does seem that there's more fatty-hate from skinny tire riders, than there is skinny-hate from fatty riders. I'll add that I have NO interest any more in riding anything skinnier than a plus size tire and on the occasion that I have, I feel like I'm riding a little kids' bike or something. That's why I sold my last regular MTB (Gary Fisher Hi-Fi) a couple of years ago after I couldn't bring myself to get on it because I was so addicted to my first fat bike (a "lowly" SE F@E). But my lack of desire to climb on anything with skinny tires doesn't automatically make me look at those who do with disgust.

I do however get puzzled when they make comments to the effect of "I don't know how you can stand to ride around on a bike with those big, fat tires". The first time I ever saw a fat bike (a Pugsly, many years ago) I broke into an instant giant grin. And my first ride on my first fatty made that grin even wider. I don't know how you could take a spin on a fatty and not LOVE every second of it (unless maybe you were riding a 50# Walmart Mongoose or some other heavy beach bike).

mtbr member
    The first time I ever saw a fat bike (a Pugsly, many years ago) I broke into an instant giant grin. And my first ride on my first fatty made that grin even wider. I don't know how you could take a spin on a fatty and not LOVE every second of it
    Exactly my case! I was amazed by how cool they are, their applications, and abilities Like now, I love riding my fattie on normal MTB and did some snow/ice riding this past winter with it.

These skinny tire MTBers are just extremely narrow minded.
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

sluice box
    I mutter at people that that do not ride bikes as cool as mine. Lovin' the Fat Bike Hate...-trek-2100.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    I mutter at people that that do not ride bikes as cool as mine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek 2100.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	1136162
    Looks like a piece of Art and History rolled into one.
    Smithsonian Impressive !!

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    How do you know it's your fattie? Could be the fact that you drive a car and they drive trucks and think of you lesser of a man, coupled with having a fatty on the top.

It could be showing up blasting Cher (not to say that is the case) or Greatful Dead, and they don't like either.

Either way, I am not sure why its even a concern of yours what they're doing, or if they approve of your bike or not. Do your thing and ride. Just take note and out-ride them on the trails if you want to make your point. Actions speak louder than words and looks.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

nOOb
    May 2008
    Perhaps the roadies were bent out of shape because you were riding on the stairs of a war memorial, who knows. Anyway, you'll encounter people in life that are opposed to many things you'll do or wear or say, best to just ignore them and do your own thing.

Professional Crastinator
    Makes sense, but I've always been of the mind that riders should stick together. But people are just so clan-oriented. It's the same in the motorcycle world to a certain extent. RARE is the Harley rider who will wave at me on my Yamaha FJR1300 sport tourer. Most of the Gold Wingers, Beemer riders, and sport bike kids will wave... but many the Harley guys just have an attitude that if you don't ride a Harley, you aren't a rider worth acknowledging. Which is QUITE ironic considering that many of us guys on sport tourers, Wings, and BMWs put VASTLY more miles on our bikes as we see the country than many of the cruiser guys do riding from bar to bar.
    Around here, I get way more waves on my FJR from Harley riders than I do on my fatty from roadies.
    Lovin' the Fat Bike Hate...-2009fjr1300.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Once you go fat , you'll never go back. Ride my fatty year round, and the enduro and the 29er commuter/touring rig and the cross check. 2 wheels, all good. Ride what you brung. Try this, show up for a group ride for mt bikers. On a Karate Monkey with pink grip tape, bar ends, slick tires, fenders and sandals. Then out ride all but the racer boys. Then tell them you rode to work, rode to the ride and are riding home for just under 50 miles. All I know is every time I ride my fatty, its fun.

mtbr member
    This conversation reminds of the South Park episode where the Goth Kids say you have to dress and act like us or you'll get lumped in with those "conformists".
    Last edited by Jeff_G; 05-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I say ride whatever the hell you like.

On the other hand (and maybe this is just my unique worldview)... why are you riding on the steps of a war memorial? Sorry if that sounds judgmental, but it's just one of those things that I would never do, as I respect what that symbol means to a lot of folks. Just like I would never ride up the steps of a church, mosque, synagogue, or any other place of worship, or do freeride tricks in a cemetery.

But then again, those vets fought for the freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

M'eh, what do I know?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I like the fact that people out on the trail tend to hear those 4.8" tires rolling and generally get out of the way - no bell necessary. What's not to love?

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    I say ride whatever the hell you like.

On the other hand (and maybe this is just my unique worldview)... why are you riding on the steps of a war memorial? Sorry if that sounds judgmental, but it's just one of those things that I would never do, as I respect what that symbol means to a lot of folks. Just like I would never ride up the steps of a church, mosque, synagogue, or any other place of worship, or do freeride tricks in a cemetery.

But then again, those vets fought for the freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

M'eh, what do I know?

I suppose it is a possibility but really unlikely that those roadies were voicing their hate for fat because of where I was riding. To say this trail is a "War Memorial" was probably not a very clear statement on my part. The trail is composed of many walking/biking paths that are interconnected to different memorials for veterans of different wars and branches of service for the last 100 years or so. I was riding on stairs that weren't part of a specific memorial, but one of the paths to connect two paths together that pass by different memorials. I would agree that riding up and down stairs that were part of a memorial would be a no-no. Riding a bike up to the memorial is all good. In fact last year on Memorial Day Weekend, I rode my old Schwinn 10 speed to each memorial on this trail and took time to read all of the information at each one. Very humbling experience.
    Chromey

mtbr member
    WOW, I never hear any negative or mean comments on my fatty! I usually get the man that thing must be hard to pedal. Have seen several of the guys I have met on the trails get fatty's. I now ride with some of them. I don't get the whole disparaging others ride. I don't have time for it and I ride all the above. Have fat, cross, mtb, and road. Love em all. Just love the FAT better.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Just pulled out of a park trail, onto the grassy median strip on a side road. Roadie in full sponsor spandex going the other way takes one look at me on the fattie, with jeans and checkered Vans, and gives me and my bike a look like he just sucked a lemon.

On the flip side, another day me and my friend had the fats on the back of the van, driving on the way to a trail. Up ahead I see a group of sponsored spandex taking a break on the side of the road. They see some kind of bikes behind my van approaching from far off, but prob couldn't tell what kind. They smile and pose as I drive by. I lean far out of the drivers side just as I pass, and point at all of them and do my best Nicholas Cage crazy laugh, pointing at all their stupid looking asses. The smiles change to confused and dirty looks. My friend is rolling in his seat laughing. lol

nicblgif.gif gif by cagealot | Photobucket

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz66 View Post
    Just pulled out of a park trail, onto the grassy median strip on a side road. Roadie in full sponsor spandex going the other way takes one look at me on the fattie, with jeans and checkered Vans, and gives me and my bike a look like he just sucked a lemon.

On the flip side, another day me and my friend had the fats on the back of the van, driving on the way to a trail. Up ahead I see a group of sponsored spandex taking a break on the side of the road. They see some kind of bikes behind my van approaching from far off, but prob couldn't tell what kind. They smile and pose as I drive by. I lean far out of the drivers side just as I pass, and point at all of them and do my best Nicholas Cage crazy laugh, pointing at all their stupid looking asses. The smiles change to confused and dirty looks. My friend is rolling in his seat laughing. lol

nicblgif.gif gif by cagealot | Photobucket
    But did you have a beard?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    No, just shaved it.
    But I do have 70's longish hair still, and flashed him the peace sign.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Doesn't seem to be much fat hate in MN. i think I've seen at least one other person on a fattie everytime I go ride. Guess everyone is used to them so they don't feel the need to hate.
    The Farley ex has been getting quite a bit of attention though. The fs fatties are pretty rare still.

mtbr member
    I have a Trek Farley 9.6 and a Trek Hifi Deluxe. I have been riding them both but am realizing now that the Farley just brings more smiles to my face.

Last week I rode in a group ride of about 20 riders. They each saw me and thought "fat old guy on a fat bike, I better get in front of him" I dogged just about every one of them until I was 3 or 4 in the group. Fat used to mean slow and heavy but with the advent of lightweight frames and Tubeless technology fat can be fast. And the confidence inspiring traction is awesome.

Last night I rode with the same group in basically the same position and had a guy on a full squish behind me whom I offered to let pass. He declined and said he was enjoying following my line. I started out mtn biking in the 80s and all the bikes were fully rigid. You had to pick a good line to stay fast.

All the comments I hear are usually very positive and curious. I think fat may be more accepted in northern climes. In the winter while those roadies are sitting home or training indoors I am out riding and smiling.

OP, just keep smiling knowing that you are having more fun than those roadies.
    Last edited by likeaboss; 05-11-2017 at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I was wondering what kind of drivetrain you drive on your fatbike. I mean, to be able to keep 28 mph for a bit less than half a mile you must have been pedalling like crazy on the typical smallish chainring most manufacturers put on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hectorlandaeta View Post
    I was wondering what kind of drivetrain you drive on your fatbike. I mean, to be able to keep 28 mph for a bit less than half a mile you must have been pedalling like crazy on the typical smallish chainring most manufacturers put on them.
    34/11. Otherwise I spin out at 30mph. I use the same gearing on the trails here too since it's short punchy climbs, nothing sustained

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    34/11. Otherwise I spin out at 30mph. I use the same gearing on the trails here too since it's short punchy climbs, nothing sustained
    Right now I'm 36-11 and can keep the cadence for 32-35 for about the same distance as you did in that run. A short bit more, perhaps. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a couple of chainrings to updgrade them, the only 15% elipticals I found at that moment where from Russia, of all places. 28 for the 64 BCD and 38 for the 104. Haven't received them yet. Hope it speeds things up a bit at a lower rythm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My bike time is split about 50/50 between 23mm and 4.8" tires, but why this should concern anyone else is a total mystery.

The only thing that will get me going w.r.t. another cyclist is anti-social behavior that gives the rest of us a bad name. Roadies riding in packs obstructing auto traffic, urban bike salmon, that sort of thing.

MN/WI
    I have two fat bikes. And a single speed. And a road bike. And a tandem. What part of me should I hate?
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Tomorrow I will be riding around my town to promote bicycle lanes and paths. I will be riding my fat 2nd fat bike. Like Aaron Rogers says " Relax". We are are all bicyclers no matter what we ride. Why do we fight amongest ourselfs when we should be banning together to promote cycling no matter what you ride. What to go fast; ride a rode bike, want to ride trails ride a mtn bike or a fat bike. It really doesn't matter. Does anybody realize what a power bikers could be if all bikers banned together no matter what kind of bike you ride? Everybody just Relax!! This IS bike month, at least in Wisconsin. I suppose now I will get all kinds of crap, oh well I will be out riding, streets, trails whatever.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    I have two fat bikes. And a single speed. And a road bike. And a tandem. What part of me should I hate?
    theGliberal part. :P
    Hate the player, not the bike...
    if there is animosity from 'other riders' - as most have said here I think the best response is to smile and nod. .... and enjoy your ride.
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Moderator Moderator
    Don't take the bait...ride on and ignore.

PRETENDURO
    Itís awesome when ya best PRs of others riding ďnormalĒ bikes when youíre on your fatbike. Iíve been riding fatbikes since 2010 on every surface except for snow/ice, and it just works great! It led to singlespeed racing of a fatbike, which Iíve been doing for almost three years (won the local SS Cat1 championship overall in 2016).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So Saturday I showed up for a local shop ride on a 40-mile roundtrip gravel railtrail deal outside Philly. About 20 people, mostly on gravelgrinders and regular mountain bikes.

I brought the Fat Boy with 100 mm Clownshoes and a Bud up front and Knard out back. Got a number of strange looks and I think a few of those "you won't keep up" glances.

Ended up that me on the fat bike led pretty much the entire ride with several members of the group commenting how effortlessly it glided along over patches of deeper gravel and how the big wheels picked up decent speed and how it didn't seem like it rode heavy, etc, etc. One rider even asked if a fat bike was considered a mountain bike.

The funniest part was when a county employee taking pics of weekend trail usage on this popular trail wanted pictures of us, most of them were of me and the lone fatbike in the group. ☺

mtbr member
    I guess it's better than someone shouting "FAT BIKES ARE DEAD!"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Itís awesome when ya best PRs of others riding ďnormalĒ bikes when youíre on your fatbike. Iíve been riding fatbikes since 2010 on every surface except for snow/ice, and it just works great! It led to singlespeed racing of a fatbike, which Iíve been doing for almost three years (won the local SS Cat1 championship overall in 2016).
    Yeah, beating old and disabled people is awesome!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, beating old and disabled people is awesome!
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that at the Sea Otter fatbike category race this year I beat a ďkidĒ 17 years younger than me. Oh, yes, that was me in first place.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I experienced a little hate today on my fat bike. But I was the one with the hate.

I was riding home and was in a wide, long straight bike lane. Tires pumped in the double digits, was moving at a quick pace and was feeling good. I see a bike coming up behind me. (have a mirror)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm old and slow but I have some pride. So I pick it up a bit to at least be at a respectable pace when what I presumed was a roadie inevitably passed me.

Fricken guy sitting almost completely upright on a cruiser type bike with panniers passes me FAST. He says "weather's looking up, have a nice ride" like we're sitting in a coffee shop chatting. I'm sweating and panting.

Then I see the electric motor. He had a 100 yards on me in no time.

Then I experienced a moment of hate and anger.

Then I realized who gives a damn what he's riding, I'm good with it.

But there was a moment when I wasn't too proud of my reaction..........
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I own 2 road bikes with 25mm tires and I hope to own a fat bike someday. Not all road cyclists look down on fat bikes. I also have 29er and a 26er hardtail mountain bikes for rail trails, but I'd like a fat bike with air fork to try out single track and to ride in the snow during winter months.

This road cyclist thinks fat bikes are cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Most of the roadies I know also own fat bikes here in Chicago. It's what we do here in the winter. Also, lots of us MTB and race cross. Perhaps this fat/mtb/road tribalism is a regional thing?

mtbr member
    I used to have 3 bikes. A road bike, a hardtail mtb, and a fat bike. Have sold all 3 a couple of years ago... then recently, I wanted to get back into shape so I decided to get back into biking, but I need to buy only one.

Of the 3... I chose to get a fat bike. I like road bikes, they're fast, but then... I have no need for speed, when all I want is to have a nice relaxing ride. The mtb is out too.. its not that much fun regularly doing jumps or going through rough areas (although a fatty can do that as well)... when all I want (again) is to have fun and not compete.

I guess, Im saying, people ride bikes for different reasons. I guess those 'roadies' just dont get that people buy fatties for the fun of it, and the versatility. Not everyone is obsessed with speed as they are... probably.

cheers!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    Most of the roadies I know also own fat bikes here in Chicago. It's what we do here in the winter. Also, lots of us MTB and race cross. Perhaps this fat/mtb/road tribalism is a regional thing?
    I'm on the other side of the state and see the same thing often. Roadies having fat bikes for winter.

There are some older roadies that get all snobby when anything besides road is discussed at a meeting (ya I'm a member of that club too because friends are and riding with friends makes road riding so much less boring).

Literally had it happen at the last meeting. Was at the end, another member bought a fat bike. The president of the club owns the LBS he bought it from. And owner is a friend of mine. So natualy he pointed the guy my way so I could take him out on the fat bike especially off road. We started talking about it a little because fat bikes were brought up. AS SOON AS we started discussing trail riding (the guy was having problems navigating narrow spaces) other got pissy. They spoke up to end the meeting (which was basically over anyway) and left.

I just shook my head. They are wanting to increase memberships and diversity but then get upset when they get what they asked for because everything isn't only about road riding.

I have to say it's not totally a roadie thing though. Met mountain bikers that loose it if a trail isn't groomed XC smooth and requires skill to ride. And others that get offended by a road bike being in their presence. Which is funny because when I was riding my mountain bike everywhere the roadies often snubbed their noses. I get a road bike and suddenly totally friendly.

Personally im cool with anyone that rides a bike as long as they aren't being rude to me or giving cyclists a bad name.

One thing I've come to learn, roadies and mtbers alike. There is ALWAYS a bar involved with a group ride. Roadies it's actually a bar ever time. Spend more time of that day in a bar than riding. Mtbers is more often than not we have coolers in our vehicles with beer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just finished the "low tide ride and stride" race here in san diego last saturday, and as soon as I crossed the finish line, bunch of roadies who already finished the race and was waiting at the line asked me " so where do you hide the motor on that thing?". Told them "my legs are my motors". Can't blame them though. Saw a couple of motorized fatties. Beat them to the line though, was told i was the first fatty to cross the line.