mtbr member

Lordy Lordy, what have I done?! Signed up for Gravel Worlds on fattie:)

I wanted to do this race last year but didn't have a bike quite capable. Well, I guess that wasn't necessarily true, I had just bought my Pugs the month before. So it was either the fattie or the roadie(carbon fiber bone shaker, Mr Skittles). I wasn't in the shape to ride the fattie 150 miles in one day on gravel.
    Whelp, now I have 6 months to get ready. August 24, late summer in Nebraska. All gravel. Self supported. Unmarked course.
    Guess I better get crankin some serious mileage in the meantime, even with training, I don't expect to see anybody after mile 1 But that is okay, I'll be riding the Caddy.
    Excited and scared as ****. I think between running marathons this year and doing more long bike races, my body will refuse to turn 40 in December. Hey, go out in a blaze of glory, right!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Well, at least you will be close to home so you can call someone if you need to.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    40 is the new 30......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Good luck!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ohh! I'm off that weekend! The only problem I have with riding a fatbike in a gravel race is the possibility of flats. That being said... I'll probably be there! I'll be the guy on the old gray Pugs :-)

mtbr member
    WOOT! Another fattie rider! Sweet!

Craig, I am in better shape now than I ever was at 29, let alone even as a teenager! Former "Athena" here. Feelsgoodman

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I might be keeping you company because I signed up as well. I have never been to NE. My 2013 "racing" goal is to receive a DNF. The DNF is not allowed to be due to mechanical failure, but only to my body giving up. I want to find my breaking point.

I completed the Susitna 100 last year on the 1st try after riding in snow only once in my life. I can't imaging this gravel race being tougher physically or mentally than that. I have never ridden any bike more than 100 miles in one sitting...and don't plan to prior to race day. This should be interesting, entertaining or flat out stuipd. I'm excited!

BTW - I turn 40 this year.

mtbr member
    150 miles would kill me or I'd be going for sure. I'm hoping I don't puke by mile 25 for the Quarter Century ride coming up in June. Now if I get my cross bike and use it for the quarter century..I'd probably fly through the total 25 miles. 300 more dollars and it's mine. So much for a summer build of 29er tires/rims for my Muk unless I find more stuff to sell..LOL.

Glad others are going and you're going to have a blast.

mtbr member
    Bethany, you can't ride your new cross bike JK...if you wanna ride the CX on the 1/4 century ride, I'll chillax on my Casseroll. I'll ride whatever you want to ride. So no summer wheelset, huh? That's okay girl, new bikes are awesome! I plan on riding the fattie with drops and endos for the race(unless I find that Larrys roll better on gravel, then I'll switch them over). After my May 5th marathon, I can focus more evenly on bike & run. Get some miles in. Be confident I won't die

Redline, good luck! What bike are you riding? What state are you in? Nebraska at that time of year is hot & dry & windy. You will definately test your limits. But that is part of the fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm riding a Fatback and live in Northern VA (west of DC). My biggest decision is what tire to run. I was thinking of low resistance such as Black Floyd's.

I did my only gravel race looking like this (with short pavement transitions such as this one)...

Lordy Lordy, what have I done?! Signed up for Gravel Worlds on fattie:)-6dttuo.jpg

Lordy Lordy, what have I done?! Signed up for Gravel Worlds on fattie:)-ngy076.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeah, there will be some offroad/trail transitions. As far as tires, that can be a toss up. If the maintainer has been through recently, you'll have lots of loose pebbles of various sizes and it can be quite sketchy. But if it has been a few weeks or longer since regrading the road, it's darn near like concrete!
    I've never ridden on Floyds but I want some, mainly for all the paved city trails we have in Lincoln. I have BFLs and Endos. I am impressed with how well BFLs roll when at a higher psi but I can't corner on camber to save my life! So I am leaning towards the Endos so I don't off myself if a car is coming down the road and I scootch over. How are the Floyds on camber & pebbles? I think that might decide your tire combo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I usually run the Floyds at near max inflation to get low resistance. This makes them sketchy as hell at higher speed in the corners. If there is a puddle, you have near zero traction and the tires want to walk out from underneath you. Basically...dry and straight you can't beat a Floyd. Wet/damp and faster corners...better bring a different tire. I might bring both sets and make the tire call the night before the race.

Here is a fun video of the same race from the pic above (3 bikers).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...67631039924726

PRETENDURO
    AWESOMENESS shall ENSUE!!! You’ll kick ass!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Fat & Single
    Wow I did the conversion, 150miles = 241km !

That's a fair effort babytoes, good luck with the training and race

Just out of interest, how much elevation is in the ride ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    The course will NOT be marked. A cue sheet will be distributed prior to the event. All riders are required to have a cyclo computer that can track mileage - Yes, we will verify that you completed the entire distance at the end. Riders (yes, you!) will be required to purchase a Nebraska Powerball Lottery ticket at each "checkpoint" as proof of reaching the checkpoint. The checkpoints will be small town gas station convenience stores. If you need fluids and sustenance, buy it there! The distance will be roughly 150 miles with around 8,000 to 11,000 feet of vertical elevation gain. This is a free event (except the four to five lottery tickets you gotta buy for two bucks). The Golden Rule applies to this event. If someone needs help, stop and help out.

Just googled it sound awesome.... like a mystery tour, that will be a massive feat on a fatbike!
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How did you do Nakedbabytoes?