Thread: Lord Dwarf

mtbr member

Lord Dwarf

Hi guys

I would like to show you my build of my SALSA BLACKBOROW 2016er frameset, in famous green color! There are already some existing here in this forum, but I cannot resist to show it to you! I hope you don’t mind, but I think this is one reason for a forum, not?

How does it come: So, in former years I was riding bikes a lot, mostly road bike, also races, marathons and one of the last competitions the Ironman Hawaii. After accomplishing this long dreamed event, to participate once at the IM Hawaii, I lost completely the motivation to train. I did not see any reason to continue. Additionally there were knee problems. The lack of motivation and the problems with knees lead to the decision to sell all of my bicycles. Till now I did never miss the bikes.

But the sport itself never let me alone. Only for fun and not for real training and progress reasons. Thanks to my wife I came to unicycling, 21 month ago... She showed me how to and after a hard beginning I have now real fun with that. And I can tell you one thing: Would I have known how hard you can train on a unicycle I would have begun much earlier. This is real hard work, and it can be an absolute exhausting workout .

So it came that with unicycling I got in touch with FATBIKE’s. Since I saw the first time these nice fat tyres I fell mad about these…
    I build up some fat unicycles for me and my lovely wife. And as I said, the first time I felt I want to have a bicycle again! But not for real training reasons, just for fun, riding once or twice a week (maybe three times), and be happy to see a nice special bike.
    This led to the careful consideration of creating an investment plan to get approval of my wife. But in the end it was not necessary. She felt that I was mad about that and that I was a pain in the neck! This and the fact that the desired frameset comes in nice green color, she said OK to the project.

The frameset is already in my hands. Most of the parts are on the way to me or are purchased and should be soon on their way to me.

The build itself is not focused on weight. It is much more on optical and durability. And optical means for me nice, what I like. Of course others might not see it the same way.

The pictures will follow…

Ah, I forgot to excuse my English, it is obviously not my mother language…

mtbr member
    And here it is! With the rims I like the most, because they look fine to me...

Lord Dwarf-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looks like a great start. There's a Salsa demo this weekend, tempted to go try a Blackborow. For my wallets sake, I should just stay home.

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looking good. Can't wait to see it complete! Congrats

mtbr member
    Actually I do not have much to show of my parts, as a lot is on the way. But since my Uni-Fatties brought me to Fatbike, I think they have the right to be showed here

And these pics can be seen as a gap filler till I have news

My first project was a 4.8er for myself and a 3.8er for my wife. She is a little smaller, therefore would it be pain to ride such a wide wheel with such sort legs

Lord Dwarf-image1.jpgLord Dwarf-image2.jpg

Second project, the same but both in 4.0. And these ones are heavy, mainly because of the rim...

Lord Dwarf-image3.jpgLord Dwarf-image4.jpg

Third and last one till now, is a 29+. By the way, same wheel combo will be done for my Lord Dwarf as a summer-wheel-set

Lord Dwarf-image5.jpgLord Dwarf-image6.jpg

All of them are made of stainless steel, therefore on the heavy side compared to industrial made munis. But they are homemade, and that makes it special, for me and my wife

turtles make me hot
    Congrats on joining us on the dark side. I have a 9Zero7 with Clownshoes and 4.8" tires and can't imagine a fat bike with smaller tires being as much fun.
    I love the green Blackborrow. Spectacular looking frame.
    So... What are you doing for hubs and cranks?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The cranks are the Surly Ice Cream Truck 2x10. They are on order and hope to get them soon. For the hubs I had in mind to get the DT Swiss BigRide. But as they are not available I went with the Hope Fatsno 15x150 / 12x197. There I ordered Fatsno 2, but I will get Fatsno 4. I did not even know that there are 4's

Hope to have the spokes and the hubs in my hands beginning of next week...

mtbr member
    Tyres and tubes are here:

Lord Dwarf-img_2400.jpg
    Surly Lou and Bud in 4.8 of course. They will run with tubes.

And here is the brake, XT M8000 with discs RT76 in 180 up front and 160 in the rear.

Lord Dwarf-img_2397.jpgLord Dwarf-img_2398.jpg

The SLX would have been cheaper, but it was not black Therefore I had to choose these M8000

The brakes must be Shimanos. As I think these are the best most reliable choice. As I want to have a carefree bike, that is the only choice. Although the Hope X2 brakes would have been very, very cool, but also much more expensive...
    But I think I did nothing wrong with my choice...

beer thief
    Great project! I think you need to include some action shots or video of you and your wife on those unicycles. Welcome to the forum

turtles make me hot
    Is this bike going to see snow? If it is NOT, might I suggest saving Lou for snow and running two Buds or a Bud on the front and a 4.8 Knard on the rear.
    I love Lou in snow only. Knard on everything else.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I hope the bike will see snow! But this depends on weather... And for summer or dry conditions there will be a build of 29+ wheel set

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice munis

Where do you live? Are you on the unicycle forum?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Nice munis

Where do you live? Are you on the unicycle forum?
    Thanks a lot

We live in Switzerland, and yes I am on the unicycle forum...

mtbr member
    Last night I was able to begin the build of the wheels. Finally I got my very special and aero-space-technology adapter for my homemade very-Swisswatch-precise truing stand

The rear wheel is done, the front is just started.

Here are some pics:
    Sorry for the bad quality, the light was not very well so I had to "optimize" the pictures a bit... As soon as possible I will show daylight pics...

Lord Dwarf-clownshoe-fatsno-4-build-i.jpgLord Dwarf-clownshoe-fatsno-4-build-iii.jpgLord Dwarf-clownshoe-fatsno-4-build-ii.jpgLord Dwarf-clownshoe-fatsno-4-build-iv.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Nice. What kind of nipples are those? Why'd you use washers? Just curious. I've built a few fat wheels and never felt the need.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I usually don't like unicycles but those look awesome! I 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerteeuwen View Post
    I usually don't like unicycles but those look awesome! I 0
    Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Nice. What kind of nipples are those? Why'd you use washers? Just curious. I've built a few fat wheels and never felt the need.
    These are Sapim Polyax hexagonal in green. I thought, it might be better in case of re-truing. The sharp edges of the spoke holes in the rim might harm a bit the nipples. I know, many wheel builder say it is not necessary. And I think too, but as these washers are not expensive and do not add real weight, I decided to put them.
    But I am not sure if the spokes are a bit too short now. Time will show... Also not sure if I will add these washers with my planed 29+ wheel set. But spokes and nipples will be exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great project, RubberduckXi, thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to the updates but think I need to step away from my computer for a while --> my brain seems to think it just saw a unicycle with...bar ends!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Great project, RubberduckXi, thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to the updates but think I need to step away from my computer for a while --> my brain seems to think it just saw a unicycle with...bar ends!?!

Oh, hahaha...
    I am riding uni for about one and a half year now. When I began interesting in one wheel I saw handelbars on uni's too... And I thought as well, what the hell?!
    But as I becam better, and I mean a little bit compared to those who can really ride... , where can I put my hands? It is not absolute necessary such a handlebar, but it is nice. I think it is the same on MTB. Barends are not mandatori, but nice and comfortable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

So, they were bar ends!

Thanks, so my brain was right for once!

Looks like you have a lot of fun both design/building and riding those. Keep up the great work.

Paul

mtbr member
    Yesterday I was in the local bike shop. The owner was very kind and helped me installing the headset, shortening the fork tube and tightening the cassette.

Lord Dwarf-installing-headset-iv.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Most excellent.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Finally I got my crankset

Lord Dwarf-image.jpgLord Dwarf-image.jpg

turtles make me hot
    I have that crankset. Been great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    In the German forum they seem not be liked, expensive, heavy and for the price bad quality... That they are heavier than others, that is for me nothing new. But that they are not good quality, I heard never before. I read that the Surly cranks are bullet proof! And that was the point for me. Additionally with the mounting way, like Shimano, what seems for me a good and solid way. And most important, I like the look of them.
    So hopefully I will not be disapointed...

mtbr member
    My local dealer was so kind to install the crankset. I didn't want to install it on my own without the adequate tool. So that is why I was happy to get help.
    He gave me some additional tipps how to set up the shifting cables and how to shorten the brake cables... A famous and real kind guy! For me this is not usual, seen that I bought me whole assembly through the internet! But I said him why I did that, because I liked to do the research myself which parts exactly I need, and that I had fun to do that, I gained a lot of know-how, but that I was still in need to have him at my side to help. Specially when professional tools would be required, and I need his advise. And of course this advise and help can cost his time in terms of money. That is clear. And he said, to my surprise, that is of course no issue, this is absolutely no question that I will help and give advise. Just tell me when you come into my shop and we have an assembly-session

And here we go...:

Lord Dwarf-image.jpg

turtles make me hot
    I'll be joining in on the green fun. Been riding a black ano 907 for two years now and was just about to buy another one for the tapered headset and thru axles.
    I ended up getting a purple frame and fork cheap but I won't have purple. I'll be dropping it off at the powder coater tomorrow. Depending on the color chips, it'll be either a variation of Niner Green or Sour Apple, but green either way.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Yes, it seems that we both like the color green

mtbr member
    Today, I did the final routing of the cables, shortening the brake and the shifting cables. Adjusting the shifting, and here we are...
    There is still some fine tuning, and bottle holders, but for now it is like it is, and I like it a lot

Lord Dwarf-img_2445.jpg

Nice white spokes with little nice green nipples ...

Lord Dwarf-img_2451.jpg

In the garage with a lot of unicycles ...

Lord Dwarf-img_2447.jpg

And pictures at the warm winter sun ...

Lord Dwarf-img_2448.jpg

Lord Dwarf-img_2449.jpg

Lord Dwarf-img_2450.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Looks excellent.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    After a long time, I could finally do my first ride today. Lord Dwarf fulfill my expectations totally! Great ride so far. I like really the green color which is sparkling in the sun, the with spokes, and of corse the big tyres which absorb almost anything
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lord Dwarf-image.jpg  

Lord Dwarf-image.jpg  

Lord Dwarf-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    nice bike

mtbr member
    So after some first rides I can honestly say: My Lord Dwarf is great! He is as I as wished. The only thing I am not that happy about are the brakes. They are not as strong as I thought they should be. OK, I have only 180 mm in front and 160 mm in the back, but although, could be stronger.
    But I will let them be as they are...

Lord Dwarf-image7.jpegLord Dwarf-image5.jpgLord Dwarf-image9.jpg

Cool what can be done with a foto-improvement...
    Lord Dwarf-image11.jpgLord Dwarf-image12.jpg

turtles make me hot
    I originally assumed (wrongly) that my fat bike was going to be a crawler, so I first put 160 rotors at both ends. Didn't even slow me down. Then I tried 180 160, only slightly better.
    I have 203 front, 180 rear. Bike has 1 finger braking like all my bikes. All is good.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I originally assumed (wrongly) that my fat bike was going to be a crawler, so I first put 160 rotors at both ends. Didn't even slow me down. Then I tried 180 160, only slightly better.
    I have 203 front, 180 rear. Bike has 1 finger braking like all my bikes. All is good.
    180/160 works well for me, but I'm only 150#. My other bike is super XC, so 160/160 works great.

Fact of the matter is I go way harder on the downhill on my fat bike!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    180/160 works for me, too. My brakes are mechanical. I weigh about 160#.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    I am thinking of putting 203mm in front and in the back. But I am not sure wgere I read it, I have in mind the this frame takes 180mm in the rear only. But from what I see, there should be space enough by far...

You are wondndering why, I guess, I want to put 203 in the rear!?
    Well, just in case we would have once a fat tandem, then I could use this wheel set as well...