mtbr member
    Jan 2004

looking for wide 29er rims

No snow in southern VT has me riding my 29er Snow Cats and really enjoying them. Got me thinking that fat rims in summer could be fun. Who carries a wide 29er rim that will hold up to summer riding?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Maybe, just maybe, you should try the 29er forum.
    Recently Modifier was asking for wide 29er rims over there as well.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/50...ms-767234.html

Enjoy !

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How wide are you looking to go? The velocity p35 is pretty wide by summer standards, and can take hordes of abuse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snow Cats are 44mm

They are no longer the standard for FAT but work well this winter in NE. I am not abusive on rims so 35-40 could work easily in the summer. The Jones rim will be interesting to see. Any other options?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Not tough enough

Are the Snow Cats not durable enough for trail use? Are yours drilled? I'm also in VT and was bout to build up a set of wheels for studded tires using the Cats.

Will

mtbr member

Kris Holm

Try a Kris Holm 47mm. If you taco this rim, you must be doing it all wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for wide 29er rims-dsc00927.jpg  

looking for wide 29er rims-dsc00929.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Tripower, I bothered you with other questions about your rims, but I've got one more. Over on the KH website there are two 29er rims. One that is drilled out, and one that isn't. The undrilled rim is claimed at 795 grams. Do you happen to know the weight of the drilled rim?

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Tripower, I bothered you with other questions about your rims, but I've got one more. Over on the KH website there are two 29er rims. One that is drilled out, and one that isn't. The undrilled rim is claimed at 795 grams. Do you happen to know the weight of the drilled rim?
    According to the UK unicycle.com (they weigh all their stuff rather than just report manufacturers calmed weights, Roger is the man!) the 38mm XC (non-drilled) rim is 830g while the wider drilled "freeride" rim is 780g.

If you want strength and are scared of cut-outs (but not weight) you could try the new Nimbus Dominator2 rim. 42mm wide and a whopping 903g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snow Cats all year?

I have ridden mine for 6-7 years and like them. Having said that, I would not ride them in the non-snow months as they are non drilled but single walled. Never weighed them before the wheels were buildt so cannot compare to current offering. The KH look like a good deal at same price.