mtbr member
    Mar 2015

looking for comparison of pocketed studs

I want to see if anyone has any experience and therefor an opinion on the different pocket studs that are out there. i am looking to get a second set of studded tires and i am going with the 4" dillingers. i am currently on 5" dillingers and they work great except in really icy conditions. i actually need less float for the heavily trafficked trails around me.

Studs i am looking at.
    -china knock off studs (currently running these)
    -45nrth XL concave
    -Wazia triple whatever they call them.

Basically does one of these work better then the other or is it all marketing. i am leaning towards the wazia's cause they look like they would hold better.

not going to do any sort of screw in stud as i don't want to have to deal with any issues going tubeless.

thanks in advance.

Anchorage, AK
    Concave studs are pretty good compared to the pointy ones. I don't have any experience with the Wazia.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    not going to do any sort of screw in stud as i don't want to have to deal with any issues going tubeless.
    Using Surly Bud for 2 years and Maxxis Minion DHF 3.0 with BestGrip/GripStuds and zero problems with tubeless. Lots more grip than any of the "normal" bikestuds.

mtbr member
    I rode the Dillinger 4 studded last year for a few and they hooked up great on ice! I have one w the concave studs on front and the rear w the regular flat top cylindrical studs.

I could not tell the difference in traction, both ends were aewsome!
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

This place needs an enema
    I know this isn't the question you asked, but the answer for more traction on ice is to go back to ~2" tires. Which probably means 29" wheels to keep your geometry static. More PSI pushing every stud into the ice is the goal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Unfortunately that is the answer but the trails are a mix of packed snow and then ice in the sunny spots so I need a little bit of float. Plus the trail managers get really pissed if you don't run a fat tire and I need them for racing. I think I am leaning towards the wazia studs as they just look like they will grip better. More jagged with the three points. Thanks everyone for your input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

looking for comparison of pocketed studs

Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post

Studs i am looking at.
    -china knock off studs (currently running these)
    -45nrth XL concave
    -Wazia triple whatever they call them.

I used both the 45nrth and Terrene Wazia studs last year. Have not had a chance to try the 45nrth XL studs.

In my opinion the Terrene Wazia studs are much sharper and have better bite than the 45nrth studs. If you studded up a full Dillinger 4 with the Terrene studs there is pretty much no way you'll lose grip.

We had a pretty nasty ice season last year and even with running fewer studs on the Terrene Wazia tires (vs. Dillingers) I had zero issue with sliding out. The guys that designed the Dillinger tires / studs when they worked for QBP now make the Wazia tires and studs and view this as their next generation offering.

Pics for fun... Makes me excited for ice riding again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If grip is the goal I would go with the Grip Studs, they are simply more aggressive. Cost is a factor but that can be mitigated with large buys direct from China. Pricing last year could be well under 50 cents each. Grip can be tailored to a degree with insertion depth and they can be transferred from one tire to the next. They stick in the tire more reliably. I've played with adding pocket studs to D4's, that does improve them markedly but not with a racing intent, just to stay out of the ER!

mtbr member
    Are the 45N XL studs available yet?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Terrene studs are pretty inexpensive. Wondering if they would improve the center of my d5's since the current studs seat a bit too far into the pocket.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN