mtbr member
    May 2013

Looking at buying a Fat Bike

Since I want to do something in the winter besides snowmobiling to stay in shape, looking at buying a fat bike. I have narrowed down to 2 bikes a 2014 Pugsley or this bike Fatbikes.com 9:ZERO:7 190mm Susitna. I know it is a few more hunderd dollars but is it worth it. Looking for some honest feedback from you fat bike owners out there. This would be my first fat bike.
    Thanks Rich

Nuts
    Welcome neighbor, you really can't go wrong with either but if it was me and had the extra coin I would go 907. We have some good riding around us, you will have a blast.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    IMO if you weigh less than 180lbs you won't need the wide rims. Large marge lites are the way to go.
    Although, wide rims can't hurt.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    If you have the extra cash, the 9:Zero:7 is definitely worth it, imho. The Pugsley is certainly a fine bike, but the 9:Zero:7 will have slightly slacker geometry, making you feel more like you're in the bike, rather than on it, the Susitna has a slightly better groupo, wider rims and should be lighter. the 190mm rear hub will allow you to run the widest rubber currently available.

If you prefer to be more on top of the bike, go with the Pugsley, but keep in mind, there are a lot of parts that you'll want to upgrade immediately: The bars, grips, seat & seatpost are not the highest spec, which brings the cost difference a bit closer if you factor in the price of upgrades. The Surly Marge lights offer perhaps the best in all-season versatility, better for summer riding, but not as optimum for winter.

Some will say that the stiff, aluminum frame of the 9:Zero:7 delivers a harsher ride compared the more supple steel-framed Pugsley; others will say that the Pugsley flexes too much, delivering vague handling. Truth of the matter is that the fat tires negate much of these arguments.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the Susitna.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    For a winter bike, go with the 907, you'll be able to run 4.8s on 100mm rims. I've run into many situations where I didn't have enough float in snow on 4" tires which is why I sold my Mukluk to get a bike that can accept the fattest of tires.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went to my LBS today and asked about the 907 they tried earlier this fall to get some these bikes to sell and they will sell only the frame and then you pick what you want. Then they asked about getting a couple spec'd out like the one I have listed to make it easier for their customers to get one and then the communication between them stopped. So it looks like a pugsley for me. I borrowed a pugsley from the bike shop and took it for an hour and had a blast on it and had a white out during my ride how fitting.
    Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking at buying a Fat Bike-imag0392.jpg  

Nuts
    You will be very happy with a Pugs as well. Maybe see ya at the Underdown someday, great riding!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You will be very happy with a Pugs as well. Maybe see ya at the Underdown someday, great riding!!
    I rode the Underdown 2weeks ago for the thunder at the Underdown and Rhinelander won the cup back. What a tough trail to ride.
    Rich

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by richie64 View Post
    I rode the Underdown 2weeks ago for the thunder at the Underdown and Rhinelander won the cup back. What a tough trail to ride.
    Rich
    Next year it will be back where it belongs, and the smack talk starts
    (actually I think Brian H. already started the smack talk)
    Oh and try riding it in the winter, even more fun!!

bOb
    And I love beer!!

Quote Originally Posted by richie64 View Post
    I borrowed a pugsley from the bike shop and took it for an hour and had a blast on it and had a white out during my ride how fitting.
    The pugs are spec'd nice this year with the Nate's... the blue is shnazzy looking too. Get those tires down to 5psi in the winter and you will be A-O-K

Laramie, Wyoming
    I borrowed a pugsley from the bike shop and took it for an hour and had a blast on it and had a white out during my ride how fitting.
    Here's Your Sign

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my Blue pugsley home today pics to follow. It looks like I will have to put a shorter stem on and different grips. I am going to try and make the cock pit feel like my 29er trance.
    Looking at buying a Fat Bike-imag0385.jpg