mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Locking Down Your Fat Bike From Thieves.

Does anybody make a decent quality U-Lock wide enough and long enough for a fat bike to possibly go around the back wheel to the seat tube? Suppose I could use a cable or chain lock but I was curious.

Other than your car rack locks that may come with your rack, what else are you folks using to keep your fat bike secure and safe from getting stolen when it's on your car rack? How about when you're out and about on a ride and need to park it for whatever reason?

I'm going on a trip/drive in a week and taking my bike with me. I hate to even think about being an addition to stolen bike statistics. Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I use the Abus Bordo. Lost faith on chain locks a few months back, and U-locks were too cumbersome and too large for fatties.

mtbr member
    If I could add, something reasonably light as well?

I have a carbon fork and a two pound lock.....
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    If I could add, something reasonably light as well?

I have a carbon fork and a two pound lock.....
    I wonder if there will ever be a carbon U-lock? Maybe with some kind of core or braid. ...or maybe carbon cuts easily with a cable cutter?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I wonder if there will ever be a carbon U-lock? Maybe with some kind of core or braid. ...or maybe carbon cuts easily with a cable cutter?

-F
    I could see a carbon core with a thin stainless or hardened steel outer layer to prevent cutting.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

turtles make me hot
    Master Lock Street Cable Cuff, 6 Ft 8295DPS | Zoro.com

I use this on top of the lock on my Thule T2. I also try not to let the bike out of my sight or leave it too long. Once, I left two bikes on the T2 outside a Hilton Garden Inn in North Carolina. They were locked to the T2, the cuff cable and one of those square chains with an American pad lock. I asked the desk lady if I could park right in front in view of the desk and she approved.
    I didn't sleep so good that night but the bikes were there in the morning. I've never done that again. I always bring them inside.
    I like turtles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never ever lock your bike with it out of sight or in a public place that is not in your direct control.

The only bike I'd lock to a rack and leave out of sight is a beater/bar-bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'm (not-very)patiently waiting for my Lite Lok.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That Lite Loc is a great idea, joining two (maybe more?) together...just don't forget about locking your wheels too.

All fat, all the time.
    At least your carbon fork offsets the weight of a heavy lock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Never ever lock your bike with it out of sight or in a public place that is not in your direct control.

The only bike I'd lock to a rack and leave out of sight is a beater/bar-bike.
    That's not realistic for me. The way I use my bike it will be out of my site and sometimes in sketchy places. Middle of downtown for instance. I purposely put it right on the busiest street so it's visible.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Lol. And do you do the same for your automobile?

I use a big azz 5' long steel chain, threaded through an old inner tube to protect paint, with a padlock on the end. On the right rack it can lock up both wheels and the frame. At the bare minimum (around a tree, for instance), just the rear wheel and rear triangle.

Benefits: it steadies the steering inputs and offers better stability when attached to the front rack. Offers better traction on the rear rack.

If nothing else, you might have a riding buddy watch both bikes if you need to go to the bathroom or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
    Lol. And do you do the same for your automobile?

I use a big azz 5' long steel chain, threaded through an old inner tube to protect paint, with a padlock on the end. On the right rack it can lock up both wheels and the frame. At the bare minimum (around a tree, for instance), just the rear wheel and rear triangle.

Benefits: it steadies the steering inputs and offers better stability when attached to the front rack. Offers better traction on the rear rack.

If nothing else, you might have a riding buddy watch both bikes if you need to go to the bathroom or something.
    Is your bike insured?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Light freak
    I had my fat bike locked inside the trunk of my car with only the forks visible protruding thru from the trunk area. They stole the whole car, then ditched the car about 3 hours later. Only took the fat bike and a floor pump?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    I had my fat bike locked inside the trunk of my car with only the forks visible protruding thru from the trunk area. They stole the whole car, then ditched the car about 3 hours later. Only took the fat bike and a floor pump?

When I have to leave my bike in the car, I usually have it locked with two u-locks, one going through an anchor point in the car.

From now on, I'll just tie a string on my bike and leave it leaning against a tree. More fun that way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imprJ72M0S0

Or jury rig it with a stun gun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX9wHZSRTl0

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My fat bike actually fits in the back of my corolla with the seat post and front wheel off. Then the frame is u locked through the front seat hinge area. And I lock it up in my garage as well.

mtbr member
    Is your bike insured?
    Yes. Very well, in fact.

Leaving my bike within eyesight all day at work and while on errands is not practical for me, and it is not practical for someone like the OP who is travelling with a bike on the car rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

sluice box
    I just put Huffy stickers on my bikes.

Locking Down Your Fat Bike From Thieves.-huffy_racing_stu_thomsen_sample1_blowup.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    I don't use racks with my SUV, kept inside with backseat down, locked through the metal latch the seat locks into when up. then cover with a large black cloth that I bought in a fabric shop. Hard to see with the rear tinted windows covered in black.