Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lightest Fatbike

99K views 242 replies 95 participants last post by  mortenste 
#1 ·
Who thinks they've got the lightest Fatbike out there? How light can you get with these beasts and how I'd you get there? Just curious. Oh, and these should be real-world weights unlike those many manufacturers choose to list!

#119 ·
dead10 and I chatted about building a carbon frame, which should be a fun thing to do. But it's not like that'd be a production solution, and my current project isn't done yet, to say the least.

I can see the appeal of a light fattie for certain trails, but not everything. A buddy finished a Ti Mukluk and put light weight stuff on it in SS mode - I'd say less than 25 pounds, as a guess. The thing felt like a sprite, for a fat bike. And for the trail that that guy actually stewards, it's perfect.

#133 ·
Don't assume the Snowpack isn't "flexy". I put one on my bike and it seems to move about 3/4" fore and aft when stopping on the street. Didn't take long for me to notice that. A good friend who is a pretty skilled rider noticed the flex in just a few minutes without prompting.

I don't know how that compares to the original Salsa Enabler, but I never even thought about flex on the bike with the orginal fork.

No complaints about the handling with the fork, as torsional stiffness seems fine.

#134 ·
^ Fore/aft flex is one of those things which usually desn't matter (for non-suspension forks) but which some people find disconcerting, depending on what they have ridden before. For instance, raked steel road forks typically flex noticeably under heavy braking, whereas straight bladed carbon ones do not. Some people find the flex scary, but to others it's normal and proof the fork is working as intended.

When cornering, it's lateral stiffness that matters most, not torsional. Torsional stiffness is typically only important when you are trying to turn the bars in one direction and something is resisting, like say thick mud,

#152 ·
After just viewing the Fat Bike forum for some months (thanks for all the great info :) while building my bike I think this is the appropriate thread to show it in.

I became kind of light as I'm a bit of a WW and even more due to that I dissembled my 7kg SS to get part to this build.

11.47 kg/25.29 lbs at the first ride. There are a few things to evaluate after some riding, like adding a chain guide, wider bars, different gear ratio and doing something about the DH-tubs.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory

Text White Line Style Black

#154 ·
After just viewing the Fat Bike forum for some months (thanks for all the great info :) while building my bike I think this is the appropriate thread to show it in.

I became kind of light as I'm a bit of a WW and even more due to that I dissembled my 7kg SS to get part to this build.

11.47 kg/25.29 lbs at the first ride. There are a few things to evaluate after some riding, like adding a chain guide, wider bars, different gear ratio and doing something about the DH-tubs.

View attachment 748934

View attachment 748935

View attachment 748952
wow, sweet build!

#172 ·
wheels/tires would've taken it out of contention for absolute lightest, but if i'd weighed it it would probably have been up there.
used a profile 6 speed cassette hub to clear the gazzi. everything else is pretty obvious.

give me some 26x3.0 knards under 800 grams and in my opinion it'd be a racebike.

Attachments

#226 ·
20.86 lbs, is this the Worlds Lightest Fatbike?

Let me try this again...

Well fellers it took all winter but the last tasty bit just arrived and it's time to move onto the next project. It's 20.86 pounds with pedals, cage, and Garmin mount. Here's a list of what's not obvious in the picture. I can imagine (with a lot of effort) about 200 grams more coming off but don't believe with these tires that the bike ever breaks below 20 pounds. I don't tend to run the Husker DUs on snow as the knobbies are just too small, I really like the Surly Nates which add about ½ pound to the bike but the DUs are awesone on dirt.

It's great fun to hookup or pass the roadies on this thing. I like to joke that if you want to insult a roadie, pass them on a fatbike.

Hed rims
9zero7 hubs
Xtr carbon brakes
120 grams of Stans in "wet, sealed" tires (tires had been run for awhile, drained and then filled with 120g)
Custom Ti rear skewer from Boldprecision.com
Richey stem
Easton Carbon Bar
Mt zoom Seat collar
Removed BB inner shell
A few Ti bolts here and there
Foam grips
3T stylus seatpost​

Mark

Attachments

#228 ·
Nice build!
You might as well remove the cage, garmin mount, drain the stan's, then you'll have a sub 20 lb fatbike!
:)
Seriously though, nice build, like the cranks!

Let me try this again...

Well fellers it took all winter but the last tasty bit just arrived and it's time to move onto the next project. It's 20.86 pounds with pedals, cage, and Garmin mount. Here's a list of what's not obvious in the picture. I can imagine (with a lot of effort) about 200 grams more coming off but don't believe with these tires that the bike ever breaks below 20 pounds. I don't tend to run the Husker DUs on snow as the knobbies are just too small, I really like the Surly Nates which add about ½ pound to the bike but the DUs are awesone on dirt.

It's great fun to hookup or pass the roadies on this thing. I like to joke that if you want to insult a roadie, pass them on a fatbike.

Hed rims
9zero7 hubs
Xtr carbon brakes
120 grams of Stans in "wet, sealed" tires (tires had been run for awhile, drained and then filled with 120g)
Custom Ti rear skewer from Boldprecision.com
Richey stem
Easton Carbon Bar
Mt zoom Seat collar
Removed BB inner shell
A few Ti bolts here and there
Foam grips
3T stylus seatpost​

Mark

#2 ·
Yes please, let's see them!

Weight 907 SS 26.74lbs

Joke was I built this 907 up for a 24 hour race (BFs were temporary), but I ended up using my Pugsley in full dress mudguards etc, and I think it weighed over 40lbs in race mode.

#7 ·
Agreed on the momentum issue. My wife's Wednesday weighs 36 with the Lefty, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to drop that significantly. To put it into perspective, my Pugs weighs 20% of my body weight, hers is 30%. If I can get to 30 (without the lefty) on hers without going too crazy, I'll be happy.

#16 ·
Intense Mag30 rim = ~850grams
Nokian Gazzaloddi 26x2.6 = 1350grams
Nokian Gazzaloddi 26x3.0 = 1550grams

My Fatback has...

Fat Shebas = 850grams
Larry's = 1350grams?

Hilarious that my Fatback wheels weigh less than some wheels people used to DH on... I used to DH on... Can't believe that... when I get my new MTB built up, it's going to feel so fast :p

#20 ·
Not the lightest, but real world weights

I was paying attention to weight, but not a slave to it, when building this bike. (I have a single speed and road bike for that game.) Significant savings came from E*13 crank, Marge Lite wheels, and carbon bars. Potential weight savings could be achieved with lighter pedals, stem, grips, and brakes. Realistic future weight savings may come from carbon fork and Surly light tubes. I only went the route of a titanium frame, because I could afford it and I have to work with paint quality issues all day. Current Weight: about 32 lbs.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.