Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lightest Fatbike

99K views 242 replies 95 participants last post by  mortenste 
#1 ·
Who thinks they've got the lightest Fatbike out there? How light can you get with these beasts and how I'd you get there? Just curious. Oh, and these should be real-world weights unlike those many manufacturers choose to list!

#193 ·
Sorry I've been WAY to busy riding in AngelFire NM and Whistler BC to post anything but I'm back now so here it goes. 25lbs. 9oz. Mukluk. What can I say, I got some Sick Bikes. Na, Ne, Na, Ne Boo, Boo, Stick your head in DooDoo messofzero! What kind of name is that anyway? Your parents must have not liked you.

Attachments

#198 ·
Sub 22lbs yo....

21.52 lbs with XX1 but a RaceFace NextSL crankset, tubeless fluid in some Husker Du tires mounted on LaMere carbon 65mm rims....no pedals, no water bottle cage, not even any water bottle cage bolts.

Attachments

#199 ·
Dang, some really nice bikes! It makes my stock Mukluk of 35 something lbs seem a lot heavier than it feels, crazy the innovation, time, and money one can put into a fatty to make it so light, or any bike for that matter! That full carbon LaMere fatty is something else too!

#200 ·
Nice bikes in here for sure. I'm happy that my non-ti, non super blingy 907 comes in at 31lbs, 4 oz WITH a dropper post, Ergons, 2x10, CB Mallets, Bud up front and Nate in back (both tubeless). I have a split tube in the back that I plan to take out, and often run a carbon bar (playing with the Bend 2 and really like it) and egg beaters in the summer that get it down to 30.5 or thereabouts.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle

#225 ·
20.86 lbs, is this the Worlds Lightest Fatbike?

Well fellers it took all winter but the last tasty bit just arrived and it's time to move onto the next project. It's 20.86 pounds with pedals, cage, and Garmin mount. Here's a list of what's not obvious in the picture. I can imagine (with a lot of effort) about 200 grams more coming off but don't believe with these tires that the bike ever breaks below 20 pounds. I don't tend to run the Husker DUs on snow as the knobbies are just too small, I really like the Surly Nates which add about ½ pound to the bike but the DUs are awesone on dirt.

It's great fun to hookup or pass the roadies on this thing. I like to joke that if you want to insult a roadie, pass them on a fatbike.

Hed rims
9zero7 hubs
Xtr carbon brakes
120 grams of Stans in "wet, sealed" tires (tires had been run for awhile, drained and then filled with 120g)
Custom Ti rear skewer from Boldprecision.com
Richey stem
Easton Carbon Bar
Mt zoom Seat collar
Removed BB inner shell
A few Ti bolts here and there
Foam grips
3T stylus seatpost​

Mark

Attachments

#231 ·
Meh, all this weight weenie stuff was cool at one time, now if you seen one you've seen em all. Don't get me wrong they are cool bikes but with the all carbon frames weighing about the same and there is only a handful of fat specific light parts they all start to look the about the same.

#233 ·
Yeah, I'll never get the removing the pedals to weigh thing. It's not a complete bike without pedals, right? So weigh as a complete bike. Anyway... that thing looks nice. I hope it gets ridden and not just weighed like a pageant queen :D

#242 ·
With me being a newb in fatbiking I wonder how doest the lack of weight affect the ride in snow?
The only negative I can see is going to be tires and rims that aren't wide enough for conditions. If it's softer, you're going to have to go wider or suffer the frustration of narrower stuff. The "ride" is all about the tires, rims and pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.