Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    my geared 907 is 28 lbs with endo/larry and carbon forks, could get it lighter with h bars

will weigh it once its in summer dress mode

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    who's got a lightweight AL Mukluk? Just curious what that beast weighs. It looks like the light bikes here so far are all ti, and the AL bikes are mostly porky. Truth?
    Mukluk 2 (M) modified 31.5 Lbs

Clown Shoes
    DT Super Comp Spokes AL Nipples
    Q- Tubes
    Huskers
    Salasa hubs
    WTB Pure V Ti seat
    XT Cassette -1 (8spd)
    WB Fork
    Heavy Platform SPD's
    Magura MT8 brakes/SL Rotors
    Truvative World Cup Stem
    Super Light O2 in Tires
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest Fatbike-2012-02-11_14-40-24_570.jpg  

mtbr member

Steel frame 28 pounds with pedal, light and computer mount, and bar ends

Ox plat steel frame, sram xo 160/180 brakes, 3x9 gearing, carver carbon fork, salsa rear and paul front hubs, eggbeaters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest Fatbike-img_0826.jpg  

Lightest Fatbike-img_0827.jpg  

ONCE YOU RIDE FAT U WONT GO BACK!

Nuts
    30.5# without the frame bag and Welgo mag pedals and the Umas.
    Edit: re checked it and came out to 29.5# with the self drilled Rolling D's,HD's, and spd's in summer trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest Fatbike-fat-bag.jpg  

Last edited by bdundee; 02-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    2012 Fatback Aluminum with Carbon fork, UMA 90's and Ritchey WCS components, without pedals is 30lbs dead.

IMG_0880_edited-1

mtbr member
    I gotta say I'm somewhat perplexed by some of the weights here. Mine being one of the lightes frames (Muk 2) and pretty light stuff on it inluding the lightest brakes out there, they took off over a pound alone and seeing the sub thirty weights of some bikes with similar stuff makes no sense to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you switched to a Fatback Carbon Fork, UMAlll's and some lighter pedals you would drop at least two pounds. Weight adds up quick on a bike. You could save two to five ounces with different spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    I gotta say I'm somewhat perplexed by some of the weights here. Mine being one of the lightes frames (Muk 2) and pretty light stuff on it inluding the lightest brakes out there, they took off over a pound alone and seeing the sub thirty weights of some bikes with similar stuff makes no sense to me.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

mtbr member
    That's why I always photograph my bike on the scales...
    Last edited by Velobike; 02-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Nuts
    I've seen 100 grams in difference from one HD to another.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Danaco, The old Ti Fatback I have saves about 750 grams between our rims, pedals, hubs, fork, seat, and cassette. I have slightly heavier brakes, Hayse Stroker Grams, but I suspect a lighter crankset, Middleburn on a Race Face BB. I also have mostly ti bolts for the all of 10 grams that saves So 2 pounds difference all up between the two is not impossible to believe. In summer mode it loses a bunch by going to V!Z rims at under 600 gms each.

It has way drilled out Fat Shebas, Candy Ti pedals, Modified WTB hubs at about 500 gms for the pair, an old Fatback Ti fork, Flite TT seat, and an XTR cassette.
    Latitude 61

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That's why I always photograph my bike on the scales...
    my LBS has a cheap scale up on the ceiling so I can't get a pic. Ordered a Park scale today so I can get down to the bottom of this.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I hear ya. I wonder if some of these scales are off. Some bikes here are lighter than my rip9. And she's got some light parts. I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    I hear ya. I wonder if some of these scales are off. Some bikes here are lighter than my rip9. And she's got some light parts. I don't get it.
    Kinda my point . I'm not outright doubting folks here, not at all but some disparities are tough to swallow ! Let's face it, I'm just jealous

It's OK though, I'm used to riding a 32# full squish, it's my secret training weapon when it comes to racing, screw the training regime, rather have fun riding

is buachail foighneach me
    You would be under 30 lbs with the following 'upgrades':

Fatback Carbon fork
    Ti bolt seat post collar
    lighter seatpost
    non-goofy(Salsa's fault) rear brake routing
    lighter pedals
    lighter cassette
    70 or 80mm rims
    no bashring

Some of the folks with very light bikes are also running much lighter hubs than you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    You would be under 30 lbs with the following 'upgrades':

Fatback Carbon fork
    Ti bolt seat post collar
    lighter seatpost
    non-goofy(Salsa's fault) rear brake routing
    lighter pedals
    lighter cassette
    70 or 80mm rims
    no bashring

Some of the folks with very light bikes are also running much lighter hubs than you.
    You are correct on all points. The rear hub is a real brick for sure, the pedals are heavy for SPD's but I like platforms for snow riding. Surprisingly, the wheels with the cown shoes are very very close to the RD set up it came with. I really like the added float and grip I get stretching out the HD's, noticeably better than the 80's.

I am no stranger to making bikes light and know that every gram adds up. I'll save that for my racing stuff and I know that it makes a difference, ah' the mental advantage !! If I didn't do as well as I have over the years I'd say BS, but for now I'm stick'in with it.

With the fat bike, I took out over two pounds from stock and feel that is good enough for that bike and the fun I use it for. If I were racing it that would be a different story. Like xc racing, mental advantage(as we'll as real weight wise) works well for me. For fun, heavy bikes make and keep you strong.

And what's most important is that we ride

Cheers !

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The funny thing is ,todays fatbikes are probably around the same weight (or maybe lighter) then alot of the early MTbikes from the 80`s & early 90`s (yea yea I know I`am old) & a lot more fun to ride IMO.Plus I know when I get on my Lynskey ridgeline (23lbs ) its like WOW ,especialy going up hill.

Nuts
    Kinda my point . I'm not outright doubting folks here, not at all but some disparities are tough to swallow ! Let's face it, I'm just jealous
    I did some checking and I could only find the weight on a Muk 3 (I realized the 2 will be lighter) frame and a med. came in right around 4.5# and my 16" Fatback came in a 3.75# with cups installed.

Disclaimer: Don't quote me on the Fatback frame weight due to unverified scale.

Edit: Also I am not taking it back apart to check the weight again.
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-17-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    fine details like butted spokes or Ti bolts help, but really i think the wheels and tires are the biggest variance. My pugs 1x10 pugs build on the skinny was 28lb 13 oz when i first built it with crazy light endo/larry that weighed it at 2600g. than i switched to a big fat larry and a 27tpi nate for the rear and it was a gain of 680g more recently i moved to tubeless and swapped a carver fork dropping most of the weight back off. the carver fork didn't like my hope rotors, so i swapped my 160/140 for some 160/160 avid rotors for another 70g increase.

the devils in the details
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamard View Post
    ...the devils in the details
    That's the secret to a light build IMO.

There's no need to spend a lot of money on delicate parts made of Unobtainium when the use of a bit of Drillium or Hackoffium does the same job.

An example, most people don't have their seat post at full extension, and so they could cut off any excess. Your basic alloy post can end up the same weight as that fancy Ti one that you couldn't bring yourself to shorten because you'd spent so much money on it.

However I will happily spend money on a lightweight part if it has the potential to be reused on another build. For example Middleburn cranks.

My object is always to have the bike no heavier than it has to be rather than getting it as light as possible.

mtbr member
    spend a lot of money on delicate parts made of Unobtainium then use of a bit of Drillium or Hackoffium to complete the job.

fixed
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2012 Large Fatback a touch under 29#'s

I don't have a hanger scale either so I weighed everything as it went on the bike. The only weight not included was the shifter cables.. here are a a few fat bike weight specs for the weight weenies..

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range

I'd cut off the KORE post ( 410mm ouch!) if it didn't creak so much at the seat mount. I hate creaking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest Fatbike-picture-030-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamard View Post
    fixed
    Yup best option. It also lightens wallets, so the overall weight of bike and rider is reduced too.

Bunker Hill Bikes

Custom Quiring Fatbike

Going with V8 parts, the Quiring fatbike comes in at 30.22 pounds with out the commuter gear.

-Chad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest Fatbike-q-side.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yup best option. It also lightens wallets, so the overall weight of bike and rider is reduced too.
    May cause spouse to chew you out adding further weight reduction.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    haha, no spouse and usually carry plastic for ultra light weight!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast