Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Fat & Single

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

Due 15th Feb, i will certainly be down of a set of these. Don't know the weight or pricing as yet but here's the rim profile.

Looks promising enough to go tubeless easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-lb90.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

I had to google... so Light-Bicyle is the company name I see.

Looks like a great tubeless design!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hookless interesting... Still want a hundie but these might have to work.

Fat & Single
    Yes, i have 2 sets of their 29er carbon rims which i built up with Hope hubs, one 29" XC width set and the other their wider trail width 29" rims.

They perform the same as my ENVE carbon wheels, i actually couldn't tell the difference if it wasn't for the Chris King hub buzzing on the ENVE wheels and the clicking of the Hopes on the LB rims.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by DITCHMAN View Post
    Hookless interesting... Still want a hundie but these might have to work.
    A bit of info on hookless... dont know the origin of it.

"If inflating under 65 psi and using TR bead centering rims, then bead hooks are useless. We will probably see rims without bead hooks become the standard for mountain bikes in a few years, and tire bead design will follow.

Having no bead hooks allows a wider inside rim width. And the rim edge can be thicker and more durable without adding more weight compared to a rim with bead hooks.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Their new 35mm wide 650b rim is one of the more expensive ones they sell, and that's $175. So lets see what they come up with pricing on the 90mm rim. Some of the other companies out there are really getting carried away, $400 or more per rim. If this comes in under $200, that's very reasonable, and worth taking a shot. Lets wait and see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    A bit of info on hookless... dont know the origin of it.
    Think that might be from Specialized and LB is the only place I will trust for overseas direct rims.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I have the Derby hookless, wide 29er rims on my Banshee. Have beat the HELL out of them and never had any issue with burping or coming off the rim. As long as these are well designed, and the fat tire beads are tight enough, these should work out great.

Puro Vida!

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

I have a set if the 26 inch rims from them-awesome customer service and setup tubeless on the first try-I'll buy a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Guessing at $250 ish (wishing) ?

Also I would be interested to see two identical tyres side by side on this 90mm rim and any readily available 100mm bead hooked rim .

Don't forget (we're talking mm's here) that even if two rims have the same internal measurement from lip to lip . A tyre should measure up wider on a hookless rim due to not having to wrap under and around the bead hook .

I would take a guess that there will be very little in it TBH . Those holding out for a hundie may well be pleasantly surprised . We'll see eh ?

Fat Biker

Fat & Single
    Oh, just looking at the emails again, other info supplied was.

BSD:559 (bead seat diameter/ETRTO)
    ERD : 534 (effective rim diameter, used for spoke calc)
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    Guessing at $250 ish (wishing) ?
    I haven't even thought about it, would prefer to be surprised than disappointed though
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can't help it . My mind is racing .
    It's the carbon addict within that's getting excited and speculative .
    But I see what you're saying .

Fat Biker

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    What spoke hole layout? Two rows? Offset only? Better not be centered...

mtbr member
    Being box section I have one major / potential deal killer concern with these: If they are two rows (total 64 holes) then that'll be a whole bunch of place for water ingress with no good way to drain. Get that freezing and things can go all sorts of wrong, from fracturing the rim to just making it weighted weirdly. If there is only one row of holes (either centered or staggered) this won't be a big deal, because the spokes will mostly seal the holes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Being box section I have one major / potential deal killer concern with these: If they are two rows (total 64 holes) then that'll be a whole bunch of place for water ingress with no good way to drain. Get that freezing and things can go all sorts of wrong, from fracturing the rim to just making it weighted weirdly. If there is only one row of holes (either centered or staggered) this won't be a big deal, because the spokes will mostly seal the holes.
    Luckily they invented duct tape just for that job.

That or a dob of silicon sealant.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Luckily they invented duct tape just for that job.

That or a dob of silicon sealant.
    Duct tape on the outside of the rim? That'd look like ass and won't be particularly durable... I'd also be wary of RTV silicone because I don't know what the solvents in it will do to the carbon fiber. I'd rather just have 32 staggered holes. Or, I wonder if there's a good reason not to just have them drilled straight down the middle of the rim ala HED.

Harrumph
    I ordered a pair of 650b rims for my XC bike. We'll see how they work out but so far I'm really happy with the customer service. The fat rims will be on the list for sure. They have a ton of options for finishes/drillings on other rims, maybe you'll be able to pick your poison on the fatties too.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Duct tape on the outside of the rim? That'd look like ass and won't be particularly durable...
    Sorry, I was being a bit facetious.

Duct tape has lasted 3 years on one of my rims though. It ain't pretty, but the perpetual film of dirt hides it.

Good point about the silicone. I'll change my suggestion to epoxy for there.

You are right though, for rims that price, there should be no compromises.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Sorry, I was being a bit facetious.

Duct tape has lasted 3 years on one of my rims though. It ain't pretty, but the perpetual film of dirt hides it.

Good point about the silicone. I'll change my suggestion to epoxy for there.

You are right though, for rims that price, there should be no compromises.

Epoxy would be interesting... If you could get it applied nicely I could see that working well. I like duct tape as rim strips, but not just applied on the outside for purposes of filling space.

I'm really not sure of a good solution with a box section rim, honestly. It almost seems to be like a standard single wall fatbike rim is better, because then the tubeless tape would seal the holes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What are people's thoughts on hookless fat rims when running really low tire pressures such as 4psi?

mtbr member
    These rims are essentially made to order so [within reason] you can ask for whatever spoke hole configuration you need to work with your particular bike with no need for excess unused holes.

Even with all the holes occupied with spokes I don't think you'll have a waterproof seal to keep moisture out of the interior of the rim though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    These rims are essentially made to order so [within reason] you can ask for whatever spoke hole configuration you need to work with your particular bike with no need for excess unused holes.

Even with all the holes occupied with spokes I don't think you'll have a waterproof seal to keep moisture out of the interior of the rim though.

This^^^

Do you really think your spoke nipples are water tight? If anything the 64 drilled rims offer MORE opportunity for things to get out, not the other way around. And, as vikb said, it might be a moot point anyway.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    This^^^

Do you really think your spoke nipples are water tight? If anything the 64 drilled rims offer MORE opportunity for things to get out, not the other way around. And, as vikb said, it might be a moot point anyway.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Water will flow in quickly, but there's no good way for it to come out because the holes will always be above where the water itself is. I could see some heavy shaking getting some out, but it's not just going to drain.

With regards to spoke holes being water tight, I think they are pretty well sealed, at least much more than open holes. As evidence, I have a number of wheels with all the spoke holes filled (typical / basic 29er wheels, eyeletted and not) and if I ride slowly through a section of trail that submerges them I don't get a bunch of water inside the box section. Nor does this happen when I wash the bike.

Just open holes, though? Water is going to flow in and be a pain to get out.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Why are you trolling this thread in particular with this double spoke hole crap? There's MANY different rims out there with open holes and places for stuff to get stuck and no one makes a big deal about those rims. It seems anywhere Light-Bicycle is mentioned trolls will appear...

Oh. And if you must find a solution, go to the hardware store and buy 64 tiny rubber grommets and plug them. It's not a big deal.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast