Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome!!! can't wait for mine to show up...

Fat & Single
    Looking good Bob, i thought there might be a fight with these to get the tyre on going on the profile.

Have you tried to take one off again ?

My Nexties are finger breaking tight to get off... and they were the ones with the smaller BSD too.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    would be interesting to see both nextie and these side by side with tire mounted on. looks like rim profile will give pretty different look to the wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Fresh off of the Tuna boat, 675g and 673g I was hoping for a little lighter but still respectable. It took me about a 1/2 hour to get the GC on the rim with a Clownshoe rimstrip even with Uncle ***** bead seat. Normally I would be pissed but with fat tires it was a welcomed endeavor. The best part was It fit so tight I got it to set up with a tire pump. Oh and just for reference this same tire mounted on a RD very easy and was a little sloppy.

Hey bdundee refresh my mind again will ya please ?

How much for a pair shipped with fees (Paypal etc ) ?

How long from ordering till receipt ?

How much per rim are you saving and from what rim are you coming from ?

TIA

Fat Biker

All fat, all the time.
    Mmm looks good!!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    Hey bdundee refresh my mind again will ya please ?

How much for a pair shipped with fees (Paypal etc ) ?

How long from ordering till receipt ?

How much per rim are you saving and from what rim are you coming from ?

TIA

Fat Biker
    I think it took about a month from the time I ordered, they said 20 days lead time plus 7 for shipping and it was close to that. I was on Clownshoes and with a little extra drillium those where at 970g do roughly 600 grams in savings but a narrower rim. I am hoping for a no nonsense tubeless setup like some Umas I had once before and these are looking promising. See cost below.

Bill I haven't tried to get the tires off yet but they are stuck pretty good and still holding air with no Stans and without a good tape job but only time will tell if it's a true success.

Product DESCRIPTION QTY(pcs) UNIT PRICE( USD) AMOUNT(USD)
    carbon 90mm wide 26er fatbike rims UD glossy and 32H(centered drilling) 2 278 556.00
    shipping cost by EMS 64.00
    paypal fee 3.5% 21.70
    TOTAL: 641.70

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks bdundee

P.S. Hurry up and get some wheel build pics up (inc weights and specs) for us nerds will ya

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    These look great and I like the profile and weight for these over the Nextie shape
    Could well be a future purchase

All fat, all the time.
    I figured out what you guys are doing with the tires mounted onto rims with no spokes & hubs....

cat's out of the bag!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nancy told me, mine were shipping out yesterday, but I never received a notification from them. I was also told that one was 676 grams and the other was 691 grams. They weigh a little more than I hoped but I am gonna deal with that. My inner weight weenie is kicking in, but..... I have to remember FAT bike!

aka bOb
    As of right now anyways these rims SUCK!! I've been at it for about an hour trying to get the damn tire off!! I got both beads to break free and I got it into the center channel but I cant get a spot started over the wall. Needs a deeper center channel or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

As of right now anyways these rims SUCK!! I've been at it for about an hour trying to get the damn tire off!! I got both beads to break free and I got it into the center channel but I cant get a spot started over the wall. Needs a deeper center channel or something.
    Soap and water Danielson? Or heat.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Soap and water Danielson?
    Dude I have soap, water, Vaseline, uncle ***** bead slip, this tire is not coming off without either cutting the tire or breaking the rim!!

Fat & Single
    Ahhh.... Nextie channel size ???

Got the confirmation this morning, the new Nextie rims have held tubeless on Bud, Lou, Nate and V-rubber, they are back in production.

I thought it was going to be tight on the LB's, but didn't think about getting the bead started to take the tyre off

Ever think we are Guinea Pigs in the game of carbon fatbike rim testing.

Here's some channel love to inspire you...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

aka bOb
    Got it!! Put the carbon to the test and just man handled it, should be easier next time but my buddies will think somethings up if they see the jar of Vaseline in my frame bag.

Yeah Bill I agree, sometimes it feels like we are the consumer and the R&D department all in one.

Sup
    if nextie and light bikes would only get together and have children

Nextikes
    I am slow therefore I am

Laramie, Wyoming
    Between the posts of shark and bundee, I'm laughing. I'm sure glad that there are people like Bill and Bob in the world who are willing to go the extra mile to make sure that when I get my wheels, they are good.

aka bOb
    I have been in correspondence with Nancy from LB and I think they are interested in fixing this problem. Any reports with tire fitting and removal would be greatly appreciated. Hell maybe it's just the Specialized tires but I am a scared to try my other tires on especially since they are all wire bead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A belt sander could knock the sidewall diameter down a few mm pretty quick...

(Seriously, it's an option)

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    A belt sander could knock the sidewall diameter down a few mm pretty quick...

(Seriously, it's an option)
    That's so much of an issue as needing a way deeper channel in the middle. Hell I couldn't even get it over the hump before it gets to the sidewall. It doesn't look like it should be that tight but this same GC I tried on a RD was fairly loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-01.jpg  

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I have been in correspondence with Nancy from LB and I think they are interested in fixing this problem. Any reports with tire fitting and removal would be greatly appreciated. Hell maybe it's just the Specialized tires but I am a scared to try my other tires on especially since they are all wire bead.
    if you think they're tight, try Dunlop superbike tires on $4,000 carbon rims... I get your reluctance to muscle them on & off, but carbon fiber is a lot more durable than you would think intuitively.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    if you think they're tight, try Dunlop superbike tires on $4,000 carbon rims... I get your reluctance to muscle them on & off, but carbon fiber is a lot more durable than you would think intuitively.
    Yeah I came to that understanding that carbon is a lot tougher than I thought but this was more of the case where I physically couldn't do it. Now I learned a little technique but I don't think I cold do it at 0 deg or in the middle of the woods at 80deg with misquettos attacking. I am no big feller but I am not tiny either and I was literally jumping on the tires with my shoes on and that was the easy part. I couldn't get the tire lever under the bead and pull it over to the sidewall to get it up and over. Like I said thought I got the technique down so maybe it will work out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's so much of an issue as needing a way deeper channel in the middle. Hell I couldn't even get it over the hump before it gets to the sidewall. It doesn't look like it should be that tight but this same GC I tried on a RD was fairly loose.
    Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that the center channel depth made any difference when installing or removing a fat tire. Getting the tire bead over the rim sidewall would seem like the limiting dimensions. The BSD diameter and sidewall height are what governs how easy that is.

When removing a tire, I never unseat the opposite side first, just lever off whatever side needs to come off. The other side stays where it is at. But I guess I haven't even done that in a long time. With tubeless being so effective, the only time my tire levers get used anymore are when replacing worn out rubber.

Do you find it necessary to unseat both sides of the tire and use the center groove during removal? Is that only for this tire/rim combination or is it something you always do?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that the center channel depth made any difference when installing or removing a fat tire. Getting the tire bead over the rim sidewall would seem like the limiting dimensions. The BSD diameter and sidewall height are what governs how easy that is.

When removing a tire, I never unseat the opposite side first, just lever off whatever side needs to come off. The other side stays where it is at. But I guess I haven't even done that in a long time. With tubeless being so effective, the only time my tire levers get used anymore are when replacing worn out rubber.

Do you find it necessary to unseat both sides of the tire and use the center groove during removal? Is that only for this tire/rim combination or is it something you always do?
    Tire beads do not stretch (at least not very much) so the extra room has to come from somewhere and that's where the channel comes in. I think you are using a channel of some sort more that you realize. For this tire rim combo I need to unseat both sides so I can push part of the tire towards the outside with the tire lever under the bead. Without the tire being in the channel there is no may possible to even get a lever under the bead. A normal skinny rim I would unseat one side and get it in the channel and stick the lever under it and pop it off. With the wide rims the channel in 40mm from the side so I need to get under it in the center and work it out the 40mm to where the lever becomes effective and I can pop it off. Sorry it's just hard to explain.

Fat & Single
    Sorry it's just hard to explain.
    Knew exactly what you were saying back up on post #211... vividly pictured it.

The very thing we try to achieve with foam only foam is a linear "channel" and the whole tyre bead can be moved over to the edge and popped over the rim bead, the tyre must sit in the centre channel/valley on the carbon to give enough slack to even have a chance to get the bead over the rim bead, therefore stretching the tyre bead, it must pull tight across the "hump" on the LB rims make it effin tight to get over the rim bead and release the tyre.

You never know Bob, maybe we can get into the fatbike-hall-of-fame for being the fall guys of the Chinese carbon rim movement
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post

You never know Bob, maybe we can get into the fatbike-hall-of-fame for being the fall guys of the Chinese carbon rim movement
    Or a big I'm an idiot cap, either way it's fun though

Fat & Single
    Mate, a couple of hundred bucks for carbon wheels AND the places we buy them from stand by their product better than many of the big companies we pay a premium for name only. I have had awesome customer service from ENVE but i'll never spend $3000 on a set of wheels ever again.

These guys are selling us basically untested stuff and taking our feedback 100%, then doing something about it.

I feel bad for them in a way as the tyre bead consistency is crap.

Anyones bike make pinkbike lately ?

New Carbon Fatbike Rim 90mm Width Double Wall Tubeless Ready Nextie-Bike 2014 by brianhsia - Pinkbike
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Laramie, Wyoming
    ...Anyones bike make pinkbike lately ?
    There's always a badge for being first. Don't get too snooty now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Or a big I'm an idiot cap, either way it's fun though
    I guess I'll take my idiot cap too. My LB rims came in today. I am lacing them next week to Industry Nine Torch Fat Hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I know I went waaayyy overboard on this build, but its all for fun. I'll let you know how they build up and how the tire mounting and tubeless endeavor goes.

aka bOb
    Mate, a couple of hundred bucks for carbon wheels AND the places we buy them from stand by their product better than many of the big companies we pay a premium for name only. I have had awesome customer service from ENVE but i'll never spend $3000 on a set of wheels ever again.

These guys are selling us basically untested stuff and taking our feedback 100%, then doing something about it.

I feel bad for them in a way as the tyre bead consistency is crap.

Anyones bike make pinkbike lately ?

New Carbon Fatbike Rim 90mm Width Double Wall Tubeless Ready Nextie-Bike 2014 by brianhsia - Pinkbike
    I agree with all of this and a big CONGRATULATIONS Bill on the Pinkbike, that is a huge honor and my new screen saver.

Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I guess I'll take my idiot cap too. My LB rims came in today. I am lacing them next week to Industry Nine Torch Fat Hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I know I went waaayyy overboard on this build, but its all for fun. I'll let you know how they build up and how the tire mounting and tubeless endeavor goes.
    Did you try on tire on one yet.

edit: oops I didn't read enough you sorry

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I wonder how Bud and Lou would come on and off that rim....they're pretty liberal in the looseness category. If some one tries it let me know....I'm going to buy a set of the LB's in the Fall, to lighten my lead sled Moonlander.
    Climbing Builds Character

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    There's always a badge for being first. Don't get too snooty now.
    was just sharing in case you's were interested.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    A bit of info on hookless... dont know the origin of it.
    Factory JF who did the design and the fabrication, a great supplier. That's the origin. Ask them to get all info on hookless.
    Carbon life, Carbon fan!
    MTB carbon rims & wheels, www.carbonbicycle.cc

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Wait, are you guys kidding about the PinkBike thing? Anyone can get an account on there and throw together a blog post, it doesn't mean it's making front page or anything, just that it... exists.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    Wait, are you guys kidding about the PinkBike thing? Anyone can get an account on there and throw together a blog post, it doesn't mean it's making front page or anything, just that it... exists.
    Why do you need to go pee on someones wheaties right away, I'm still impressed so shush!!

Oh Nancy said the engineers said to build the wheel and the tire will get easier to remove, not buying it but it's worth a shot and I've been wrong many times before.

Loser
    I fail to see how a tire on a built wheel will be easier to remove, that doesn't make any sense to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I fail to see how a tire on a built wheel will be easier to remove, that doesn't make any sense to me.
    Possibly the tension slightly reduces the diameter of the rim. Never measured it, but possible.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

bike tester
    carbon flexes a lot under tension. 1mm shorter radius makes a big difference.

aka bOb
    I will know soon but when you compress a circle the excess has to go somewhere, doesn't it?

Loser
    Exactly what I'm thinking.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I will know soon but when you compress a circle the excess has to go somewhere, doesn't it?
    Maybe it's a specially designed feature.

Loser
    Compressible carbon?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Compressible carbon?
    The new line of underwear, nuttin like a carbon banana hammock to get the party rolling. I like it!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Laced to hope fatsno

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-image.jpg. 1176g

Dt rev. Brass nipples.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by carbontubulars View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	892258. 1176g

Dt rev. Brass nipples.
    Get er done and throw a tire on that bad boy!!

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    Who cares !!! It was only a bit of a joke. More about the pic of my bike... Thanks for pointing it out, I'm sure it must have been playing on your mind.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    Looking great ! Get em on and get some pics up.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Possibly the tension slightly reduces the diameter of the rim. Never measured it, but possible.
    Stans Crests are famous for losing tension when you fit a tyre. A newly built set tensioned to ~110kgf can lose 30kgf easily when a tubeless tyre is inflated on the rim.

So definitely there is a good case for reducing the size of the hoop when applying tension to it... dunno if it would be noticeably easier to fit a tyre though.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just laced up mine and final tensioning is done. LB rims with CX-Ray spokes on Torch hubs. Front 1041 grams and rear is 1191 grams. Not taped tubeless yet. I am gonna try to tape and get one aired up tonite.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I just laced up mine and final tensioning is done. LB rims with CX-Ray spokes on Torch hubs. Front 1041 grams and rear is 1191 grams. Not taped tubeless yet. I am gonna try to tape and get one aired up tonite.
    Don't worry about taping it up just throw a tire on it first, hopefully it's OK.

aka bOb
    Looking great ! Get em on and get some pics up.

Stans Crests are famous for losing tension when you fit a tyre. A newly built set tensioned to ~110kgf can lose 30kgf easily when a tubeless tyre is inflated on the rim.

So definitely there is a good case for reducing the size of the hoop when applying tension to it... dunno if it would be noticeably easier to fit a tyre though.
    Interesting, now that you mention this I have read something on that. Do you know if it's a fairly even loss all around or just a few spots?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast