Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've been riding mine for about 3 weeks.. Love them so far, built up super easy and go tubeless really well.. I used gorilla tape and a little Stans, but both front and rear held air for a day without the sealant...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegulch View Post
    Any user update on the LB fat rims?

Anyone order them recently?

Thanks.
    They are sending me a replacement set with the new deeper channel, should be here in a few weeks. I put about 26 mils on em last night and they are sweet, holding tubeless great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    They are replacing my original ones also. As a matter of fact, mine have shipped. On a different note, I just pinch flatted on a tubeless set up. I hit a rock and it cut through right the sidewall, right next to the bead and also in the tread area. I let my sealant mostly dry up, so it did not seal. That's the bad news. The good news.....not a mark on the carbon!! The rim is perfect. However to try and break the bead was a nightmare, luckily I didn't have to take a tire bead off the rim. I had to do that because I lost my injector. Grrrr. There is so little room from the tire bead to smallest diameter of the rim, that I squeeze a rubber tube partially flat just to get some sealant in them. Luckily I over filled it and it did seal, but I don't know if it will hold when riding. My new rims will be here next week and I am rebuilding the wheels anyway, but I am NOT looking forward to trying to remove the tire!!!

All fat, all the time.
    Didn't see it anywhere, is LB coming out with a 65mm rim?

mtbr member
    Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-fat-rims-65mm-cross-section-diagram.jpgName:  fat rims 65mm..jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  68.6 KBName:  fat rims 65mm.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  78.4 KB
    Carbon life, Carbon fan!
    MTB carbon rims & wheels, www.carbonbicycle.cc

Laramie, Wyoming
    What holds the tire in place?

mtbr member
    The hooks on two sides hold the tire.
    The hooks are not so important for holding the tire, and more and more riders take the hookless rims now.
    Carbon life, Carbon fan!
    MTB carbon rims & wheels, www.carbonbicycle.cc

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bktide View Post
    The hooks on two sides hold the tire.
    The hooks are not so important for holding the tire, and more and more riders take the hookless rims now.
    I guess I wasn't clear but I guess these aren't going to be used in really low pressure scenarios.

Human Test Subject
    I ordered some last month and "Kartrin" said there was a production time of 15-20 business days. If they use a 5 day work week, I'm at day 19 of waiting.

So....hopefully soon they'll ship.

mtbr member

Re: Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear but I guess these aren't going to be used in really low pressure scenarios.
    Hookless are superior exactly for this.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    OK, I got my new redesigned replacement rims. One was 10-25 grams lighter than my originals. Quality was the same, which is good. I built one up and it trued and tensioned very easily. I used the 4 inch wide 8898 tape for tubeless tape and taped it last night. I mount a new Specialized GC tire, which went on noticeably easier, but still required a little work, which is what I wanted to prevent burping. Put in the stock tube over night to compress and seal the tape. I pulled off one bead, again still a little work, but very manageable. I pulled that whole side tire bead back off the rim, while the other stayed in it's rim seat channel location. I poured 8 ounces of Orange Seal in the tire and put the bead back on the rim. I inflated using an air compressor to about 15-20 psi and the bead popped on nicely. It felt like it would pump up on a floor pump but not sure. Once the bead popped on, it appears to be holding air.

So the redesigned replacement rim is 100% better, and I think a flat repair in the woods is very doable. I felt they kept the BSD tubeless channel built in properly, but made it a manageable task to mount and dismount the tire by making the center area of the rim a little roomier.

Now, I still have to try to take off my old tire from the old rim. Not looking forward to that. Those tires are so expensive, that if necessary, I will cut the rim to save the tire. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    OK, I got my new redesigned replacement rims.
    Thank you for that. I'm really interested in some of these, but I'm hesitant to spend the $$$ on a set yet... You're helping me feel a lot better about them.

Would you be able to share some pictures of them? Also, what kind of terrain do you ride? I'm looking for some fatbike rims that'll be good for year-round use on generally smooth (and occasionally lumpy) Michigan trails. Everything from moderately loose snow to hardpack with occasional fist-sized rocks.

(I've got some LB 35mm 29er rims that I've been very happy with thus far... If these are comparable, it'd be great!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I ride this bike in NE with rocks, roots, logs, mud, sand, hardpack, and of course the winter riding, basically anywhere and everywhere for all purpose trail riding. I ride these, and the Fat Boy, for that matter, almost everywhere I ride my 6" Enduro bike. Just a little more selective about drops and jumps. Quality wise, they are very comparable to everything else LB has. I can't remember where I posted it, and I don't have the time to look, but I previously posted that I pinch flatted a Specialized GC fat tire carcass on a rock, two snake bite holes, and there was not a mark on the rim and it was still true. Thats good enough for me.

I will try and post pics, this build was my single speed wheel, but I am also building a geared wheel in the near future. I am still going to order another rim, and I will not hesitate based on these rims I received.

mtbr member
    That's great to hear. I've got a set of Hope Fatsno hubs sitting in the basement just waiting for some rims, and I'd love to get them finished before winter. May I ask what the price ended up being, and do you have the LB model number for the new style rims? I wouldn't mind getting some ordered sooner than later so I can be confidant of them well before the snow hits.

aka bOb
    Never mind nobody cared fug it
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-22-2014 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    May I ask what the price ended up being, and do you have the LB model number for the new style rims? I wouldn't mind getting some ordered sooner than later so I can be confidant of them well before the snow hits.
    Be prepared for MINIMUM 20 day lead time. That is their standard stated time frame and for me it has always been longer. I'm not complaining because the quality and customer service has been great, but they are not quick to ship. Each piece is made to order. I do not know if they even have a model number, but the 90mm Fat rim is all you need. Then just choose weave, finish, hole pattern and if you want paint or decals. Just email or chat with them from their website, and they will create a custom invoice for your requested specifications and then they email that to you. You can pay from there.

mtbr member
    That sounds like just what happened with my 29er rims. Those had the price more available because I purchased them via their eBay store.

Would you mind sharing your price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just looked at my invoice. $640 including the shipping and paypal fee.

mtbr member
    I just looked at my invoice. $640 including the shipping and paypal fee.
    Cool, thanks. Bit more than I wanted to spend, but still seems reasonable... I was hoping for something much closer to the $170/rim for the 35mm 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bktide View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat rims 65mm cross section diagram.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	908548Name:  fat rims 65mm..jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  68.6 KBName:  fat rims 65mm.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  78.4 KB
    Is Light Bike and Carbon Bike the same company?

I'm into the 65mm Rims any pricing?
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member

I too am looking for 65-75mm carbon.
    CRAMBA Chairman

aka bOb
    My new set should be here in a few days.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-26-2014 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    My new set should be here in a few days.
    Can you please some pics when you get them
    I'd be interested to see if there the same rim as my lamere rim
    Are you getting 65 or 90 mm
    Cheers
    Ip

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpo View Post
    Can you please some pics when you get them
    I'd be interested to see if there the same rim as my lamere rim
    Are you getting 65 or 90 mm
    Cheers
    Ip
    90mm.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    90mm.
    Ok thanks
    I'd still love to see some pics , as by the look of them there the same as the lamere rim
    (A lot cheaper though than lamere )
    Mine are 65mm but I'm sure I could tell if there coming out of the same factory
    Cheers
    IP

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just laced up mine and final tensioning is done. LB rims with CX-Ray spokes on Torch hubs. Front 1041 grams and rear is 1191 grams. Not taped tubeless yet. I am gonna try to tape and get one aired up tonite.
    Bpd131
    What spoke lengths did you use?
    Which hub widths?
    Was Rim hole pattern ordered the "centered" version?
    Want this same setup
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by prismmedia View Post
    Bpd131
    What spoke lengths did you use?
    Which hub widths?
    Was Rim hole pattern ordered the "centered" version?
    Want this same setup
    Thanks
    Rear Hub was a 190mm, so the spoke lengths are specific to that. Front, I initially had a 135 QR, then re-dished the wheel using the same spokes when I went to the 150mm adapters. The calculated length was only .5mm difference so when I had to round to the nearest spoke lengths, the same spoke were usable anyway..

My rims are the centered drilled version.

Front spokes are 258mm NDS / 262mm DS
    Rear Spokes are 260MM NDS / 258mm DS

261mm would have been the perfect spoke in place of both the 260mm & 262mm spokes, but I could not find them. So the lower actual calculated length (rear NDS) I rounded down, the higher actual calculated length (Front DS) I rounded up. I used Freespoke to get the calculations, but also check various calculators

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rear Hub was a 190mm, so the spoke lengths are specific to that. Front, I initially had a 135 QR, then re-dished the wheel using the same spokes when I went to the 150mm adapters. The calculated length was only .5mm difference so when I had to round to the nearest spoke lengths, the same spoke were usable anyway..

My rims are the centered drilled version.

Front spokes are 258mm NDS / 262mm DS
    Rear Spokes are 260MM NDS / 258mm DS

261mm would have been the perfect spoke in place of both the 260mm & 262mm spokes, but I could not find them. So the lower actual calculated length (rear NDS) I rounded down, the higher actual calculated length (Front DS) I rounded up. I used Freespoke to get the calculations, but also check various calculators
    Awesome
    thanks for the reply.
    got my spoke calculator to match your numbers by subtracting the 19.5mm spoke offset from the center to flange measurements.

Human Test Subject
    Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-img_20140802_183914813.jpg
    So far so good.

mtbr member
    Love the chainstay.

mtbr member

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

Just ordered some 90mm rims from LB - we'll see how long it takes for them to show up in Canada. I asked about the deeper channel for easier mounting and was told that all of the rims shipping now are with the modified mold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    Just ordered some 90mm rims from LB - we'll see how long it takes for them to show up in Canada. I asked about the deeper channel for easier mounting and was told that all of the rims shipping now are with the modified mold.
    Ordered mine on 31st. will see how long they take to CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Kartrin from LB says it takes 10 business days to make and 4-7 days for delivery.

Human Test Subject
    I'm taking a break from trying to get my BFLs off to go tubeless, but they're on so f'n tight I may just shoot myself in the face instead. Right now even lighting myself on fire sounds less painful than this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I'm taking a break from trying to get my BFLs off to go tubeless, but they're on so f'n tight I may just shoot myself in the face instead. Right now even lighting myself on fire sounds less painful than this.
    If these are the first gen LB Fat rims..... start pouring the gasoline. Look up BDundee who did have success in removing a tire without gunshots or fire.

mtbr member

Have you tried a Quik Stick? They have done wonders for me with stubborn tires: http://www.amazon.com/Quik-Stik-Tire.../dp/B000C128PC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Have you tried a Quik Stick? They have done wonders for me with stubborn tires: Amazon.com : Quik Stik Tire Changer Tire Levers - 1 per Card : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors
    These are great, but I broke one trying to get a tire ON these rims.

Human Test Subject
    These might be first gen. I ordered a while ago. Right now I haven't gotten the bead far enough away from the edge of the rim to get anything underneath to pry it off.

Off the back...
    ERD still 535mm, or did it change with the redesign?
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

aka bOb
    The good news it once I wrapped them with fat Stans they where easier to get on and off but the bead is still a sum***** to break it free which is a good thing. Oh and big fuggin hammer and fire definitely crossed my mind the first time I went to take a tire off, now I use Uncle ***** bead slip to mount them and it seems to help.

Human Test Subject
    They've got 8898 on there now. I could basically get the bead off but couldn't get it over the hump and into the ridge. I'll try stepping on the tire next time.

Human Test Subject
    Stepping on it doesn't work either. This is rather annoying.

Human Test Subject
    Broke the valve stepping on the tire to try to get the bead over the hump. So since I can't get the tire off, the useless tube is stuck in there as well.

DO NOT ORDER THESE RIMS.

For a while at least, until they for sure sort out their issues. I emailed Nancy at Light-Bicycle a few days ago and am awaiting a response to see if they're aware that they're still sending out old versions of their rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Bugger. I just ordered a pair. Nancy reassured me that the new versions are now shipping that have a deeper well though?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageracer View Post
    Bugger. I just ordered a pair. Nancy reassured me that the new versions are now shipping that have a deeper well though?
    I got a set of the newer one but haven't tried them yet. Sorry for your headaches Volsung I feel your pain but the fat Stans tape made a world of difference in getting the tires over that hump to get the bead to break loose.

banned
    Sep 2008
    surly rims and lite toobz. yup, don't even need yer hands to get the tires off

have fun boys! lol

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Broke the valve stepping on the tire to try to get the bead over the hump. So since I can't get the tire off, the useless tube is stuck in there as well.

DO NOT ORDER THESE RIMS.

For a while at least, until they for sure sort out their issues. I emailed Nancy at Light-Bicycle a few days ago and am awaiting a response to see if they're aware that they're still sending out old versions of their rims.
    Rest assured the new rims are much better. I have both versions, the new version fixes the old issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hello! I ordered the whole wheelset before visiting here.. Now Im worried about my rims. What do you think about these rims? Tight or less tight model?
    Carbon fat/snow bike wheels 90mm width - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hello! I ordered the whole wheelset before visiting here.. Now Im worried about my rims. What do you think about these rims? Tight or less tight model?
    Carbon fat/snow bike wheels 90mm width - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

bdundee: Fat Stans tape? Im relly beginner with fat bikes..

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    surly rims and lite toobz. yup, don't even need yer hands to get the tires off...
    Yep, I could go back to this and add about four pounds back on my bike.

mtbr member

Ordered Aug 8th, got shipping confirmation Aug 23rd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noniinno View Post

bdundee: Fat Stans tape? Im relly beginner with fat bikes..
    All the stuff they are shipping now is the newer design and works well.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yep, I could go back to this and add about four pounds back on my bike.
    wanna race?

rog

aka bOb
    i've found that dropping a pound from rotation weight is equal to gaining an extra gear. so if you normally ride that climb in yer 30 x 21, drop a pound of rotation weight and yer climbing it in yer 30 x 19 no prob. faster. switching from my 1480 gram vee 8's to my 1255 gram knards was like riding a whole different bike, especially on the climbs.

rog

Kinda funny how you just posted this on another thread.

banned
    Sep 2008
    dood, you spend way too much time on the internet.;p

rog

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    Ordered Aug 8th, got shipping confirmation Aug 23rd.

The Knard's casing rolls tons better than the Vee 8's. Unless my 120tpi Vee 8's are pumped up hard, they are noticeably slower than my Knards and Husker Du's. Self steer problems as well.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    dood, you spend way too much time on the internet.;p

rog
    Yup retired with kids so while Little Einsteins is on I get to play on here, not much else to do but ride work on bikes and play on internet. Weren't you talking about getting some Whisky rims with your discount awhile ago

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yup retired with kids so while Little Einsteins is on I get to play on here, not much else to do but ride work on bikes and play on internet. Weren't you talking about getting some Whisky rims with your discount awhile ago
    sweet setup

i was thinking about those whisky rims till i realized how expensive they are. i don't really see a need to pay much more than a grand (at shop cost) for a whole bike, so i doubt i'd pay any more than half that for a set of wheels. ever.

i've had way more fun taking names at races on super cheap bikes like the old bianchi cuss singlespeed (2001) 800.00 retail complete than on custom 5000.00 bikes/builds i've had. the bianchi had all that was needed. a cheap a$$ easton "ultralite" frame, a tange chromo fork, cheap v-brakes (shitty brakes only make you ride faster), and super durable wire beaded wtb tires. 36-18 gearing allowed for keeping pace with the faster expert gearies.

it's truly priceless when you cross the line in 50+ mile mtb races on a bike that costs way less than some peoples wheelsets, lay the bike down and have folks look at the bike and tell you, "that's just not right"

MARGE LITES FOR THIS CAT!

enjoy the kids, my 1st will be here on or around oct 12th. yay!

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ordered mine on 31st. will see how long they take to CO
    Delivered on the 25th. No problems. Good communication.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ordered mine the 8th, arrived via express USPS yesterday (27th) first impressions are good. 682g and 687g on my scales looking forward to building them up. Tyre mounted easily by hand.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

Human Test Subject
    Nancy emailed me and said I have the new versions. After hearing so much about how great their customer service is I feel pretty cheated. Like cheated out of $650. I definitely won't chance it again with this company if this is their improved version.

I'm glad I kept the spokes from my clown shoes. Anyone know a good way to cut through a rim without damaging a tire? If not I'm out a set of BFLs too.

banned
    Sep 2008
    pm sir sultan mikesee for the answer. he apparently has all of them.

oh, and, vibes.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the original version and although they are tight, they come off and on pretty easy. If it went on, it should come off, obviously with some blood sweat tears... Keep trying though.

Nancy emailed me and said I have the new versions. After hearing so much about how great their customer service is I feel pretty cheated. Like cheated out of $650. I definitely won't chance it again with this company if this is their improved version.

I'm glad I kept the spokes from my clown shoes. Anyone know a good way to cut through a rim without damaging a tire? If not I'm out a set of BFLs too.

Anchorage, AK

I have a Samra carbon rim that is also very tight. Standing on it didn't work to get the tire off. I finally managed to remove the tire (twice now) by wedging a Pedro's tire lever between the bead and the tire and slowly opening a gap around the radius of the rim. It took me about a half hour the first time and about ten minutes the second--very unpleasant work and I am not at all convinced that the force required won't eventually damage the rim.

Good luck.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Have anyone built wheels from these rims lately? I am building a set, and feel the stated ERD of 535mm is to short?
    My spokes show to much thread (1-2mm) and a rough measurement with a long ruler show aprox 535mm inside the rim (edge to edge).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geir68 View Post
    Have anyone built wheels from these rims lately? I am building a set, and feel the stated ERD of 535mm is to short?
    My spokes show to much thread (1-2mm) and a rough measurement with a long ruler show aprox 535mm inside the rim (edge to edge).
    I used the ERD of 535 and it worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Geir68 View Post
    Geir68
    i just built a set and they seemed about right.
    i used I9 hubs with 256/260 fr L/R and 258/256 L/R rear spoke lengths. had to use spoke offset of 19.5mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Geir68
    i just built a set and they seemed about right.
    i used I9 hubs with 256/260 fr L/R and 258/256 L/R rear spoke lengths. had to use spoke offset of 19.5mm
    I built mine on I9 Torch also, I used Sapim CX-Ray spokes, but I used 2mm longer in each spoke.

Off the back...
    Just built up my set with Hope Fatsno hubs, 170/135. 260mm spokes were fine out back, but 258mm would have been better in front. Still got to the target spoke tension okay, just required a few extra turns of the wrench.

Mounted 45Nrth Dillinger 4 + 5 tires [folding, studded] on the wheels with a Quikstik and will need a compressor to seat them tubeless.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Why are you trolling this thread in particular with this double spoke hole crap? There's MANY different rims out there with open holes and places for stuff to get stuck and no one makes a big deal about those rims. It seems anywhere Light-Bicycle is mentioned trolls will appear...

Oh. And if you must find a solution, go to the hardware store and buy 64 tiny rubber grommets and plug them. It's not a big deal.
    Not many have made a big deal about it in the past but I think we will see more rims made without extra holes. I know that I have never liked it and if offered both ways, I'll buy the rim made for my setup.

Off the back...
    For anyone setting up these rims tubeless, what method did you use? I had to put a tube in to seat both beads, pop one bead and then slowly pull out the tube and re-seat the other bead with a compressor. The pop when the bead seats is LOUD. As in, "oh ****, the rim just snapped in half and punched a hole in my compressor" loud.

Getting the tires off the rim wasn't horrible, but I would want reinforced levers for use on rides. What is horrible, is pushing the bead from the edge back into the center. OMFG, that was a PITA. I even had to use WD-40 on one rim.

On the plus side, if I do get a flat, there is no way that tire is rolling off the rim on its own.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    For anyone setting up these rims tubeless, what method did you use? I had to put a tube in to seat both beads, pop one bead and then slowly pull out the tube and re-seat the other bead with a compressor. The pop when the bead seats is LOUD. As in, "oh ****, the rim just snapped in half and punched a hole in my compressor" loud.

Getting the tires off the rim wasn't horrible, but I would want reinforced levers for use on rides. What is horrible, is pushing the bead from the edge back into the center. OMFG, that was a PITA. I even had to use WD-40 on one rim.

On the plus side, if I do get a flat, there is no way that tire is rolling off the rim on its own.
    I used wide stans and it made changing the tire a lot easier due to it being more slippery than the carbon. Also I think my tires did stretch at the bead some after being mounted which helped, I can change them real fast now.

Off the back...
    I used wide stans and it made changing the tire a lot easier due to it being more slippery than the carbon. Also I think my tires did stretch at the bead some after being mounted which helped, I can change them real fast now.
    That's good to know, thanks.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

aka bOb
    Oh and I use this as well.
    http://uncle*****bikeshop.com/produc...slip-2-7oz-tin

Stupid sight won't let me type the word dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck dlck

It's uncle d*cks bead slip

Elitest thrill junkie
    So consensus on best tubeless setup for these?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So consensus on best tubeless setup for these?
    I just used one wrap of fat stans tape and it's been golden all summer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I saw that. Mine are on the way. Basically, I want the easiest way to set them up tubeless
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    One down, one to go.

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-img_1164.jpgLight-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-img_1166.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    And the last one:

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-gedc0407.jpgLight-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-gedc0408.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tubeless notes:

Set up with wide gorilla tape.

Getting the tire off the "hump" and into the middle to take it off is damn hard, but a rigid-sole shoe like my Lake 303s made it work pretty easy (after about 45 minutes trying various boots).

By pushing at least a part of the tire off the middle and over the hump (so only a portion is like this, the rest is in the "middle") it made setting with a floor pump much easier when the sealant was in there. Otherwise it was nearly impossible to get it to seal and push outward and over.

The bulldozer 4.7s went into place with a loud bang, but seem to have set nice and even for the most part, much better than when I was running tubes in them.

Building the wheels took a lot less time than setting up tubeless, haha, but I've been building wheels for a while.

Human Test Subject
    I'm using 8898 tape on my rims. I found that the tires slide over the hump easier with the tape covering the hump rather than bare carbon hump.

When I mounted my BFLs last I slopped on some brooks proofide on the tape to get it nice and slippery. Only took 2 min to get the tire off a few weeks later. Previously I had my mechanic work on it for 45 min.

I used up all my proofide though, so when mounting my D5s I used turtle wax.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My gorilla tape is super wide and goes over the hump, and yep, I found the tire slid over it easier, again, also when setting it when I "helped" it by putting part of it in position.

I was almost dumbfounded when trying to get the tire off, but then I thought back to how I got it on and exactly reversed the process

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Subscribed

Laramie, Wyoming
    jayem, those are some good looking rims.

Elitest thrill junkie
    jayem, those are some good looking rims.
    Been rocking them for weeks now. Great rims.Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-powerline2.jpgLight-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-img_1254.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Do you use notice much difference from the stock wheels, other than bling? The weight difference is minimal right - around 100 grams?

Does stiffness matter on a 4.5" tire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    "Do you use notice much difference from the stock wheels, other than bling? The weight difference is minimal right - around 100 grams?

Does stiffness matter on a 4.5" tire?"

Light Bike 90MM is 650g +/- 30g

Clown Shoes are 960g @ 100mm
    Rolling Darryls are 860g with cutouts 1030 without @ 82mm
    Marge Lites are 690g @ 65mm

As for stiffness, I think what really makes a bigger difference is the decreased rotational weight.
    Climbing Builds Character

aka bOb
    My 2 Clown Shoes where both a ways north of 1000 grams each. Sure I lost 10mm but tubeless is a LOT easier and I lost about 400g each. Hell that's 13/4 pound of rolling weight so hell yeah it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Light Bike 90MM is 650g +/- 30g

Clown Shoes are 960g @ 100mm
    Rolling Darryls are 860g with cutouts 1030 without @ 82mm
    Marge Lites are 690g @ 65mm

As for stiffness, I think what really makes a bigger difference is the decreased rotational weight.
    I thought Jayem had a Fatboy, I was mistaking his bike from one in another thread.

Fatboy rims are 760 grams @ 90mm. So light bicycle rims save ~110 grams for fatboy owners.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Do you use notice much difference from the stock wheels, other than bling? The weight difference is minimal right - around 100 grams?

Does stiffness matter on a 4.5" tire?
    No fatboy here.

The rims are great though, no issues, built up pretty nice. Running revolution 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes. My original rims were 80mm On-Ones that I drilled. The difference in tire profile is noticeable, but they luckily don't push out the dillinger5s or the vee bulldozers so far that they interfere with my 170mm frame, which is also nice. I have one of the few 170 frames that is pretty happy with this combo.

If you want bling-look, there are some blue-anno rims out there somewhere that someone sells. Seen them on the trails several times.

I think these rims are pretty darn sturdy for what they are. I'm not so sure about some of the single-wall offerings, especially at this width, so these are doublewall and IMO a good compromise. I could have gone for the HED rims or something else if all I cared about was weight, but I was trying to kill a few birds, widen my footprint for the snow, drop some weight, stiffness, blue...

mtbr member
    Nice rims. I just ordered a set. fwiw, these are 650 grams. Fatboy 90mm Sl rims are 767 grams, but you also have to add the 55 gram rim strip, so they are actually 822 grams. Plus, if you are running the Fatboy's tubeless, they require a fair amount of tape to stay sealed. The LB carbon wheels require much less tape.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Light bicycle 65mm version officially available:

Light bicycle 65mm carbon rim

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Are these coming in right at 650g for people who have them?
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    I have a set of the 90's that will be showing up within a week. I'll put them on my digital scale and report back. They are supposed to come in at 640-655 grams as I ordered unidirectional with no decals or paint.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mine came in at 660 and 667.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Mine came in at 660 and 667.
    Thanks for the datapoint. Style? Paint gloss?
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    What type and width rim tape are you guys using?
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Bump, waiting for my Kahn. Sold the Fatback.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloxer13 View Post
    What type and width rim tape are you guys using?
    Used the 3" Gorilla Tape on mine, overlapped at the valve hole and punched a small hole through. Two months working good.

mtbr member
    this fat bike rim geometry looks great
    Life just like cycling,wanna balance,must move...

Facebook
    Tandellbikes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast