Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    aka bOb
    Sorry for all the confusion, we started discussing both rims!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    No worries here. I will attempt to be more specific in my wording so as not to cause confusion.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

aka bOb
    I am torn between the two rims and I think I might pass on both. No bead hook on the Light Bike rims and the Nextie not real sure on the looks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Correct, that picture was posted yesterday.

lol, I guess photo from yesterday could be considered old when you're checking this thread every five minutes, hoping for this LB rim to be officially available.

Kids these days.

aka bOb
    They (LB) did tell yesterday that their rim was going up in weight to 675 +or - 15g of coarse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Agreed, yesterday is old in this regard. I am subscribed so I get notice of each post and can read the comments before logging in to see the picture.

For me it is a desire to see the final product as it will be available. Often times items change a great deal from concept to completion. I am not in a position to purchase carbon rims at this time but am curious to see the final product.

I believe if done properly a hookless rim can work and work very well, again if done correctly. In my thought's it will be challenging to get it to work at such a shallow depth as they have in the drawing.

I am very childish in my pursuits but I generally I hold my excitement in check at least until I get a tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Correct, that picture was posted yesterday.

lol, I guess photo from yesterday could be considered old when you're checking this thread every five minutes, hoping for this LB rim to be officially available.

Kids these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Email received from Carolin:

It's OK to place the order for the fatbike rim. Please find the new attached cross-section drawing of rim and some pictures of raw rim.

The price is USD278/pcs and the weight is 630+/-20g

For the rims, do you prefer UD, 3k or 12k? Matte or glossy? 32H?

Which spoke drilling pattern do you prefer? Please find the attached pictures.

Fat & Single
    Hey Coyote, got the cross section pic for us ?

Cheers
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

aka bOb
    I still want to see an actual cross section look before I commit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-fat-bike-rim.jpgLight-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-26er-fatbike-rim-02.jpgName:  centered drilling.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  46.5 KBName:  offset drilling.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  53.1 KB

aka bOb
    Thanks, I got all them. I'm hoping for a true cut in half rim pic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A couple of those pictures look a lot like Sarmas and nothing like the cross section view. Maybe if they show us what they really look like they have to kill us.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's because those are pictures of sarma rims off of the sarma website.

[Edit: To clarify, the centered and offest drilling option photos are of sarma rims. The other photo and diagram are of the actual LB rim.]

My guess is that LB will have their own photos depicting the options soon. Or that they should, to avoid pissing off people in parts of the world that are more strict about copy restrictions.

mtbr member
    to me, cross section looks different then the photos. sloping side looks convex on the section image while it looks concave on photos. also the side of the rim transitions gradually into the sloping part in section while there is more of an edge on photos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Are you sure you're not looking at the sarma rim photos? Those are concave as you describe. The LB rims appear to be convex, exactly matching the supplied line drawing.

The post above yours may shed some light on the issue. LB used the sarma pictures when communicating with people via email to illustrate the options for centered or offset drilling. Confusing right? To many westerners, this will be viewed as an unreputable business practice, using a competitor's product photos to convey a concept.

Hopefully i'm not wrong about those photos. Has anyone else reached the same conclusion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I may have missed some pictures, I have tried to keep track of them, but may not have them all. In my view there are no pictures that show a rim with an inner profile matching the drawing. By inner I am referring to the inside in regards to the hub, where the spokes exit the rim. It looks like the tire bed matches the profile drawing, I am looking for the inner profile to match the drawing.

Am I missing a picture?

Thanks,
    Steven

mtbr member
    yeah, i was looking on post above mine. was wandering why they look different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I also got the email from Nancy and Carolin for ordering. They referenced the pictures of the Sarma rim for the purposes of describing the hole drilling. I actually asked her about the pics. Regardless, I ordered my rims, LB has been good with my last two orders from them. I never expect fast delivery, and my guess is I will be waiting for these a little longer than normal because they are new. I am going on reputation and history.

As far as the hookless bead, it's not a concern for me. I now own 4 sets of carbon rims with hookless bead and also the Specialized Fatboy rims with hookless bead. Never one issue running tubeless and low pressures (25psi for MTB and 3-4psi for fat). I think that people are misinterpreting that the fat tire and rim combo just offers more room to put the tire in the center channel area and therefore just feels sloppy, but in reality it's no different than any other tire/rim combo, as long as the BSD and the tires are made to spec and with in tolerances. Lets face it, with tubeless, if you run real low pressure, the tire has the potential to come off the rim. That said I have a quite a few rides lately where my pressure is 3-4 psi on my tubeless fatboy rim and GC tire combo with no issues at all. I am sure that's partially because when riding in the snow we are not pushing the limits of traction where peeling the tire off the rim is a true consideration. I've also ridden this combo in dry dirt at 8 psi and it feels solid. I was not feeling excessive tire movement, the volume makes up the difference I guess.

I understand those that want to wait, but that is just not for me. Way too impatient. Once I get the rims and build the wheels, I will be sure to report back. By then the snow will be long gone and it will be fat, rigid, dirt riding. Still fun though

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    as long as the BSD and the tires are made to spec and with in tolerances.
    This is where the question lays, I have seen a much bigger difference in all the different fat tires I have used than regular mtb tires. I'm not afraid of them falling off during use so much as getting them seated without blowing them off.

That being said I am as impatient as you and I will probably order soon but would still like to see an actual cross cut picture and they are kinda avoiding me on that request.

aka bOb
    Oh have they given anyone an rough estimate of when the LB rims will be ready to ship?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    This is where the question lays, I have seen a much bigger difference in all the different fat tires I have used than regular mtb tires. I'm not afraid of them falling off during use so much as getting them seated without blowing them off.
    I agree, but I think the tires I use, Specialized Ground Controls, are gonna be ok. That could change with other brands though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oh have they given anyone an rough estimate of when the LB rims will be ready to ship?
    They told me 20 day lead time, plus shipping time to US. 20 days is probably under estimated though.
    Last edited by bpd131; 03-22-2014 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-fat-bike-rim.jpg

I just received this.

Has anyone placed an order yet?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegulch View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat bike rim.jpg 
Views:	1251 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	883261

I just received this.

Has anyone placed an order yet?
    Thanks for the pic, I've been trying to get that out of them for a month now. I finally ordered a set about a week ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, I ordered 2 weeks ago. I don't expect to hear from them until the end of April.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ordered mine a few days ago... Hope these fair better than the Nextie rims...

aka bOb
    I just got an email from Nancy @ LB and she said mine should ship out this week. I'm not really holding my breath though, we will see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just "chatted" with Nancy and she told me the same thing. This was pretty accurate too. They said 20 day lead time and it has been just about 20 business days, maybe a few more, but not bad.

Puro Vida!

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

They're on the website? Didn't see them last time I
    Checked

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    They're on the website? Didn't see them last time I
    Checked
    Nope there are not. Nancy says they are to busy to update the website but......

Puro Vida!

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

Ok thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's a shame, that LB isn't well enough run to make timely updates to their website. That isn't to say I wouldn't buy rims from them. If the product is good and sold for a good price, that's enough for me.

But at the same time, competition is heating up and LB might have to figure out how to manage a proper website in order to compete. They were certainly one of the first chinese carbon direct companies to gain widespread public recognition. Yet others are hot on their heals. It should be obvious that a company selling products online should not look at their website as a secondary priority.

All this competition is good news for us consumers!

mtbr member
    My Light Bicycle order featured:

- fast accurate responses to technical questions
    - frequent accurate status up dates in production
    - fast hassle free shipping to my door
    - decent price on rims + shipping
    - product looked great out of the box
    - rims performing well on my bike

Having a great website would be nice, but it's the least of my concerns. I wouldn't hesitate to order more rims from them.

What worries me are the companies with the slick websites and crappy service/products!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

aka bOb
    I kinda wonder if they are just happy selling a few right now to see the response. Kinda a customer based R&D? Don't know but I'm excited to get them and I sure hope they work well tubeless.

Edit, or maybe their just to busy to worry about the sales of a few fat rims?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My Light Bicycle order featured:

- fast accurate responses to technical questions
    - frequent accurate status up dates in production
    - fast hassle free shipping to my door
    - decent price on rims + shipping
    - product looked great out of the box
    - rims performing well on my bike

Having a great website would be nice, but it's the least of my concerns. I wouldn't hesitate to order more rims from them.

What worries me are the companies with the slick websites and crappy service/products!
    I agree about their products being good. Keep in mind though, this isn't an either/or scenario.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I just received my 29er Bead Hookless wheels from LB....Excellent rims, great customer support.

I'm eager to see these fat rims built up....please post tons of pics as soon as you get them, and reviews after you ride them. My Moonlander might get a Happy Fall Present this year, if everything looks good.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    lightbikes typically starts selling the product prior to listing it on thier website.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    lightbikes typically starts selling the product prior to listing it on thier website.
    Good to Know, thanks!

aka bOb
    Anyone hear any news on LB rims coming in yet? They keep telling me I will get a tracking number but nothing yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone hear any news on LB rims coming in yet? They keep telling me I will get a tracking number but nothing yet.
    I got an email yesterday saying mine were shipping next week, but other than that it's been pretty quiet. I just got my 29er rims from them last week and they're damn nice looking so I'm pretty excited for these.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    I got an email yesterday saying mine were shipping next week, but other than that it's been pretty quiet. I just got my 29er rims from them last week and they're damn nice looking so I'm pretty excited for these.
    I have heard shipping next week or the next day twice form them now

aka bOb
    Mine shipped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We should make a betting pool on when this shipping product gets listed on the light-bicycle website.

I think this makes LB the first to market with a cheap carbon fat rim. Nextie almost beat them to it but then paused for modified BRD for better tubeless compatibility.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    We should make a betting pool on when this shipping product gets listed on the light-bicycle website.

I think this makes LB the first to market with a cheap carbon fat rim. Nextie almost beat them to it but then paused for modified BRD for better tubeless compatibility.
    Isn't that just crazy not to list a product? Maybe the first consumers are the R&D department . Nextie used some dude from Switzerland or somewhere like that to try the prototypes out.

Fat & Single
    Nextie are doing the revised rim with a different lay up so apparently the new rim will be lighter. Shipping anyday now after a successful tubeless test.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Nextie are doing the revised rim with a different lay up so apparently the new rim will be lighter. Shipping anyday now after a successful tubeless test.
    Dang that's good news!!

All fat, all the time.
    Can I ask a favour?
    Build one up on a blue Hope Fatsno, and by the time I have a frame, you should be bored with it & you can sell it to me cheap

Thanks haha

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post

Fat & Single
    That sounds like a good deal shark

I was let down by an online purchase of the spokes, have ordered DT Comps from a LBS here in oz, express posted and should be here today. Might have these "original" ones built tonight and some pics (hopefully)
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Mine are in the mail. What size spokes am I going to need to build up on the Hope Fatsno?

aka bOb
    Fresh off of the Tuna boat, 675g and 673g I was hoping for a little lighter but still respectable. It took me about a 1/2 hour to get the GC on the rim with a Clownshoe rimstrip even with Uncle ***** bead seat. Normally I would be pissed but with fat tires it was a welcomed endeavor. The best part was It fit so tight I got it to set up with a tire pump. Oh and just for reference this same tire mounted on a RD very easy and it was a little sloppy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-1794758_874239235934930_8349256952806888567_n.jpg  

Last edited by bdundee; 05-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast