Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Why do people think the HED is the holy grail of carbon fatty rims??? They're center drilled only which puts huge angles and causes unnecessary stress on spokes/nipples to the point that they won't even let anyone lace them but themselves. Yea. Epic. They're the lightest is all they can claim. The offset crowd can't use them and the symmetrical crowd shouldn't use them anywhere remote because epic spoke failure is looming around every bend. They produce nothing but road wheels and then drop a fatbike wheel out of nowhere? Where are the MTB wheels? Road wheels and a fatty wheel? What leads people to trust that design and declare it the best on the market? I don't get it. I wouldn't run them if you gave them to me! I don't like walking, hence the reason I ride. I most definitely don't like walking and pushing a bike at the same time!

Rant over...
    After you've taken a breath or two and maybe calmed down a touch, perhaps you could provide a little evidence to support your slander of HED's design?

I don't have a dog in this fight, don't care either way. Would just like to see some fact-based reporting instead of foamy-mouthed hyperbolic conjecture.

Put another way: I don't see a problem with HED's design. Please clarify why/how you do.

Cheers,

MC

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I figured you of all people would agree that spoke angle is a big deal. A 170mm hub with a wide flange going to a center drilled rim along with a short spoke is a bad thing, is it not? Is it ideal for a $2000 wheelset or would offset drilling be more reliable? If I'm wrong I'll go away and bury my head in the sand. HED praise is all over the net and people keep acting like they're the king of the carbon fat rim mountain at the moment but I can't find any evidence they've ever even made a MTB rim. Am I wrong? It appears to me they jumped on the fatbike bandwagon and people are falling for their inferior design. What would you recommend if someone is going to spend $2000 on a carbon fatbike wheelset? I have a feeling you're playing Devil's advocate and wouldn't want anything to do with their wheel on one of your week+ excursions.

And "foamy-mouthed hyperbolic conjecture" is the norm on Light-Bicycle threads Personally, I can't wait for their design to drop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Would just like to see some fact-based reporting instead of foamy-mouthed hyperbolic conjecture.

Cheers,

MC
    Are you not familiar with MTBR Standard Operating Procedure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wide spoke angle actually seems preferable if designing from the ground up for an optimal configuration. It sacrifices a bit of radial strength for greater lateral strength. Wheels are already rigid and well supported radially so it is a good tradeoff.

One issue could be the angle at which spokes enter the rim or hub. However the holes for nipples can be angled to eliminate any bend at the spoke/nipple junction. Some manufactures do this for that exact reason. Does HED? Similarly, hub flanges can be angled to be exactly inline with the spoke. If it were really a problem, it seems likely that hub manufacturers would have already tilted the spoke holes on fat hub flanges.

Granted, I don't know if inline or alternating offset spoke holes are better for a wide rim. For me that's secondary. I'm just looking for affordable carbon fat rims. HED is well beyond my budget so hopefully light-bicycle can deliver a significantly cheaper option.

This place needs an enema
    I figured you of all people would agree that spoke angle is a big deal. A 170mm hub with a wide flange going to a center drilled rim along with a short spoke is a bad thing, is it not? Is it ideal for a $2000 wheelset or would offset drilling be more reliable? If I'm wrong I'll go away and bury my head in the sand. HED praise is all over the net and people keep acting like they're the king of the carbon fat rim mountain at the moment but I can't find any evidence they've ever even made a MTB rim. Am I wrong? It appears to me they jumped on the fatbike bandwagon and people are falling for their inferior design. What would you recommend if someone is going to spend $2000 on a carbon fatbike wheelset? I have a feeling you're playing Devil's advocate and wouldn't want anything to do with their wheel on one of your week+ excursions.

And "foamy-mouthed hyperbolic conjecture" is the norm on Light-Bicycle threads Personally, I can't wait for their design to drop.
    Some of your points are potentially valid, but until I've seen one/fondled it/built it/ridden it/analyzed it, I'm not willing to go on record in any direction. Could be awesome, could be poopycakes.

I don't think HED is trying to hide anything by requiring that you use their builders. Anything potentially hide-able is going to be known after a ~season of riding, regardless. I think they're saving themselves headaches by keeping hamfists from killing a very light, very expensive rim through sheer ignorance if not exuberance. Misbalanced tension is a hallmark of the hamfist, and once you've pulled a spoke/nip through a carbon rim it's tough to go back and hit the do-over button.

Waiting for a minimum 100mm wide tubeless-ready carbon rim before I consider spending another penny,

MC

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Waiting for a minimum 100mm wide tubeless-ready carbon rim before I consider spending another penny,

MC
    I'd take two.
    Fatter than most.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    I'd take two.
    Same here.
    And I love beer!!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Me three

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can't find any evidence they've ever even made a MTB rim.
    You must be new to mountain biking.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Living the thug life.
    I have zero experience riding Hed rims (not by choice). I have, however, held the bare rim in my hands at a local fatbike expo. Bare rim was flexier IMHO than a Rolling Darryl. I have been told they are very stiff by owners when built. The rims scared me with how light they were honestly. That means NOTHING as far as durability.

The tubeless design looks to me the best I have ever seen and makes me want the rims based on that, and the glowing reports I have heard from riders.

FYI, HED did make mtb rims once. I think it was actually another manufacture's alloy rim with their carbon fairing glued on. Was all the rage in MN back in 1996ish.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    FYI, HED did make mtb rims once. I think it was actually another manufacture's alloy rim with their carbon fairing glued on. Was all the rage in MN back in 1996ish.
    They made a lot more than just that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.-image.jpg

Did someone say HED Mtb wheels?! I had a pair and for 1997, they were bad-ass!!

Huckin' trails

Light-Bicycle fat 90mm carbon rim.

^^ sounds very expensive. Looking expensively good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Off the back...
    Got an email from Carolin - LB 90mm fatbike rims "OK to order" at the end of the month. No details on price or wheelset availability at this point.

Vagician

How about some actual numbers? Offset vs non offset.

The holes on my marge lites are about 25mm apart. The spoke length is about 259mm. The distance between hub flanges is about 76mm.

When I do the math, that gives me a spoke angle at the hub flange of 5.56 degrees.

When I calculate it for a non offset, I would need about a 1mm longer spoke and I'd have a spoke angle at the hub flange of 8.39 degrees.

That gives a difference of 2.83 degrees.

Is 2.83 degrees a big deal?

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Got an email from Carolin - LB 90mm fatbike rims "OK to order" at the end of the month. No details on price or wheelset availability at this point.
    I can't wait to see these! And price too....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    any idea if lightbikes are doing a 65mm ish rim? i'm on CS's now but want to build a summer wheelset. Had ML's on my last bike and they rode super nice during the warm seasons.

Off the back...
    AFAIK, LB is just making a 90mm rim...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    any update on price etc? LB hasn't responded to my email
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Summer Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    any idea if lightbikes are doing a 65mm ish rim? i'm on CS's now but want to build a summer wheelset. Had ML's on my last bike and they rode super nice during the warm seasons.
    Not sure what frame you have but a great summer setup would be Rabbit Hole rims with Knards, or hopefully the Dirt Wizards by summer time. Compared to Clown Shoes and BFL, I bet you drop about 4 pounds.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    any update on price etc? LB hasn't responded to my email
    I got nothing yet. Watching the website though...
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Nuts
    Nextie said theirs will be about $270 each weighing about 670g.
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Nextie said theirs will be about $270 each weighing about 670g.
    That's not bad.... considering a Marge Lite here in Oz was $220 a rim.

(I buy from Jensons with a pricematch)
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Not sure what frame you have but a great summer setup would be Rabbit Hole rims with Knards, or hopefully the Dirt Wizards by summer time. Compared to Clown Shoes and BFL, I bet you drop about 4 pounds.
    interesting idea. i've got a Borealis. have a 'fork of many names' for the front summer use. do you legitimatly think that it'd be a significant weight loss vs a 65mm carbon rim + 120tpi nate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It seems these rims will be available tomorrow.

Kinda want some, but what I really want is something in the 70mm range, hookless, preferably well under 600gm and $250.

Too much to hope for?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast